NBA PLAYOFFS BATCHES!

Comments

• Options
    mattB said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    fckvwls said:
    Yah batmon, dunno why they didnt use marion even more. The matrix was ridiculous tonite. I still dont know how his free throws go in?

Really. When he shoots a free throw it looks like a frog vomiting up a golf ball.
    At least it's a consistent puke. Not like the ones thrown up by that brick-layer Haywood.

Haywood was pissed that Chandler got the starting slot. He should shut up.

This is amusing:

"Coach Rick Carlisle refuses to make a firm commitment, but all indications are that the Dallas Mavericks' starting center won't be the guy they gave a six-year, $54 million contract this summer.

Tyson Chandler started Wednesday's season-opening win over the Charlotte Bobcats with Brendan Haywood coming off the bench. Carlisle left himself some wiggle room but strongly hinted that he planned to continue using Chandler as the starter.

"They're both top-10 centers in the league," Carlisle said. "I don't think there's any question about that, so you can flip a coin."

Carlisle maybe talks up his own players a bit too much...

And $54 million doesn't buy what it used to.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Is that quote from The Onion?

• Options
    mattB said:
    Is that quote from The Onion?

I know, reads like it. But no.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mattB said:
    God it makes me physically ill watching someone in the finals of the top competition in the world shoot 30 - 40% from the free throw line with a different shot every time.

There are a zillion 6 foot dudes in any gym in the world that can shoot better free throws.

I can shoot better free throws.

None of us are 7 feet tall.

If they cared more about winning these guys who can't shoot free throws would try Rick Barry's diaper shot.

But that would look funny.

Chamberlain tried that. Didn't help much.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    jjrocks said:
    If they cared more about winning these guys who can't shoot free throws would try Rick Barry's diaper shot.

Exactly....the average FT % in the NBA is 73%

The only players post-60's I know of that used the underhanded "Granny" shot besides Rick Barry (Willie Somerset, George Lehman, Wilt) shot a combined 70%

Even in the 40's and 50's when the shot was much more commonplace the best FT shooter was Bill Sharman who shot overhanded.

Rick Barry was a freak......he probably could have shot 90% overhanded too.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    jjrocks said:

Exactly....the average FT % in the NBA is 73%

The only players post-60's I know of that used the underhanded "Granny" shot besides Rick Barry (Willie Somerset, George Lehman, Wilt) shot a combined 70%

Even in the 40's and 50's when the shot was much more commonplace the best FT shooter was Bill Sharman who shot overhanded.

Rick Barry was a freak......he probably could have shot 90% overhanded too.
    I'm not talking about average FT shooters. I'm talking about the guys who are well below average and who just might benefit from trying something new. Obviously they shouldn't try it in a game without a lot of practice first.

Shaq's just over 50% for his career. That's pathetic.

I don't know what Barry would have shot overhand. But shooting underhand, he was the best NBA FT shooter ever. And Wilt sucked using both methods.

(And yes, I know Mark Price broke Barry's % record, but he also shot a ton less FTs.)

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    torn tendon in dirk's finger is bad news for mavs...left isnt his shooting hand, but still.

• Terry stunk it up in 2nd half, Stevenson woulda been a better look.

Have to get more from TY or we won't win shit.

Just one game. Not shittin any pants over here. Miami is good. It sucks.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dirk's about to go back in the soft pile.

HarveyCanal said:
    Dirk's about to go back in the soft pile.

Yeah....that was a soft 27 points he had last night.......and that left handed drive while being hacked....soft serve deluxe.

It's not just about being tough. He's gotta win the series, or a lot of this recent inflation of his legacy is going to fall back into a Karl Malone state of indifference.

Oops.

Here's Dirk's legacy.....Championship or not....

Best Euro player ever

Best shooting 7 footer ever

Top 25 player ever

Lock for the HOF

One of 3 players to lead his team to 10 straight 50 win seasons.

One(or more) championship would be nice, but won't change any of the above.

Those who think a ring will make or break his legacy are shallow, uneducated basketball "fans" and I use that term loosely.

Rockadelic said:

Those who think a ring will make or break his legacy are shallow, uneducated basketball "fans" and I use that term loosely.

Dude, you only wish that was true. Plus, don't make me beat you with a Hoover's rib and squirt Tabasco in your eye for talking directly at me like that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    [quote author="GenePontecorvo date=1306958667Just one game. Not shittin any pants over here.
    Yeah, nothing too earth-shattering here. Miami won the first game on its home court. To be expected.

I did notice that the Mavs were getting a good amount of open looks last night, and shooters like Dirk and Terry aren't going to stay cold for long.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Not this again.

Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, and Charles Barkley are Hall of Fame players.

Dirk win or lose wont tarnish his history in the League.

And dude has been tough all season and now goes to the hole. He no longer sits on the perimeter anymore.

This shouldnt even be brought up anymore.

HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:

Dude, you only wish that was true. Plus, don't make me beat you with a Hoover's rib and squirt Tabasco in your eye for talking directly at me like that.

Does this mean you won't share some Tenderberry Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream with me?

Jim Brown never won a Super Bowl!!*

*Trick answer.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Unless Jason Kidd can find a way to be effective in the low post Dallas is in trouble.....Kidd in the post is a huge adavntage and its the only way Dallas can slow Miami down ....earlier I said Terry and Peja would eventually have to put the ball on the floor and now they do because of Miami's defense...Miami's defensive rotations might be the quickest I've ever seen. Pat Riley has done a great job coaching this team....

B/w

OKC would own MIA in a 7 game series

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:

Does this mean you won't share some Tenderberry Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream with me?

Jim Brown never won a Super Bowl!!*

*Trick answer.

Yeah, Jim won NFL Championships.

But think of it this way...what a Dirk championship will do for cementing his legacy. His cake will actually have icing on it. Problem for me is that it will also help to cement Jason Kidd's legacy...and that Mavs fans will finally have a leg to stand on when trying to talk shit with Rockets fans. I actually hope Dirk can play well through his boo boo, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Dallas winning. Then again, Lebron is already better than MJ...double yuck!

• Options
    Shaq is popping the cork on is career. No big surprise. What a force he was at his peak, and he sure seemed to enjoy himself along the way. Kind of the anti-Kareem in that way.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    Looks like Shaq is retiring for good. Most Laker fans seem to have amnesia and forget all that the Big Aristotle did for this town, especially when he joined our hated rivals the C's in a bid to tie Kobe. Well I won't forget the memories of all those rings ya brought here big fella.

Shaq should quit after Phoenix.

Great career.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    . Kind of the anti-Kareem in that way.

word. kareem sure is keeping up the legacy of being the grouchy asshole

Kareem at least stands for something. These modern players dont stand for shit.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Don't forget Kareem was also a record collector!

motown67 said:
    Don't forget Kareem was also a record collector!

I've always wanted to meet him and ask about his collection....legend has it that he had a top notch Jazz collection that was lost in a fire.....I'm guessing more Blue Note & Clef than CTI and Inner City.

Yes, the stories never went into any details, but they said he had a huge collection before the fire. I would think that most of it would be Be Bop, but since he was going through the 1970s while still young I would not be surprised at some Fusion and Soul-Jazz in there as well. Some Crusaders, some Cannonball Adderley, etc.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    From Wiki:

"In 1983, Abdul-Jabbar's house burnt down, incinerating many of his belongings including his beloved jazz LP collection. Many Lakers fans sent and brought him albums, which he found uplifting."

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    I met kareem when i was a youngin in the early 80s. Dude was super friendly and anything but a grouch. However, he is coming off a lil salty in all these media reports as of late. Apparently he wrote an open letter to scottie. Either way dudes a legend and can do whatever he wants in my opinion.

Holy shit, check this out, it's a blog by Kareem dealing with Jazz.

http://kareemabduljabbar.com/blog/jazz/