Diggers Roll Call '06 Edition

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

brazilian barbeque knocks all others out the box.

that's a booooold statement. i can't argue it though because i never had brazillian barbecue. but if brazillian barbecue has anything to do with tripe, then I can't see it being better than dry rub smoked barbecue. chicken, brisket, ribs, whatever. deep south barbecue styles are unbeatable. sorry i'm on some bbq shit this month for some reason. must be spring fever.

• brazilian barbeque knocks all others out the box.

that's a booooold statement. i can't argue it though because i never had brazillian barbecue. but if brazillian barbecue has anything to do with tripe, then I can't see it being better than dry rub smoked barbecue. chicken, brisket, ribs, whatever. deep south barbecue styles are unbeatable. sorry i'm on some bbq shit this month for some reason. must be spring fever.

Chicken Hearts, dude. On a skewer.

• 1)Delmont Fairchild
    2)Portland, Origami
    3)Hip Hip=12 years-Funk/Soul/Tepid Shit=8 years
    4)Hip Hop/Funk/Soul/Tepid Shit
    5)Came here after the Crates list vanished. Been Lurking/Posting since like 2001.
    6)Cant name just one......but my favorites have to be the entire Ruthless Catalogue (Yes! every single one of them...which I have.). My Showbiz & AG 'Soul Clap' OG on Showbiz Records is also prized.
    7)I dine on swine, bitches.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Chicken Hearts, dude. On a skewer.

i dunno bout that, sounds a little too nosferatu for me.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    1. Name? A. Krems aka Father Theodore
    2. Location? Sunset Park
    3. Years Digging? 10
    4. Specific type of music you are into? no country, metal, punk, piano rock etc.
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? I had a question about a sampler D'oh!
    6. Your most prized record and why? Yahowa
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Steak Sandwich.

• Yeah, there's an A side with him singing and then there's a b side with just instrumentals...My uncle worked for cbs news in the 50s and he had that 45 while he was on assignment covering the early beginnings of the black muslim movement in the usa. I can output it to mp3 and send it to you if you want to hear what it sounds like.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    1. Name - rs
    2. Location - michigan
    3. Years Digging - about 2
    4. Specific type of music you are into - soul, funk, breaks, grooves, disco
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut - ebay + free time + desire to learn
    6. Your most prized record and why - my syl johnson lp's and 45's
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook - tofurkey

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    1. Name - Bsides
    2. Location - Hollywood
    3. Years Digging - I stopped digging about a year ago.
    4. Specific type of music you are into - Mine
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut - The Internet.
    6. Your most prized record and why - Music in the key of life - cause its good.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook - Stir Fry in penut oil with veggies?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

1. Name? antonio
    2. Location? stuck in philly
    3. Years Digging? about a dozen
    4. Specific type of music you are into? earthy, sad but hopeful, people music
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? my buddy wes
    6. Your most prized record and why? so many of them are associated with memories...while tracking them down and things that happened while enjoying them. 24 carat black has a lot of those memories, plus is amazing, so i'll never be able to get rid of it.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? tofu scramble is easy, classic and good with ketchup. but i try to avoid soy

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    Every few months I like to drop this post out there, and since the last one I think we've had a lot of new people on here.

Answer all this stuff

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?
    4. Specific type of music you are into?
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut?
    6. Your most prized record and why?
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook?

1. Deejay OM

2. SF, CA

3. started liking records when I was super young...although really got into things heavily in the early 90's...like 1992 I began to buy copies, and take a lot of chances, etc...

4. Soul, Latin, Psych, Rock, Jazz, Blues, International, Reggae, Hip Hop, Disco, etc.

5. Not sure what brought me...a bunch of my homies were on it...and so I joined..haha..

6. Most prized record...hmmm......maybe Project Soul, Scorpio and his People, some of my private press records, OM "Sunset At Midnight" (Heardrums), some of SA Psych??? tough call...you'd have to let me know...haha

7. Greatest tofu dish I know how to cook? Jeesh..well, that is seriously a tough one...I've been cooking since I was 6 (31 now), and have been veggie/vegan since 1992...so, my skills in the kitchen are unfuckwitable, and the tofu is aplenty...I can tell you one of the last ones I did was pretty nice...it was a pear-lavender tofu which was baked and served on a bed of dead sea salt...but, the sauce was off the hinge...seriously (oh, it was also served with asparugus with a cashew butter sauce)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

1. Name: rich
    2. Location: san jose, ca
    3. Years Digging: 3
    4. Specific type of music you are into: covers of people make the world go round
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut: wandered in out of the cold around 4 years ago
    6. Your most prized record and why: dj shadow real deal for its price but i have a special place in my heart for my allen toussaint southern nights LP
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook: soon tofu, a spicy korean tofu soup

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "A White Man's Burden is a Black Man's Hell" by Louis X (better known as Louis Farrakhan) He had a moderately successful calpyso career in the 1950s and this 45 was put out by the Nation of Islam as a politically motivated song.

I'd like to hear. Does he sing on this track?

I recall that being tepid reggae.

• I can output it to mp3 and send it to you if you want to hear what it sounds like.

Please do. Thanks!

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts

1. Name? Rey[/b]
    2. Location? Berkeley[/b]
    3. Years Digging? about 2[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? hip hop, roots reggae, dub, funk, soul, classic rock, afro-beat, jazz[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? googled a record review for a Cymande record,lurked for a while and became addicted to all the dope information flowing in the boards.[/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? my record game lacks weight. However, about a year ago, I found a copy of Mongo Santamaria - Sofrito on VAYA in a free pile at a local flea; no cover though. Listened to it, blew me away, and knew it was a come up.[/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? nope.[/b]

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Bomp

• kemskems 120 Posts
    1. Name? Carlos
    2. Location? Fort Lauderdale, FL
    3. Years Digging? 14 years on and off
    4. Specific type of music you are into? rap and jazz for the most part, but a little bit of everything.
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? My boy Lumin put me on.
    6. Your most prized record and why? wow....i really haven't put much thought into this so i'm just rolling with all my classic rap stuff.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? never cooked with it although i will eat the shit up if done right.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    For some reason I didn't do this first time around in this thread, but there are others.
    1. Name? Dan
    2. Location? Portland Or
    3. Years Digging? Bought first record in 1960, been digging since '79. Or as some call it, shopping.
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Americana? Is that what they call it in Europe?
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Internet connection.
    6. Your most prized record and why? I like records I got from the artist. Jeremy, Goodby Old Friend... I also really enjoy the first 4 James Brown lps where he is not on the cover. They have been on my wall forever.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I like to stir fry tofu with what ever is fresh. Sauce from what ever spices and such are lying around. It is important to me that the curds be browned.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Fatback said:
    "A White Man's Burden is a Black Man's Hell" by Louis X (better known as Louis Farrakhan) He had a moderately successful calpyso career in the 1950s and this 45 was put out by the Nation of Islam as a politically motivated song.

I'd like to hear. Does he sing on this track?

I recall that being tepid reggae.

It's called "A White Man's Heaven Is A Black Man's Hell" and it's not even remotely reggae.

Must correct the past...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I missed this particular roll-call too, but I've answered others. Oh well, here goes:

1. Name? Patrick
    2. Location? Central, NJ
    3. Years Digging? Owned my first 45rpm in 1974, seriously since 1988.
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Jazz, soul, boogie, classic rock, psychedelic rock, prog. rock, folk, hip-hop, disco, etc.
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Asprin and Tom Thumbz (Delay) directed me here over from Stones Throw Record's "Cratedigger" site.
    6. Your most prized record and why? Investigation #1 by Carl "Sherlock" Holmes. It was a great find out diggin' with my brother and our friend Charles, nearly 20 years ago.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I'm a Black dude from the South, tofu is not in the diet.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    1. Name? Spero
    2. Location? Milwaukee WI
    3. Years Digging? 10-ish
    4. Specific type of music you are into? soul on 45, foreign music, freaky stuff
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? The amusing jpegs
    6. Your most prized record and why? :five_pager:
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Not trying to dodge but I prefer seitan.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    holmes said:

1. Name: Kris Holmes

2. Location: Auckland, New Zealand

3. Years Digging: 14

4. A Specific type of music you are into: Jazz

5. What brought you to Soulstrut: Google search on Val Shivley's

6. Your most prized record and why: This changes day to day but at the moment my early NZ pressed James Brown King 45s, I have 3 & wanna get the whole set, if there are any others??

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook: Thai Style Tofu Salad
    update
    3. 19
    6. Today maybe my signed Freddy King LP?
    7. I don't even remember that Thai Tofu Salad, now I'll just marinade big cubes & then BBQ them.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    1. Name? Chan aka Big Chan, Chan Dog, Tito Chantana the intercontinental champion, Chanistan, Chan Ferragamo, Chan Canali, Chanimal

2. Location? Seattle Chinatown

3. Years Digging? Started buying records in the 70s. Started really "diggin'" in the early 90s.

4. Specific type of music you are into? Jazz, R&B, Soul, Funk, Bossa Nova, Soundtracks, Disco, Etc.....

5. What brought you to Soulstrut? I think Jake Weezey told me to check it out when it was a pretty new site

6. Your most prized record and why? My signed copy of Earth Wind And Fire's "All 'N All" LP. That or my signed copy of Bob James one. Why? Two of my favorite albums. Got to hang out with those cats a few times and they signed the records for me.

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Mabo Tofu

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    All i have to say is Argentinian BBQ is the best of the best. So much so that when you go to the finest churrascaria in Rio, they bring around a special cut of meat from Argentina and you can be damn sure irs the best. Chicken hearts are amazing too.

House party brazilian BBQ, carioca style by the beach - that is my shit. Too many good memories.

Oh and ive been digging for 6 years and ate way too much tofu growing up in Vermont/Berkeley. That shit is not good for you in huge amounts, just like corn isnt!

• 1. Name?

Tito

2. Location?

Los Angeles

3. Years Digging?

My whole life

I don't think that way but I participate in rap.

I can't possibly remember

Probably Herbie Headhunters because I was scared and mystified by the receiver head tribal leader as a child.

Fried Rice.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    1. Name?
    Leon
    2. Location?
    Somewhere, Europe

3. Years Digging?
    About 15 years

It's gotta have soul

Some Google search

Plus (Belgian band) s/t, because years ago it showed me really great music can be discovered if you dig hard enough.

Sorry, i'm vegetarian.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    1. Name?
    Street Sampras

2. Location?
    The Nation's Capital

3. Years Digging?
    13 years, off & on

Private label & wild shit

Another member that ain't here no more

I sold them all

Not the greatest, but my tofu bahn mi has gotten good reviews

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Guzzo said:

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Enrique
    2. Baltimore
    3. 23
    4. Good music
    5. Baghatvinyl.com
    6. All
    7. None

• Guzzo said:
    1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Zeon
    2. Washington, DC
    3. I'm a rookie comparred to most. About 5 years.
    4. I don't really have a specific type, but I love folk, jazz, soundtracks, country, blues, rock and all its various incarnations as well as of course the hip hops.
    5. I don't know what SPECIFICALLY brought me to Soulstrut, but I remember two major threads that made me want to join. It was the Shaw Brothers Appreciation and Warner Brothers Vs. Disney threads. I became a fan, and eventually a member, afterwards.
    6. My most prized record was by a Jewish quartet called The Voices Four. The album was Arbaah Kolot. I found it in the dollar bin and I loved the jazz-folk sound that was throughout the album. It was the album that made me believe I could find great records just about ANYWHERE.
    7. I've never cooked a tofu dish myself, but that display The-gaffler has looks like something I'd want to try.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    1. Name: *** ******** *******

2. Location: Graham's number

3. Years Digging: 17 years-ish

4. A Specific type of music you are into: rub-a-dub-dub dubstep

5. What brought you to Soulstrut: 56k dial-up modem. Hitting refresh took 10 minutes

6. Your most prized record and why: I have a test pressing of some bloke called Kamil Nice doing Ice-Ice Baby. For all I know, it may pre-date Vanilla Ice. Bow-the-f**k-down

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook:

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    1. Don
    2. Minneapolis
    3. DJing roughly 10 years, got more into digging for rarer type stuff the last 3 or 4 years.
    4. hip-hop, funk, prog, doom metal, psych, disco, jazz...
    5. not sure
    6. Profondo Rosso, RAMP, Dopethrone, Liquid Swords, Cymande, Italo disco 12s
    7. youre supposed to cook Tofu?