Is Project Blowed crap? Discuss!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

When I say they'd fit, it's the beats I'm talking about. Recent tracks like CVE's Bobblehead and/or Hip Hop Kclan's Sounds Like would work just fine.

Post an mp3 or you're as soft as retirement home food.

Sounds Like can be accessed on this page:

http://www.emusic.com/album/10878/10878920.html

tepid hip hop terd by any standard

I tried...but I just can't NOT respond to this.

For someone sure to be smoking tepid hip hop terds in hell, that must mean you really like it.

Stop folling yourself. These mf's just ain't hitting. That track is garbage. Where is the fucking hook? Is there even any bass in that track? the shit sound unmastered and like it was done in one take. I bet it was done in one take. It's fucking sloppy as fuck. There are NO effects on the vocal track. The mic sounds like it was made by Realistic. These dudees have been making music since the dawn of time and still haven't stepped any of their games up.

And this is music that can fit a club format? The fuck?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    good life cafe was the shit str8 up, if you were in LA 89-93 you know what was up... & yes they did welcome white people, and considering even if you was a late commer in 93' that was 13yrs ago... most cats here were too young to member that shit... in 90-92 my man G'$ used to run the hip hop one network & we met there every thurs for our meetings & such... those were good days people actually trying to better the scene, once good life stopped & the blowed started shit changed, we had dj's w/ jacked names, who i might add was never at good life in those days, go figure... were any of you there when fat joe got lit up at good life? funny shit that was... i member when pistol grip pump was first delivered & people bugged the fuck out, specially since the good life no cussing rules were broken, i respected the no cussing rule, made mc's have to come correct... but i also member when we brought Freestyle Fellowship to NYC in 93' & i watched them get booed off the stage, so even back then people just didnt get it, but does it matter? the fact people get so up in arms about it, is quite funny...
    those days were the shit mad graf crews used to hold meetings at goodlife, mc's built together & just a good vibe all around, i miss those days, nothing better than a good life mission w/ a freeway bombing night cap...

Thanks for posting this--I'm always interested in hearing about this stuff when somebody can shed light on it in a rational manner.

For the record, I've never questioned the importance of the Goodlife as a venue--I just think Archaic's efforts to exaggerate the importance of certain acts that were involved in it is silly.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    good life cafe was the shit str8 up, if you were in LA 89-93 you know what was up... & yes they did welcome white people, and considering even if you was a late commer in 93' that was 13yrs ago... most cats here were too young to member that shit... in 90-92 my man G'$ used to run the hip hop one network & we met there every thurs for our meetings & such... those were good days people actually trying to better the scene, once good life stopped & the blowed started shit changed, we had dj's w/ jacked names, who i might add was never at good life in those days, go figure... were any of you there when fat joe got lit up at good life? funny shit that was... i member when pistol grip pump was first delivered & people bugged the fuck out, specially since the good life no cussing rules were broken, i respected the no cussing rule, made mc's have to come correct... but i also member when we brought Freestyle Fellowship to NYC in 93' & i watched them get booed off the stage, so even back then people just didnt get it, but does it matter? the fact people get so up in arms about it, is quite funny...
    those days were the shit mad graf crews used to hold meetings at goodlife, mc's built together & just a good vibe all around, i miss those days, nothing better than a good life mission w/ a freeway bombing night cap...

Thanks for posting this--I'm always interested in hearing about this stuff when somebody can shed light on it in a rational manner.

For the record, I've never questioned the importance of the Goodlife as a venue--I just think Archaic's efforts to exaggerate the importance of certain acts that were involved in it is silly.

The same dude who sings the praises of a Justin Timberlake album acting as if the Blowed isn't gritty enough for him is what's really silly.

The same dude who sings the praises of a Justin Timberlake album acting as if the Blowed isn't gritty enough for him is what's really silly.

'Shied, how does your post follow from my post?

What's the rational connection here?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

There is certainly nothing about DPG-era Kurupt that screams Project Blowed.

That's only because you know next to nothing about what PB actually is. That whole freestyle orientation of both Kurupt AND Snoop was not just a generalized LA thing...but something that had been cemented by the Good Life...a place that Kurupt was known to frequent.

The separation that y'all want to wedge between the plentiful g-rappers who attended the Good Life and the g-funk that was dominating the rap world based out of LA is a farce.

For No Reason and Six Tray by PEACE on the first 2 Fellowship albums are as gangsta as anything anywhere...yet y'all want to portray them as white-feeding granola rappers only. Y'all couldn't be more wrong...and it's disgusting that y'all insist on reveling in being so wrong.

Despite my best attempts to undermine this thread by being silly it still continues and continues and I'm bored to tears with talk of PB. Who cares? This is like listening to someone defend their last D&D campaign except instead of cool looking figurines we have lousy cover art and guys named busdriver. D&D and PB are equally dumb, but at least one has niftier acouterments. So help me that I ever care so much about so little.

PS Archaic, you're soft for not bringing it to me real world style on my radio show.

Stop folling yourself. These mf's just ain't hitting. That track is garbage. Where is the fucking hook? Is there even any bass in that track? the shit sound unmastered and like it was done in one take. I bet it was done in one take. It's fucking sloppy as fuck. There are NO effects on the vocal track. The mic sounds like it was made by Realistic. These dudees have been making music since the dawn of time and still haven't stepped any of their games up.

Address these issues, fucko!!!

You want to hate it so you manufacture reasons to hate it.

That's not addressing the SONIC issues with this track.

I'm going to start banning people for discussing this any more.

In sum:

=[/b]

Who wants to hear a song about my balls sung to the tune of "Thats Amore"??

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

if he don't like it, he don't like it, it don't mean that he's hatting

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Dude, what's more likely:

A. Thousands of people who used to like this stuff "manufacture reasons to hate the music" made by musicians that they have no emotional and/or personal connection to...

or

B. One person (you) "manufactures reasons to love the music" made by musicians that you have a very REAL emotional and personal connection to?

Occum's razor, homie.

Just for the record, I peeped the clip of the song and it sounds ok to me, but certainly not particularly club-friendly, ground breaking, and/or "relevant." I said it once and I'll say it again: you can only be "ahead of your time" for so long.

-e

I do! I do!

I do! I do!

OK!

Wheeeeeeeen my balls slap my thigh
    As they swing side to side
    Thats my ballsaaaaac

When they make a big sound
    As they drag on the ground
    Thats my ballsaaaaac

When I throw them over my shoulder
    Like 2 big flesh boulders
    Thats my ballsaaaaaac

When it looks like sasquatch
    Is attached to my crotch
    Thats my ballsaaaaaac

thats all I have so far. Its a work in progress.

I do! I do!

OK!

Wheeeeeeeen my balls slap my thigh
    As they swing side to side
    Thats my ballsaaaaac

When they make a big sound
    As they drag on the ground
    Thats my ballsaaaaac

When I throw them over my shoulder
    Like 2 big flesh boulders
    Thats my ballsaaaaaac

When it looks like sasquatch
    Is attached to my crotch
    Thats my ballsaaaaaac

thats all I have so far. Its a work in progress.

This song has a better hook than that PB shit did.

if he don't like it, he don't like it, it don't mean that he's hatting

I don't think you're built for the world according to Archaic.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

who wants noogies?

who wants noogies?

Is that busdriver?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yes

So it's not dripping with candy paint. Not EVERY club track has to. Sounds Like puts me in the same kinda zone that Gutta Gang's Gametime does.

So it's not dripping with candy paint. Not EVERY club track has to. Sounds Like puts me in the same kinda zone that Gutta Gang's Gametime does.

No more! (Unless you respond to my comparison of PB to D&D.)

A. Thousands of people who used to like this stuff "manufacture reasons to hate the music" made by musicians that they have no emotional and/or personal connection to...

or

B. One person (you) "manufactures reasons to love the music" made by musicians that you have a very REAL emotional and personal connection to?

Occum's razor, homie.

Just for the record, I peeped the clip of the song and it sounds ok to me, but certainly not particularly club-friendly, ground breaking, and/or "relevant." I said it once and I'll say it again: you can only be "ahead of your time" for so long.

-e

If you don't like Sounds Like, then you never liked Project Blowed to begin with. It epitomzes the entire PB steez.

or

Occum's razor, homie.

-e

If you don't like Sounds Like, then you never liked Project Blowed to begin with. It epitomzes the entire PB steez.

Ok, I've changed my mind. I want six more pages of this tripe. Can you elaborate on how "Sounds Like" epitomises the entire PB steez? I think I see where you're coming from, but I may need more clarification. Difficult material, this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    hahah this is funny

• Hey can everyone gather around for a picture?

thanks.

oh yeah, i think this be a 15 pager, but i'll settle for ten.
    Dizzy, care if i submit a verse?

Whennnnnnnnnnn Aaaaaaaaaaaaa
    thread goes to long and you grab the gold bond
    thats a ballsac

(pb triplet style) what looks like a turkey but doesn't gobble
    oh thats probably flesh marbles
    thats a biggity ballsac playa

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey can everyone gather around for a picture?

thanks.

thats a ballsac

now its gotten even better!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Just for argument's sake, let's pretend this is true. Does that mean that there weren't that many "real" Project Blowed fans in the first place?

It is my contention that the context is what's most important about the achievements of PB. "Innercity Griots" is a great album, but mostly because it was so avant-garde given what rap music (particularly west coast rap music) was thought to be at the time.

Basically, think it is perfectly valid to think that this song is no good even if it is very similar to an aesthetic that the PB folks were making in, say, '96.

Aesthetics change because they're dependent on context... and, of course, context changes constantly, especially in this here thing called rap music which is so dependent on "novelty" (not in a negative sense) and re-creation and re-contextualization (i.e. signifyin(g)).

Things done changed, man.

-e

• If you don't like Sounds Like, then you never liked Project Blowed to begin with. It epitomzes the entire PB steez.

Just for argument's sake, let's pretend this is true. Does that mean that there weren't that many "real" Project Blowed fans in the first place?

It is my contention that the context is what's most important about the achievements of PB. "Innercity Griots" is a great album, but mostly because it was so avant-garde given what rap music (particularly west coast rap music) was thought to be at the time.

Basically, think it is perfectly valid to think that this song is no good even if it is very similar to an aesthetic that the PB folks were making in, say, '96.

Aesthetics change because they're dependent on context... and, of course, context changes constantly, especially in this here thing called rap music which is so dependent on "novelty" (not in a negative sense) and re-creation and re-contextualization (i.e. signifyin(g)).

-e

hey Roland Barthes, you didn't like my nutsack verse? wtf?

Hey can everyone gather around for a picture?

thanks.

thats a ballsac

-e

hey Roland Barthes, you didn't like my nutsack verse? wtf?

Ha! Best zinger ever. But wait, maybe you're on to something here...