Is Project Blowed crap? Discuss!

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after made vastly superior music.

Ouch...another sign of someone trying way too hard to be something they abviously aren't.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after made vastly superior music.

Ouch...another sign of someone trying way too hard to be something they abviously aren't.

What, exactly, do you think I'm trying--yet failing--to be 'Shied?

A BTNH fan?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

No BLACK people like Project Bored at all.

I don't know if this is accurate.

Why do people bring up how few or how many black people like a certain group/album in order to discredit it or validate it? It doesn't seem to have a place in the objective discussion of an artists' merits. I'm not trying to be snide or troublesome. I could understand if this came up in a dicussion about sociology & music, but not in one about aesthetics.

In the past the music of the Blowed has never been discussed (thats a far easier thread)

Its always been the sociological discussion in the past, and some remnants of that debate are resurfacing here

• Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after made vastly superior music.

A BTNH fan?

Maybe he means someone with good taste.

A BTNH fan?

Just tell me, how is this:

Different from this:

???

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    All white people look the same to Harvey

• my 0.02 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001....

A BTNH fan?

Different from this:

???

Nobody in the first picture is wearing a skirt.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I pronounce this thread over. Based on the record jackets sumbitted as evidence in support of Project Bored, I conclude the following: it's obvious that the people inolved in the endeavour were colourblind, aesthetically impaired, and possibly not very bright at all. Despite never having heard any of the music, I'm confident that Project Bored was indeed crap. Posting anymore of those awful jackets will get you banned.

PS I'm doing a Project Bored special on my next radio show. Anybody want to be interviewed in respect to the Movement?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    DANNO IS HIP HOP

WHEN YOU DIS THE BLOWED YOU DIS ARCHAIC

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

"You just aint knowin'"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Different from this:

???

The people in the first picture (a) no longer like most project blowed music and (b) clearly never understood project blowed music in the first place.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    my 0.02...

It's funny you think that, because white people were not welcome at the Good Life

It's not just funny, it's certifiably insane...as in dude has to pretend that certain realities that he full well knows about don't exist.

What's even funnier is that "white people were not welcome at the Good Life" is supposed to somehow affect our opinion positively of these guys and their music.

"Word? White people weren't allowed there? That's kinda hot!"

-e

• "You just aint not[/b] knowin'"

• my 0.02...

It's funny you think that, because white people were not welcome at the Good Life

It's not just funny, it's certifiably insane...as in dude has to pretend that certain realities that he full well knows about don't exist.

What's even funnier is that "white people were not welcome at the Good Life" is supposed to somehow affect our opinion positively of these guys and their music.

"Word? White people weren't allowed there? That's kinda hot!"

-e

so like, the Blowed always played to an empty house?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

"You just aint not[/b] knowin'"

A true fan

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Why do people bring up how few or how many black people like a certain group/album in order to discredit it or validate it? It doesn't seem to have a place in the objective discussion of an artists' merits. I'm not trying to be snide or troublesome. I could understand if this came up in a dicussion about sociology & music, but not in one about aesthetics.

Regards

h

It's straight up ignorant to minimize a whole ethnic groups musical taste like that. All black people like....

Of course a blanket statement like can not be %100 true. But damn, outside of "Pistolgrip pump" what song/songs/ep/lp/comp are any non-backpacker black folk checking for?

These dudes have been grinding since the beginning of time, some of their music was mass distributed but they still have yet to garner any attention from a Black hip hop audience. In my opinion, that's significant.

• No BLACK people like Project Bored at all.

Regards

h

It's straight up ignorant to minimize a whole ethnic groups musical taste like that. All black people like....

Of course a blanket statement like can not be %100 true. But damn, outside of "Pistolgrip pump" what song/songs/ep/lp/comp are any non-backpacker black folk checking for?

These dudes have been grinding since the beginning of time, some of their music was mass distributed but they still have yet to garner any attention from a Black hip hop audience. In my opinion, that's significant.

please to explain the significance.

I agree it means something; I'm just not sure what.

I mean, the majority of the guys making this music are black. Besides DJ Drez, are there any white Blowdians? I mean actually making this music?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Regards

h

Haz is right. Who likes the music has no bearing on the quality of the music. Sure, sociologically speaking it might be noteworthy, but it's irrelevant to aesthetic criticism. If this weren't the case all your private press records would be lousy on account of so few people, whether black, white, or green, ever giving them a listen.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Regards

h

and black people never really bought any Cecil Taylor or Albert Ayler records... does this make them better/worse than Crown Heights Affair?

personally, i could'nt give a fuck who listens to any records i have... i listen to some stuff that's popular and some stuff that isn't...

Regards

h

Call me racist if you must, but their shit is not appealling to Black people because it lacks a "Black aesthetic". They shit is either dry as fuck, soul-less, devoid of funk, or weak when they attempt to emulate a popular "Black aesthetic", ie., "Southern fried".

Straight up they DID make great music that a lot of folks Black and White should have heard and would have really enjoyed, but the further they got into their own worlds, the worse the shit began to sound. And there they are today with unlistenable music.

my 0.02

Regards

h

Again, so only the blacks that you whimsically feel like recognizing exist?

But beyond what you are so conveniently ignoring, Kurupt was a Good Lifer.

Regards

h

Haz is right. Who likes the music has no bearing on the quality of the music. Sure, sociologically speaking it might be noteworthy, but it's irrelevant to aesthetic criticism. If this weren't the case all your private press records would be lousy on account of so few people, whether black, white, or green, ever giving them a listen.

I'm saying that their shit now is weak period, no matter who listens to it.

Regards

h

Again, so only the blacks that you whimsically feel like recognizing exist?

But beyond what you are so conveniently ignoring, Kurupt was a Good Lifer.

If you have a crew that envelops a whole city, I would fucking pray that at least one good thing comes out of it.

Regards

h

Call me racist if you must, but their shit is not appealling to Black people because it lacks a "Black aesthetic". They shit is either dry as fuck, soul-less, devoid of funk, or weak when they attempt to emulate a popular "Black aesthetic", ie., "Southern fried".

Straight up they DID make great music that a lot of folks Black and White should have heard and would have really enjoyed, but the further they got into their own worlds, the worse the shit began to sound. And there they are today with unlistenable music.

my 0.02

OK, now the hate has officially reached an idiotic state.

1. Plenty of black people like Busdriver and Jurassic 5, let alone Big Arch and tha Badstads.

2. How is music, and we can look at the most jazzy of Project Blowed recordings for this purpose, influenced by bebeop and old school hip-hop not of a black aesthetic? Are you saying that Billy Higgins and Horace Tapscott weren't black enough for you? Are you biased against West Coast black in general who are known to speak with more of a Vally accent?

3. Does a black man, Ben Caldwell, opening a community outreach center, that caters to almost all blacks in the center of black LA really rub you the wrong way like that?

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    my 0.02...

No it's not. I just try to point out the stupidity of the post above.

There are probably a hundred MCs more or less affiliated to Project Blowed and the Good Life. Some of them chop, some of them don't. Some rhyme over drum&bass, some over jazz. Some of them make music for a living, other just do it for fun. Some made 10 albums, some never went to a professional studio...

How can anyone have a global opinion on them ?

[Plenty of black people like Busdriver

Not true.

Nobody but noz likes that guy. He has a one person fanbase.

You don't even like him.

my 0.02...

There are probably a hundred MCs more or less affiliated to Project Blowed and the Good Life. Some of them chop, some of them don't. Some rhyme over drum&bass, some over jazz. Some of them make music for a living, other just do it for fun. Some made 10 albums, some never went to a professional studio...

Better question...how could anyone be rooting AGAINST them?

• "Black aesthetic"

Laffy Taffy?

my 0.02...

I guess in that 100 more or less, there's great ones and terrible ones (even die-hard fanboy Archaic doesn't like Bus driver)...

If that's so, then how can anyone have an opinion on them as a crew AT ALL?!