The 2010 NFL Thread

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
NFC WEST: The Dollar bin division
It's no longer a defensive league so that eliminates SF.
Sea has a male cheerleader coaching the team.
Ariz lost 3 of their 4 best players
Stl wears ugly uniforms

flip a coin

AFC WEST: zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz
It makes perfect sense Jamarcas was "off that lean"

San Diego lost their only defensive star, Cromartie, but who needs defense when you play Oak,KC and Denver 6 times .

NFC SOUTH:
The unexpected always happens in this division.......so, i'll take Tampa Bay

b/w

Madden Curse in N.O

AFC SOUTH:

Houston is the most balanced squad in The NFL.....RB is the big question mark with this team, but it's a passing league now

Houston will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl .....yea, i said it.

NFC NORTH
Green Bay's offense is good enough to win the divsion, but unless they fix the D-Line it's as far as they'll get.

Minnesota doesn't have big enough balls to be a serious contender

AFC NORTH
Carson Palmer is the most overrated QB in the NFL, however, a corpse could win this division with all the weapons he has to work with.....The Bengals are the most talented team in the league on both sides of the ball.....Ravens and Steelers are fading fast

NFC EAST
Dallas has a weak O-Line and a QB who doesn't handle pressure well......NAGL.......but they should be ok as long as Miles Austin keeps that Kardashian pussy around.

NYG should do well if they stay healthy and avoid giving up big plays

Washington will be up and down....old coach,old players

Kevin Kolb is nice but Mike will end up starting before the year is over.......

AFC EAST
Too much Hollywood in New York......Jets were a weak offense and they lost their best offensive player....Holmes is nice but they dont have a true#1 receiver......Cromartie was the best off-season pick up by any team......but not enough to win the division

Miami solved their biggest issues, WR and LB.......but it's still New England's division

Thank God Football is back !!

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    was gonna set this off myself last night and I forgot; thanks ed for doing this.

niners go 9-7 and with any luck 10-6. I pray that Gore stays healthy and that Crabtree consistently puts up the type of numbers he did during the limited number of games he played last season.

edpowers said:

Thank God Football is back !!

• AFC South

Texans win. Why? I wanted a change of pace. Something about the way Indy went out just doesn't feel right going into this year. Call it Pats/SB42 effect. Hell, Indy could finish 3rd behind Tennessee.

AFC North

Ravens. Done. Seriously don't agree with Ed Powers on this- solid team defense (not so much b/c of RayRay and Ed, whose best days are in the past) and a REAL offense with the addition of Boldin. Between he and Rice, who is one of my five favorite players to watch in the NFL, they could go to the Big Game.

IMO, Palmer isn't really rated at this point. Dude's accuracy is just a straight up issue by now. Plus, I'm not buying his, "weapons," with the addition of TO. And, btw, I think Ochocinco IS worth the hype- dude plays hard, takes hits, and plays fearlessly. Just b/c he clowns doesn't change that. BUT, between he and TO this team will lead the league in drops.

AFC West

Chargers. Good team who will win by default. Broncos end up in last place. Chiefs go 8-8. Their running game is gonna be off the chain, and will really open up Cassel.

AFC East

Can't call it. 10-6 will be the record that wins it, but these guys have a rough schedule. First, the 3 Teams who could win will just kill each other. Plus, AFC/NFC North means they've got Minny, GB, Cincy, Balt, Pitt- all LEGIT teams- to wrassle with.

Not sold on everybody in NYJ land getting along with each other, nor am I sold on the QB. Pats have the best coach and QB in the division, and by the far the most inexperienced defense. Dolphins have QB questions... Can't pick, but I'll go Pats with a gun to my head. It's a Quarterback league.

Also, Buffalo might be the worst team in the NFL.

NFC East

Wide open as well... G-men getting a new D-Coord is huge, and most necessary. Romo still strikes me as Romo. And, what can Kolb do?

I'll take Dallas, but I think the G-Men have a say.

NFC North

Green Bay. Almost picked as confidently as I picked Baltimore in the AFC. I think they've got some MEN on defense, and Rogers and the offense put it together for a whole year. This is one of those annual "sexy," picks I agree with 100%, and totally understand.

Minnesota wins a wildcard. Chicago implodes, a la the Cubs, to much hand wringing. Detroit wins 5 games.

NFC South

Atlanta. Default pick. Good QB coming into his own. Good offense. Saints hangover. Other two teams suck.

Speaking of painful hangovers... where did that Payton Vicodin story disappear to? I feel like that became a conspiracy or some such.

NFC West

49ers, who I think could actually do some playoff damage if they have a QB who shows up. As for the rest of the division... ah, who cares. Fuck 'em all.

Let's hope this season is great... and isn't the last one for another couple years. Labor issues are so-fucking-real right now.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    AFC East: Also not buying the Jets hype. Sanchez is a herb and Rex is a cornball. Revis drama is going to hurt the team, but if he makes it, most Jets games will finish with a 9-6 score. Pats and Fins duke it out for the crown.

AFC North: For me, the division to watch this year. I like the Ravens a lot but Cincy has been building well in the last three years. Cincy has a good, young defense, and I'm still a believer that defense wins championships. The Steelers are down but not out, apart from the Ben drama, I think Tomlinson is a good coach/motivator, they could sneak in.

AFC South: This division has the toughest schedule in the league, hands down. I agree that Colts dominance is over, but Houston is going to have to really shine to take them on. I'm not buying the Titans coming strong, shit was so up and down last year after such a nice '08. But they'll do some damage along with the Jags.

AFC West: Bolts by default, I think the Broncos are done. Chiefs on the come-up.

NFC East: You guys bring a tear to my eye being so nice to the Giants, but with a still sketchy secondary, no great recievers, aging running back and o-line, new defensive coordinator, the most hot and cold QB in the NFL, and an unhappy Osi, I'll be happy with a 8-8 season. Since the Giants can't win the division, nobody is going to win it, first time for everything.

NFC North: Old Man Football will play, there is no doubt in my mind. Vikings win the division again and if they don't lose pathetically in the playoffs they win the Super Bowl. Lovie Smith is done in Chicago after this season. I feel like Rodgers is going to suprise people this year too.

NFC South: I'm picking the Saints but the Falcons are going to give them a run for their money. The Panthers will be in the running and Tampa will be in the cellar all year.

NFC West: Its between SF and Seattle. The Cards are done, can't believe that team got dismantled so fast. The Lambs are the worst team in the NFL.

• You showin your ass by claiming 'madden curse' and 'SB hangover' for my World Champs.

Read up on your read-ups.

The Saints benefitted greatly from the labor strife issues and brought back LOTS of good, young players on one year deals. These dudes will be hungry. We did not lose a player or coach of ANY signifigance. Brees and Payton is the strongest coach/QB combo in the league right now, which is what DOES win in this league.

What was the only team to hold Peyton Manning under 20 points last year? It wasn't the Jets......

Saints vs. some team that is going to lose in Super Bowl 45.

I think it's funny someone thinks Kubiak/Schaub is going to the Super Bowl. Actually what it tells me is that person is trying to "pick this year's Saints" and H-tahn would definitely seemingly fit that role, but I don't see the greatness there.

In the AFC I like Pats, Dolphins, Ravens.

I think the Raiders will finish second in the AFC West.

Cowboys and Viqueens are top contenders for Saints in the NFC, pending verification of Favre's return. Still, I'm taking the Skins to win the NFC East.

Wouldn't really be surprised to see a Super Bowl rematch this year at all.

Glen Coffee quits WTF. injured starting ctr, injured LB....Niners are wasting no time pissing me off....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Division Champs
    NFC West-49ers
    NFC North-Packers
    NFC South-Falcons
    NFC East-Cowboys

AFC West-Chargers
    AFC North-Bengals
    AFC South-Texans
    AFC East-Dolphins

Conference Champs
    NFC-Packers
    AFC-Dolphins

SB Champs
    Dolphins (I bet Ed agrees)

Westbrook going to San Francisco, guy needs to hang it up though, too many concussions.

Old Man Football is in Minnesota today, announcement imminent, gasp, shock.

Garcia_Vega said:
    Westbrook going to San Francisco, guy needs to hang it up though, too many concussions.

he could be a good 2nd or 3rd for us; if we throw him some screen passes he should put up some numbers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hey Rootless, any chance that Alex Smith is going to be worth a damn this season? He's got some nice weapons and y'all are primed to take the division, but I'm still eh on the idea of Smith getting the job done. What's your more connected take?

• Options
    The bitch is back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5470904

Would hoping for a plane crash be going too far?

rootlesscosmo said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

he could be a good 2nd or 3rd for us; if we throw him some screen passes he should put up some numbers.

No doubt, I'm not saying he's washed up, he's just on his way to permanent brain damage amongst other things. Although NFC West doesn't have close to as many heavy hitters as the NFC East ;)

• Garcia_Vega said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Garcia_Vega said:

No doubt, I'm not saying he's washed up, he's just on his way to permanent brain damage amongst other things. Although NFC West doesn't have close to as many heavy hitters as the NFC East ;)

I'm concerned for Westbrook also, considering he had 2 back-to-back concussions last season. But I think he could easily play an entire season concussion-free in the NFC West. Plus, he would have a field day running circles around the Rams. I think the 49ers win this Division, but I'm not counting out Arizona just yet. Leinart did make Cardinals fans feel nervous in the first preseason game, but after being under the tutelage of Kurt Warner for 2 seasons, I think he's ready to take the Cardinals somewhere. Hopefully for them, into the postseason.

Cardinals lost way more than just Warner.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Cardinals lost way more than just Warner.

True, but I still think that they can compete for the NFC West with San Francisco, although San Fran swept the series last season. I won't be shocked if they go 9-7 and get in with a Wild Card.

HarveyCanal said:
    Hey Rootless, any chance that Alex Smith is going to be worth a damn this season? He's got some nice weapons and y'all are primed to take the division, but I'm still eh on the idea of Smith getting the job done. What's your more connected take?

the line on Smith is that he's too "intellectual" or "overthinks" the plays or whatever. but really it's just that he's inconsistent.

shotgun-wise he does alright. but he needs to develop as a drop-back passer, which is what Jimmy Raye has apparently been trying to do with him. and it's good that the Raye-Smith team is intact going into this next season.

what can I say he's not really a champion, but given the division I think he should be able to get us into the playoffs (with some help, obviously).

we'll sweep the cards again.

rootlesscosmo said:
    we'll sweep the cards again.

Are y'all gonna take the opener in Seattle is the more pressing question?

i think we'll split them, so yeah the first game we prolly have a better shot. by wk 14 who knows who will be sidelined.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    NFC east is gonna be CRAZY this year... Cowboys may not win it

Packers > Vikings

Congrats to Saints fans for 2009... in 2010 they do NOT make the playoffs

Leinart proves he is officially a bust this season

49ers take the NFC west, probably not much competition

Rams continue to suck badly, probably even worse than last year

Bills will suck even worse than the Rams

Bucs actually won't be so terrible this year... I think they might shock some people

I'm sorry edpowers but I don't see why so many people are picking the Dolphins in the AFC east.... as much as some people hate Rex Ryan, the truth is that the AFC east (and maybe the whole AFC) belongs to the Jets

I REALLY like the Ravens this year, but I'm liking the Bengals, too... although IMO Flacco > Palmer

AFC south is always a tough one to call... I always expect the Colts to fall off and the Texans to come up (ALL the way up) but it never happens. So I'm ridin' with the Titans. I BELIEVE IN VINCE YOUNG

I expect the Lions and the Chiefs to rise significantly this year (if Cassel can play, Chiefs in the SB by 2012 or 2013)

I initially thought Tim Tebow = fraud... i now feel strongly that time will reveal that he is indeed Jesus Christ

No man alive can guard Desean Jackson... not even Revis

Colts better PRAY that P. Manning never gets hurt... their backup QB is the worst QB I have ever seen, and I've seen Mike McMahon and Doug Peterson here in Philly

I'll have more right before the real games start (and BTW, this talk about an 18 game schedule is INSANE and shows how cold and greedy most of these slimeball owners are :real_headz:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I Had Sex With The Lyn Christopher Record said:

I'll have more right before the real games start (and BTW, this talk about an 18 game schedule is INSANE and shows how cold and greedy most of these slimeball owners are :real_headz:

especially since it's packaged with a pay cut.

• With the NFC East probably the most competitive division this year, I wouldn't be surprised if 3 teams end up in the playoffs. More or less every other division has a clear-cut winner or a team that is most likely to win, but this is the one division in which there will probably be competition all the way to the end of the season.

Alright people, here are your playoff teams...

Saints
    Falcons
    49ers
    Packers
    Vikings
    Cowboys

Colts
    Jets
    Patriots
    Ravens
    Bengals
    Chargers

Teams that could surpise and somehow slip in: Bears and Raiders.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

especially since it's packaged with a pay cut.

Even worse is the talk of adding some Euro franchises

I am thinking of mounting a mission to London October 31 for Broncos-Niners; already got a few Niners fans on board.

Denver/SF/London strutteurs: Holler!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I REALLY like the Ravens this year, but I'm liking the Bengals, too... although IMO Flacco > Palmer

The Ravens look really good (and as a Steelers fan, it pains me to say that), but the Bengals are gonna implode something awful. When the shit starts to fall apart, there's no way Carson Palmer keeps that team together.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Alright people, here are your playoff teams...

Saints
    Falcons
    49ers
    Packers
    Vikings
    Cowboys

Colts
    Jets
    Patriots
    Ravens
    Bengals
    Chargers

Nice picks, bro... but almost the same as last year. It NEVER works out like that in this era of NFL football. Usually it's about 6 teams that make it back plus 6 new teams to the postseason, give or take a team. Some of those favorites are gonna fall badly, probably due to injury. Say a prayer for Breesus, Harvey.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The Jets finish 3rd

49ers defense is scary

Bradford is the truth.... he will get beat to hell this year.

i hope Green Bay v New England is on the schedule

The Madden Curse is real

Bret Favre is White.

Albert Haynesworth is soft

Houston looks likely to drop a turd

Baltimore D is not the same Baltimore D......Baltimore O is average

Jermichael Finley

Jamarcas Russell > Matt Leinert

Seattle needs a QB

Minnesota will miss Chester Taylor .....more than Sidney Rice

• It may be preseason, but Green Bay is scaring me to death. Thankfully my Skins play them near the beginning of the season. I'd hate for us to meet them in the 2nd half as they try to make that last push for a top spot in the playoffs.

I feel that the infrastructure called the Jets is bound to collapse around Week 10.

Brett Favre. Why couldn't you make it easy for yourself like Kurt?! Not Cobain.

Cowboys, as they have been for seasons upon seasons, are highly overrated. Yes, they have a great receiving core. They have a solid running game. Their defense is Top 5 in the league. But with the thinness they have at offensive line, I wonder how Romo will get the ball to those receivers.

Houston is that team that I feel if they actually make the playoffs they'll surprise some folks. They just need to work on getting there first.

The NFC West was given to San Francisco in a picnic basket. But Seattle still could surprise some folks.

Sam Bradford is going to make Rams fans proud for years to come.

The Colts. They're still the favorite in their division, but I feel as if their time in the sun is about to show signs of setting.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    How does this foo stay cool and aerodynamic with hair like this?!

• Options
    The_Non said:
    How does this foo stay cool and aerodynamic with hair like this?!

He has insurance.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2010/08/troy-polamalu-hair-insured-for-1-million.html