Occupy Wallstreet 9/17 .... and now

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    funny, I think making election day a holiday would decrease voting.

give people a day off and they tend to go away, leave town, or sleep in and stay home eating cheerios and watching Breaking Bad in their underwear. seems to me most people that vote do it on their way to/from work or school, because they are already out and about. can't see how keeping those people home will encourage voting.

Moot point here in Oregon, we vote by mail.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    funny, I think making election day a holiday would decrease voting.

give people a day off and they tend to go away, leave town, or sleep in and stay home eating cheerios and watching Breaking Bad in their underwear. seems to me most people that vote do it on their way to/from work or school, because they are already out and about. can't see how keeping those people home will encourage voting.

we had mail-in for a city and county special election and participation rate was something like 40% lol

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

OK, so then why do you "support the federal holiday for voting?" Just cause you want the day off?

SoulOnIce said:
    LaserWolf said:

OK, so then why do you "support the federal holiday for voting?" Just cause you want the day off?

Federal holidays are not very important any more. I don't get them off. Unless you work for the state or federal government you probably are not getting Veterans Day or Martin Luther Kind day off, so I suppose most people are not going to get voters day off.

Election laws mostly belong to the states, and any state can make election day a state holiday if they want, so no need to write it in the federal constitution.

So I will change my support for a federal voting day holiday.
    NO HOLIDAY, GET BACK TO WORK!

Brian said:

Hello.
    Are you trying to tell me something?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I was assuming that your statement about mail-in voting versus an election holiday was in support of mail-in voting.

Brian said:
    I was assuming that your statement about mail-in voting versus an election holiday was in support of mail-in voting.

And...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    LaserWolf said:

Federal holidays are not very important any more. I don't get them off. Unless you work for the state or federal government you probably are not getting Veterans Day or Martin Luther Kind day off, so I suppose most people are not going to get voters day off.

Election laws mostly belong to the states, and any state can make election day a state holiday if they want, so no need to write it in the federal constitution.

So I will change my support for a federal voting day holiday.
    NO HOLIDAY, GET BACK TO WORK!

wow, you don't make any sense at all.

• Boo - fucking - hoo.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Martin said:

Rockadelic please join me at the meeting of the funny haircuts.

it's total anarchy, bring a toothbrush

• I'm all for people taking to the streets, and I know you guys over there certainly have a bunch of things that need to be protested..
    But is there any goal to these protests? What is the outcome these people are looking for?

Have to forgive my ignorance.. I live on the other side of the planet, and news on these events has really been non-existent around these parts.. I'm genuinely interested to know what result people want out of this..

• frenzie, i think its frustrating for many people that it is a rather amorphous protest. but i believe the general goal is to bring attention and call into question the corporate and financial control over politics and budget decisions.

bailouts of wall street with tax dollars with little reciprocation seems to be a prime example.
    if the occupy actions create a widespread discussion about what could or should be done or not done, i think they can be called successful. to this end, i hope that people are camped out for as long as possible

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    frenzie, i think its frustrating for many people that it is a rather amorphous protest.

Well, you know what? Fuck "many people". They are being protested against as well.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The New York Transit Union has now endorsed the protests and is encouraging their 35,000 members to join in. So there's that.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Time to iron some brown shirts!

Paging Delay!

• HarveyCanal said:
    tripledouble said:
    frenzie, i think its frustrating for many people that it is a rather amorphous protest.

Well, you know what? Fuck "many people". They are being protested against as well.

i agree

• and i gotta say its kindof a shame that people judge how pwoplw look based on their hair and style, but folks who take the time to protest should take that into consideration. i mean, in a way, fuck it, be who you are and let people judge if thats what they do. but if you want to be strategic and give media watchers a little less superfluous shit to fly off on tangents about, clean up, where a tie and do the same shit.

footage of the SF HUAC protest. protesters in suits 2:00
    police look like gestapo when they manhandle well dressed kids

• HarveyCanal said:

thats what the fuck im talking about!!!!

and fuck reagan too...air traffic controllers stand up! never forget!

• tripledouble said:
    and i gotta say its kindof a shame that people judge how pwoplw look based on their hair and style, but folks who take the time to protest should take that into consideration. i mean, in a way, fuck it, be who you are and let people judge if thats what they do. but if you want to be strategic and give media watchers a little less superfluous shit to fly off on tangents about, clean up, where a tie and do the same shit.

That is kind of a big point no? Fuck your $40 tie, my tshirts are $10 and come in packs of 5.

• im just talking about playing to the media and people who may be turned off by scraggly long hairs. personally, i dont care how people dress and i try not to judge. but arent there to raise awareness about certain issues? their appearance as far from the mainstream is often used to delegitimize their often valid issues for which they claim to be protesting. its like the billionaires for bush folks years back...dressed like young republicans so they could get some cameras on them and then they unfold subversive slogans.
    anyway, you can get a decent shirt and tie at most thrift shops for under 4 dollars. dressing like a crusty punk is more of a choice than a necessity of financial duress. they should dress as they please, but they do choose to dress that way and they could easily look more conventional for the cost of a 40 of old gold

• ok. what planet do you live on?

media is part of the reality thats going to shape the public perception regardless of whether you want it to or not...may as well think about the game that you get involved in and try to influence what you can to your favor.

how did you find out about the wall street protest? isnt facebook media too?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    ok. what planet do you live on?

media is part of the reality thats going to shape the public perception regardless of whether you want it to or not...may as well think about the game that you get involved in and try to influence what you can to your favor.

Media and public perception, to me, is a big part of what is being protested.

You are better than insulting the poor TD.

• people should also occupy big banks like BofA and Chase. This $5 monthly fee shit BofA is pulling is a perfect example of how these banks shaft their customers

• yo! how am i insulting the poor?!?
    ive said over and over again that people should dress however they want. but, if a style of dress is going to be used by general population, as well as the media, to discredit something that they are campaigning for...well then it may be in protesters interests to provide less distractions for people to judge and scapegoat. its a powerful, visceral thing for people to see grandmothers, servicemen, those airline people harvey posted, cops (in wisconsin last spring) , etc marching for a cause. general population cant just write it off as dead beat, marginal, anarchists but might make a visual connection of common background and shared interests. isnt it all about getting the message across? whats more effective? im hardly saying that there should be no freaky looking folks out there. if you knew me, youd know....thats my people!!!! but dont try to tell me that if in this next week, we saw the numbers of occupiers double with people in business suits, it wouldnt raise more attention.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Num,ber 1 post on Reddit right now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/kw3fx/to_all_occupy_wall_street_participants_here_is/

Guys, listen. Here's the deal.
    I love you guys with every shred of my hard-left leaning heart. But I think you might be doing something wrong. Here is one thing that can help you.
    Tomorrow, wear a polo and khakis
    Seriously. polos and khakis. Every time you guys DO finally get some fucking press, it's a scrawny dude with dreads in a ratty t-shirt. You're going big here, dress it. Tomorrow, Polo shirt and Khakis.
    Why? Because you need to get the right-leaning equivalent of me on your side. I'm 35 right now. I understand where the hippy thing comes from. I get it as well as a guy who's 35 can. My Counterparts do not. They think you are scummy druggies on welfare and when they see on tv a bunch of people who they think are S.D's on W, they root for the cops to hit you again.
    Speaking of the cops, Who do you think they'll mace first? SD's on W, or a guy in khakis and a polo? Seriously, it's fucking cop camouflage. And if they DO come for you. When people at home see PEOPLE THAT LOOK LIKE THEM getting abused by police... That's when shit changes.
    Seeing protesters get beat up means nothing because protesters get beat up all the time. Therefore, don't look like a protester! This connects you to the person watching and opens them to your side!
    So for serious. Do it. You're almost about to tip this thing over. Polos and khakis. Cop Camo + target audience = Shave, shower and polos and khakis.

TL;DR: Polo shirt and Khakis = dress code for nyc protests tomorrow.

Do it.
    Edit: Going to bed soon, one more thing before I turn it over to all of you.
    Please spread this as much as you can. Professionalism will help push this thing over the edge. You have labor pushing you. National Media is starting to wake up to you. You're almost there. Keep pushing.
    Think: Business Casual Friday. Don't play it up like the Billionaires for healthcare. You're just a guy, going to work in this big office building here.
    Even if you don't think that you SHOULD be judged on appearances (which I do agree), You have to realize that you ARE. Fight the appearance fight another day. Polos and khakis.
    Do it.

• thanks for the link, n---

i almost agree with this dude. i think what he's envisioning is S1Ws!!!!
    This disorganization is what's killed the modern protest movements. Whether it's this Occupy Wall Street, the protests at the trade summits, or the political conventions, it's always the same.
    The protesters never have any unity. They're just copying the protest techniques of the 60s.
    Here's the problem. Back in the 60s, these techniques were actually radical and subversive. In a society where everyone dressed in suits and had a 1950s work ethic, dressing in bell bottoms and tie-dye and sitting in a drum circle was quite radical. By doing so, you were rejecting the expectations of society. A disorganized mob dressed in bright colors and loose clothing was a very strange sight. It could actually shock middle America.
    That was 50 years ago. Nowadays a huge chunk of the country goes to work in jeans. A tie-dye t-shirt is downright conservative. A peace symbol and a drum circle don't make you seem like a revolutionary, but just like another disaffected washed-out hippy. It's old. It's stale. It's no longer effective.
    You want effective protest? Focus on ruthless discipline and unity. Have a unified message and well-defined platform. 5 key laws or constitutional amendments you demand to be passed.
    Forget flowing hippy clothes. Wear fitted uniforms. Pick a solid color, maybe pure white. HOLD AMERICAN FLAGS. When you march on Wall Street, literally MARCH ON WALL STREET. I'm talking a unified martial presence here. March in step. Let your unified footsteps echo through the streets.
    Forget random chants, singing and slogans. Have the protesters be completely silent. Only speak in a unified billowing shout.
    Imagine a regiment like this silently marching. Then 1000 people stop in front of a bank or trading house, look directly at them and shout:
    THIEVES!
    or
    COWARDS!
    or
    TERRORISTS!
    or
    SHAME!
    They shout their single damning word and then march on.
    That will get you some media attention. In this day and age, this is radical protest. The Occupy Wall Street protest is viewed as just another hippy-fest. You can't represent the seething anger of the populace if you are chanting peace and love. Your movement needs to be powerful, disciplined, and furious. Otherwise, it won't accomplish anything.

Nation of Islam dudes always dress up. Luckily, that alone has spared their image from public scrutiny.

• MLK used to require all protesters to wear they sunday best when they went out to protest.
    martin and z, i dont think MLK was hating on the poor

i dont think total uniformity would be a good thing though. there is strength in a popular front being diverse, leaderless and amorphous. wall street, washington and corporations should be getting condemned from all sectors of society. it would be wonderful to see a contingent of anarchists, two hundred clergy in suits, a delegation of crossing guards, the teachers union, grannies for peace and the fuckin S1Ws all out on the streets.