Is Project Blowed crap? Discuss!

Comments

• I know. The only one! And what's funny is he gave Busdriver a lift to his own show!

oh the irony of someone driving a dude named Busdriver anywhere...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I know. The only one! And what's funny is he gave Busdriver a lift to his own show!

oh the irony of someone driving a dude named Busdriver anywhere...

• oh the irony of someone driving a dude named Busdriver anywhere..

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    In Archaic's world, saying "I think they suck nowadays" outloud (i.e. on the internet) is the sole reason that nobody likes Project Blowed anymore (because every prior Project Blowed listener is also very easily convinced by carpet bagging journalism). Thus you're rooting against them any and everytime you dislike anything that they do or even voice a mild criticism.

The reality of the situation for FF and all the interesting dudes is that you can only be "ahead of your time" for so long. It happens to everyone. Archaic's too much of a fanboy to see that the times have caught up to these dudes.

-e

Maintaining a majority-black weekly open mic night tied to a community outreach center in South Central despite all of the best efforts of LAPD's riot squad is the epitome of ahead-of-its-time.

Plus those of you who jock Houston/Atlanta/Memphis/Bay rap yet continue to overlook CVE as distinctly ahead-of-their-time come across as hypocrites to me.

hey man, what do you care what soulstrut thinks? if you like Project Blowed, enjoy thier music, and stop giving a fuck what the next man's opinion is...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    hey man, what do you care what soulstrut thinks? if you like Project Blowed, enjoy thier music, and stop giving a fuck what the next man's opinion is...

do not underestimate the destruction that message board (and blog!) posts can cause.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Aceyalone "Golden Mic" is a good song, and Book of Human Language is a good album. I kinda like AWOLone sometimes, too.

That is all.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Someone should put up the poll,i would if i knew how to do it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    these arguments are pretty wack.

Bar none you like what you like.

Trying to judge musical tastes by what the perceived racial make-up of its fan base shows just how idiotic the person making this judgement is.

As the only person I know of on this board that ever worked for a project blowed related label/ distributor I can say that a whole lot of you pay more attention to stereotypes of what your supposed to like rather than what actually sounds good...

...and as much as I find archaic to a raging anti-semetic idiot most of the time he raises a good point with influence and location. Something tells me a lot of you dudes would be into some of these artists if their area code was different.

Have a fun afternoon on soulstrut.

D4L BATCHES

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1138228630magnetic">

Is Project Blowed crap?[/b]
    Yes
    No
    Only the Busdriver dude
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

As the only person I know of on this board that ever worked for a project blowed related label/ distributor ...
    You are not the only one though.

Trying to judge musical tastes by what the perceived racial make-up of its fan base shows just how idiotic the person making this judgement is.

I'm saying that their shit now is weak period, no matter who listens to it.

As the only person I know of on this board that ever worked for a project blowed related label/ distributor I can say that a whole lot of you pay more off of stereotypes of what your supposed to like rather than what actually sounds good.

Although it may be difficult, please try harder not to show your booty-hurtedness.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    hey man, what do you care what soulstrut Faux Rillz[/b] thinks? if you like Project Blowed, enjoy thier music, and stop giving a fuck what the next man's a damn internet message board[/b] opinion is...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Although it may be difficult, please try harder not to show your booty-hurtedness.

nope not hurt, truth be told I don't like a great majority of the project blowed stuff I've heard. But then again I'm not big on a whole lot of that southern stuff that a lot of these hatters seem to love.

Just think the fact that the color of audience was brought up in a discussion about the quality of music shows that people are not exactly listening to it with their ears

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

As the only person I know of on this board that ever worked for a project blowed related label/ distributor I can say that a whole lot of you pay more attention to stereotypes of what your supposed to like rather than what actually sounds good...

And didn't your reasons for disliking some subset of the crew have something to do with one of the dudes supposedly dogging your friend's little sister?

Could you elaborate on the relationship between that fact and "what actually sounds good"?

• Consensus seems to be that PB has some good shit and some dog shit.

Don't sound much different than every other fucking rap clique ever.

All that's left to do is argue the ratios.......

Compare/contrast the Hot/Not recorded output ratio of Project Blowed and, say, Wu-Tang.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Compare/contrast the Hot/Not recorded output ratio of Project Blowed and, say, Wu-Tang.

not a very fair comparrison.

• Compare/contrast the Hot/Not recorded output ratio of Project Blowed and, say, Wu-Tang.

not a very fair comparrison.

K.

Project Blowed v. Hiero

Hiero might lose.......

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Call me racist if you must, but their shit is not appealling to Black people because it lacks a "Black aesthetic". They shit is either dry as fuck, soul-less, devoid of funk, or weak when they attempt to emulate a popular "Black aesthetic", ie., "Southern fried".

Don't worry, I don't think you're racist, just ignorent. Any monolithic characterisation of a race is ignorent. Ok, maybe it's a little racist as well. Yep, I've changed my mind: you're ignorent and racist.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

And didn't your reasons for disliking some subset of the crew have something to do with one of the dudes supposedly dogging your friend's little sister?

Could you elaborate on the relationship between that fact and "what actually sounds good"?

No I didn't like Mikah 9 before that. Thats on a personal basis. Their music does not equal their personality. Mingus was an asshole but I love Fables of Faubus.

As far as Mikah 9's music goes:
    To Whom it May Concern - its ok but not worth owning
    Inner City Griots - perhaps the best album anyone from project blowed put out

I've heard a lot of his solo/collab stuff but don't know the titles of them. I can tell you that none of them really appealed to me though.

still wondering what skin tone has to do with taste.

I'm guessing its got something to do with being accepted in your own provate mind garden as a "down ass whiteboy"

correct me if I'm wrong

Call me racist if you must, but their shit is not appealling to Black people because it lacks a "Black aesthetic". They shit is either dry as fuck, soul-less, devoid of funk, or weak when they attempt to emulate a popular "Black aesthetic", ie., "Southern fried".

Don't worry, I don't think you're racist, just ignorent. Any monolithic characterisation of a race is ignorent[/b]. Ok, maybe it's a little racist as well. Yep, I've changed my mind: you're ignorent[/b] and racist.

nice. You're right, I just don't like Black people. There, I adme[/b]tted it.

So are you disputing the claim that few Black people like their music?

No I didn't like Mikah 9 before that. Thats on a personal basis. Their music does not equal their personality. Mingus was an asshole but I love Fables of Faubus.

Hey, nobody would even know about any of this crap if you hadn't chosen to introduce it on a music discussion board. That's all I'm saying.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I see little dudes who have neither heard but 2% of the material they speak on nor have ever stepped into the realm of the actual people who comprise Project Blowed trying every underhanded trick in the book to fuck up the reputation of a successful black-owned business.

Again, without the internet to hide behind, some of y'all would get your asses handed to you for pulling this same shit in the real world.

Fine, you don't think that PB has influenced anyone but hacky-sackers.

But what is the point of stooping so low in an attempt to bash them into non-existence?

Archaic, let me assure you I am a big dude. I'm even bigger where Project Blowed is concerned. I also stand by my claim that the Project sucks giant golf balls. Tomorrow morning I will anounce this publicly in the "real world" (i.e. the world outside of my apartment). Anybody who wants to hand me my ass is free to make the attempt. My strong suspicion is that no one will care, but I'll see what I can do for attention. Maybe I can make some posters of the Project Blowed catalogue; surely that will engender some real world response.

I'm serious about doing a Project Blowed special on tomorrow's radio show: would you like to be interviewed? I can't promise that I'll play any Project Blowed since I don't have any and I don't think the station's library has any either, but you're welcome to call me on my internet posturing in a real world forum. We'll debate the finer points of the Project and Busdriver and how I'm destroying the reputation of a succesful black-owned business. Here, I'll give you the studio number right now: 5064534979.

OK, I'm done with being obnoxious.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I'm serious about doing a Project Blowed special on tomorrow's radio show

I can't promise that I'll play any Project Blowed

• I see little dudes who have neither heard but 2% of the material they speak on nor have ever stepped into the realm of the actual people who comprise Project Blowed trying every underhanded trick in the book to fuck up the reputation of a successful black-owned business.

Again, without the internet to hide behind, some of y'all would get your asses handed to you for pulling this same shit in the real world.

Fine, you don't think that PB has influenced anyone but hacky-sackers.

But what is the point of stooping so low in an attempt to bash them into non-existence?

Archaic, let me assure you I am a big dude. I'm even bigger where Project Blowed is concerned. I also stand by my claim that the Project sucks giant golf balls. Tomorrow morning I will anounce this publicly in the "real world" (i.e. the world outside of my apartment). Anybody who wants to hand me my ass is free to make the attempt. My strong suspicion is that no one will care, but I'll see what I can do for attention. Maybe I can make some posters of the Project Blowed catalogue; surely that will engender some real world response.

I'm serious about doing a Project Blowed special on tomorrow's radio show: would you like to be interviewed? I can't promise that I'll play any Project Blowed since I don't have any and I don't think the station's library has any either, but you're welcome to call me on my internet posturing in a real world forum. We'll debate the finer points of the Project and Busdriver and how I'm destroying the reputation of a succesful black-owned business. Here, I'll give you the studio number right now: 5064534979.

OK, I'm done with being obnoxious.

HarveyCanal = Archaic? late pass I guess....

I'm serious about doing a Project Blowed special on tomorrow's radio show

I can't promise that I'll play any Project Blowed

How exactly would that work? Please inform, as I am hopelessly ignore[/b]nt.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I remember when I first started posting here, Ness said something about people treating music as a fashion statement. I didn't understand that at the time, but it makes sense in relation to the above quote. What a song/album sounds like isn't as important as the image that it provides the listener with.

• But what is the point of stooping so low in an attempt to bash them into non-existence[/b]?

I think you have some serious misgivings about the scope of Faux_Rillz' power. Not only is he an industry outsider, but he doesn't even have a blog.

I remember when I first started posting here, Ness said something about people treating music as a fashion statement. I didn't understand that at the time, but it makes sense in relation to the above quote. What a song/album sounds like isn't as important as the image that it provides the listener with.

Except it's all a straw man--I have yet to see anybody adduce any evidence in this thread that people's lack of interest in Project Blowed's music stems from anything other than it being not very good.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Except it's all a straw man--I have yet to see anybody adduce any evidence in this thread that people's lack of interest in Project Blowed's music stems from anything other than it being not very good.

Very little of what has been put forward, though, seems to relate to anything pertaining to production or emceeing ability - there's was the suggestion that the black community is not feeling project blowed, that they are a purely local phenomenon. That to me is more like a straw man; if it's crap, its crap - if the beats & rhymes don't measure up, then I can understand why people say they aren't feeling it. But when people criticise artists based on what their proportion of black listeners is, if they are liked by a college hacky sack players, or how well they are known outside of Califorinia...what is that except frivolous?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Then explain how you are able to dismiss 80% of the PB catalog without even listening to it.