Is Project Blowed crap? Discuss!

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    is this thread an attempt at making recently freed archaic appear?

like saying salma hayek?
    or bloody mary depending on how you look at it

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Did you say you liked Dipshit, sorry Dipset?

Intelligence is a sin on the Strut.
    I'm not even going to bother with this one...

Okay maybe just a little bit.

I'm so sorry to bust your bubble, but Aceyalone is fucking king.
    Runs rings around a zillion emcees.
    The new Magnificent City LP with RJD2 (yeah yeah, I can hear you tight panty wearing sniggerers in the background) is already one of my picks of 2006.

Abstract Rude, ATU, some of the others aren't my cup of tea, but FF were incredible.

VOLUME 10 was dope & you know it....

Very poncelike...

is this thread an attempt at making recently freed archaic appear?

HarveyCanal = the one Archaic

• Hot Potato = modern b-boy classic.

That track alone annihilates ALL of Faux's favourites... Kills 'em. Murders em'. Eats their babies...

Oh, unless he likes it.

I swear every b-boy event I play at they all know that track by heart.

"Freestyle Fellowship. Woooohhh!!!"

Signed,

The Down Under Procurer of Whores...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

This is a damned good album...easily better than Beanie Sigel's The B.Coming which was also good.

• is this thread an attempt at making recently freed archaic appear?

HarveyCanal = the one Archaic

boner killer

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    there is not enough chopping in this thread and i am appalled by the lo fidelity recording quality of harvey's posts.

• one of my all time favorites. even in a thread intended to rile up that dude archaic, i can't front on this record. its a great record from start to finish.

That shit sounds like a Bone Thugs N Harmony vs Free Jazz record!!!

Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after. & then stole a minor style of FFs & turned it into an overboiled one to create a monstrosity.

This is still one of the most amazingly creative & impressive albums, even 13 years later.
    You must be out of your mind to hat on it...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after. & then stole a minor style of FFs & turned it into an overboiled one to create a monstrosity.

prove it.

• ha ha! I caught myself typing project_blowed instead of prof_rockwell when I was signing in just now.

Anyways, Project Blowed is very hard to define, because technically it was a compilation of some of the better emcees to come out of the Good Life Cafe. And it kinda kept growing and growing. So yeah, Nonce can be considered part of this.

I have to ring the alarm on Beneath The Surface though, because that was more of an indie LA hip hop thing cause you have AWOL One and Shapeshifters, 2Mex, Xoloxiancinco and a bunch of other non-blowed folks on that. My boy scratched on it, and hell we both DJ'd at the Leimert Park sessions, so I guess technically we'd be Project Blowed too.

As for Freestyle Fellowship sounding like Bone Thugs and Harmony - BTH bit the hell out of that style. They were Eazy E's protoges, and PB was in South Central.

Locin' on the 'shaw holmes.

• Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after. & then stole a minor style of FFs & turned it into an overboiled one to create a monstrosity.

prove it.

I remember when they came out. I was working in a record store at the time.

To Whom It May Concern came out..91 or 92. Then 'Innercity Griots' in 93.

Bones Thugs 'Creepin' was at least a year later at the earliest. 94/95 ??
    They sound like corny music for little kids.

Weren't they midwest anyway. Not as though they were hanging out at the Good Life creating styles that FF then bit off them.

• Weren't they midwest anyway. Not as though they were hanging out at the Good Life creating styles that FF then bit off them.

They were Eazy E's protoges, and PB was in South Central.

• (re: Bone Thugs N Harmony) Weren't they midwest anyway. Not as though they were hanging out at the Good Life creating styles that FF then bit off them.

They were from Cleveland. As a 15 year old in '94 in Ohio, that was all you heard. But, as was pointed out above, since they were Eazy-E's project, that could explain the Project Blowed biting.

EDIT: Prof Rockwell beat me to it....

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Bone's Faces of Death came out 93ish. I would imagine they were rapping prior to it's release.

And while their style was not fully developed, one can easily draw a line from what they were doing on there with their later work, without intersecting the blowed.

• Bones Thugs 'Creepin' was at least a year later at the earliest. 94/95 ??

Bone's Faces of Death came out 93ish. I would imagine they were rapping prior to it's release.

And while their style was not fully developed, one can easily draw a line from what they were doing on there with their later work, without intersecting the blowed.

I don't even understand this debate in the first place cause BTH is on some serious type steez.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    it doesn't have to be either/or mayne.

creepin was a favorite of mine and many of my midwest dudes back in '94. not sure it still holds up over time, but it has its moments. Inner City still holds up IMHO. "park bench people" is a jammin ass song (freejazz included).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my 0.02...

No BLACK people like Project Bored at all.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Eevery time anyone types "Project Blowed sucks" on the internet, they as a collective lose 15 fans. It's an amazing process.

BTW "Innercity Griots" is great. I just get great pleasure out of ruffling Archaic's feathers.

-e

• while I was driving through the desert. or is it dessert?

you have to cross the DESERT bnefore you get to eat DESSERT come on man i learned that when I was 5 and it stuck.

Did you say you liked Dipshit, sorry Dipset?

Intelligence is a sin on the Strut.

dissing good music to make other good music seem good =

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    my 0.02...

It's funny you think that, because white people were not welcome at the Good Life

You're missing the forest for the trees.

LA gangs were spreading their business practices and cultural style nationwide at that point in time (see Ice Cube's My Summer Vacation). Thus we got Bangin' in Little Rock and Bone Thugs N Harmony.

• my 0.02...

It's funny you think that, because white people were not welcome at the Good Life

getting called a devil and being baited to say 'white power' by a bunch of thugs is

my 0.02...

It's not just funny, it's certifiably insane...as in dude has to pretend that certain realities that he full well knows about don't exist.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    whoops, shoulda read the whole thread...

• I won't even comment on all the aforementioned records. Many I like, some I don't, some are classic.

But I will say this:

On a good day, PEACE destroys nearly any MC out there.

Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after made vastly superior music.

• Apart from the obvious fact that Bones Thugs came waaaaay after made vastly superior music.

LOL Self

• Eevery time anyone types "Project Blowed sucks" on the internet, they as a collective lose 15 fans. It's an amazing process.

And every time they release a new album they lose another 100.

it's so hard not to hate sometimes when the wit just strikes unexpectedly.

BTW "Innercity Griots" is great. I just get great pleasure out of ruffling Archaic's feathers.

-e

I was gonna say, I would've thought you'd be an advocate for that album, out of anybody here...

Also, whoever mentioned something about 2mex and Xololanxinxo not being from Project Blowed? I have video footage of them rocking the mic on more than one occasion at the Goodlife Cafe back in 1993/94, I also know that they have been connected with acey, afterlife records, and project blowed SINCE the inception of Project Blowed. So that's bullshit. They are still Blowed. Not that it matters. Awol One and Circus and them, yeah maybe not them. but the Mexicano homies were definitely part of the whole thing.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't know if this is accurate.

Why do people bring up how few or how many black people like a certain group/album in order to discredit it or validate it? It doesn't seem to have a place in the objective discussion of an artists' merits. I'm not trying to be snide or troublesome. I could understand if this came up in a dicussion about sociology & music, but not in one about aesthetics.

Regards

h

• No BLACK people like Project Bored at all.

I don't know if this is accurate.

Why do people bring up how few or how many black people like a certain group/album in order to discredit it or validate it? It doesn't seem to have a place in the objective discussion of an artists' merits. I'm not trying to be snide or troublesome. I could understand if this came up in a dicussion about sociology & music, but not in one about aesthetics.

Regards

h

It's straight up ignorant to minimize a whole ethnic groups musical taste like that. All black people like....