The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    gareth said:
    Drew Magary on Deadspin has the following for MoeLarryDesperado...

I've seen on any number of message boards retard fans who had this to say about Vick taking apart the Redskins last week: "Well, I'd never want him on MY team. I'd be ashamed if he were my quarterback." If you find someone who says this in person, you walk up to them and you rub your scrotum against them. I fucking hate uppity sports fans who have some kind of imaginary, subjective criteria for what kind of athlete they deem acceptable for their team and which they don't. It's bullshit. BULLSHIT. If you're into sports because you want athletes to be good people, stop watching fucking sports. Because no team at no time will be 100% stocked with perfect, moral citizens of the universe. You just happen to know more about Mike Vick's transgressions than you do most any other athlete's. If you're a Giants fan and you say you'd never have Vick on your team, you have no fucking clue if there's some prick already ON the Giants who is an even worse person than Vick, someone who hasn't at all paid for his sins. Mario Manningham could rape goats. I don't know. How the fuck would I know?

Anyone who applies this sort of ethical standard to pro sports is a retard. It's professional sports. It's not even some cockamamie "amateur" enterprise like the NCAA or the Olympics, which are both terminally fucked because of the same kind of hypocrisy. I don't root for players on my team to stay faithful to their wives and take cancer babies to the State Fair. I root for them to do a job. Anything outside of that purview is pointless and unrealistic. It's a transparent exercise in cheap self-esteem boosting. It's basically a way of deluding yourself into thinking you're somehow a good person by saying you'll never root for Vick, or that your team would NEVER dare employ such a horrible monster on its squad. It's all a load of shit. If Vick were on my team right now, I'd buy 800 pieces of Vick memorabilia, even the commemorative #7 Valtrex travel pack. The fuck do I care? He's destroying the world right now. I don't give a shit if he took a dog and chopped its dick off with a pizza cutter. I already know he's a moron who's liable to do something idiotic at any second. But ANY player on the squad could also be that way. I don't know them. I CAN'T know them. And to assume otherwise makes you a swollen dickhole.

Yeah, because I care what some asshole from Deadspin has to say.

No one should have an opinion about anyone in any endeavor of life because, like, you never know, they might rape goats.

Gareth, maybe if you found out next week that Tom Brady goes to Thailand 3 times a year and has sex with 5 year olds you'd still keep his Fathead on your wall, but I promise you I would not. Maybe that earns you more Hipster Style Points than I'll ever have on the Deadspinmeter, but I could not give two shits either way.

And there's a difference between being a dickhead and doing what Vick did. Curt Schilling was and is a dickhead, but I had no problem rooting for him as a member of the "best Red Sox team ever assembled."

I'm not a big Michael Vick fan for a variety of reasons including that he plays for a rival of the team I root for.

But jeeez, the guy committed a crime, was found guilty and paid the penalty....and quite honestly I don't think he got off easy.

Even if he murdered a human, and did his time, I would not want to prevent him from making a living at his chosen profession of playing a friggin game.

Michael Vick > Jack Abbott

I'm not sure why anyone thinks I'm suggesting Vick shouldn't be able to play. Since I've never said anything of the sort - or even come close to it - you must be responding to someone in another dimension.

Rockadelic > Radioactive

• Options
    Miami > Chicago: The Thigpen Era begins. Jay Cutler gives up two picks.
    Jets > Texans: Hard to see it going the other way with Schaub hurting and terrible Texan D.
    Ravens > Panthers: The Panthers make the Bills look good. This should be off the board.
    Chiefs > Cardinals: The Junior Patriots take out the Cards, who are back to their usual doormat status.
    Packers > Vikings: Packers. There's a good chance Childress gives Favre a big FUCK YOU by pulling him out against his old team early if they get down by 10 or more.
    Steelers > Raiders: I think Rapistberger comes up with a big game for some reason.
    Bills > Bengals: Cincinnati starts mailing the rest of the season in.
    Browns > Jaguars: If Hillis can avoid fumbling and they get a couple of big plays from Cribbs.
    Titans > Racialslurs: Talk about McNabb's conditioning problems go back a long way. I remember when he was puking during the Super Bowl. The Slurs won't contend as long as Snyder owns the team.
    Cowboys > Lions: The Revenge of Jon Kitna. Not that he'll remember it in 10 years what with all the concussions.
    Saints > Seahawks: If this isn't over by halftime then the Saints are not back yet. But it should be.
    Bucs > 49ers: If Troy Smith is your messiah you should change religions.
    Patriots > Colts: Peyton Manning never liked playing in Foxboro even when the Colts were good.
    Giants > Eagles: The NBC crew never mentions any player other than Michael Vick the whole game, but the Giants had their brain-fart last week and they'll be awake for this one.
    Chargers > Broncos: Tim Tebow has a book coming out. I won't be buying it. Why exactly is this the Monday night game this week?

Late add, left one out - Falcons > Rams.

• WEEK 11

PHINS over DA BEARS
    - Dude at my work is telling me to watch out for Chicago, they're poised to make a run for the playoffs... dude at my work has a shitloaf for a brain. Devin Hester IS the Bears, without him giving them short fields they, and Jay Cutler, are steaming garbage. Even with Thigpen and Ronnie Brown alternating at QB, I'm taking my prognosticating talents to South Beach and picking the Dolphins
    RAVENS over PANTHERS - Not even fair
    BILLS over BENGALS - Even though they showed a little life against the Colts last week, I don't think the Bengals care about playing the rest of these games
    CHIEFS over CARDINALS - Chiefs bounce back, dumbass Haley beats his old squad, no fingers are waved
    COWBOYS over LIONS - Cowboys are gonna be a dangerous team down the stretch... spoiler alert
    BROWNS over JAGUARS - Man, I don't know how the hell the Jaguars are 5-4. Browns have impressed the hell out of me the last four weeks... although it's too late for a playoff run this year I think they're actually legit
    PACKERS over VIKINGS - is Tavaris warming up yet?
    JETS over TEXANS - I don't think I'm picking Houston anymore this season
    STILLERS over RAIDERS - reality check for Jason Campbell and the crew
    TITANS over REDSKINS - omg, what a trainwreck they've got down there in DC... I feel sorry for the fans.
    SAINTS over SEAHAWKS - I want to pick Seattle but I'm gonna punk out and go with the safe, logical choice here
    49ERS over BUCS - I'm sipping the Troy Smith Kool Aid Jammers
    FALCONS over RAMS - I see y'all pickin' the Rams in this one, I get it... sexy choice. I think the Falcons are the better team, though
    PATRIOTS over COLTS - Colts are not the Colts this year... maybe never will be again
    EAGLES over GIANTS - When some of you just admit that Michael Vick is God- of humans AND dogs alike- you will be much better for it
    BOLTS over BRONCS - Good game last week, Denver... cherish it, because a win like that won't happen again anytime soon. The Broncos stink and I expect them to lose very, very badly Monday night

:real_headz:

• Glad to see more people picking games, I'll tally results on Tuesday and see how we did, so get them in people.

Week 11, the end of the byes, the beginning of the race. My take (and I missed calling CHI vs MIA, but oh well):

Ravens over Panthers: Will Ray Rice finally have his breakout game? I'm now convinced the Panthers are the worst team in the league, if I was still alive in a survior pool I'd just pick against them every week.
    Bills over Bengals: TO comes back to Buffalo, although it doesn't feel like he ever played for them. Who does Cincy have on the bench waiting to take over for Palmer? Remember when Palmer was good four or five seasons ago, feels like forever.
    Cowboys over Lions: If the Lions QB's were healthy I'd call the game for them. I would like to see Kitna take it in the teeth at his old hime, but doubt it will happen. Dez Bryant has the potential to be a star receiver in the league.
    Browns over Jags: The Browns have held their own against three great teams, plus historically they've had the Jags number. Still like Ed says, this is the type of game the Browns lose, their last second loss last week might have been demoralizing. Meanwhile the Jags last second win could make their heads swell. The Jags need to win to stay in the wildcard hunt, its going to be interesting.
    Chiefs over Cards: I don't know how I feel picking the Chiefs again after last week, but the game is also against Arizona, who is not having the greatest of seasons. I like the Chiefs staying undefeated at home.
    Packers over Vikings: I really want to call it the other way around, but I'm done talking about how desperate the Vikings are and how that will put them over the top. Favre won't get benched, not against his former team, but Chilly is over and out. What happened to the Vikings?
    Jets over Texans: So much for the Texans breakout year, the Nap still owns the AFC South. Jets dodged a bullet two weeks in a row, a good team finds a way to win, they keep it up and they could actually be SB bound.
    Steelers over Raiders: Remember last year when the Raiders knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs by winning in Pitt? That won't happen again, I don't care how great McFadden is, or how good Campbell has looked, the Steelers don't get owned by the Pats and then fall to the Raiders.
    Titans over Redskins: Redskins on the road with short rest, not happening. How great would it be if they could mic up DeAngleo Hall and Randy Moss?
    Saints over Seahawks: NO hasn't been the flashy team of last year, but they are doing great quietly. This might be their statement game, it sure was for the Giants when they played the Seahawks, also off a bye.
    Niners over Bucs: I like SF at home, I expect this game to be close.
    Rams over Falcons: The Rams have been tough to beat at home this year, and the Falcons haven't been so great on the road. If they can stop Roddy White they have a good chance of winning this game, and if anyone can coach against him its Spagnuolo.
    Colts over Pats: The Colts have won 5 of the last 6. Yes Peyton doesn't have the supporting cast, but the Pats' defense isn't what it once was either. This game is always close and always brings out the best in both teams, should be entertaining.
    Giants over Eagles: Giants have dropped four stright against the Eagles, they have to win one at some point, might as well be on Sunday night. Putting up 59 against the Redskins, and getting schooled by the Cowboys, only motivates the NY defense more, and the defense always does well on Sunday night. I'm worried about the Giants offense with key injuries to the o-line, if they hold up and the turnovers go in our favor I think we have a good chance. Two things, this game is going to be real physical, and it will be won in the first half, maybe the first quarter.
    Chargers over Broncos: Haha, no one is picking the Broncos even after they killed the Chiefs last week. It is true that this is the time the Chargers start taking over the West. Orton has been putting up great numbers, just not winning the games, this one will be no exception.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hard for me to not consider the spreads, but here are my SU picks...

Ravens/Panthers - Panthers have atrophied into a Arena level team...Ravens.

Texans/Jets - Sanchez is garbage but Kubiak and his awful game-planning isn't going to get this one done for the Texans...Jets.

Bills/Bengals - I don't see the Bills winning 2 in a row here...Bengals

Raiders/Steelers - would really like to see the Raiders take this one, so...Raiders.

Browns/Jaguars - Wishing the best for Lil Colt, but Jags are going to be carrying too much momentum...Jaguars.

Lions/Cowboys - Seeing this one as a close game, but the home team will prevail...Cowboys.

Packers/Vikings - Packers are the better team, but the Vikings are a different animal at home...Vikings.

Cardinals/Chiefs - another team that plays well above its head at home...Chiefs.

Redskins/Titans - a battle of teams who hoped to make the playoffs but will both fall short...Titans.

Seahawks/Saints - if the Saints tank this one, I might just have to consult the main regulating mens of the neighborhood...Saints.

Falcons/Rams - Rams aren't bad, but they won't beat the Falcons...Falcons.

Buccaneers/49ers - 49ers are hot right now and glad to be at home, but I still like the Bucs...Buccaneers.

Colts/Patriots - Tate returns a kickoff in this one to clinch it...Patriots.

Giants/Eagles - on a short week, the Eagles keep cranking that...Eagles.

Broncos/Chargers - Chargers at home all the way...Chargers.

• http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/chads-rant1.mp3?dl=1

Can't seem to embed this but it's funny as hell.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/chads-rant1.mp3?dl=1

this echo's the voice in every redskins fan's head. i felt like puking last monday

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    thanks for posting that clip, shit was so hilarious I passed it around pretty heavily.

all due respect to Redskins fans, my Eagles fan buddy got the biggest laugh out of it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This Steelers game is COMICAL... a flag on every play. Fuck the NFL.

:shitty:

• THE JETS... looking like a team of destiny right about now.

THE BENGALS... up 28-7, now losing 49-31... they were already, but now officially :shitty:

• Randy Moss with no catches, Vince Young exiting stage left in the 3rd Quarter, Rusty Smith looking mighty rusty, and not an offensive touchdown in sight?!

HAIL VICTORY!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Eagles/Giants 4th quarter = :face_melt:

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/chads-rant1.mp3?dl=1

wow... this is funny as hell... "YOU SUCK WASHINGTON REDSKINS"

mannybolone said:
    Eagles/Giants 4th quarter = :face_melt:

Great Game.

Especially with the last few weeks of SNF being one-sided blow-outs.

Phill With 2 Ls said:
    THE JETS... looking like a team of destiny right about now.

I hate to say it, but this has SUPER BOWL DESTINY written all over it. It reminds me of the '08 Steelers on how they played a lot of close games and were able to get shit done.

With that being said, no AFC team is untouchable right now. Watch out for the Ravens. No one is giving them their due. All their losses have been down to the wire close games... and I still think they are the best team right now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    THE JETS... looking like a team of destiny right about now.

I hate to say it, but this has SUPER BOWL DESTINY written all over it. It reminds me of the '08 Steelers on how they played a lot of close games and were able to get shit done.

With that being said, no AFC team is untouchable right now. Watch out for the Ravens. No one is giving them their due. All their losses have been down to the wire close games... and I still think they are the best team right now.

The Pats and Atlanta are both 8-2 as well. And I'll take Brady and even Ryan over Sanchez in the playoffs.

• Eli slide fail

Garcia_Vega said:
    Eli slide fail

Yeah. Both Manning boys had late game comeback WTF moments yesterday.

Garcia_Vega said:
    Eli slide fail

Saying though; that was just the cherry on top of a turnover sundae/y, following that nutty sequence where Manning tosses up an interception which is then coughed up as a fumble, thus netting the Giants a gain of 1 yard.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Man, getting ready for Turkey Day and these games all look like garbage. Granted at least two of three looked like solid paper matchups at the beginning of the season, but not now.

Patriots at LIONS
    Saints at COWBOYS
    Bengals at JETS

No big surprise but Childress = out!

Maybe the Vikings will now enjoy a Cowboys-like turnaround (albeit a 2 game "turnaround" isn't much to crow about)

• mannybolone said:
    No big surprise but Childress = out!

That is a total "well if it worked for the Cowboys," type move. I think a lot of the blame for that team should fall on Favre's shoulders.

And we'll see how much the Cowboys have really improved when they face the Saints on Thursday. Now that Brees is starting to get hot, we'll see if they torch the Dallas secondary, and if Kitna can keep up in a shootout.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Cowboys will come back to earth.....but Hank Hill was the problem...the players didn't respect him or want to play for him.....I won't be shocked if it lasts one more week and they beat the Saints.......I'll be at the game with my Cowboys Paper Bag to wear though just in case it's a blow-out.

Last December 19th was the worst day of the season for the Cowboys when they beat the undefeated Saints and saved Hank Hill's job.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's odd than both the Cowboys and Mavericks have owners that are always seemingly sitting over their coach's shoulders. Who would ever want to work in that environment other than people like Wade Phillips who generally seem subservient?

Among first-place teams, only the Falcons, Jets and, yes, the Chicago Bears are undefeated within their division.

• srs question: any of you fools ever felt like your team had utterly and completely lost the will to win? that's how this niners fan in feeling this week. what do you do?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    srs question: any of you fools ever felt like your team had utterly and completely lost the will to win? that's how this niners fan in feeling this week. what do you do?

Root for other teams you dislike to lose.

• Steve Johnson is a BEAST... where the f**k did HE come from??

I can't figure out the Bears... how are they 7-3?? I'm done saying that they stink, at this point I guess they must not stink. Are they actually good??? I'm mystified

Ditto the Jaguars X 1000... shoot me now if these muthaf**kas make the playoffs

Vince Young is a DICK... I'm so disappointed in this dumbass. I believe he has the talent to do just as good as Vick is doing right now if he would only grow the f**k up

As an Eagles fan, the team I worry the most about in the NFC is the Saints. Still, I'm envisioning the NFC Championship game in Hotlanta with Vick leading the Eagles to victory... some straight up storybook sh*t

All in all, this is a fun ass season... can't remember ever being this late into it without a clear cut frontrunner in either conference. It's wide open like a muthaf**ka

Although I like to hear his analysis, I am REALLY tired of seeing Brian Baldinger's grotesque pinky finger, which he loves to wave in the camera every time he's on tv

• Week 11 Results:

PRESIDENT: Raj killed us all calling 14 out of the 16 games correctly

VICE PRESIDENTS: Phill and Bob, both calling 12 out of 16

SENATORS: Edpowers and HarveyCanal both coming in 11 out of 15, missing the Thursday night call

SECRETARY OF FAIL: I came in last at 9 out of 15 taking gambles on the Giants, Colts, Rams, Niners, Browns, and Rams.

Lets do it again this week. Picks for Thanksgiving games by Thursday 11am plaese.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Pats over Lions: lock

Saints over Cowboys: near lock

Jets over Bengals: hate to say it, but near lock

Vikings over Redskins: Who sucks more? It???s a toss up. I think the Skins will suck just a bit more on this particular given Sunday.

Steelers over Buffalo: near lock

Titans over Texans: The Chris Johnson/Randy Moss effect will manifest.

Giants over Jags: Eli pulls it back together.

Browns over Panthers: near lock

Ravens over Bucks: near lock

Eagles over Bears: Vick gets it done.

Falcons over the Pack: Matt Ryan is quietly becoming a top tier QB.

Dolphins over Raiders: Meh. Pick ???em. I???ll take Miami.

Seahawks over Chiefs: Why not?

Broncos over Rams: I don???t like the Rams. That???s why.

Colts over Bolts: Peyton is pissed and he???ll play like it.

49ers over Cards: The 49ers suck. But the Cards defense gave me -1 fantasy points last week, so it appears they suck even more.

HOLLEUR!