The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    :oh_snap: Johnson vs Finnegan ... goin' AT it in Houston! :raw:

Courtland Finnegan should be able to scrap like the Pikey his name suggests him to be, dammit.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Before anyone says it:

*Who played without Asante Samuel

Jay Cutler threw all four TDs to the right.

• The Bears pretty much owned the Eagles for most of that game.
    As a Giants fan it was nice to watch.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    -I don't get the impression Steve Johnson is gonna recover appropriately from this anytime soon.
    -Did anyone see dude on the Chargers throw the guy who was supposed to be blocking him into Peyton Manning for the sack? Shit was nearly unbelievable.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    The_Non said:

-Did anyone see dude on the Chargers throw the guy who was supposed to be blocking him into Peyton Manning for the sack? Shit was nearly unbelievable.

Im glad the Strut has finally come around to the Chargers...

Garay from the Chargers absolutely manhandled the Colts guard. Basically lifted a 260lb man and threw him onto Peyton. Here's the clip.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-diego-chargers/09000d5d81c806f1/Chargers-defense-sack-6-yd-loss

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    phongone said:
    The_Non said:

Garay from the Chargers absolutely manhandled the Colts guard. Basically lifted a 260lb man and threw him onto Peyton. Here's the clip.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-diego-chargers/09000d5d81c806f1/Chargers-defense-sack-6-yd-loss

Nah, they'll still choke and lose, but that was impressive.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    phongone said:

Vincent Jackson's Return - Fail!

• phongone said:
    The_Non said:

Dude, don't blame the strut for not believing in the Chargers. Blame Norv & special teams for making them unbelievable for far too long.

Denny Green Part Deux

• Rockadelic said:
    Went to the Cowboys/Saints game with GenePontecorvo and others.....had a blast even though we lost.....with about 5 minutes left we spotted Jerry Jones walking to the sidelines and I knew the Cowboys would lose at that moment.....had to put up with a few obnoxious Cowboy fans who are the very reason they don't allow guns in the stadium.....Jerry World is a poorly designed but beautiful place.....god forbid they ever have to quickly evacuate that place...I'd say it can't be done.

Malcolm Jenkins won the game more than Roy Williams lost it.....Kitna is playing better than pre-injured Romo....Garrett is making rookie coaching mistakes but I think he has a future.....once the playoffs start I'll be rooting for the Saints....Brees is a tough guy to root against.

Hell yes! Y'all Rich is the Host with the Most. Took me out on my birthday and then took me to the Saints / Cowboys game....hooked up a super dope tailgate w/ Fried Turkey, Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice and seriously some of the best cornbread I've ever eaten in my life. We had tons of fun and memories were made. Thanks to GV for sendin' love through the wire on game night. What a game though. I was in super depresso mode until Malcolm stepped up and then Drew and Meach sealed it. The Cowboys fans basically sat on their hands until the 3rd Quarter when Reggie fuckin' fumbled (fuck that dude sometimes) then they came alive and spent the rest of the game spraying out chants that either mocked our "Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!" or Who Dat shit...get y'all own shit bitches. It felt so good to hear some of them STFU so quickly when things looked so bad. That's what the Saints do....they make big plays and rip your fucking heart out. We'll be back in that stadium in February and cotdamm I hope I'm there.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    We'll be back in that stadium in February and cotdamm I hope I'm there.

Here here, not sure how Super Bowl champs can become sleepers...I guess that's what losing to the Cards and Browns will do to you...but the Saints are regrouping like a mugg right now for the playoff charge.

b/w

Who said that Reggie could return punts again? Please, never again.

• Week 12 Results:

Delicious Turkey: Bob was on top calling 14 out of 16

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy: Ed Powers calling 12 out of 16

Side Salad: Raj and DB Cooper came next with 11 out of 16

Dry Stuffing: The Non and Harvey calling 10 out of 16, must be noted that Harvey was the only one who had the Bears winning this week.

Burnt Pumpkin Pie: Phill Most calling 9 out 16

I took myself out since I never finished my picks, too much gobble gobble going on in my crib this weekend.

On the whole Soul Strut is doing pretty good with picks. Thanks for playing fellas.
    Week 13 coming up, have at least your Thursday pick in before kick-off.

• Alex Smith Part Deux

they even kinda look alike.

Cards last night = 13 YARDS RUSHING. That's the GAME total rushing yards.

man.*

*niners still suck; I realize this.

Week13:
    Eagles > Texans ??? Eagles will rebound at home.
    Jaguars > Titans ??? Fisher hasn???t been fired yet?
    Giants > Redskins ??? Giants take care of business.
    Vikings > Bills ??? Bills will play them close, but come up short again.
    Saints > Bengals ??? Hopefully.
    Packers > 49ers ??? Packers will rebound at home.
    Chiefs > Broncos ??? The Chiefs might score 50 in this one.
    Bears > Lions ??? Picked the Lions at first, but backed off.
    Dolphins > Browns ??? If McCoy starts, Browns would have a better chance.
    Chargers > Raiders ??? The Raiders are toast.
    Seahawks > Panthers ??? Anyone watching this one loses.
    Falcons > Buccaneers ??? Wish I could pick the Bucs, but no.
    Rams > Cardinals ??? Bradford deserves some MVP mention.
    Cowboys > Colts ??? Upset special...Colts are reeling.
    Ravens > Steelers ??? I don???t believe in either of these teams.
    Jets > Patriots ??? Hard to pick against the Pats at home, but their d still sucks.

Oh, and I shoulda had 11 last week but didn't get my Pats pick in on time.

• RAJ said:
    Denny Green Part Deux

:nagl:

get this guy outta here.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Cowboys > Colts ??? Upset special...Colts are reeling.

More of a spoiler by the Cowboys than a true upset. Colts are all banged up (like usual) and Peyton can't do it alone. The mind reels at thinking the Jags could win the South.

• Will Carroll, Sports Illustrated writer and alleged "injury expert," tweeted the following about Gore???s fractured hip: ???Gore done for season with broken hip. Not sure how serious. Bo Jackson is immediate thought."

• Garcia_Vega said:
    Burnt Pumpkin Pie: Phill Most calling 9 out 16

I was just about to do the following after-the-fact edit to my week 12 picks post and call for a recount, but this troubling good conscience of mine wouldn't allow me to violate the unwritten code of Soulstrut Sportmanship. Garcia_Vega, be sure to record everyone's picks before the games begin to ensure that no funny business goes on in this competition. Whipped cream on burnt pumpkin pie makes it taste better.

WEEK 12

PATS over LIONS - typical Thanksgiving turkey performace by Detroit
    SAINTS over COWROYS - Roy Williams ain't sh*t
    JETS over BENGALS - will be looking at that TO vs Revis matchup (if I watch this lousy ass game at all)
    VIKINGS over DEADSKINS - Vikes reenergized now that Chilly is gone... even if All Day gets hurt and only plays some of the day it won't matter
    TEXANS over TITANS -Houston will win this fight GUARANTEED
    GIANTS over JAGS - for the life of me I can't see how this could possibly go the other way... I really can't
    BROWNS over PANTHERS - Browns need to start beating up on horrible teams like Carolina if they ever want to take the next step
    STEELERS over BILLS - Stevie Johnson will FAIL then cry afterwards... so sad
    FALCONS over PACKERS - Packers still can't run the ball, they've got Jim Nance at running back these days... ATL don't lose at home
    CHIEFS over SEAHAWKS - because Mike Williams is hurt. Chiefs have to start winning on the road if they're to be taken seriously
    PHINS over RAIDERS- I think the Raiders have joined the list of teams who don't care anymore.
    RAMS over DONKEYS- I'm far from enamored with Denver. Bradford is :killin_it:
    EAGLES over DA BEARS - Vick will throw for over 300 yards and 2 tds... it would take four tds by Cutler for the Bears to win, and how in the HELL could that ever happen??? Huh??? Somebody please tell me HOW THE HELL COULD THAT EVER HAPPEN??????
    RAVENS over BUCS - I am a Tampa bay fan, though
    BOLTS over COLTS - No Manning magic this year, folks... Colts are decimated, SD is bangin' right now
    49ERS over CARDS - Only if my boy Westbrook gets into the game, though

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Phi > Hou - Home Team wins
    Cin > NO - I'm going to keep picking Cincy until they win
    Chi > Det - Chicago is confident ..Detroit peaked a long time ago
    GB > SF - Green Bay in December
    KC > Den - Denver is the worst team in the league
    Mia > Cle - i really don't believe this .....
    Buff > Minn - Steve Johnson makes a deal with The Devil
    NYG > Wash
    Jax > Tenn - Jeff Fisher is the new Jack Del Rio
    SD > Oak
    Ariz > Stl - Again....I want this entire division to finish in a 4way tie
    Indy > Dal - If Kitna beats Peyton in Indy, Manning would probably hang himself from the goal post
    Sea > Car - Whatever happens won't surprise me.....even if Carolina wins by double digits
    ATL > TB - TB is the definition of a bubble team...almost there, but not quite
    Pitt > Bal - Teams will regret not putting The Steelers away when Dixon and Batch were the starters
    NYJ > NE - monday night game is usually a blowout.....i expect the same here

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

Courtland Finnegan should be able to scrap like the Pikey his name suggests him to be, dammit.

The NFL is making Courtland change the name on the back of his jersey to Innigan since AJ beat the F out of him.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    JectWon said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

The NFL is making Courtland change the name on the back of his jersey to Innigan since AJ beat the F out of him.

Nice...will totally be using that one at work.

They have shown that fight so many fucking times on anything sports related.

Anyways, is it too early to say who is going to the Super Bowl? Any thoughts? I can't call it...Jets seem to have the momentum and confidence but I still have my doubts. Winning on the last drive of the game over and over seems like it will catch up to em' post season.

• Phill With 2 Ls said:

I was just about to do the following after-the-fact edit to my week 12 picks post and call for a recount, but this troubling good conscience of mine wouldn't allow me to violate the unwritten code of Soulstrut Sportmanship. Garcia_Vega, be sure to record everyone's picks before the games begin to ensure that no funny business goes on in this competition. Whipped cream on burnt pumpkin pie makes it taste better.

I'm watching these dudes, no funny business indeed.

Is it true Andy Reid made DeSean Jackson cry in the locker room after the Chicago game? The Fat Man is going to ruin your chances of doing well in the post season again.

If they can't beat the Bears, especially with the MVP of the universe at qb...fuhgitabouddit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    edpowers said:

I can understand picking the Jets in this game, I guess - but expecting them to blowout the Pats in Foxborough?

never that, son.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Made my annual Baltimore Turkey Week pilgrimage to visit the in-laws and feast on the greatest stuffing in the world, grace of Bubbe Seigel. Of course, hit the Ravens v Bucs match at M&T. A very cool affair, as we settled down after the first few series and dominated the game on both sides of the ball.

Much better defensive effort on our part. Got to the quarterback a lot, forcing numerous bad throws and wild scrambling from Freeman. Reed nearly had a bunch of picks. He is now the go to inside the 20 punt returner when a fair catch is expected. The theory being that he has the best hands on the team. Of course, he fumbled one that he should have let bounce into the end zone. Ray doesn't seem like the same player anymore but then you look at the box score and dude has 12 tackles. Is there any argument that he is not the best defensive player of the last decade?

Mason just totally abused the Bucs. At one point they threw three outs to him in a row to the exact same spot, as if they were telling the Bucs you cannot stop us. All week the papers were jawing about Mason and Flacco's fight during last week's game. There's even speculation that Mason is gone after next year. We'll see after that kind of performance.

Fun to see two old Oregon Ducks going at it head to head in the trenches. Advantage Ngata over Blount.

I am beginning to believe in the offense for a couple of reasons. Flacco is really limiting his bad plays, allowing the talent at receiver to become a factor. I had been worried that we weren't using Rice effectively but now see that we are limiting his running touches without losing our ability to compete. This is good news in a league where injuries can completely change your season (hello Indy). The balance on offense has allowed a healthy Todd Heap to realize his promise after years of underachieving. Seems like every week dude slips in behind the opposition for a long TD. I still don't like how Cam has shut it down with leads in the second half but I am seeing improvement in the past few weeks in the play calling and scheming.

To top it all off, I went to 11-1 at home games since 2000.

This week's game against the Steelers is pretty much the season or at least the first round bye. I am feeling pretty confident at this point. Home game against a very up and down Pittsburgh squad hobbled by injuries. Ben has not shown the kind of resilience this year that made him so difficult in the past few years. I am not predicting a big win but I think we got this one, especially if Oher is able to play. Raj should we go for round 2?

• SoulOnIce said:
    edpowers said:

I can understand picking the Jets in this game, I guess - but expecting them to blowout the Pats in Foxborough?

never that, son.

I'm really psyched for this game. Unfortunately I'll be in Cape Cod with no TV, and rooting for the Jets in a local bar can be dangerous.

I doubt it will be a blow out, too, but I'm guessing the Jets will break the cold, cold heart of Bill Belichick.

DrWu said:

Raj should we go for round 2?

Sorry, holmes. But I'm afraid you're right on your assessment on my squad. I still stand by my view that the Ravens are the best team in the AFC... and besides all the other bullshit we can't win at M&T Bank stadium.

I still have nightmares over this game:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    RAJ said:
    DrWu said:

Raj should we go for round 2?

Sorry, holmes. But I'm afraid you're right on your assessment on my squad. I still stand by my view that the Ravens are the best team in the AFC... and besides all the other bullshit we can't win at M&T Bank stadium.

I still have nightmares over this game:

I was at that game. I really thought Roethlisberger might be dead. I'll never forget the sound of 60,000 people wincing. Saw the game there last year too. Dixon played a nice game in relief, just that one pick did him in. Kinda sad he didn't get a chance to show out when Ben was in the dock. Good luck and may the best team win.

• Week 12: When Things Get Real

Eagles over Texans: Although I really want the Texans to win. It'll all depend on whether Philly's offensive line holds on long enough to let Jackson take advantage of possibly the worst secondary in the league, and also if the Eagles defense stops Foster and Johnson. And I hope we get to see just how important Asante Samuel is for the Eagles.
    Saints over Bengals: Easy, Saints getting strong at the right time. A must win too since the rest of ATL's schedule is pretty cream puff, meaning the Saints won't win the South, so a hunt for the wild card is on.
    Bears over Lions: The Lions are done. Can Culter keep the picks down to a minimum for the rest of the season?
    Packers over Niners: Will Vernon Davis give a pregame cry, in a performance worthy of Glenn Back's admiration, for the rest of the season?
    Chiefs over Broncos: I called it for the Chiefs last time too and the Broncos stomped them. This will be what that game was supposed to have been, the Chiefs will run all over them and the defense will make Orton look bad, but please Kyle, don't be so bad that they put in Tebow. The game might get ugly given the no handshake/rivalry renewal.
    Dolphins over Browns: Browns are going nowhere with Delhomme.
    Bills over Vikings: I'm done picking the Vikings this season.
    Giants over Redskins: Giants have had the Redskins' number for a few years now. As long as special teams and turnovers don't hurt them the Giants should win.
    Jaguars over Titans: I think Jeff Fischer might finally find himself unemployed this off season.
    Chargers over Raiders: This game might get ugly.
    Rams over Cardinals: I still can't believe what has happened to the Cards.
    Cowboys over Colts: I said at the beginning of the season that Colts dominance was over, but it seems its just due to injuries. Cowboys are playing spoiler the rest of the way.
    Seahawks over Panthers: Yawn
    Bucs over Falcons: Upset special. The Bucs played Atlanta tough in Georgia, I expect them to pull no punches this week. This is going to be an interesting game.
    Ravens over Steelers: A showcase of brutality, the game will be low scoring and concussion inducing.
    Pats over Jets: Brady > Sanchez, and that's what its going to come down to.

Not a lot of suprises this week, I think this is where we thought the league would be around week 6. And I'm still not used to this Thursday night game bullshit. Making picks on Friday made my day go faster.

Week 12

Eagles > Texans: Could be the Redskins Massacre Part 2
    Saints > Bengals: Bengals will hang around like they did with the Jets then implode. Carson Palmer to Arizona any one?
    Bears > Lions: Tempted for an upset special... reeks of TRAP game
    Packers > Niners: Bleh. I avoid anything Niners related.
    Chiefs > Broncos: Wondering if McDummy had tapes of the Chiefs after that last ass-whopping. Haley adjusts game plan. Joshy boy weeps.
    Dolphins > Browns: Browns are only good with Colt McCoy.
    Bills > Vikings: Bills are good... they are NOT the same team as they were in Week 3. They put up mad points and sack Favre lots.
    Giants > Redskins: I can't pick the Skins any more... even if they play the Cardinals.
    Jaguars > Titans: Amazing how irrelevant Moss is these days.
    Chargers > Raiders: No comment
    Rams > Cardinals: Anderson may pour his heart and soul into this shit every week but he still SUCKS!
    Colts > Cowboys Manning rebound game
    Panthers > Seahawks: I know about the 12th man and all but I forsee a big day for Mike Goodson
    Falcons > Bucs: I'm done picking against the Falcons and for the Bucs.
    Ravens over Steelers: Hoping I'm wrong on this, but we can't win at M&T bank Stadium and can't protect Rapistsburgers.
    Pats > Jets: Hate both teams and hope Brady gets an UGG boot to the face. But Pats have looked better in the past few weeks. Jet's luck ends this week.