NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Okay he runs a blog, and has a section on Jazz.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    I met kareem when i was a youngin in the early 80s. Dude was super friendly and anything but a grouch. However, he is coming off a lil salty in all these media reports as of late. Apparently he wrote an open letter to scottie. Either way dudes a legend and can do whatever he wants in my opinion.

Dude was recently battling Leukemia so I'll give him a pass on the grouchiness.

He's facing mortality and seeing other, lesser players, get accolades he feels he deserves.

And he's guilty of that unforgivable crime.....he's "old".

motown67 said:
    Holy shit, check this out, it's a blog by Kareem dealing with Jazz.

http://kareemabduljabbar.com/blog/jazz/

Damn I wish we could have a Salma Hayek moment.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

Who's we?
    *rolls eyes*

Before he went down Shaq was playing some really good ball for Boston in limited minues. Of course, he did go down, which is what you could expect with the weight he's carried over the years and his age.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    fckvwls said:
    I met kareem when i was a youngin in the early 80s. Dude was super friendly and anything but a grouch. However, he is coming off a lil salty in all these media reports as of late. Apparently he wrote an open letter to scottie. Either way dudes a legend and can do whatever he wants in my opinion.

Dude was recently battling Leukemia so I'll give him a pass on the grouchiness.

He's facing mortality and seeing other, lesser players, get accolades he feels he deserves.

And he's guilty of that unforgivable crime.....he's "old".

I wasn't calling him a grouch, just pointing out that while Shaq seemed to revel in his career Kareem just never seemed to take much joy in his. I admire him in a lot of ways and I also understand the generational differences that are in play here.

Bill Russell is similar in some ways, but Russell always had a large number of close friends and was able to express great joy at times on the court and off. Russell also seems to have managed to find a lot more happiness in his old age than Kareem is finding in his.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mattB said:

Who's we?
    *rolls eyes*

We = him and his fans.

Why roll your eyes?

'cause I just got up and Im salty ;)

Kareem and Shaq have totally different personalities. Shaq is an extrovert that likes to be the center of attention. Kareem is much more reserved and introverted. You can't compare them. Find an interview about Kareem talking about UCLA and Wooden and you'll see plenty of joy in him. I've seen him interviewed about the books he wrote, and he didn't act salty at all. Also interviews about him and Bruce Lee, etc. Just sayin.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mattB said:
    'cause I just got up and Im salty ;)

Fair enough.

I think Shaq is great, but I don't want to see his mug first thing in the morning.

• batmon said:
    Kareem at least stands for something. These modern players dont stand for shit.

That's a good point. I heard a long interview a couple of weeks ago with Kareem on Mike and Mike and I could have listened to him talk forever.

• Oh man. Sad day that Shaq is retiring, cos it really means I am getting up there.

I was the biggest Shaq mark when he was at LSU and into the Orlando years. Was bummed he never did shit at LSU but then again Dale Brown could never coach talented teams that well. Had the Shaq shirt the Shaq rap cd when he went to Orlando.

Ha. They are showing Shaq breaking backboards on NBATv as I type this. Now they are showing his nicknames. Wilt Chamberneezy = LOL. He will always be Shaq Diesel.

GenePontecorvo said:
    batmon said:

That's a good point.
    What does Kareem stand for that modern players dont?
    (Im not having a go here, I dont usually listen to interviews etc)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mattB said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    batmon said:

That's a good point.

you should delete this post

• mattB said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    batmon said:

That's a good point.

He does shit like make films:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/02/20/kareem-abdul-jabbars-film-shoulders-giants-premier/

I cant, you quoted it.

(edit: replying to the batmon)

He's also written books on black history.

On the Shoulders of Giants: My Journey Through the Harlem Renaissance
    http://www.amazon.com/Shoulders-Giants-Journey-Through-Renaissance/dp/B0013TH6A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306985886&sr=1-1

Brothers in Arms: The Epic Story of the 761st Tank Battalion, WWII's Forgotten Heroes
    http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms-Battalion-Forgotten-Heroes/dp/0767909135/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306985886&sr=1-3

Black Profiles in Courage: A Legacy of African-American Achievement
    http://www.amazon.com/Black-Profiles-Courage-African-American-Achievement/dp/B001PIHVRG/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306985886&sr=1-5

Do some research.

Kareem was also an activist in the 1960s/1970s. He stood by Ali for example when he refused to be drafted.

P.S. - Do you know the shit he went through when he converted?

• Options
    motown67 said:
    Kareem and Shaq have totally different personalities. Shaq is an extrovert that likes to be the center of attention. Kareem is much more reserved and introverted. You can't compare them. Find an interview about Kareem talking about UCLA and Wooden and you'll see plenty of joy in him. I've seen him interviewed about the books he wrote, and he didn't act salty at all. Also interviews about him and Bruce Lee, etc. Just sayin.

Sure, but I'm mainly talking about his time in the NBA and his relationship to the game and the fans and even to other players. Remember how shocked he was by Magic's hug?

You're probably right about him being a natural introvert. That has to be hard when you're 7' 4" or whatever his actual height was and in an extremely public profession. (No way he was "only" 7' 2".)

His current gripe is why Magic has a statue outside, West is being built one, and he dont have shit.

I would be salty with the franchise as well.

Dude is a legend whose merits surpass his six mvp awards.

• Options
    motown67 said:
    P.S. - Do you know the shit he went through when he converted?

I remember this shit. There was one old sportswriter (I forget who) who would relentlessly refer to Kareem as "Lew Alcindor" for years after the change. Even as a kid I thought that was stupidly rude.

And then there was the tragedy when 7 people were murdered at the house he owned in DC, apparently as a result of a conflict with the Nation of Islam. I can see how he would feel very isolated with all that was going on.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    I agree w kareem, the dude has been long overdue for a fukkin statue. No disrespect to zeke from cabin creek but comparing their body of work, kareem def deserved a statue ages ago. At this rate shaq may even be getting one before jabbar.

Also, ill prolly get flack for this but as great and clutch as jerry was, really the iconic logo/face of the nba?? That 63 ft three was ridiculous, but i always envisioned the nba logo being jordans nike jumpan logo which is either equal or more recognizable by now. But i doubt this will be changing anytime soon.

Actually im prolly just salty that west has been talking shit about the lakers and been dead on, he called them old and unathletic. Btw him joining the warriors will prolly be a fail despite having a decent three.

Perhaps he hasnt gotten a statue yet because he wasnt a laker his entire career? Jerry was a laker Player/coach his entire career. Kareem was mega on the lakers but didnt win till they got magic. If i remember correctly he was an mvp the yr walton swept them. He was awesome as a laker but not quite as dominant as when he was a buck?? Older dudes please to enlighten.

• Options
    fckvwls said:
    Also, ill prolly get flack for this but as great and clutch as jerry was, really the iconic logo/face of the nba?? That 63 ft three was ridiculous, but i always envisioned the nba logo being jordans nike jumpan logo which is either equal or more recognizable by now. But i doubt this will be changing anytime soon.

You sound like one of those Republicans who wants to name everything after Reagan. West was a great player, no need to change the logo so fast. It's not like Jordan has gone unappreciated.

Nah def not republican, but my generation grew up watching jordan, as did the rest of the world who started tuning into jordan/nba at that time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    Was bummed he never did shit at LSU but then again Dale Brown could never coach talented teams that well.

You musta missed the years 1978 through 1981 and then 1986 as well. To my eyes, Dale Brown was/is a genius on many different counts.

HarveyCanal said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    Was bummed he never did shit at LSU but then again Dale Brown could never coach talented teams that well.

You musta missed the years 1978 through 1981 and then 1986 as well. To my eyes, Dale Brown was/is a genius on many different counts.

Watching the Dale Brown show with guest Jose Vargas is one of the Top Ten funniest things I've ever seen on TV.