Diggers Roll Call '06 Edition

Comments

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

That's what I'm talkin' bout......Smothered Pork Chops, Jalapeno Cream Spinach, Garlic Grits and some Lemonade.....Hoover's next Thursday around noon after the 2A BBall playoffs at the Drum!!

Rich...is Hoover's the place that this gentleman above has this INCREDIBLE looking BBQ? If so.....can somebody take me there when I am in Austin at the show, because that looks

Ari...I'm looking at you...

That is indeed Hoover

it really does look absolutely, terribly, astoundingly GOOD. Can you give me the address. I would much appreciate it. Beer is on me if we meet up there...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

That's what I'm talkin' bout......Smothered Pork Chops, Jalapeno Cream Spinach, Garlic Grits and some Lemonade.....Hoover's next Thursday around noon after the 2A BBall playoffs at the Drum!!

Rich...is Hoover's the place that this gentleman above has this INCREDIBLE looking BBQ? If so.....can somebody take me there when I am in Austin at the show, because that looks

Ari...I'm looking at you...

That is indeed Hoover

it really does look absolutely, terribly, astoundingly GOOD. Can you give me the address. I would much appreciate it. Beer is on me if we meet up there...

friday night

okay tuneup ??!?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Food
    Chef/owner Hoover Alexander offers daily specials, but try the Jamaican jerk ribs smothered in a blend of 15 spices that adds another dimension entirely to the meaty ribs; fried catfish dipped in a thick cornbread batter and deep-fried; or the "bella" muffaletta, a portobello version of the hallowed Louisiana sandwich. All entrees come with two sides, of which there is ample selection. Jalapeno-creamed spinach is justifiably famous for its blend of finely chopped spinach, cream, Swiss cheese and onions.

Just East of I-35 on Manor.......it's 2002 Manor

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Here's a local review....

I could go through the entire menu -- the meat loaf, the pork ribs, the charbroiled catfish, the Jamaican jerk chicken, the ham steak with Jezebel sauce ... on and on and it's all sensational. You literally can't make a bad choice here if you enjoy food where flavor's at the premium. Oh, and the sides ... . Hoover now has a macaroni and cheese to absolutely die for. This could be a main course on its own. Or the seasoned green beans with bacon. Or the jalapeno creamed spinach. There's no place to wander off course.

Finish it with one of Hoover's cobblers -- blackberry, or peach -- and you are one seriously happy camper. But it's on special days when Hoover shows you what happens when he gets really serious. Like the Cajun pork roast he concocted for Easter. Man, that dish is so deliciously lethal it should have a license. Well, I could go on, but I hope you get the picture. Hoovers, on 2002 Manor Road. Go once, you'll become a regular.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    1. Name - N****n
    2. Location? Tejas
    3. Years Digging? 89? I remember when Half Price in Dallas looked like a pirate ship
    4. Specific type of music you are into? just about anything except new country or pop radio drivel
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? I don't know. divine intervention?
    6. Your most prized record and why? changes all the time
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? fried tofu with peanut satay sauce

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    1. Name? Edson
    2. Location? Sao Paulo, Brazil
    3. Years Digging? More than 10 years
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Brazilian, Funk, Soundtracks, Exotica, Jazz, Latin.......
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Motown67's reviews, via Google
    6. Your most prized record and why? They're all special
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I don't think tofu fits into feijoada.

Peace

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    1. Name? Jack
    2. Location? Raleigh
    3. Years Digging? 8, with about 2 off
    4. Specific type of music you are into? hip hop
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? i don't remember, i lurked for a while (when geoduck was all the rage), quit, and then joined a couple years later when i got a job where i need to waste time
    6. Your most prized record and why? isaac hayes - hot buttered soul because my dad had it when i was a kid, i took it when i started buying records, and i just don't remember not having it
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? i ain't heard of that

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?
    4. Specific type of music you are into?
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut?
    6. Your most prized record and why?
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook?

1. Bill Bradley
    2. Austin, TX
    3. 10 years
    4. Hip Hop, Funk, Soul, and Jazz
    5. Record collecting knowledge
    6. Larry Young's Fuel (test pressing) - I really like the track "Turn Off the Lights" on that one.
    7. Pad Thai

• 1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Kingsley Mostachelli
    2. Bay San Suburbs Mateo Peninsula Francisco Area
    3. Since like 96. Didn't really get semi-serious until 4 years ago (I think Jinx really made me want to step my game up)
    4. Kufi Rap, Club Rap, Latin, Disco, Soul, Spiritual Jazz, Dollar Bin ladens, with a little bit of Broked-ed Beat & House music (jack your body)
    5. Blame Dj Day for getting me in this place
    6. I think all the records that I prize are really just basic soul classics (stevie, kool and the gang, pleasure, mizzell type shit)
    7. Being a vegetarian you would think it would be easy to cook, but I can't do it for shit. I tend to rock Golden Era in SF like nobody's biznass.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

This picture offends me.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    1. Lamont
    2. Belgium/Australia
    3. I don't dig seriously, I use vinyl records to make money on Ebay.
    4. Jackin' funky house, popmusic, 'balearic' stuff.
    5. A google about soul music in 2001 led me to a discussion between Ironmonkey and Raj Mahal. I kept checking on a daily basis.
    6. I sell my prized possessions.
    7. I hate Tofu.

Btw this info belongs in your public profile

• Options
    Paul
    Sacramento
    one year of digging activities
    soul/jazz/rock/funk/hiphop/good sounds THE USUAL
    Maybe my Mongo Santamaria Stone Soul Picnic that I got in mint condition for a $1
    Fried Tofu is good with the right associate sauces. But the meal on the Lp cover looks more like the fancy of my eye

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

Answer all this stuff

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. M**k**
    2. Helsinki, Finland - right now SF Cali
    3. 5
    4. 60's and 70's jazz and soul LP's, obscure soul/funk 45's, early 80's & post millenium rap music 12's
    5. Houdini-strutter Sermad's site mentioned it
    6. trashed test-pressing of Odysseus by Eero Koivistoinen
    7. stir fry that shit with various veggies and let it simmer in some coconut milk.

• 1. Name? - Deep Diggin' Wiggins

2. Location? - Soulsville, TN

3. Years Digging? - 9+ (I still haven't started "Crate Diggin'" yet.)

4. Specific type of music you are into? - Gospel, Soul, Funk, Garage, Folk, Psych, Memphis Heat

5. What brought you to Soulstrut? - Fate.

6. Your most prized record and why? - Lula Collins - Delta Gospel Queen, cause it's some of the hardest gospel, soul, & funk I've ever heard on one record.

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? - Lemongrass

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    1. Mark

2. Boston, MA

3. As long as I can remember. I bought records with my first-ever paycheck,
    that was in 1983.

4. Many think it's lame to answer "everything" but it's just the truth.
    I like good music, rare, common, rootsy, electronic, soulful, psychedelic, whatever.

5. Motown67's reviews kept coming up when I would look up records,
    eventually I checked out the forums, lurked for a couple months,
    now I have a "soul strut problem"

6. Shit, I don't know.
    Maybe the John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman LP that I bought for myself
    after listening to my Mom's for half of my life?
    Otherwise it changes from week to week.
    Last week it was Dave Cortez Soul Vibration this week it is Left Banke Too.

7. I don't ever cook tofu, although I have made tofu pups at a BBQ before.
    This thai place I used to go to had these spongy tofu things with a citrus taste that were delicious, I miss them.

• 1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1.Mike
    2.Rockland NY
    3.I've been buying records for about 12 years (new and old)
    4.B Boy Music.(didnt want to just say "breaks"),Hip Hop,ect.
    5.I was doing an internet search on Nico Gomez and found
    DJ Sheep's review of Ritual.
    6.Probably my white label promo 45 of Black Belt Jones. Got it
    for $1.50, and just like the track.
    6.I'm more of a chicken parm guy.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Mike
    2. Omaha, Nebraska
    3. For life!
    4. Most knowledgable about early punk/hardcore but am into most genres.
    5. Came to SS looking for info on an obscure rap 12" I had found, stayed for the week(end) finds threads and general good humor.
    6. A local garage/surf LP from 1964 which no one else (that I know) has. Also a never released LP acetate by an early/mid-70s CT rock band called Johnny Lunchbreak (we are finishing the "reissue" as I type this).
    7. I can't cook, but a local Thai restraunt makes pretty awesome five spice tofu.

• 1. Name: Johannes[/b]
    2. Location? South Sweden[/b]
    3. Years Digging? 5 maybe..[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Jazz, Soul, Funk, Easylistening, Electro, Hip-hop. Just started diggin' in to psych..[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? My man Lasarus![/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? Unity - Blow through your mind?[/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Tofu with red curry and spinach[/b]

• minusnzminusnz 62 Posts
    1. Name? - Jeff da Maori
    2. Location? - (Aotearoa New Zealand)Taihape via Rotorua,Taranaki,Whanganui,Auckland,Waiheke Island,Raglan
    3. Years Digging? - 20,semi serious about half that
    4. Specific type of music you are into? - the type you gonna set sale(cheap)& trade me!!
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? - Definately that 'mantis' Motown67's reviews
    6. Your most prized - Seeds[/b] Kimiora(14),Ahipene(13),Pounamu(8),Tewaorikitoi(4),records aint even in the same ballpark!!.but they aiight.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? - the one with PUHA[/b] and a Potato top side order.

CHUR.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1. Name? Joel
    2. Location? Berkeley, CA
    3. Years Digging? Since about 96 or 97
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Funk, Soul, Soul-Jazz, anything that's catchy
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Post on the old crates mailing list
    6. Your most prized record and why? No idea. When a fire broke out two houses down the block and I was afraid my house might go up as well as burning embers were floating in the air towards my roof the first three things that popped into my mind were: 1. Get the family out, 2. Grab the laptop, 3. Save the James Brown!
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Fuck tofu. I eat meat!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You should have said, "Motown67's reviews...wait, that's me!"

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

You should have said, "Motown67's reviews...wait, that's me!"

Doh!

• Damn, you go to sleep & 6 pages pop up overnight... Ha!

1. ?????. The dude who led the Argonauts to find the golden Fleece.
    2. Port Jackson Harbour, Terra Australis Incognita.
    3. Started buying vinyl in 84. Started regretting it in 1988. Starting to stop in 2006. Always starting, never finishing...
    4. Hip hop, funk, b-boy breaks, soul, exotica, childrens, electro, sunshine pop, electronica, latin, jazz, etc...
    5. I can't even remember how. I was looking for answers that I couldn't get from atheism.
    6. All Tuff Crew & a copy of a Touche Turtle LP.
    7. Tofu? That's like the healthy version of marshmallows yeah?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    1. Ali
    2. London
    3. 9 years
    4. Funk/Soul/Hip Hop/Psych/Shit anything
    5. Seeing a friend with a Sayer T Shirt
    6. Barbara & Ernie - It's so damn beautiful

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    1. Name? Nick[/b]
    2. Location? Brisbane, Australia[/b]
    3. Years Digging? seriously- 4, half assed- 8 or so[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Soft Psych/Folk, Jazz, Downtempo Funk[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Looking for references to "soulman" and intead gave up my imortal soul. meh.[/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? Godiego, Monkey Magic OST (thanks sheep) for sentimental childhood reasons [/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Laksa all day batches[/b]

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    1. Nash
    2. Iowa City
    3. 7 years
    4. funk, soul, hip-hop, psych, jazz, lots of stuff as long as its good.
    5. came here to learn how to be THE MAN
    6. i dont even know.
    7. fuck tofu

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    1. Name: Kris Holmes
    2. Location: Auckland, New Zealand
    3. Years Digging: 14
    4. A Specific type of music you are into: Jazz
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut: Google search on Val Shivley's
    6. Your most prized record and why: This changes day to day but at the moment my early NZ pressed James Brown King 45s, I have 3 & wanna get the whole set, if there are any others??
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook: Thai Style Tofu Salad

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

1. Name=b
    2. Location=uptown
    3. Years Digging=1997/98
    4. Specific type of music you are into=Funk (euro,us,brazil,japan,world), Soul (sweet and raw), Old hiphop & tons of other shit
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut=Google,lurking and the ish section!
    6. Your most prized record and why=La planete sauvage ost (because it is amazing!)
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook=Pan-seared lemon tofu w/kale but really i just want to go to veggie-castle for their tofu curry!

• 1. Alex
    2. NC
    3. 3+
    4. Just about anything
    5.Searching about records, and lurked for a bit
    6. Communicators 'Is It Funky Enough' 45. Local Durham release on the antique shop cheap tip.
    7. ?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    1. Name?
    Karl

2. Location?
    Sometimes L.A., sometimes upstate NY.

3. Years Digging?
    collecting vinyl in some form since i started buying albums in '83. knowing what i was doing was called 'digging' - since about '97

the type that feels heartfelt and deep.

i actually cant remember, but i think it was a random google about some stupid sample question that got me to the breaks, and then seeing all the strut chatter there that clued me on over to here.

maybe the dopest overall (to me) is my US 'procrastination' 45 or maybe my little buck 'little boy blue' 45... but i think i most prize the records i had as a kid, like snoopy vs the red baron by royal guardsmen and shit like that. stuff that brings back the old memories of growing up.

dont really know how to cook anything good with tofu, but i do well with some tofu pups, a skillet, olive oil and a heap o spices and 'Siracha' hot sauce.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Answer all this stuff

1. Name?jeremiah aka heathakilla
    2. Location? chico ca/gurp city
    3. Years Digging? none
    4. Specific type of music you are into? easy as well as uneasy listening
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut?I read in a magazine ya' all had figured out all the songs on brainfreeze.
    6. Your most prized record and why? maybe, the Blackalicious "Melodica" album cuz it was the first time I got excited about getting something on record as opposed to tape or cd, plus it's scratched up from sleeping on the beach in Bolinas the night I got it because I got sand in my backpack and in turn the record sleeve.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I make really good tofu enchiladas