Diggers Roll Call '06 Edition

Comments

• minusnzminusnz 62 Posts
    1. Name: Kris Holmes
    NZ pressed[/b]James Brown King 45s

deeeyyumm,

Bro reveal your sources or your,ahhhh Soft[/b]

I thought we was tight???

pm's all good if you so desire,You know i gots 'That' list .

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Every few months I like to drop this post out there, and since the last one I think we've had a lot of new people on here.

Answer all this stuff

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?
    4. Specific type of music you are into?
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut?
    6. Your most prized record and why?
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook?

1. Theo
    2. Santa Fe, NM, but previously the Yay
    3. 10 years (but not very well)
    4. noise/experimental
    5. link from Shadow's site
    6. Cro-Magnon, the OG ESP issue, and some NWW stuff
    7. trick question--it all sucks.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Yuichi
    2. West Los Angeles
    3. 3+ years
    4. more instrumental than vocals (lately shit like Pete Jolly- Seasons, Milt Jackson- Olinga at home, rap and oldies in the car)
    5. Raj's ebay auctions
    6. Oneness of Juju- African Rhythms, cuz i found it in Japan for $35, and it's been one of my favorite afro/funk LPs ever since.
    7. The best tofu is the real shit you buy at a Japanese store, just cut a nice square, add green onions, and soy sauce and it's the bomb.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    1. Name? daniel
    2. Location? berkeley, ca
    3. Years Digging? 3
    4. Specific type of music you are into? korean folk music
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? mcdee
    6. Your most prized record and why? korean folk music & festival
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? japanese curry w/ tofu

• djrdjr 511 Posts

1. Dave
    2. On the Delaware River
    3. seriously since '98
    4. Funk, soul, jazz, freakbeat, psych, oddball 45s.......occassionally I'll buy LPs (if they're cheap enough)
    5. Can't recall how I came to Soulstrut
    6. Tough question - probably the Ernie & The Top Notes 45 I bought via the Heatrocks auctions because the $$ was matched and donated to Katrina victims.
    7. I used to just cut it up and throw it on spaghetti, but the wife doesn't dig tofu.......

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    1. Antoine
    2. Montreal,Canada
    3. 6
    4. Hiphop,brokenbeat (new music) (records)soul-jazz-funk-gospel-latin salsa,criollo-african-soft psych/prog/folk
    5. The soulstrut invasion of stonesthrow board back in the day
    6. First record i ever dug demo pressing for quebec folk group
    7. Fried tofu in orange juice/whole wheat soy sauce

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    1. Name: Barak[/b]
    2. Location? Oceanside[/b]
    3. Years Digging? Latest round with vinyl about 4 or 5[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Jazz (hard bop, modal, 20's, 30's), psych, soul, funk, easy, rock steady, downtempo/electronic, hip hop...[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Raj's auctions[/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? Maybe Archie Whitewater just because it symbolizes why I got into this game[/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Don't mess with tofu, but I can make a mean black bean and polenta dish![/b]

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Justin Torres, Jinx, JToro, Skippy Fox
    2. San Francisco
    3. 14yrs digging, 20yrs buying
    4. Bay Area Soul, Sweet Soul/Group Ballads, Soulful/Funky Gospel
    5. I think it was Patrick who told me about this site.
    6. ???
    7. Cilantro & Lime Tofu on a bed of Mama Torres' Spicy Noodles

• 1. Name?
    And

2. Location?
    Worcestershire

3. Years Digging?
    This'll be my 6th

The usual black music and its offshoots. Recently I've been checking more rockabilly and early acid house/rave!

Can't really remember to be honest but I've been checking it since 2000/01 I reckon

I don't think any worthwhile record collector could answer that, whats the point in having a "collection" then?

I'm not going to justify that question with an answer

• Anthony Pearson.

West Los Angeles.

I started buying records in 1974 at age 5 (32 years ago) from the Slippery Disc in Pacific Palisades. My frist record was James Taylor Gorrila. My mama bought me Black Flag Damaged at age 13 from Music Plus. Once I could ride the bus I graduated to Aron's, Rhino and Surplus from the Warehouse and Music Plus at age 14. t.sherman blew my mind by showing me the world of truly raer records in 1995 and I have been buying tens of thousands of records ever since.

I am into singer-songwriter, private issue new age, modal and spiritual jazz, classical string trios and quartets, deep soul and sweet soul, avant garde and experimental, ethnic field recordings, and brazilian music. Also I am deeply commited to private issue.

I was brought to soulstrut by THE ARE when he alerted me that people were talking mad shit about me on here. I have stuck around to monitor the behavior of folls ever since.

My most prized records are an assortment of private issue and custom items that are so exceedingly raer that no other collector knows of them. Most of them are folk and singer-songwriter records. Also my Tribe label collection too that i bought from the man who designed to artwork for the label.

I am not really into tofu. I am on the burrito diet.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    1. Name? Billy[/b]
    2. Location? Toronto[/b]
    3. Years Digging? Don't collect any more. But records have been in my whole life. Started collecting mid-80's.[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Hip Hop pre 98. Soul/Funk/Classic House/fuck it.. I like it all! Even classical![/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Was searching for info on a record[/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? It would be the one below. Why? Cause it's one of my best friends and I was proud of his hard work on the release. Was even up for a Juno (Canadian version of Grammys) for best Hip Hop album.[/b]

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Cook? Haha.. right... But I loveeee this Kimchi Soon Tofu dish from my fav spot in Lil Korea town![/b]

• 1. dale
    2. st. paul
    3. 3-4
    4. 60's soul/funk
    5. record talk
    6. david dee this would mean so much 45 / inell young's what do you see in her 45 - two of my favorite tunes
    7. what's tofu

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    1. Name?
    Karl

2. Location?
    Sometimes L.A., sometimes upstate NY.

Where you at? Get at me dun.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I don't think tofu fits into feijoada.

dude, are you rocking the authentic authentic version w/ pig's ears, pig's feet and all. If so, dude I need to get at that, I can't find the old school traditional version anywhere here.

I like to rock the mabo tofu from time to time.....

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    1. Name? Just Alice

2. Location? Portland, Oregon

3. Years Digging? My dad collected vinyl, bought my first record at 6, diggin for clams? about 5yrs

4. Specific type of music you are into? hip hop, funk, reggae, exotica, jazz, soul, classic rock, the only thing I dont really like a whole lot of disco or house though I can take it in small doses. I cant really knock Disco anymore though cause it made me a good amount of $$$ not too long ago.

5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Been Lurking since Mr. Jeigh got those library joints last spring, but with the loss of Jay Dee I needed to converse with like minded people and talk about vinyl in general.

6. Your most prized record and why? I wouldnt know where to start, God for bid if the house was burning down I guess I would try to grab my crate of late 80's early 90's independent Hip Hop ( putting a new meaning the term 'Heat crate' ? ) I also store my most prized Funk and Soul and sealed doubles there as well.

I had been looking for that BlackStar album for a few years, not wanting to pay 40 bucks for ANYTHING has always been my motto. Void found it for me for 6 bucks after we had only been dating a couple months. I already knew he was a winner though....on our second or third date he brought over a couple 12''s and said " here is your flowers" I had been dreaming about that exact thing happening for YEARS. Told a few friends when a man brought me wax instead of flowers he had to be the one for me! Im sure there is some equally related fantasy from a males perspective, no? Go's to show how much a nerd I really am I guess...But I thought it was the hottest thing ever and he had no idea it was my ultimate dream. I treasure my love and appreciation for Music, and to me that has the most value. ( insert CHEESE BALL Graemlin HERE )

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? BBQ'ed tofu is the only dish Ive ever really tried..but Im currently on a NO Meat for 30 days trial run, so If you have any good recipies, you should send them to me....Im starving.

• 1. Name? Resident Giant / M*rc L*G*n*

2. Location? NYC/NJ

3. Years Digging? Started messing around with records and DJing at my college radio station about 5 years ago

4. Specific type of music you are into? funk/soul/jazz/blues/psych/garage/indie/hiphop/electronic

5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Friend hipped me to the DJ mixes. I also play bass with these guys

6. Your most prized record and why? Shit, changes from day to day... Bohannon Stop & Go right now

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I don't really mess with tofu unless its floating in some miso broth

• Every few months I like to drop this post out there, and since the last one I think we've had a lot of new people on here.

Answer all this stuff

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

Name: Larry Grogan
    Years Digging: 30
    Specific type of music I'm into: All kinds, mostly digging/collecting 50's/60's/70's soul, funk, R&B but I have respectable amounts of jazz, garage punk, UK psyche and still grab all of those when I find'em.
    What brought me to Soulstrut: Google search back in the day. I asked Raj to trade links
    My most prized record and why: Roger & The Gypsies "Pass The Hatchet". Not the rarest 45 I have, but still my favorite. One of the greatest.
    The greatest tofu dish I know how to cook: I can't cook mushc of anything. My wife makes a wicked Pad Thai, though, which has tofu in it...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Answer all this stuff

1. Name? A**m K***n[/b]
    2. Location? Los Angeles[/b]
    3. Years Digging? Since '99[/b]
    4. Specific type of music you are into? anything that conveys emtion, if you don't make my spine implode I ain't trying to hear you, and modern soul[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Used to listen to the mixes on the front page. I dind't even know what an internet forum was until I clicked on the link here.[/b]
    6. Your most prized record and why? Larry T & The Family "I'm Moving On" Bought this during the heatrock auctions most I had spent on any record at the time and the proudest purchase I ever made. The amazing music on the disc is just gravy. [/b]
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I'm reading your dishes and some of y'all are going to get PM's about recipes in a few days. I'm pretty weak when it comes to my tofu cooking skills.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    1. Name? Jason[/b]

2. Location? backgammon central[/b]

3. Years Digging? Bought my first record, Steve Miller's Fly Like an Eagle on 45 in the summer 1976. Started getting into reggae raers in the mid 80s (African Dub Vol III). Circa 1991 started messing with the soul/funk stuff. Lost my (crate digging) virginity to Stanga on the Stoneflower label around that time. [/b]

4. Specific type of music you are into? Soul, Funk and Reggae, 45s mostly but I'll buy anything that is good and cheap.[/b]
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Dan the fucking man Berkman[/b]

6. Your most prized record and why? Kenyatta 45 on NDUGU. I don't think another copy is known to exist.[/b]

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I used to fuck with some tofu stir fry at Paul and Elizabeth's in NOHO.[/b]

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    dude, are you rocking the authentic authentic version w/ pig's ears, pig's feet and all. If so, dude I need to get at that, I can't find the old school traditional version anywhere here.

I like to rock the mabo tofu from time to time.....

Dude Aser

I can't even fry properly an egg, so I don't mess with feijoada. I only eat it.
    If you need traditional (and alternative) feijoada recipes, see this page .

Enjoy!

Peace

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    1. Name? kenny[/b]

2. Location? hong muthafucin' kong[/b]

3. Years Digging? only about 4-5 years.[/b]

4. Specific type of music you are into? any music thats funky and soulful.[/b]

5. What brought you to Soulstrut? the muthafuckin DJ Sheep[/b]

6. Your most prized record and why? n/a[/b]

7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? tofu? mmm...chicken broth noodle with chinese greens and tofu.[/b]

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Tackett
    2. Louisville, Kentucky
    3. 3-4
    4. outlaw country, hiphop, reggae, bluegrass, & 60's jazz
    5. hotlink
    6. Jimi Hendrix "Loose Ends" French import, its beautiful.
    7. never made it.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

1. Name?
    2. Location?
    3. Years Digging?

1. Roberto
    2. Manhattan via PR.
    3. 5 years digging up records, although all my life I've been listening to, and buying music.
    4. Latin joints, soul, funk, reggae, rock awesome and wizard rock, garage, punk, rockabilly, blues, some country, singer songwriter joints, oddities.
    5. The search for raer.
    6. I love all my children equally.
    7. Mapo Tofu, although I've never made it, its the best tofu dish I've ever had. Don't hate on the soy bean folls!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    1. Name?
    Dan g.

2. Location?
    Somerville, Ma.

3. Years Digging?
    15 (general), 5 (more serious)

Most anything w/ texture

I can't remember, but i was running lots of searches on records and more than likely soul strut would come up (probably mowtown's reviews, actually). After a couple of months of lurking I joined up and I believe that my first post inspired the creation of Timmydigalot[/b], which I am both honored and ashamed to admit.

Bama's Ghettoes of the Mind/ Grupa ABC: both found at seperate times. The former because it's the first good record I'd ever found, and the latter made me start actually "listening" to the stuff I had.

I can microwave tofurkey w/ squagles!

• 1. Name? Mike
    2. Location? My Posse's on Broadway
    3. Years Digging? 10
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Good music of all genres, but lately feeling old electronic music, dancehall/hiphop remixes, space jazz, environmental sounds
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? searching for dj mixes in 2001, found the forum sometime later
    6. Your most prized record and why? Santana Lotus. Took me almost 10 years to find, then found 2 in one day. Gave one to Magic Jax for his bday. Music is crazy spaceyjazzrock and inserts of boddhisatvas, ufos, etc.
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Used to throw it on a sandwich with hummus, but that's about it.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    1. Name? Mango "The Eagle" Jenkins
    2. Location? SD Bronx
    3. Years Digging? Since 2005
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Football hand clap chants, Just about any genre that has a drum break or Banjo riffs...
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Lurking with my Older Brother Iron and Uncle Fonzee....
    6. Your most prized record and why? Mandrill the one with the track "Mango's Theme" and any Happy Days records...
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? Bean Curd, Vegetable dash of pop rocks stew...

• 1. Name? Edson
    2. Location? Sao Paulo, Brazil
    3. Years Digging? More than 10 years
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Brazilian, Funk, Soundtracks, Exotica, Jazz, Latin.......
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Motown67's reviews, via Google
    6. Your most prized record and why? They're all special
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I don't think tofu fits into feijoada.

Peace

ahhh beans and rice with tripe.my lady is brazilian and we eat this every week.
    brazilian barbeque knocks all others out the box.

1 - mark
    2 - sacramento cali(born in england)
    3 - properly since 89(taken a few sabbaticals due to finances)
    4 - nearly everything - take out country and trance style shite
    5 - mentions elsewhere
    6 - all - even the tairrie b 12" bought as a gift
    7 - not my thing

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    1. Name? Francis Beylotte
    2. Location? Battery Park VA
    3. Years Digging? since 2004
    4. Specific type of music you are into? Rap cds and mp3 breaks
    5. What brought you to Soulstrut? Neville C
    6. Your most prized record and why? I forgot because I lost it
    7. Whats the greatest tofu dish you know how to cook? I prefer raw Tofu. Silky or firm.

• 1. David
    2. New York
    3. 6 - I first started collecting records in high school because I would buy them from bums on the street for a dollar.
    4. Anything from the 80s (new wave, funk, disco/dance), anything you can dance to
    5. A friend.
    6. "A White Man's Burden is a Black Man's Hell" by Louis X (better known as Louis Farrakhan) He had a moderately successful calpyso career in the 1950s and this 45 was put out by the Nation of Islam as a politically motivated song.
    7. The hot and sour I order from the chinese restaurant has some tofu bits in it, I guess that counts.

• "A White Man's Burden is a Black Man's Hell" by Louis X (better known as Louis Farrakhan) He had a moderately successful calpyso career in the 1950s and this 45 was put out by the Nation of Islam as a politically motivated song.

I'd like to hear. Does he sing on this track?