NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rudy Fernandez to Dallas is a very good look.

Only happy with this if they re-sign JJ......but I'm afraid this means DeShawn is gawn.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't like the Spurs trading away George Hill, but the SA front office doesn't often make bad mistakes, so I should wait and see how it plays out. But Hill was legit...sucks to let him go.

DJ_Enki said:
    I don't like the Spurs trading away George Hill, but the SA front office doesn't often make bad mistakes, so I should wait and see how it plays out. But Hill was legit...sucks to let him go.

I thought this was a strange move....isn't Leonard and DeJuan Blair the same player?

Rockadelic said:
    DJ_Enki said:

I thought this was a strange move....isn't Leonard and DeJuan Blair the same player?

Yeah, pretty much--or somewhere between Blair and Jefferson--but he's not the legit big man the Spurs need to play with Duncan, so why did they give up an actual rotation player for him? I dunno...curious move, and while I knew the Spurs were open to trading Hill, I figured they'd do so in order to fill an actual need, and I don't see how they did that here.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im very happy in gettin Hill. I just dont see where he fits in the rotation.
    Hes not bumping Collison out of his spot.
    Maybe he comes off the bench at the 2 spot or combo guard w/ any of the various wings in Indy.

Collison Price Ford Stevenson Hill
    Jones Rush George Dunleavy Granger

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Spurs seriously reached by taking Cory Joseph in the first round. Many thought he wouldn't be drafted at all.

HarveyCanal said:
    The Spurs seriously reached by taking Cory Joseph in the first round. Many thought he wouldn't be drafted at all.

Truedat, though the Spurs have a history of reaching on draft picks, and it works out well more often than it works out poorly. I'm more concerned about them dumping Hill, though I guess the trade makes sense if the endgame is to unload Jefferson (supposedly the deal with all the "the Spurs are shopping Tony Parker" talk is that the Spurs weren't actively looking to move Parker but were listening to offers and immediately responding with, "OK, but any trade with Parker also has to include Jefferson," which pretty much shut down all the conversations). But if that doesn't happen...ugh.

Of course, all of this is moot anyway as we're staring at a lockout. Joooooooooy!

• Options
    I can't even begin to understand picking Irving #1 over Derrick Williams. That's just nuts.

Kemba Walker at 9 was a steal.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Yeah, pretty much--or somewhere between Blair and Jefferson--but he's not the legit big man the Spurs need to play with Duncan, so why did they give up an actual rotation player for him? I dunno...curious move, and while I knew the Spurs were open to trading Hill, I figured they'd do so in order to fill an actual need, and I don't see how they did that here.

Even though Blair is undersized at 6-7 they play him at the PF spot. Kwahi Leonard is the same size 6-7 but will play small forward.

HarveyCanal said:

Agreed (This coming from the guy who said Derrick Rose would be a bust)

Last nights steals:
    Shelvin Mack @ 34
    Nolan Smith @ 21

Busts:
    Bismack Biyombo @ 7
    Enes Kanter @ 3

Most interesting picks:
    Jimmer Fredette - I think he'll score 15 - 20 a game on a Bucks team that sucks but can't play a lick of defense and won't start on a winning team.

Jeremy Tyler - The film on this dude from his sophmore year in High School are incredible. he left H.S. after his Junior year to play overseas. His traveling posse overseas included his Dad and Easy E's daughter. All reports are that he is a knucklehead supreme and has no interest in working on his game.

Longhorn picks...

Tristan Thompson - solid in the post, but can't make free throws to save his life.

Jordan Hamilton - streaky to dependable scorer, but can't play defense to save his life. Also responsible for that inexplicably bone-headed calling of a time-out in the tourney that cost us the game against Arizona.

Cory Joseph - he should improve over time, but at this stage I think I could take him one-on-one.

Longhorns not picked...

Dogus Balbay - never let him shoot, but I expect him to be picked up as a serviceable point guard for some desperate team.

Gary Johnson - I have a friend from high school, Mike Moten, who has been playing overseas for almost 20 years now, still going strong. Gary should follow his lead.

Rockadelic said:
    Most interesting picks:

Jimmer Fredette - I think he'll score 15 - 20 a game on a Bucks team that sucks but can't play a lick of defense and won't start on a winning team.

motown67 said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Even though Blair is undersized at 6-7 they play him at the PF spot. Kwahi Leonard is the same size 6-7 but will play small forward.

As a Warriors fan, do you think Monta Ellis already has his bags packed?

DJ_Enki said:
    motown67 said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DJ_Enki said:

As a Warriors fan, do you think Monta Ellis already has his bags packed?

The double undersized combo guard back-court is suspect.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Agreed (This coming from the guy who said Derrick Rose would be a bust)

Last nights steals:
    Shelvin Mack @ 34
    Nolan Smith @ 21

Busts:
    Bismack Biyombo @ 7
    Enes Kanter @ 3

Most interesting picks:

Jeremy Tyler - The film on this dude from his sophmore year in High School are incredible. he left H.S. after his Junior year to play overseas. His traveling posse overseas included his Dad and Easy E's daughter. All reports are that he is a knucklehead supreme and has no interest in working on his game.

I think Kanter will be a solid player for the Jazz.

Fredette's going to the Kings, not the Bucks. But your prediction sounds right anyway.

I think Brandon Knight will be a bust. I hope the Morris brothers both have good careers and retire on the same day.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I like Kemba, Nolan Smith, and that SDSU dude (Socal bias).

Really don't know why Kyrie Irving was chosen at #1.....

I like Kemba, Nolan Smith, and that SDSU dude (Socal bias).

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    yuichi said:

He has a good father.

The way it looks the Warriors are going to try to keep Ellis and Curry together but if it doesn't work Ellis will get traded during the season.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    motown67 said:
    The way it looks the Warriors are going to try to keep Ellis and Curry together but if it doesn't work Ellis will get traded during the season.

when in reality they should be shopping curry, who will never be as good offensively as ellis, and they will get way more value in return for curry (legit big that can make up for lee's lack of D... like nene...) plus be able to package him with one of the older bonehead contracts (andris)

they could never do that with ellis b/c they pay him too much. no teams will want to eat a bad contract to get at ellis. curry is much more attractive as trade bait with his rookie contract intact.

ellis should start at point, wright at sg to guard the faster guards in the west. simple. normal backcourt.

they should have hired a real coach too. but, hey, they're the warriors.

JimBeam said:
    motown67 said:

when in reality they should be shopping curry, who will never be as good offensively as ellis, and they will get way more value in return for curry (legit big that can make up for lee's lack of D... like nene...) plus be able to package him with one of the older bonehead contracts (andris)

they could never do that with ellis b/c they pay him too much. no teams will want to eat a bad contract to get at ellis. curry is much more attractive as trade bait with his rookie contract intact.

ellis should start at point, wright at sg to guard the faster guards in the west. simple. normal backcourt.

they should have hired a real coach too. but, hey, they're the warriors.

Completely disagree. Ellis is best as a scorer and has proven that he's not a point guard, although his passing is better.

Look, Ellis is a great offensive guard, but they are much much easier to find than a point guard. Curry is not elite, but he's pretty good, and will get better. You're not going to find much success building your team around a 6'3" shooting guard. If things don't work out, Ellis is the one to go, and he'll likely get something good as teams appear to be interested in him. Read the press reports. Philly, Lakers, and others have said to made calls about him.

If the Warriors do trade Ellis who is going to be their Offensive First Option/Consistent Volume Scorer.

Curry is no Iverson/Rose.
    Dorrell Wright??

Unless they get an above average scorer, I dont see how they can put up their usual numbers w/out Ellis.

Offense is the least of the Warriors worries. Look at how many people have gone in and out of that organization, Maggette, S. Jackson, J. Richardson, etc. and yet the team is always ranked as one of the top scoring teams in the NBA.

motown67 said:
    Offense is the least of the Warriors worries. Look at how many people have gone in and out of that organization, Maggette, S. Jackson, J. Richardson, etc. and yet the team is always ranked as one of the top scoring teams in the NBA.

06/07 - Davis/Harrington/Jackson/Ellis/J.Rich 5 very good dudes over 15 per. 106 per
    07/08 - Same team but J.Rich is gone. 111 per
    08/09 - Jackson/Crawford/Ellis/Magette - all over 17 per. - 108 per
    09/10 - Ellis/Magette/Curry.....Jackson(9games)/R.Williams/Azibuke - 108 per
    10/11 - Ellis 24 Curry 18 Lee 16 Wright 16 - 103 per slippin......

11/12 - Curry/Lee/Wright = 103????

I just see a big drop-off if they dump Ellis. Dude is a 20+ scorer. I dont see this current team picking up that slack if he goes.
    Curry and Lee and Dorell Wright are going to have to step the hell up to make up for Ellls 24.5 per.
    U see that happening?

• Options
    The Warriors should get rid of Ellis as soon as possible. I can't stand these kinds of players. Here's the Hollinger take:

"Ellis is talented enough that he may eventually become very valuable, but at the moment he is the league's most overrated player. He plays like he learned the game from watching Allen Iverson tapes, and I don't mean that as a compliment. Probably no player in the league took more ill-advised jump shots early in the shot clock, a particular problem in this case because Ellis isn't a good jump shooter -- he made only 33.8 percent of his 3s and 38.1 percent of his long 2s.

Ellis finished with a gaudy scoring average because he played a lot of minutes on a fast-paced team, but he was 47th among shooting guards in both TS% and pure point rating. Basically, he dribbles around looking for a shot unless circumstances force him to pass.

The most damning stat, however, is how much better the team played without him. Golden State outscored its opponents quite comfortably as long as Ellis wasn't around, and finished a whopping 11.4 points per 100 possessions better without Ellis -- giving him the single worst differential in basketball. "

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/hollinger/_/id/2751/monta-ellis

Good teams don't have players like this playing significant minutes.

Curry has room to grow and is a much better shooter than Ellis already. He's worth two of Ellis.

Dump Monta Ellis. Dude is a "volume shooter" and "Scorer" which translates to takes taking many ill-advised shots at the expense of his teammates.

batmon said:
    motown67 said:

06/07 - Davis/Harrington/Jackson/Ellis/J.Rich 5 very good dudes over 15 per. 106 per
    07/08 - Same team but J.Rich is gone. 111 per
    08/09 - Jackson/Crawford/Ellis/Magette - all over 17 per. - 108 per
    09/10 - Ellis/Magette/Curry.....Jackson(9games)/R.Williams/Azibuke - 108 per
    10/11 - Ellis 24 Curry 18 Lee 16 Wright 16 - 103 per slippin......

11/12 - Curry/Lee/Wright = 103????

I just see a big drop-off if they dump Ellis. Dude is a 20+ scorer. I dont see this current team picking up that slack if he goes.
    Curry and Lee and Dorell Wright are going to have to step the hell up to make up for Ellls 24.5 per.
    U see that happening?

you're the only one getting it here.
    everyone's quick to jump on the trade monta bandwagon, but nobody seriously thinks about what they're getting in return. you get more value with curry as teams are looking to shed payroll in the short term. with monta and his bloated contract, you get the same thing in return: overpaid shooter-- and one without monta's numbers.

if monta goes, the warriors will not only be worried about defense, but they'll be struggling to put up numbers. that's one more huge problem than they have right now. wright has heart, but is not on that level. curry is a good jump shooter that can't drive like ellis can, and a terrible defender. the rookies will be whatever. udoh isn't there yet, and he's a better PF than C. lee is "aww, i bricked my layup man, but i got my own board and kicked it out to a shooter!"

what they need is someone in the paint that can make up for lee's bullshit (is it any surprise that he's doing the exact same shit he was doin in NY? puts up some points, sucks on D, inhales long term contract dollars, rebounds from time to time... but a great locker room presence!!) and stop combo dudes that break down the (theoretical) perimeter D.

Ellis has been constantly asked to guard bigger 2's (kobe an em) and at least gives it the old college try. curry is lost, and not going to get better on the defensive end-- he's just too small.

those saying ellis can't be a PG has hardly seen dude at PG-- he's always been a combo guard and for most of his career, the ONLY go-to on the W's. He leads the league in mpg b/c they have no other options.Curry is WAY too small to guard even mildly large guards and dude SUCKS on defense. (but he's so likeable!!)

between curry and lee, i don't care how defensive-minded the coach is. they just can't put it together if they get rid of ellis. and they don't get a big center by getting rid of ellis-- they do with by getting rid of curry.

Mark Jackson will make Curry a better PG/Floor general.

batmon said:
    Mark Jackson will make Curry a better PG/Floor general.

FALSE.
    the assistant coaches might, but i don't see curry's ceiling as high as the consensus.