NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DWade - Always liked the guy and he showed he's a great player. His coughing skit was bush league but I'll give him a pass as he's seemed like a classy guy otherwise.

I'll say this about Wade: He never, ever has to cede any sort of leadership role to Lebron again. This series showed who's actually got a pair (#3) and who doesn't (#6).

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    HEY LEBRON HOWS MY DIRK TASTE

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There was one play in the second half where LeBron posted up and got an easy lay up.
    I dont know why Spolstra and staff havent figured this shit out?

I dont think they ran ONE pick and ROLL. I saw no big men posting at all.
    Bosh and Howard can pass back out the Post.

I asked LeBron for change for a dollar.
    He gave me back 75 cents since he has no fourth quarter.

I think the Dallas Defense has to be given credit for slowing down/shutting down Lebron instead of the "whats wrong with LeBron" critique. Teams now have a blueprint on how to play this team defensively.

Dirk is the first Euro-Leader of an NBA Finals team. Hakeem(international) predates him but played College ball in the states.

• Options
    batmon said:
    There was one play in the second half where LeBron posted up and got an easy lay up.

I think it's LeBron who hasn't figured it out. He just doesn't have a consistent post game at all, never has.

Congrats to the Mavs and their fans. It's too bad the series pooped out after a great start, but the Mavs earned this, especially Dirk. People who thought winning or losing wouldn't affect his legacy were wrong. This bumps him up on the all-time list.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:

I think it's LeBron who hasn't figured it out. He just doesn't have a consistent post game at all, never has.

Very true, and it's to his detriment. Jordan knew how to operate in the post. Hell, Kobe went and got some lessons from Olajuwon on how to work the post. Lebron should be a better post player than either of them, but he has no interest in it, apparently--better to just jack up ugly threes.

DJ_Enki said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:

Very true, and it's to his detriment. Jordan knew how to operate in the post. Hell, Kobe went and got some lessons from Olajuwon on how to work the post. Lebron should be a better post player than either of them, but he has no interest in it, apparently--better to just jack up ugly threes.

Dallas took away the drive/penetration. The three is what he was given.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Mark Cuban - I understand why people hate him....but every fan in sports wishes their owner was this passionate and willing to do what it takes to win.....his drunken interview on TNT after the game was more like watching a dude in a neighborhood bar than an NBA owner.

Props to this dude... fellow Mt. Lebanon High School alumni!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Lebron:

"... all the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today," James said. "They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that.

"They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point.""

This is definitely classless and un-Jordan like, but at least he has some perspective. It's just basketball people - now go back to your boring internet life while Lebron sips champagne and hangs out with Jay-Z in Fiji.

keithvanhorn said:
    Lebron:

"... all the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today," James said. "They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that.

"They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point.""

This is definitely classless and un-Jordan like, but at least he has some perspective. It's just basketball people - now go back to your boring internet life while Lebron sips champagne and hangs out with Jay-Z in Fiji.

Loser talk.

• Options
    DJ_Enki said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:

I don't know if he could ever be better than Hakeem, who was taller and had those quick soccer feet and was tutored by Moses Malone... but he should have been able to put a very good post game together. Maybe it's not too late but it probably is.

A lot of the straight out of high school guys seem to have flaws like this.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:

I don't know if he could ever be better than Hakeem, who was taller and had those quick soccer feet and was tutored by Moses Malone... but he should have been able to put a very good post game together. Maybe it's not too late but it probably is.

A lot of the straight out of high school guys seem to have flaws like this.

Better than Jordan and Kobe, I meant--none of them can top Hakeem. But given Lebron's size, strength, and quickness, he could be a beast in the post if he put in the work to learn that part of the game.

keithvanhorn said:
    in 2011, athleticism > smarts.
    :get_on_my_level:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I didn't really have a dog in this fight but I've been following Kidd since I saw him play in high school. My favorite Cal player. Glad he got his.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    Lebron:

Translation: Now that I've got my money, I don't care that much about winning.

And all you little people out there are the real losers.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    The only thing that can begin to redeem LeBron at this point is winning. He's a PR disaster at every turn, and his "image," such that it is, will only be helped by winning. Not a commercial, not a press release, not a charitable contribution. He's got to win. And, to win, he's got to put in work.

It's not just that he lost in his two Finals appearances. His playoff flameouts are just routine at this point. He needs to work on his game, get better, and win. Seeing a shrink would probably help- that has nothing to do with the nonsense he says about fans, the Decision, etc.. Hell, if I'm Miami, the scariest soundbyte from last night is, "Hey, I was good in crunchtime in the opening round vs. Philly." Bro, we didn't bring you here to win the first round against a 40 win team. He needs to work on his head while he's at it.

Also, we need to retire Jordan comparisons. I mean, dude was just so otherworldly good & focused... We'll know the next Jordan when we see him. It won't take a writer to point him out.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    batmon said:
    keithvanhorn said:

smarts was the underdog. also, if you switched the coaches up, athleticism would have won.

gareth said:
    The only thing that can begin to redeem LeBron at this point is winning. He's a PR disaster at every turn, and his "image," such that it is, will only be helped by winning. Not a commercial, not a press release, not a charitable contribution. He's got to win. And, to win, he's got to put in work.

It's not just that he lost in his two Finals appearances. His playoff flameouts are just routine at this point. He needs to work on his game, get better, and win. Seeing a shrink would probably help- that has nothing to do with the nonsense he says about fans, the Decision, etc.. Hell, if I'm Miami, the scariest soundbyte from last night is, "Hey, I was good in crunchtime in the opening round vs. Philly." Bro, we didn't bring you here to win the first round against a 40 win team. He needs to work on his head while he's at it.

Also, we need to retire Jordan comparisons. I mean, dude was just so otherworldly good & focused... We'll know the next Jordan when we see him. It won't take a writer to point him out.

Truth.

But I dont like to throw all the blame even in Game 6 on LeBron. He simply cant do it all the time.
    The Coach and the staff couldnt make any real adjustments due to depth and creativity issues.
    Where was the rest of the team in crunchtime? Their defense failed them as well.

And we need to stop looking for the next Jordan and let these dudes carve their own histories.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    keithvanhorn said:

smarts was the underdog. also, if you switched the coaches up, athleticism would have won.

Isn't coaching a matter of smarts?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    keithvanhorn said:

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

Zzzzzz

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Bets on Spoelstra getting fired?
    He is a terrible coach, lacks authority, and has no track record of success. Riley should just take this shit over and give LeBron the yelling at he needs.

I was also thinking re: Lebron today, perhaps he is exactly who he is BECAUSE he went from high school to the pros. He didn't have a year for a college coach to be the person in charge. He didn't have to do March Madness interviews and postgames. He didn't go through highs and lows of being on a team, knowing when to turn it on in crunchtime in high stakes settings (college). The small steps it takes to build as a player. He is failing mostly because of attitude and holes in his game he could easily fix with hard work. He has the physical tools to take over any game at anytime, but he just doesn't do it. He was given the world immediately and now is surprised people don't like his attitude and effort. There was one play in the fourth quarter where he was at the rim and dished to Bosh and I was like WTF? It was that play where I knew it was fucking curtains for the Heat. He doesn't want to be blamed for anything anymore. Additionally, Wade didn't play that hot either. The play where he bounced the ball off his foot? Could you picture Jordan, Kobe, shit, Gary Payton dribbling the ball off his foot in a tight situation?! These dudes are afraid of losing instead of having that intangible bloodlust to win. Perhaps creating a superteam is too much for them in terms of expectations.

The_Non said:
    These dudes are afraid of losing instead of having that intangible bloodlust to win.

I had this conversation at work today, and I think as I get older, the more interesting that becomes. I mean, I love watching LeBron from a physical talent standpoint. But, it gets more interesting to see who has IT, to be the MAN. Who has the mix of physical talent, and desire, and frankly balls, to get it done. It's why I think we need to dead the Jordan comparisons. I don't think we're going to see anyone with his ability, talent, desire, and drive for a long time.

I dont see the coach getting fired. They went to the Finals in their first year.
    Teams have to go through growing pains to get shit correct.

They would be ahead of the curve if they won the chip.

The Celtics Big Three is did it yet they were three old dudes that had sense of urgency and humility.

Dallas showed them real adversity and they folded. This should be advantageous for their growth.

They got this far based on talent and athleticism. The Championship Smarts should come.

Fuck them in the meantime.

Dallas beat those batches. This is so fuckin good for the game.

My Miami buddies who didnt watch Dallas during the season and playoffs, thought that Hollywood shit would prevale. Pause.

• faux_rillz said:
    Congratulations Rock and GeneP-- you and your squad deserve it!

Thanks man! That means a lot.

GeneP... Please change your avatar. I mean... how many years for Dirk to win?

• gareth said:

Is the statement and question related?

Thanks for the sentiments prior.

Also wanted to mention: we're not doing "D*rk" anymore. It's Dirk, or just Champ if you prefer. ;-)

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    I heard they might hire phil (twitter rel), and also bosh will be gone. As far as spo, he was completely outcoached by carlisle, but he did get to finals his first yr w this brand new team. Will be interesting to see what riley does in the offseason. As for lbj, his comments post game were classless and clueless. He just picked up another million people non cavs related hoping he fails. Best thing i heard was someone revoking his king crown and reducing him to viscount status.

GenePontecorvo said:
    gareth said:

Also wanted to mention: we're not doing "D*rk" anymore. It's Dirk, or just Champ if you prefer. ;-)

Note above: I did not use the pejorative D*rk.

• gareth said:

Congrats to both of you. You've been riding for Dallas and Dork

to be pedantic....

GenePontecorvo said:
    gareth said:

Congrats to both of you. You've been riding for Dallas and Dork

to be pedantic....

AHH... That was the heat of the moment. Last night, more than one drink. My apologies.

BTW, you have the best owner in sports. No doubt about that.

• LeBron =

1. Daddy Issues

2. Never had to work for anything as far as basketball career. When Jordo was 14 he had been cut from a squad. LeBron already had an NBA career ahead of him practically at that age.

3. Does not seem to truly love the game like the greats do, doesn't appear to put in the hours that greats like, well shit, the dude that just beat him: Dirk.