Diggers Roll Call '06 Edition

Comments

• This appears to be a good way to drop my first post.

Ben
    Brighton, UK
    8 years
    Psych, prog, folk, garage rock, hip hop, other
    Digging
    Azitis - Help: i really like it and it's rare
    I drop some in a thai green curry, it tastes pleasurable.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    1.Paul
    2.Jamaica,Kingston.
    3.15yrs
    4.Everything,but i'm mostly into what sounds good to my ear .
    5.From the-breaks forums
    6.None.
    7.n/a.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

2. Location? South Jersey, just north of atlantic city[/b]
    Yo!

we've discussed this...
    I know but you didn't capatilize Atlantic City. It's a proper noun, you know.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?
    4. Specific type of music you are into?
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut?
    6. Your most prized record and why?
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook?

1. John
    2. Europe
    3. 6ish
    4. Old school hip hop (79-82) late 80s/early 90s hip hop with the occasional mid 90s 12" here & there
    5. Not sure, instinct or Google maybe
    6. MC Outloud - Clean & Sober or Ghetto Chronicle Daily, they're & it took me long enough to find them. There is one record that will someday claim top spot, but I havent found it yet[/b]
    7. Fuck Tofu, give me a steak any day

• 1. Name? Peter

2. Location? Toronto, Canada

3. Years Digging? Six.

4. Specific type of music you are into? Jazz, soul, country, folk, r&b, and blues.

5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Kevin (soufriere1) mentioned it when he was over buying some records. I was telling him how I don't trust Paypal, and he told me all about how they had tried to fuck with your Hurricane Katrina donation drive.

6. Your most prized record and why? There's far too many to name. Probably my 3 LP Complete Robert Johnson set I got when I was working at a local store. One of the perks of my employment was getting stuff for the price that the store bought it for. In this case, it set me back $12. Beautiful sound. I also got a beautiful sounding Skip James LP on Vanguard for $2... I could also go on about the multitude of brilliant sounding Japanese pressings of jazz titles that are a pleasure to listen to.

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I have been a strict ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 6-7 years now, but I'm too lazy to make good food. Luckily I don't get bored easily. I usually just cut up a block of firm tofu, and do it with pasta sauce on whole-wheat noodles.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    1. Alan
    2. Amsterdam
    3. 15 or so, unlike Paycheck i still dont know what the fuck im doin'
    4. Mainly Soul, but all the usual suspects...
    5. I too Googled "crate digging" (i dont know what i expected to find, but im glad i found this.
    6. http://static.flickr.com/29/94920318_493007b97b.jpg (yes thats an autograph).
    7. BBQ style.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    1. martin
    2. karlskoga, sweden
    3. probably around 7-8 years of lazy diggin so i still have no idea what im doing most of the time
    4. psych and funk with lots of organ and no acoustic guitars
    5. knowledge i guess
    6. have yet to find the perfect record
    7. id take stinas k??ttbullar and pulvermos over tofu

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

2. Location? South Jersey, just north of atlantic city[/b]
    Yo!

we've discussed this...
    I know but you didn't capatilize Atlantic City. It's a proper noun, you know.

my bad..ATLANTIC CITY...Long Beach Island....

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    1. Zeke
    2. Philadelphia (but in Pittsburgh for a few weeks)
    3. 5
    4. Everything
    5. I think searching Google for a DITC 12"
    6. Les McCann and Eddie Harris Swiss Movement was the first record I found "in the field" and enjoyed all the way through. Been addicted ever since.
    7. An ex used to cook it with some teriyaka-and-herb rub type shit. It was good.

• slushslush 691 Posts

1. Name? scott
    2. Location? tdot
    3. Years Digging? 7
    4. Specific type of music you are into? trippy
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? boredom? oldenstylehats?
    6. Your most prized record and why? my mom's 45
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? i fry that shit in sesame oil. what

1. Name? scott
    2. Location? tdot
    3. Years Digging? 7
    4. Specific type of music you are into? trippy
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? boredom? oldenstylehats?
    6. Your most prized record and why? my mom's 45
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? i fry that shit in sesame oil. what
    Did your mother record a 45?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    yep!

yep!

Post that up, man!!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    id rather keep it has an intimate celebration of music between me and my mom. that and her copy of One Man Dog

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Answer all this stuff again[/b]

1. Name - Ivan
    2. Location - Bay Area
    3. Years Digging - [cough]3 years[/cough] I DJ'd for a few years before that, but never seriously and never had my own tables or bought my own records.
    4. Specific type of music you are into - Pretty much everything, but focused on soul, funk, and psych. Right now, international joints are my shit.
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut - Can't remember, it's been so long. Urr, at least it feels that way.
    6. Your most prized record and why - Probably that Band X LP cuz it's the shit.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook - The one where I replace tofu with steak.

DJ Ferrari

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    1. A
    2. bk
    3. 7 but I think only about a year of that counts.
    4. if i knew what i liked it would make buying records alot easier.
    5. blog links and the swift decline of rec.music.hip-hop
    6. i love all my records (except laffy taffy)
    7. my kitchen game is not that focused

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    1. Name? S***h
    2. Location? Jersey Shore, yo
    3. Years Digging? haphazardly since college circa 1996. I wouldn't even hardly call myself a digger. I just enjoy records. I don't have my game down like you all.
    4. Specific type of music you are into? jazz, latin (Cuban, espesh) soul, garage, whatever I like
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? an interview with Raj, if I recall
    6. Your most prized record and why? my grandma and great aunt's duet on accordian and piano, recorded at my grandma's 8th birthday party in 1945.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? sauteed teriyaki style

• Answer all this stuff

1. Name? Brian[/b]
    2. Location? Austin [/b]
    3. Years Digging? Sporadically since 95. Supremely focused for the last year. [/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Stuff that sounds good when you're stoned. [/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Good question. Probably got a search result on a search for "Chains and Black Exhaust" or something. [/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? I don't really own anything raer or tuff, so it changes often based on musical preference of the week. [/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? The fuck is tofu? This is Texas dawg. [/b]

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    1. Name? Ryan
    2. Location? SF
    3. Years Digging? 13
    4. Specific type of music you are into? As of late, jazz and psych.
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Burned out on James Trouble v. jonthedj.
    6. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? A not-so-great stir fry.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

1. Name? Mr. Grind&Bump[/b]
    2. Location? Denverrrrrr, CO[/b]
    3. Years Digging? 8[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? good music. original focus was jazz, then i realized that was only the tip of the iceberg. i'm into anything "good".[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? [/b]I was admittedly posting on the-breaks and eventually i found this place and realized that I was missing out on "that real schitt".[/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? I have a new favorite all the time. as far as most valuable, not sure. i'm not into rare as much as i'm into good. one of my favorite albums of all time is Horace Silver "Cape Verdean Blues" and I can say about 92% of Mingus' works can be considered favorites as well. [/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? i quit tofu right after i quit cigarettes.[/b]

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Every few months I like to drop this post out there, and since the last one I think we've had a lot of new people on here.

Answer all this stuff

1. Name? Peter
    2. Location? New York City
    3. Years Digging? 20
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Brazilian
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? I thought it was something else.
    6. Your most prized record and why? The one I'm about to buy.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Fried tofu (extra firm) with fresh peanuts, eggplant, and seven secret spices (which is really just red pepper sauce).

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    1. Name? Aaron
    2. Location? Broke Back Mountain.
    3. Years Digging? 4
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Anything. Mostly jazz-dance instructional 10"s.
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Google searching for a record I can't remember which one.

DO YOU QUESTION MY REASONING? LOOK AT THOSE FOLLS.

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I can't cook.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Answer all this stuff (I'm liking Brian's answers so I'm jacking some of them)

1. Name? Robert[/b]
    2. Location? Austin [/b]
    3. Years Digging? Had records as a kid, traded them all for cd's in '89, then switched back again for good in '92. [/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Stuff that sounds good when you're stoned. [/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Used to be on the Crates list, although more accurately I should say that Oliver told me about Soulstrut. [/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? Luniz - I Got 5 On It Bay Ballers remix on green wax, just because of Richie Rich's verse alone. [/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? The fuck is tofu? This is Texas dawg. [/b]

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    1. Name?
    Neal. DJ Name is DJ Neville Chamberlain (long story)

2. Location?
    Northwest DC

3. Years Digging?
    I bought my first record in 1976, starting collecting in 1980 and seriously digging in the mid-90's.

4. Specific type of music you are into?
    Everything. Weaknesses are Brazilian, Latin and psych.

5. What brought you to Soulstrut?
    Been so long I forgot.

My signed Jorge Ben record because I was there when he signed it.

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook?
    Country fried steak.

• 1. Name? Ed
    2. Location? Los Angeles
    3. Years Digging? 7
    4. Specific type of music you are into? soul/r&b during and after the disco era
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? raer
    6. Your most prized record and why? I keep selling all my prized records
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? tofu pad thai

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

That's what I'm talkin' bout......Smothered Pork Chops, Jalapeno Cream Spinach, Garlic Grits and some Lemonade.....Hoover's next Thursday around noon after the 2A BBall playoffs at the Drum!!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

That's what I'm talkin' bout......Smothered Pork Chops, Jalapeno Cream Spinach, Garlic Grits and some Lemonade.....Hoover's next Thursday around noon after the 2A BBall playoffs at the Drum!!

Rich...is Hoover's the place that this gentleman above has this INCREDIBLE looking BBQ? If so.....can somebody take me there when I am in Austin at the show, because that looks

Ari...I'm looking at you...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    1. Name? A*t
    2. Location? West Coast
    3. Years Digging? ~4
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Boogie Funk 'n' Disco Soul
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? migrated here after w*w.soul24-7.c*m went under
    6. Your most prized record and why? They're all special
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? straight out the box, with Oyster dippin' sauce.

SG

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Ya'll are making me hungry. Can we talk about records instead of food

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Rich...is Hoover's the place that this gentleman above has this INCREDIBLE looking BBQ? If so.....can somebody take me there when I am in Austin at the show, because that looks

Ari...I'm looking at you...

That is indeed Hoover