Is Project Blowed crap? Discuss!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

As the only person I know of on this board that ever worked for a project blowed related label/ distributor I can say that a whole lot of you pay more attention to stereotypes of what your supposed to like rather than what actually sounds good...

I remember when I first started posting here, Ness said something about people treating music as a fashion statement. I didn't understand that at the time, but it makes sense in relation to the above quote. What a song/album sounds like isn't as important as the image that it provides the listener with.

Except it's all a straw man--I have yet to see anybody adduce any evidence in this thread that people's lack of interest in Project Blowed's music stems from anything other than it being not very good.

Then explain how you are able to dismiss 80% of the PB catalog without even listening to it.

would you eat every piece of a shit pie before you decided you didn't want any more?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

As the only person I know of on this board that ever worked for a project blowed related label/ distributor I can say that a whole lot of you pay more attention to stereotypes of what your supposed to like rather than what actually sounds good...

I remember when I first started posting here, Ness said something about people treating music as a fashion statement. I didn't understand that at the time, but it makes sense in relation to the above quote. What a song/album sounds like isn't as important as the image that it provides the listener with.

Except it's all a straw man--I have yet to see anybody adduce any evidence in this thread that people's lack of interest in Project Blowed's music stems from anything other than it being not very good.

Very little of what has been put forward, though, seems to relate to anything pertaining to production or emceeing ability - there's was the suggestion that the black community is not feeling project blowed, that they are a purely local phenomenon. That to me is more like a straw man; if it's crap, its crap - if the beats & rhymes don't measure up, then I can understand why people say they aren't feeling it. But when people criticise artists based on what their proportion of black listeners is, if they are liked by a college hacky sack players, or how well they are known outside of Califorinia...what is that except frivolous?

Well, I think you're confusing people's reasons for not liking the music of Project Blowed with the reasons why they would be moved to contribute to a thread like this.

For all of us, there are lots of artists whose music we find unengaging, but of that group, only a small percentage make sufficiently entertaining targets to actually joke about.

Project Blowed's fanbase is one attribute that places them squarely within this latter category. Archaic's obsessive devotion to them is another.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Then explain how you are able to dismiss 80% of the PB catalog without even listening to it.

Shied, I've heard the six records that you found sufficiently significant to list first and which everyone but you agrees represent the best of what Project Blowed has to offer and, at this point in my life, I have no interest in listening to any of them ever again. So, having heard the best schitt and been unimpressed by it, why must I now explore the recorded work of PB's third-stringers before dismissing the crew?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm serious about doing a Project Blowed special on tomorrow's radio show

I can't promise that I'll play any Project Blowed

How exactly would that work? Please inform, as I am hopelessly ignore[/b]nt.

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but "ignorant" is spelled with an "a" and not an "e"...

Now, to answer your question, it is perfectly reasonable to do a special on Project Blowed without playing any of the music. Project Blowed is about so much more than music and if you can't appreciate that you've missed the point entirely. PB is about zany graphic design, black owned and oeprated business, the longest running open mic in hiphop history, the four pillars of hiphop (with an extra emphasis on the doric), and driving buses. Also, many thanks for dignifying my absolutely silly post. I was worried that I'd crossed the line into too silly, but clearly I'm still comfortably within the boundaries just plain silly. Nice.

I look forward to discussing this further on tomorrow's programme. PB4EVA!

I'm serious about doing a Project Blowed special on tomorrow's radio show

I can't promise that I'll play any Project Blowed

How exactly would that work? Please inform, as I am hopelessly ignore[/b]nt.

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but "ignorant" is spelled with an "a" and not an "e"...

Now, to answer your question, it is perfectly reasonable to do a special on Project Blowed without playing any of the music. Project Blowed is about so much more than music and if you can't appreciate that you've missed the point entirely. PB is about zany graphic design, black owned and oeprated business, the longest running open mic in hiphop history, the four pillars of hiphop (with an extra emphasis on the doric), and driving buses. Also, many thanks for dignifying my absolutely silly post. I was worried that I'd crossed the line into too silly, but clearly I'm still comfortably within the boundaries just plain silly. Nice.

I look forward to discussing this further on tomorrow's programme. PB4EVA!

Location bonanza!!!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I pronounce this thread over. Based on the record jackets sumbitted as evidence in support of Project Bored, I conclude the following: it's obvious that the people inolved in the endeavour were colourblind, aesthetically impaired, and possibly not very bright at all. Despite never having heard any of the music, I'm confident that Project Bored was indeed crap. Posting anymore of those awful jackets will get you banned.

HAHA

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Archaic, let me assure you I am a big dude. I'm even bigger where Project Blowed is concerned. I also stand by my claim that the Project sucks giant golf balls. Tomorrow morning I will anounce this publicly in the "real world" (i.e. the world outside of my apartment). Anybody who wants to hand me my ass is free to make the attempt. My strong suspicion is that no one will care, but I'll see what I can do for attention. Maybe I can make some posters of the Project Blowed catalogue; surely that will engender some real world response.

prepare for a shitstream of angry emails from aceyalone.

• This thread is tepid.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This thread is tepid.

To Whom it May Concern - its ok but not worth owning
    guzzles,

mandru

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

At one of his shows, aceyalone once pushed up on this girl I was kickin' it with.

He was all like: "baby, I'll sing you a song if you sleep with me"

She turned to me & said: "H*w*rd, get me the fuck out of here".

on a positive note, has anyone given this a listen

"bounce" and "accepted eclectic" =

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    if aceyalone hit on your girl and you didn't pass that pussy (regardless of her interest) then you have fucked up the reputation of a successful black-owned, chocolate all over like an almond joy[/b] business.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The guy is a pretty good rapper. Gotta give him his due - he had a good quote lately about how people sweat book of human lang. & not his other stuff & he thinks that's BS. Somebody posted it.

• This thread is tepid.

mikah - plaese to kick a freestyle in order to shut down the hatters.

Who fucking cares about PB? The IMPORTANT thing about this thread is the Archaic bashing whichs always entertains the shit out of me. The rest of you need to shut up and let Fauxy continue, plaese. And cashless. Its not what they say that is of any importance, only how archaic reacts.

He's like a fish that knows what a hook is, but decides to go for that worm anyways... you know... just in case...!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Archaic, let me assure you I am a big dude. I'm even bigger where Project Blowed is concerned. I also stand by my claim that the Project sucks giant golf balls. Tomorrow morning I will anounce this publicly in the "real world" (i.e. the world outside of my apartment). Anybody who wants to hand me my ass is free to make the attempt. My strong suspicion is that no one will care, but I'll see what I can do for attention. Maybe I can make some posters of the Project Blowed catalogue; surely that will engender some real world response.

prepare for a shitstream of angry emails from aceyalone.

Emails are weak. Aceyalone needs to take this to the real world. He needs to hand me my ass on account of my PB bashing. Aceyalone: let me interview you about PB so that you can set the record straight about the catalogue's cover art. This is an open invitation. I'm all about the real world. Archaic chickened out, now it's up to you.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Wow, how does this conversation keep coming up, and it always end with the same results, hatters and non hatters? Amusing nonetheless.

I will say Porject Blowed has a pretty strong following in LA, in both the hood and in the hacky-sack circles. Although I have never seen any member of the PB hacky sacking. So while the blanket statement that alot Black people may not be PB listeners outside of LA might be true, they certainly are extremely familiar and do listen to them in LA.

Also in relation to Bone. You should ask some people that were around when Eazy-E first brought them to LA. There is a video of them sitting in Eazy's house trying to actually figure out what they were going to do as far as their style. Eazy has been quoted as saying something to the effect of (about both Bone and Atban Clan (BEP)), I don't know what I am gonna do with them but they are going to be huge.

my 2 cents.

• freaking hilarious...
    Nice little tea party going on in that pic...

Spot the difference?

Nah neither could I.

I love how EVERY single listener of PB are all hackeysack types.
    Call someone stupid long enough & OTHERS will believe that shit. Post a pic & it will subtley re-iterate that fact. But non-hackey sack types are soooo superior to them anyway. Pompous tough guys always go for the soft targets. Let me look at that pic again. Ha.. one DNA strain away I would believe.

As for NO black people listen to PB... What a retarded statement. If they wanted to target thier music towards white kids... Oh sorry, there's already a G-Unit in that position.

Why do i get the unnerving feeling from some members on SS, that anything that has intelligence & is black made is a bad thing & thaat anything ignorant & black is a good thing...

There's a lot of bad stereotyping in this thread in regards to racial listening patterns. Mostly by people on the wrong side of the fence talking about the other colours listening habits.

I admit Busdriver is a hard one to appreciate.
    And I celebrate the early PB catalogue. But like free jazz, their music is an acquired taste.
    But trying to be condescending by attaching a 'white only' fanbase as an indication of thier quality is amazingly tacky & patheticly overeaching.

btw..who is Wayne Brady?
    Is he a black American who only white people like? I always keep reading his name mentioned this way.
    Do hackey sack players like him?

"The Ponce".

• "but how can my mom be the devil if she's fixing me pancakes in the morning?"

-pigeon john (good life freestyle circa 1992-93)

defining moment in racial relations within the l.a underground hip hop scene.

As for NO black people listen to PB... What a retarded statement. If they wanted to target thier music towards white kids... Oh sorry, there's already a G-Unit in that position.

Why do i get the unnerving feeling from some members on SS, that anything that has intelligence & is black made is a bad thing & thaat anything ignorant & black is a good thing...

There's a lot of bad stereotyping in this thread in regards to racial listening patterns. Mostly by people on the wrong side of the fence talking about the other colours listening habits.

btw..who is Wayne Brady?
    Is he a black American who only white people like? I always keep reading his name mentioned this way.

Dude STFU. You live in FUCKING Australia.

What the fuck do you really know about Amedrican Black people other than what you see in movies and TV and what nasty fucking GI's bring over to your makeshift prison isle? The fucking AllBlacks don't count.

The reason G-Unit is popular with White kids is that they were once (if not still) popular with Black kids.

You seem more prone to associate what's popular with Black folk as ignorant than almost anyone else on this board. You define real shit as what Aussie kids rock.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What the fuck do you really know about Amedrican Black people other than what you see in movies and TV and what nasty fucking GI's bring over to your makeshift prison isle?

You define real shit as what Aussie kids rock.

What the fuck do you really know about Amedrican Black people other than what you see in movies and TV and what nasty fucking GI's bring over to your makeshift prison isle?

You define real shit as what Aussie kids rock.

only when I'm drunk

btw..who is Wayne Brady?

What the fuck do you really know about Amedrican Black people other than what you see in movies and TV and what nasty fucking GI's bring over to your makeshift prison isle? The fucking AllBlacks don't count.

The reason G-Unit is popular with White kids is that they were once (if not still) popular with Black kids.

You seem more prone to associate what's popular with Black folk as ignorant than almost anyone else on this board. You define real shit as what Aussie kids rock.

damn cashless, idiot has some good points. stop your banter, open your ears, and try to learn something for a second

There's a lot of bad stereotyping in this thread in regards to racial listening patterns

• Dude STFU. You live in FUCKING Australia.

No shit sherlock... But how can you say that NO black people listen to PB.

That's a blanket statement with no basis. As if a predominately black crew would have no fans of their own race/colour. That would be insane.

Who's the moron.

The All Blacks are New Zealand[/b]'s fooball team in name only, not in colour/racial make-up.

Totally different country dude. Oh & I wouldn't diss the AllBlacks bro. Not a good look.

The Pakehas & the Maoris have a much better race relations than we do or even you guys do. Soemthing we could all learn from. It's not prefct, but it's alot better than most invaded countries.

Pfft to your prison isle shit. That was 200 years ago dude.

Maybe you need some outside commentary to sort your head out. Were PB NEVER popular with black kids?

What do i define?

The mainstream club rap style is popular at R&B clubs where most of the people are less interested in the artists or musical knowledge. They strictly go for what is BIG in the US at the time. End of story. I do graphic design for a lot of those R&B clubs & talk about it with the promoters. They know the deal. As one of them once said to me, "The difference with you hip hop guys is that you are deep into music, whereas my customers care less about the actual music & more about the image". Those kids adopt a US style of clothing based on videoclip depictions of African Americans. The underground heads just look like a bunch of regular Aussie kids without the bandanas, Roca-Wear, skullies, hand signs & blingy look. Undergound heads support local acts. R&B club rap people could care less about the local scene. Probably becasue there is no faux glamour attached. None of them would even be on this site because they don't give a shit. If you played James Brown at one of those places, someone would come up & ask you to play something they could dance to. They don't play funk, we play funk. And we wouldn't even be allowed into those places becasue of what we wear..or don't wear. They have dress regulations, underground hip hop nights don't give a shit about that stuff. Probably the same over there.

And come of it. When others bring up Little Brother as wack, & then even BET says they are too intelligent for thier audience so they won't play them, it seems as though it is a negative thing to be seen as black & intelligent in the US. It's obviously not a moneyspinner so it isn't a focus. Stupidity gets lauded, while education gets demeand.

You have no idea whom i converse with so forget it mate.

I'm involved with a weekly (12 years strong) hip hop radio show (as well as club night, magazine, street press, record label) & the majority of touring artists go on our show & this stuff is always discussed & it seems to be a common subject that seems to annoy most of the artists that i interview.

So screw your ignorant GI reference. It's not from watching TV ya numbskull. Sober up fool.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

You sad little man. According to your logic, ones geographic location defines ones knowledge base.
    The GI statement is 100%
    the prison isle comment is just sad.
    and the mighty AllBlacks are the New Zealand Rugby team, not the Australian, you really dont have a fucking clue do you?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I think those blowed dudes, at one point, made some really dope music, but it definetly lost it's "appeal" when a lot of other members where putting out low-quality wack shit.

can I get an amen?!

And by the way... Amen.

i aint feeling PB at all.

Nor am i feeling ignorance.

• Spot the difference?

Nah neither could I.

WHAT, how can you possibly miss the obligatory hip-hop beards missing from the guys in the bottom pic.

No shit sherlock... But how can you say that NO black people listen to PB.

That's a blanket statement with no basis. As if a predominately black crew would have no fans of their own race/colour. That would be insane.

Like it or not, it's true. PB's fanbase is almost entirely White outside of Cali. If you were actually Black or even KNEW some non-backpacker Black people in America, you would know this. Once again, you're speaking on shit you have no clue about. So please do STFU.

Who's the moron.
    The All Blacks are New Zealand[/b]'s fooball team in name only, not in colour/racial make-up.

Man, I know that the AllBlacks are from NZ. I'm informed enough to even know who they are and why they're named that. But they are as close as YOU will get to Black people.

Maybe you need some outside commentary to sort your head out. Were PB NEVER popular with black kids?

You just ain't knowing. Never, never, never.

What do i define?
    The mainstream club rap style is popular at R&B clubs where most of the people are less interested in the artists or musical knowledge. They strictly go for what is BIG in the US at the time. End of story. I do graphic design for a lot of those R&B clubs & talk about it with the promoters. They know the deal. As one of them once said to me, "The difference with you hip hop guys is that you are deep into music, whereas my customers care less about the actual music & more about the image". Those kids adopt a US style of clothing based on videoclip depictions of African Americans. The underground heads just look like a bunch of regular Aussie kids without the bandanas, Roca-Wear, skullies, hand signs & blingy look. Undergound heads support local acts. R&B club rap people could care less about the local scene. Probably becasue there is no faux glamour attached. None of them would even be on this site because they don't give a shit. If you played James Brown at one of those places, someone would come up & ask you to play something they could dance to. They don't play funk, we play funk. And we wouldn't even be allowed into those places becasue of what we wear..or don't wear. They have dress regulations, underground hip hop nights don't give a shit about that stuff. Probably the same over there.

There you are again equating mainstream Black culture with ignorance. You've never dj'ed to a Black crowd in your life, so how in the fuck would you know any of this? You see a bunch of White Aussies posing like something they/YOU see on tv and you assume that's reality. You're cornball kid and you got a lot to learn about Black Culture.

I dj for Black crowds in the vast majority of gigs I play, VERY little of what really rocks the crowd (at least where I'm at) has NEVER been on BET, has never had radio play or major (or even reliable at that) distribution. The shit is underground (NOLA Bounce, underground Downsouth shit, local shit), but you would see it and say it's all ignorant BET influenced garbage because you don't know any fucking better.

And come of it. When others bring up Little Brother as wack, & then even BET says they are too intelligent for thier audience so they won't play them[/b], it seems as though it is a negative thing to be seen as black & intelligent in the US. It's obviously not a moneyspinner so it isn't a focus. Stupidity gets lauded[/b], while education gets demeand.

And when did BET say that? You're gonna have to pull a reference for me. Sounds like Okayplayer board rumor mill bullshit.

There you go again with your mainstream Black culture = ignorance. You're a racist homie. Get off that shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    At least now we have a vague understanding of why idiotproof's ideas about rap music are so fucked up.