NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Man fuck that! Dork for life bitches!

That dude has some ugly shots and drives. Hence the name. Dude is a fucking champ and a winner and LeBonBon and Dwyane with their pretty asses cannot step. I say, fuck it, own that shit.

• Options
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Man fuck that! Dork for life bitches!

That dude has some ugly shots and drives. Hence the name. Dude is a fucking champ and a winner and LeBonBon and Dwyane with their pretty asses cannot step.

Dwyane certainly can. If I had to guess I'd say he'll end up with more rings than Dirk.

I just hope LeBonBon isn't along for the ride.

• Dirk #1

2011 POSTSEASON STATS
    GP MPG PPG RPG APG BPG SPG PER EWA* 21 39.3 27.7 8.1 2.5 0.6 0.6 25.33 5.7

It was Dirk's lack of fear while failing that propelled him to the top of the list. He served as a stark reminder that the best offensive player on a team of good ones (at best) must be ready to stand up even when he's staggering. A big reason Dallas was so good on offense was that Dirk played his game, taking every shot he should have. It kept his teammates in rhythm and allowed him to be HUGE in fourth quarters.

Dirk was not just an exemplary teammate on the court, he showed maturity and grace off of it, too. Dallas took pride in how it approached the game, and ultimately punished Miami. Dirk had a lot to do with that. (Previous rank: No. 1 )

• Dirk in sixth fourth quarters in the NBA Finals: 62 points.

Wade and LeBron in sixth fourth quarters in NBA Finals: 61 points.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    Dirk in sixth fourth quarters in the NBA Finals: 62 points.

Wade and LeBron in sixth fourth quarters in NBA Finals: 61 points.

Give credit to the Dallas D for not letting those two get to the cup easily.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    With a healthy Caron Butler can they go back to the Finals?

And i really would like to see Dallas against Zach and Gasol in a series.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    gareth said:
    The only thing that can begin to redeem LeBron at this point is winning. He's a PR disaster at every turn, and his "image," such that it is, will only be helped by winning. Not a commercial, not a press release, not a charitable contribution. He's got to win. And, to win, he's got to put in work.

It's not just that he lost in his two Finals appearances. His playoff flameouts are just routine at this point. He needs to work on his game, get better, and win. Seeing a shrink would probably help- that has nothing to do with the nonsense he says about fans, the Decision, etc.. Hell, if I'm Miami, the scariest soundbyte from last night is, "Hey, I was good in crunchtime in the opening round vs. Philly." Bro, we didn't bring you here to win the first round against a 40 win team. He needs to work on his head while he's at it.

Also, we need to retire Jordan comparisons. I mean, dude was just so otherworldly good & focused... We'll know the next Jordan when we see him. It won't take a writer to point him out.

So right.

James is more willing to coast on his bio than I'd previously thought. Right now, at the age of 26 - yet old enough to know better for a man of his basketball mileage - he has been shown to possess an inconsistent determinative instinct. No Mojo Hand. It's one thing to Twitter something along the lines of "this is the biggest game of my life" and actually feel the need to take an active role in the process. His post-game speech merely tipped a hand that was flaunted in the previous off-season: this man already has what he needs - adulation. LeBron James does not seem to care about winning for winning's sake. Winning a title is function following form for Number 6; this is a man who figuratively hopped a bus marked "EASY RING" and abdicated a leadership role in the process. In short: he's the same spoiled kid he always was, and only maturation will solve this mess.

Look: I can fathom that no one likes to be embarrassed with more than a billion people watching, and that a post-game press conference after a competitive defeat is hardly what can be considered a long-view, reflective atmosphere, but it's just one more log in the cabin James has been building for himself since High School. It's forgivable if it's Mike Miller saying these things, but not for a man who They call "King."

Dallas simply shut him down, just like the Detroit Pistons did to Jordan.
    Its not Rocket Science. Cats are wasting too much energy wondering why he didnt execute in crunchtime.
    There is more to basketball than running and jumping.

Dallas was more cohesive, and had a foundation in Dirk to work with. EXP.

Wade and them were starting over.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

lame. but I chuckled.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    LeBron =

1. Daddy Issues

2. Never had to work for anything as far as basketball career. When Jordo was 14 he had been cut from a squad. LeBron already had an NBA career ahead of him practically at that age.

3. Does not seem to truly love the game like the greats do, doesn't appear to put in the hours that greats like, well shit, the dude that just beat him: Dirk.

I hate to spoil the party, but:

Lebron is 26 years old and already a 7x all star with 2 MVP trophies and 2 NBA finals appearances.

Jordan didn't win his first title until age 28. He also hadn't accomplished nearly as much as Lebron by age 26.

I get a kick out of people talking shit about Lebron because he is obnoxioius, but as far as talent is concerned, he's easily on par with Jordan at this stage of his career. That being said, Jordan had a lot more room for improvement at age 26, whereas we might have already seen the peak of Lebron's game. And yes, Lebron is an ass, but many thought the same thing of Jordan, even his teammates (remember his gambling problems, arrogance, shots at teammates, the book "The Jordan Rules"?)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    James was 18 when he started in the the NBA; Jordan was 21. If my math is right, Jordan won his first championship at the end of his sixth season; James just finished his seventh. Jordan also had his two MVPs by that same year. Both men had been in every All-Star game they were eligible for. James made it to two NBA Finals (but not with the same team he started with) and in any case, his first visit was during an era where the E.C. wasn't playing at the same level of dominance as when Jordan and the Bulls had to punch their way (perhaps literally) through the Pistons. In any case, there may be other metrics to evaluate but comparing relative ages seems less relevant than years played.

Most importantly, the idea that James is "more accomplished" is rather significantly marred by his poor play in the last two post-seasons.

But as for the peak of James's game...all good players evolve, especially as they age. Physically, there's a limit perhaps, but in terms of utilizing skills, the ways in which players like Kobe and Jordan mastered fadeaway jumpers as they began to lose their hops is what elevated their game. James may be insanely talented but he's hardly mastered every available tool that's potentially out there.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BTW, this seems on point:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    mannybolone said:

While this is true, it's also sad.

I remember when being a sports fan did not involve rooting for or against millionaire players.

Hell, as a kid I was a NY Met fan and my favorite player, Nolan Ryan, pumped gas in Alvin, Texas during the off-season to make ends meet.

On the court these dudes are basketball players.....off the court they are millionaires and sometimes assholes.

Hate the player, not the game.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    And yes, Lebron is an ass, but many thought the same thing of Jordan, even his teammates (remember his gambling problems, arrogance, shots at teammates, the book "The Jordan Rules"?)

Yeah, but Jordan was an unrepentant asshole because of his otherworldly desire to win (and anybody who he perceived as endagering a win got to see just how much of an asshole he is) whereas LeBron is just kind of a whiny douche who papers over his failures by saying, "Yeah, well, I'm still rich, so suck it."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    didn't Jordan get his dad killed?

kinda hard to top that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

kinda hard to top that.

Did that ever make it past the Wild Rumor stage?

rootlesscosmo said:

kinda hard to top that.

I thought the Dad was a gambler too.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    mannybolone said:

yes! except the part about lebron's statement that his haters have to go back to their shitty lives is also applicable to his fans. well not really. the point is that lebron was being hated for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball or the mav-heat series. those people don't care that the mavs won, they just want lebron to lose. so to those people, lebron basically said - the fun can only last so long, now its back to reality. the more i think about what lebron said, and the circumstances, the more i agree with him.

as far as the youtube video's ultimate point, i think that the nba should go back to letting cities have territorial rights over their players (i.e., if you were born in philly, the sixers get the chance to sign you first). there should be a reason why you cheer on your home team.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    mannybolone said:

yes! except the part about lebron's statement that his haters have to go back to their shitty lives is also applicable to his fans. well not really. the point is that lebron was being hated for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball or the mav-heat series. those people don't care that the mavs won, they just want lebron to lose. so to those people, lebron basically said - the fun can only last so long, now its back to reality. the more i think about what lebron said, and the circumstances, the more i agree with him.

as far as the youtube video's ultimate point, i think that the nba should go back to letting cities have territorial rights over their players (i.e., if you were born in philly, the sixers get the chance to sign you first). there should be a reason why you cheer on your home team.

who is that dude in the video and why should i listen to him

srs question

rootlesscosmo said:
    who is that dude in the video and why should i listen to him

srs question

Hip Hop DJ & Blogger John Randolph aka Jay Smooth who is apparently known for a few things including his piece on "How to Tell People They Sound Racist".

Listening to Sports Talk radio on the drive home this evening a caller had a crazy theory.

Great players like MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, DWade and Tim Duncan not only have rings, they also had that killer instinct that made them champions.

Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley, Lebron, Karl Malone and Shawn Kemp...all unarguably great players....never won championships and also didn't have something in their lives that those in the first group did.

Fathers

Barkely has that killer instinct, he just couldnt get past MJ.

Alot of those dudes just couldnt stop MJ and that Bulls Team.
    He had excellent support that were on the same page and a good ass coach.

i dont buy it. dudes are reachin now.

Whats next, the horoscopes werent aligned ala The Fish That Saved Pittsburg?

• "This is Dirty Dirk aka Swish Fo'ty Won"

batmon said:

Whats next, the horoscopes werent aligned ala The Fish That Saved Pittsburg?

Did Set Shot have a Dad??

• batmon said:

I heard Barkley on Rome just last week and he point blank said he didn't have the same killer instinct as Michael Jordan, just to add to the discussion. I found it a bold and honest statement.

GenePontecorvo said:
    batmon said:

I heard Barkley on Rome just last week and he point blank said he didn't have the same killer instinct as Michael Jordan, just to add to the discussion. I found it a bold and honest statement.

No one has Jordans level of killer instinct, but Barkley willed that Phoenix team to the Finals that year.
    He went crazy that year.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    batmon said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    batmon said:

No one has Jordans level of killer instinct, but Barkley willed that Phoenix team to the Finals that year.
    He went crazy that year.

Exactly, and why the Jordan comps need to end... His talent level is pretty near or even below certain players. His killer instinct broke the fucking scale, and that's why he's Jordan and no one else is.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    Listening to Sports Talk radio on the drive home this evening a caller had a crazy theory.

Great players like MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, DWade and Tim Duncan not only have rings, they also had that killer instinct that made them champions.

Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley, Lebron, Karl Malone and Shawn Kemp...all unarguably great players....never won championships and also didn't have something in their lives that those in the first group did.

Fathers

Seems like a very iffy theory and the players involved were chosen to support it while leaving out players who don't fit the theory.

I don't think Larry Bird's father fits the picture. Isiah Thomas's father left his family when Isiah was 5 or 6. These two were pure killer instinct, among the best ever at their positions and multiple champions.

Meanwhile Chris Webber and Dominique had dads in place but are sort of the poster kids for 'lack of killer instinct.'