Occupy Wallstreet 9/17 .... and now

1131415161719»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Good thing you aren't all being played for tools by the ILWU.

Can you say "paid day off' or "Overtime pay"?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    z_illa said:

You along with Rock will not admit that crimes were committed in the mortgage industry. .

Dude....I've said many times in this thread and others that if any banker, politician or anyone else committed a crime(s) that they should be prosecuted.

• Chris Christie said: ???Here???s the way I feel about it: They represent an anger in our country that Barack Obama has caused. He???s a typical cynical Chicago??? politician who runs for office and promises everything and then comes to office and disappoints, and so their anger is rooted not in me or Mitt Romney, their anger is rooted in the fact that they believed in this hope and change garbage ... Now they are angry but they???re not mature enough to know they should be angry with themselves."

• What an asshole

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    z_illa said:

You along with Rock will not admit that crimes were committed in the mortgage industry. .

Dude....I've said many times in this thread and others that if any banker, politician or anyone else committed a crime(s) that they should be prosecuted.

You use they word if. They did. They aren't. We protest. Get it?

• barjesus said:
    What an asshole

Exhibit A.

• Martin said:
    sabadabada said:
    barjesus said:
    What an asshole

Exhibit A.

I think he was talking about you.

Does it matter?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Maybe I'm missing something... is it supposed to be considered some kind of hard-hitting analysis, that a prominent Republican would blame the country's ills on the President, like so many have before him? Is it somehow different coming from his mouth? It is, after all, his 'feeling'; an emotional statement; not thoughtful, logical, or grounded in anything concrete. The most interesting part:
    He???s a typical cynical Chicago??? politician who runs for office and promises everything and then comes to office and disappoints
    Take out the word 'Chicago' and he could just as easily be talking about himself, or any number of public officials across the country.

Equally interesting is that despite his apparent dismissal of it, Christie owes his election win partly to widespread anger at the finance/banking sector... as Corzine was the former CEO of Goldman Sachs, which seemed to turn a lot of voters off.

sabadabada said:
    Chris Christie said: ???Here???s the way I feel about it: They represent an anger in our country that Barack Obama has caused. He???s a typical cynical Chicago??? politician who runs for office and promises everything and then comes to office and disappoints, and so their anger is rooted not in me or Mitt Romney, their anger is rooted in the fact that they believed in this hope and change garbage ... Now they are angry but they???re not mature enough to know they should be angry with themselves."

Totally self-serving and inaccurate. Has Christie or Romney's names ever come off the lips of an OWS press release or announcement? I'm not sure how Obama has "caused" the almost total compromisation of our political process by large corporations with the sheer volume of money at their to disposal. This, IMO, is the main crux of the OWS argument. SCOTUS (or least 5 Justices that overturned longstanding precedent in Citizens United) is the culpable one, not Obama.

Maybe this is another pathetically myopic attempt by Goopers and Baggers to assert an "It happened on Obama's watch, so it's his fault" thing?

These also seems like another example of a member of the party that likes to claim that their moral core is based on the concept of personal responsibilty and not blaming others turning out to be a giant (no pun, Governor Christie) hypocrite.

• Martin said:
    sabadabada said:
    barjesus said:
    What an asshole

Exhibit A.

I think he was talking about you.

I wasn't. Its just lame, deeply cynical and doesn't address the fact that most of the problems we're having predate the current administration regardless of who was elected. It also offers no solution other than to blame the victims who he effectively is calling stupid children.

Fred_Garvin said:
    Maybe I'm missing something... is it supposed to be considered some kind of hard-hitting analysis, that a prominent Republican would blame the country's ills on the President, like so many have before him? Is it somehow different coming from his mouth? It is, after all, his 'feeling'; an emotional statement; not thoughtful, logical, or grounded in anything concrete.

You're not missing anything. The GOP is devoid of any new ideas. Look at their platform, for chrissake. So, instead of offering any up, which they don't have, they are running constant attacks on the President. That's all they have.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If Gingrich is the nominee, we wont have to worry about hearing about "Personal Responsibility", "Family Values" or "Morals Voters" he fails on everyone.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Fred_Garvin said:
    Maybe I'm missing something... is it supposed to be considered some kind of hard-hitting analysis, that a prominent Republican would blame the country's ills on the President, like so many have before him? Is it somehow different coming from his mouth? It is, after all, his 'feeling'; an emotional statement; not thoughtful, logical, or grounded in anything concrete.

You're not missing anything. The GOP is devoid of any new ideas. Look at their platform, for chrissake. So, instead of offering any up, which they don't have, they are running constant attacks on the President. That's all they have.

Right, Ron Paul isn't offering up any new ideas, none whatsoever. He isn't winning all of the Republican straw polls either.

HarveyCanal said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

Right, Ron Paul isn't offering up any new ideas, none whatsoever. He isn't winning all of the Republican straw polls either.

Ron Paul didn't win the Iowa straw poll, Michelle "Fishbone" Bachmann did. So no, he's not winning all of the Republican straw polls. He also didn't win the Georgia or Florida straw polls. That was Herman "Big Daddy" Cain. Same with the South Carolina straw poll. There are many, many others where Paul did not win, but I think you get the idea. Here's a link if you're so inclined:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_polls_for_the_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012#October_3-9.2C_2011.2C_South_Carolina_-_Orangeburg_County_Fair_Straw_Poll

Further, Ron Paul is polling at a whopping 10% nationally (which is no surprise considering he's not winning all of the GOP straw polls), also known as having a snow ball's chance in hell of getting the nod, aka few in the GOP give a shit about him. Also, Ron Paul's ideas are not indicative of where the GOP currently stands in 2011-2012., with the exception of lower taxes, deregulation and anti-choice.

I'm talmbout the real GOP and you're talmbout some fringe guy.

From you link:
    January 22, 2011, Derry, New Hampshire ??? New Hampshire Straw Poll

Results from the 2011 New Hampshire Straw Poll were as follows:[1]
    Finish Potential candidate Percentage
    1 Mitt Romney 35%
    2 Ron Paul 11%

Results from the 2011 Tea Party Straw Poll were as follows:[3]

Onsite Poll
    Finish Potential candidate Percentage Votes
    1 Herman Cain 22%
    2 Tim Pawlenty 16%
    3 Ron Paul 15%

Online Poll
    1 Ron Paul 49%
    2 Herman Cain 12%
    Combined Polls
    1 Ron Paul 36% 581
    2 Herman Cain 16% 256

Republican Liberty Caucus straw poll at the 2011 California Republican convention:[6]
    1 Ron Paul 17.8% 36
    2 Mitt Romney 10.9% 22

Source of results: Republican Leadership Conference[14]
    Finish Candidate Percentage Votes
    1 Ron Paul 40.77% 612
    2 Jon Huntsman 25.45% 382
    3 Michele Bachmann 12.72% 191
    2 Michele Bachmann 9 15%

Source of results: Washington Examiner and National Journal[19][20]
    Place Candidate Votes Percentage
    1 Michele Bachmann 4,823 28.6%
    2 Ron Paul 4,671 27.7%
    3 Tim Pawlenty 2,293 13.6%1

Source of results: [24]
    Place Candidate Percentage Votes
    1 Rick Perry 36%
    2 Ron Paul 23%
    3 Michele Bachmann 18%
    4 Sarah Palin 13%

Source of results: Hampton-NorthHamptonPatch[25]
    1 Ron Paul 45%
    2 Mitt Romney 10%

Source of results: Politico[26]
    1 Herman Cain 26% 232
    2 Ron Paul 25.7% 229
    3 Rick Perry 20% 179
    4 Newt Gingrich 18% 162

Source of results: Republican Party of Maryland[27]
    Place Candidate Percentage
    1 Rick Perry 25.8%
    2 Mitt Romney 21.2%
    3 Ron Paul 16.8%
    4 Michele Bachmann 12.5%

The California Republican Party held a straw poll in mid-September 2011, which was won by Ron Paul. The full results were:

Source of results: Politico[31]
    1 Ron Paul 44.9% 374
    2 Rick Perry 29.3% 244

The Florida Republican Party held a straw poll at the end of September 2011,[32] which was won by Herman Cain. Political analysts attributed Cain's win to Perry's poor debate performances, but others pointed to the fact that Cain won the Florida straw poll after campaigning in-person throughout the state more than Perry.[33]

The full results were:

Source of results: [34]
    1 Herman Cain 37.11% 986
    2 Rick Perry 15.43% 410
    3 Mitt Romney 14.00% 372
    4 Rick Santorum 10.88% 289
    5 Ron Paul 10.39% 276

Source of results:[42]
    1 Ron Paul 36.9% 732
    2 Herman Cain 22.5% 447
    3 Rick Santorum 16.3% 323

Source of results:[43]
    1 Herman Cain 52.6% 237
    2 Michele Bachmann 12.2% 55
    3 Mitt Romney 11.1% 50
    4 Ron Paul 10.7% 48
    2 Herman Cain 14.6% 15
    3 Mitt Romney 12.6% 13

Source of results:[45]
    1 Ron Paul 51% 35
    2 Rick Santorum 17% 12
    3 Newt Gingrich 12% 8

Source of results:[46][47]
    Finish Potential candidate Percentage (approx.) Votes
    1 Herman Cain 31%
    2 Mitt Romney 29%
    3 Newt Gingrich 21%
    4 Ron Paul 10%

Source of results:[48]
    1 Ron Paul 53.50% 229
    2 Herman Cain 25.47% 109

Source of results:[49]
    Finish Potential candidate Percentage
    1 Herman Cain 59%
    2 Ron Paul 16%
    3 Mitt Romney 11%

Source of results: [50]

Tally 1 (Iowa voters only):
    1 Ron Paul 82% 353
    2 Herman Cain 14.7% 63
    Tally 2 (non-Iowa voters)
    1 Ron Paul 26% 26
    2 Herman Cain 25% 25
    3 Rick Santorum 16% 16
    3 Rick Perry 16% 16
    5 Newt Gingrich 11% 11

Source of results: [51]
    1 Herman Cain 50.7% 176
    2 Ron Paul 45% 156
    3 Newt Gingrich 1.4% 5

Source of results: [52]
    1 Ron Paul 52% 1,907
    2 Herman Cain 18% 670
    3 Mitt Romney 14% 515

Source of results: [55]
    1 Ron Paul 38.26% 44
    2 Newt Gingrich 28.70% 33
    3 Herman Cain 13.04% 15

Source of results: [56]
    1 Ron Paul 30.5% 112
    2 Newt Gingrich 22.6% 83
    3 Mitt Romney 17.4% 64
    4 Herman Cain 16.1% 59

Source of results: [57]
    1 Herman Cain 32% 320
    2 Ron Paul 28% 282
    3 Newt Gingrich 28% 276

Source of results: [58]
    1 Ron Paul 52.2% 329
    2 Newt Gingrich 22.1% 139
    3 Herman Cain 13.3% 84

Source of results: [59]
    Finish Potential candidate Votes
    1 Newt Gingrich 32
    2 Ron Paul 20
    3 Herman Cain 17
    4 Mitt Romney 15

Source of results: [60]
    Finish Candidate Votes
    1 Ron Paul 59
    2 Newt Gingrich 24

Source of results: [61]
    Finish Candidate Percent
    1 Ron Paul 46%
    2 Herman Cain 25%
    3 Newt Gingrich 17%

I cherry picked these results. After the first few I left out candidates who polled in single digits. And I left out the tiny handful of polls where Paul polled in single digits or less.

Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

Ron Paul didn't win the Iowa straw poll, Michelle "Fishbone" Bachmann did. So no, he's not winning all of the Republican straw polls. He also didn't win the Georgia or Florida straw polls. That was Herman "Big Daddy" Cain. Same with the South Carolina straw poll. There are many, many others where Paul did not win, but I think you get the idea. Here's a link if you're so inclined:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_polls_for_the_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012#October_3-9.2C_2011.2C_South_Carolina_-_Orangeburg_County_Fair_Straw_Poll

Further, Ron Paul is polling at a whopping 10% nationally (which is no surprise considering he's not winning all of the GOP straw polls), also known as having a snow ball's chance in hell of getting the nod, aka few in the GOP give a shit about him. Also, Ron Paul's ideas are not indicative of where the GOP currently stands in 2011-2012., with the exception of lower taxes, deregulation and anti-choice.

I'm talmbout the real GOP and you're talmbout some fringe guy.

You can Paul a looney. I wont argue. You can criticize his positions. I will agree.
    But you (and the media and the pundits) do a disservice when all you all say things like "snow ball's chance in hell of getting the nod", "Ron Paul's ideas are not indicative of where the GOP currently stands in 2011-2012".

Now these polls do not predict any thing.
    They only tell us how the GOP activists who were motivated enough to participated voted.
    But it is those gop activists who decide who has a chance and where the gop stands.
    Clearly, from the data you linked to, Paul's chance is pretty dern good and reflects where the gop stands.
    Many of the people beating him in these polls are out.
    Newt and Romney, the ones we are told are non-fringe and whose ideas, some would have us believe, are in the gop mainsteam, are not doing well in these polls.

Call Paul whatever you like, but from how things stand now he is one of the front runners.

LaserWolf said:

You can Paul a looney. I wont argue. You can criticize his positions. I will agree.
    But you (and the media and the pundits) do a disservice when all you all say things like "snow ball's chance in hell of getting the nod", "Ron Paul's ideas are not indicative of where the GOP currently stands in 2011-2012".

Now these polls do not predict any thing.
    They only tell us how the GOP activists who were motivated enough to participated voted.
    But it is those gop activists who decide who has a chance and where the gop stands.
    Clearly, from the data you linked to, Paul's chance is pretty dern good and reflects where the gop stands.
    Many of the people beating him in these polls are out.
    Newt and Romney, the ones we are told are non-fringe and whose ideas, some would have us believe, are in the gop mainsteam, are not doing well in these polls.

Call Paul whatever you like, but from how things stand now he is one of the front runners.

Fair enough, and point made. Reasonable minds can diifer.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Back on topic!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2011/12/19/111219ta_talk_surowiecki

This is where it has all lead to. Corporations declaring bankruptcy not because they can't pay debt, but because they don't want to. Breaking unions is a side benefit.

img src="Homeland Security" alt="" />

Check local listings for a courthouse near you.