The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• There's actually a lot of debate in football about which one is a bigger FU move- kicking the FG, implying that you need the points, or going for it, and basically saying, "if you don't want us to score anymore, just stop us here and you can have the ball back." I'm sure for one of the great defenses in the NFL, they'd always prefer the 2nd option.

GV, we need to football talk over beer, and I think BB is a coldhearted dick, but as I've said, I've got no problem with that gameplan on decision.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    gareth said:
    GV, we need to football talk over beer, and I think BB is a coldhearted dick, but as I've said, I've got no problem with that gameplan on decision.

YES. BEER SUMMIT. GET A SITTER DAWG.

• gareth said:
    There's actually a lot of debate in football about which one is a bigger FU move- kicking the FG, implying that you need the points, or going for it, and basically saying, "if you don't want us to score anymore, just stop us here and you can have the ball back." I'm sure for one of the great defenses in the NFL, they'd always prefer the 2nd option.

I hear what you're saying and there's no excuse for the Jets not covering the slant, they were getting burned all night.

So more dominant MNF preformance Tom Brady over the Jets, or Michael Vick over the Redskins?

• DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:

I don't need a sitter, I have a wife ;) (who clearly doesn't read soulstrut or I wouldn't be making jokes)

When's G getting a weekend off though? April? April is good for me...

Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:

I don't need a sitter, I have a wife ;) (who clearly doesn't read soulstrut or I wouldn't be making jokes)

Good point. G***** QUIT YOUR JOB AND COME DRINK BEERS.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:

MY WEEKEND'S INCLUDE THURSDAYS, DAWGS!

May get a weekend in Jan/Feb, depending on how college hoops shakes out. May have to see some fam, tho, as I'll be in some far flung NFL town at Christmas, as it falls on a Saturday.

gareth said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    gareth said:

MY WEEKEND'S INCLUDE THURSDAYS, DAWGS!

May get a weekend in Jan/Feb, depending on how college hoops shakes out. May have to see some fam, tho, as I'll be in some far flung NFL town at Christmas, as it falls on a Saturday.

Sheeeeeeit. I guess I could drink on a school night. I guess.

• Options
    Garcia_Vega said:
    gareth said:
    There's actually a lot of debate in football about which one is a bigger FU move- kicking the FG, implying that you need the points, or going for it, and basically saying, "if you don't want us to score anymore, just stop us here and you can have the ball back." I'm sure for one of the great defenses in the NFL, they'd always prefer the 2nd option.

I hear what you're saying and there's no excuse for the Jets not covering the slant, they were getting burned all night.

So more dominant MNF preformance Tom Brady over the Jets, or Michael Vick over the Redskins?

Brady. Suck as they might have last night, the Jets were 9-2. Vick's game came against a deadass team that really has nothing going for it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:

Vick's was a better individual performance, Brady was part of a more thorough team beating.

Indianapolis > Tennessee This will not be an upset special. In fact, I don't think it will be close.
    Tampa Bay > Washington TB is on the move but just a cut below the elite teams. Redskins are an easy task.
    Cleveland > Buffalo Hmmm. Peyton Hillis vs the league's WORST run defense. Lock.
    Minnesota > NY Giants Fuck. This all depends on who is at QB for the Vikings. There are ramblings that Favre will start. HE WILL DIE ON SUNDAY IF HE DOES. Tavares starts, Vikings prevail.
    Green Bay > Detroit Aaron Rodgers air strike
    Oakland > Jacksonville I can't make apples of Oakland after they embarrassed a hot SD team.
    Pittsburgh > Cincinnati By no means is this a lay up. Bungles gave the Saints a scare last week. I still think the Steelers D is too much for Carson Palmer.
    Atlanta > Carolina Yawn.
    Seattle > San Francisco I heard Alex Smith is starting. De Ja Vu of week 1.
    St. Louis > New Orleans Saints are due for a loss. Rams play teams close.
    New England > Chicago Tempted to pick an upset her seeing the Bears are running the ball and playing great D. But can you really pick against NE after they shellacked my boys and the Jets?
    Denver> Arizona Team finds inspiration to win a game for their interim coach part 3
    Miami > NY Jets Cue Jets tailspin.
    Kansas City > SD KC RUNS the ball really well... I expect them to win this one.
    Dallas > Philadelphia Sorry Eagles fans but you're suspect against the pass... and the Boys are playing inspired football.
    Baltimore > HoustonRooting for the Texans but can't trust them. It will be close but Flacco prevails. He will make use of his receiving core.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Colts > Titans
    Bills > Browns
    Falcons > Panthers
    Steelers > Bengals
    Giants > Vikings
    Packers > Lions
    Jaguars > Raiders
    Buccaneers > Redskins
    Saints > Rams
    49ers > Seahawks
    Patriots > Bears
    Jets > Dolphins
    Broncos > Cardinals
    Chargers > Chiefs
    Eagles > Cowboys
    Ravens > Texans

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Vikings should let Favre start, have him take exactly one snap (a running play, hopefully), and then bench him for the rest of the game. This should be their QB strategy for as long as that hillbilly jerkoff is on the team.

Colts over Titans
    Browns over Bills
    Falcons over Panthers
    Steelers over Bengals
    Giants over Vikings
    Packers over Lions
    Raiders over Jaguars >
    Buccaneers over Redskins
    Saints over Rams
    Seahawks over 49ers
    Patriots over Bears
    Jets over Dolphins
    Cardinals over Broncos
    Chargers over Chiefs
    Eagles over Cowboys
    Ravens over Texans

Damn... Safe picks. I think there will be a bunch of upsets this Sunday.

RAJ said:
    Damn... Safe picks. I think there will be a bunch of upsets this Sunday.

I'm thinking this will be one of those weeks that goes by the book. Still though, ANY GIVEN SUNDAY.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    With all the talk of dirty football this year, this is what dirty football really looks like...

• Horseleech said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    I hope HorseLeech watched tonight's game at that Woods Hole tavern :beerbang:

tell me teams want to come to Foxborough in the playoffs. yeah they do.

Actually i could have watched it at the local dive bar, as Mike Devito is from Wellfleet.

It would have sucked, though, seeing as the Jets got completely embarrassed.

I thought this game could have gone either way, but not this way.

Late on this, but that's my dude! Good homie. Played with him at Nauset (HS) and against him in college. We even both got rings freshman year of college when NU & UMaine tied for Atlantic 10 champs. Of course that is where our paths diverge ha. Proud of that kid though I never thought he'd be getting this much playing time!

• HarveyCanal said:
    With all the talk of dirty football this year, this is what dirty football really looks like...

Always hated that hit on Swann in the 76 season opener. He hit Swann in the back of the head when he wasnt looking (coward) while the ball carrier sailed passed him. Isnt the point of playing defence to stop the guy with the ball?

Some nasty ish in that video but also some good tackling, not alot of hits leading with the helmet

• Options
    RAJ said:
    Kansas City > SD KC RUNS the ball really well... I expect them to win this one.

Cassel had an appendectomy today, so you might want to revise this one.

• HarveyCanal said:

That's REAL football right there, before they put skirts on all the offensive players. I love how the Raiders used to punk Lynn Swann's ol' black republican ass! Ha ha ha

• WEEK 14

COLTS over TITANS - Even with Manning throwing passes to his mailman and the homeless guy down the street the Colts BEAT the Titans
    BROWNS over BILLS - Buffalo is fading, Browns ain't shit either but somebody's gotta win it
    FALCONS over PANTHERS - DAMN I want to call an upset here! Common sense won't allow me to do it, though
    PACKERS over LIONS - It must be really, really hard being a Detroit Lions fan
    JAGS over RAIDERS - Although I think the Raiders are the better team, I'm going with the home team hosting a game against a west coast team (this kind of thinking usually does not work for me). How is this game actually relevant in week 14???
    VIKINGS over GIANTS - Brett or Tavaris, doesn't matter
    STEELERS over BENGALS - you've had enough time, Marvin Lewis
    BUCS over DEADSKINS - Shanahan's players hate him
    SAINTS over RAMS - I think the Saints are ready to get taken... just don't think the Rams are the team to take them
    SEAHAWKS over 49ERS - SF needs to start all over again, beginning with head coach and QB
    BRONCS over CARDS - Another interim coach wilds out
    BEARS over PATS - Once again I'm not picking the better team due to home field and other intangibles (why do I keep doing this???)
    JETS over PHINS - blowout
    CHARGERS over CHIEFS - Cassel or understudy, doesn't matter
    EAGLES over COWBOYS - 10 days to prepare, Andy Reid doesn't lose under those conditions
    RAVENS over TEXANS - You've had enough time, Kubiak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm gonna give it a shot this week.

TITANS over COLTS - 11 picks in 3 weeks.....:Peyton made the below average Cowboy d-backs look like All-Pros w/ 2 Pick-6's......Colts are done.
    BROWNS over BILLS - Steve Johnson pissed off God......as punishment he has to play another 3 years in Buffalo.
    FALCONS over PANTHERS - These dirty birds are for real.
    PACKERS over LIONS - Pack looking to get momentum going into the home stretch
    JAGS over RAIDERS - I think this game is gonna be a blow-out....and I wouldn't be shocked if the Raiders did the blowin.
    GIANTS over VIKINGS - I saw a ventriloquist dummy that looked just like Eli Manning in an Antique Shop in Austin this past weekend.....I take that as a "sign"
    STEELERS over BENGALS - T.O. asks Troy P. out to the movies after the game
    BUCS over DEADSKINS - Shanahan could star in Grand Torino II.....Little Danny Snyder gets what he deserves.
    SAINTS over RAMS - Super Bowl champs start gearing ip for the stretch.....Brees is the best QB in the game right now who never killed a dog.
    49ERS over SEAHAWKS - Mike Singletary might be the first Coach to kill one of his players.
    BRONCS over CARDS - Another interim coach wilds out (TM Philly Phill)
    PATS over BEARS - Brady is on track
    JETS over PHINS - The embarrassed Jets will show some sack.....or not
    CHARGERS over CHIEFS - Rivers to have a big day
    COWBOYS over EAGLES- My brain tells me the Eagles will win.....but the Cowboys have played as well as any team over the last month.....3-1 with the loss being the Saints game that they certainly competed in.....Miles Austin will be the difference.
    RAVENS over TEXANS - I'd take the "under" at 28

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Indy > Tenn Indy can't run the ball or defend the pass....this would matter against any team, except The Titans.
    Buff > Cle Home Team wins
    Car > ATL ATL is due for a road loss
    GB > Det This looks like a nice spot to pick an upset...but GB is playing for home field adv.....Detroit is playing not to get injured or fined (see Suh)
    Jax > Oak Oak played their Super Bowl last week
    NYG > Minn Vikings wins are against Ariz,Wash,Buff,Det and Dallas
    Cinn > Pitt .....again, i'm going to pick The Bengals until they win
    TB > Wash EDIT: I've changed my pick here because as my step-dad just said..."Shanahan aint worth a shit...he need to sit his old ass down somewhere"
    NO > STL MY NFC WEST SCENARIO IS STILL ALIVE
    SF > Sea see above
    Arz > Den see above
    NE > Chi i still think Chicago doesnt make the playoffs.
    Mia > NYJ Jets always win @ Miami ...Miami always wins @ Jets
    SD > KC Chargers been waiting for this rematch since week #1
    Phil > Dall WHOOP ASS ALERT !
    Balt > Hou again....Monday night game is always a bangout ......the trick (in some cases) is picking the Bangee

• I'm feeling the enthusiasm for the late season picks of the week.

Colts over Titans: Like cookbook, I'd want to see Young James get more touches and give Peyton a break. For the next four weeks the Colts have the season on the line, I don't see them folding just yet, especially against a division rival with no QB.

I got a lot of work today, so I'll post the rest tomorrow.

Edit: Here's the Rest
    My Explorer crashed as I was finishing and I don't feel like writting everything over again, so here it is down and dirty. Fuck you IE.

Bills over Browns
    Falcons over Panthers
    Packers over Lions
    Jags over Raiders
    Vikings over Giants
    Steelers over Bengals
    Bucs over Skins
    Saints voer Rams
    Seahawks over Niners
    Broncos over Cards
    Jets over Dolphins
    Chargers over Chiefs
    Eagles over Cowboys
    Ravens over Texans

• Options
    Thursday night:

Colts > Titans. The Titans are a disgraceful mess and even half a Peyton should be able to beat them.

The rest later.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    I'm feeling the enthusiasm for the late season picks of the week.

Colts over Titans: Like cookbook, I'd want to see Young James get more touches and give Peyton a break. For the next four weeks the Colts have the season on the line, I don't see them folding just yet, especially against a division rival with no QB.

I got a lot of work today, so I'll post the rest tomorrow.

they did it! ...barely

• Options
    BobDesperado said:
    Thursday night:

Colts > Titans. The Titans are a disgraceful mess and even half a Peyton should be able to beat them.

The rest later.

Browns > Bills. Should be a big game for Mr. Hillis.
    Steelers > Bengals. Not much doubt here.
    Jaguars > Raiders. Raiders won't stop the little big man.
    Racialslurs > Bucs. Bucs are banged up and discouraged. I hate picking the 'slurs but I have to here.
    Packers > Lions. Lions will need two scores on D just to keep it close, and it won't happen.
    Giants > Vikings. If Favre starts it will be super-ugly. If it's Jackson it'll be dull, which is worse.
    Falcons > Panthers. Almost a bye week for the Falcons.
    Saints > Rams. I'd love to see an upset because I want to see the Rams make the playoffs, but Brees will do enough to keep pace with Atlanta and keep the Saints alive for the division title.
    Seahawks > 49ers. No Gore, no chance.
    Broncos > Cards. Someone has to win. Orton should be able to get it done here.
    Patriots > Bears. Brady plays lights out in shitty weather and always has. I can't see Cutler going pickless, either.
    Jets > Dolphins. If I thought the Dolphins could score 28 points or more I'd pick them, but I can't see that happening.
    Chargers > Chiefs. No way Crabby Goyle wins in San Diego.
    Cowboys > Eagles. No Samuel leads to Kitna having an effective day and winning a shootout. (And if Cowher ends up in Dallas it will not work out. He's still the same guy who thought Kordell Stewart could play.)
    Ravens > Texans. Baltimore loves to beat up on bad teams almost as much as they like to make excuses when they lose to good ones.

Worst Move Ever - Building an enclosed stadium in Minnesota with a roof that can't handle 17 inches of snow.

• BobDesperado said:

Worst Move Ever - Building an enclosed stadium in Minnesota with a roof that can't handle 17 inches of snow.

Right? It's Minnesota you dumbasses! Being able to handle huge amounts of snow should be the number one concern, shouldn't it? Well, it works out great for us here in Philly- both the Giants AND Vikings' routine is gonna be all f**ked up now, and guess who our next two opponents are gonna be after we take down the Cowchips tonight? The Giants and the Vikings. Couldn't have planned it any better myself.

• Options
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    BobDesperado said:

Right? It's Minnesota you dumbasses! Being able to handle huge amounts of snow should be the number one concern, shouldn't it? Well, it works out great for us here in Philly- both the Giants AND Vikings' routine is gonna be all f**ked up now, and guess who our next two opponents are gonna be after we take down the Cowchips tonight? The Giants and the Vikings. Couldn't have planned it any better myself.

I heard that the game will be FREE ADMISSION. That could be all kinds of crazy. I wish they would toss in free beer and put it on the NFL Network.