NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

1282930313234»

Comments

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Rockadelic said:
    I can't see the NY/NJ area supporting 3 teams.....the Nets moved to NJ because they couldn't compete with the Knicks within NY.

Not exactly. The Knicks screwed the Nets by getting the NBA to charge them a "fee" for sharing NYC. I forget the exact details, but the extortion amount was substantial and forced the Nets to dump Doctor J.

Who knows what would have happened if the playing field had been level? J still had a lot of good years left when it happened. And it's not like the Knicks have been tough to compete with very often since those days.

I went to many, many Nets games in the 70's...... my Dad was involved with the local Police Boys Club who would take 25-50 kids to each game. Getting free tickets was easy as they never sold out, not even after Julius arrived.

Yeah, the Knicks pulled some sleazy move, but the Nets weren't drawing well at all.

They only played the one year in NY after joining the NBA.

I think J in the real league at the height of his game night have been able to change things since the Knicks mostly sucked over the next 5-6 years. But they never got the chance.

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Snapping said:
    Rockadelic said:

Predicting failure 10 years down the road for OKC is a stretch at best. OKC has grown in a similar but smaller way than Dallas and have lots of transplants who appreciate the NBA in more than just a passing fancy. They are in my mind a MUCH better NBA city than San Antonio.College basketball is not that big a deal there.

OKC metropolitan area = 1,252,987 people
    Dallas metropolitan area = approximately 6.5 million

there is no comparison in terms of supporting a sports franchise

Are you a disgruntled ex-Sonics fan??

The Thunder sold out all 41 home games. OKC is a thriving city, unlike many urban areas, and the NBA is the only pro sport they have to spend their money on....they obviously won't have as many TV viewers as a city like Dallas but as far as selling tickets they're close to the Top 10 in the L.

Ticket sales account for very little influence in the bottom line. It is TV rights that has the clout. When you have a city with 6X as many people in it. You are going to have greater economic viability.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:
    This years NBA Playoffs/Finals was better than the entire College season.

It should be that way when comparing college teams vs pros, but I think the gap is a lot smaller when we're talking about basketball than other sports. There are years when March Madness beats the NBA playoffs entertainment-wise.

in the end the nba doesnt need to model itself after march madness or college ball.

that sentiment is usually coming from college fans who prefer that style of play over the nba.

the cream of the crop dont even stay in college. fuck a tuba.

• Options
    batmon said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:
    This years NBA Playoffs/Finals was better than the entire College season.

It should be that way when comparing college teams vs pros, but I think the gap is a lot smaller when we're talking about basketball than other sports. There are years when March Madness beats the NBA playoffs entertainment-wise.

in the end the nba doesnt need to model itself after march madness or college ball.

that sentiment is usually coming from college fans who prefer that style of play over the nba.

the cream of the crop dont even stay in college. fuck a tuba.

Of course they don't stay in college, but I'm not so sure all these one-and-dones improve the league. I think it's the opposite.

I think a move to two-and-done would be better for both the NBA and the college game.

I prefer the NBA but the league has real problems in a way that the NFL doesn't. It really does have teams that can't keep going as things are now.

I'm not so sure about the contraction issue, now that the overseas talent is starting to flow. But I'd happily get rid of the Clippers for long decades of crimes against humanity, and also the Knicks, just to hear the crying coming from New York.

Seriously, fuck Knicks fans and all their shit about the Clyde/Pearl/Bradley gang being the greatest ever. That "greatest ever" bunch lost against the THIRD BEST Celtics era as often as not. Calling them the best ever is like saying those Toronto Blue Jays winners were the best ever. You'd have to be an idiot to reach that conclusion.

youd be an idiot to think of getting rid of the new york market, because of goofy fans.

• Options
    batmon said:
    youd be an idiot to think of getting rid of the new york market, because of goofy fans.

The Nets can have that market. Better a Russian billionaire than James Dolan.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    batmon said:

The Nets can have that market. Better a Russian billionaire than James Dolan.

I couldnt imagine this area w/ just the New York Nets in Brooklyn.

Dolan is an ass, but the Nets have been shakey for a long minute. They couldnt even sell out during their two Finals.
    All that new Brooklyn money and transplants should embrace the Nets, but the Knicks history in NYC is way too deep.

I smell bitterness on your breath in terms on the Knicks G.O.A.T. teams of the 70's vs the Celtics. Whatever.

Despite New York's failure since the Ewing days, the NBA wont cut a Manhattan franchise out the game.
    There are gangs of Knick and Yankee fans outside of NYC. When the NY market does well it benefits the entire game.

At this point Melo, Stat and them have jump started that franchise. Tanking it at this point would seem very foolish.

• Options
    batmon said:
    I smell bitterness on your breath in terms on the Knicks G.O.A.T. teams of the 70's vs the Celtics. Whatever.

No bitterness, just amusement.

Thanx for the flashes of greatness, but u never panned out.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Shaq is supposed to join the TNT crew along with Charles and Kenny as the latest commentator. That should be interesting.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Shaq is supposed to join the TNT crew along with Charles and Kenny as the latest commentator. That should be interesting.
    Seriously? That will be utterly terrible.
    I mean turrible.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    mattB said:
    motown67 said:
    I mean turrible.

both of them trying to hog airtime it won't work

pcmr said:
    mattB said:
    motown67 said:
    I mean turrible.

both of them trying to hog airtime it won't work
    I mean Shaq is great for quotes and is a fun guy, but as a commentator?
    He's got such a mono-tone, drone voice.
    I dont see it working. At least, I dont see me liking it. Which is the same.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i hope they prep him and fix his voice
    don't give him the diva treatment and let him do what he want how he wants to

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mattB said:
    motown67 said:
    I mean turrible.

I understand why TNT would want to do it, but...no. Just no. Let the dude quip on Twitter, but do not have him in the studio.

Shaq has worked well in the past with that team.
    He wont be any different from Magic,Webber, or anyone else who knows the game and has personality.

Shaq wont eclispe Barkeys swag at all.

Stop hattin.

batmon said:
    Shaq has worked well in the past with that team.
    From the little I saw, I dont agree. I was cringing.

batmon said:
    He wont be any different from Magic,Webber, or anyone else who knows the game and has personality.
    But at least they can put more than two coherent sentences together. Shaq can't.
    And I didnt like Magic as a commentator either.

batmon said:
    Stop hattin.
    I can't. I have so much hatt.

Oh My Fuckin God Shammgod!!!

Sick.

Pet peeve for me and these games. No one seems to be able to get the release of a jumpshot to look right. It's just not fluid enough and it doesnt look like the player is holding the ball properly.

Getting close with the Jordan turn around at the top of the key against Allan Houston, but really I think the developers just need to work harder!