The 2010 NFL Thread

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    To quote Ta-Nehisi Coates:

"Michael Vick's dog-fighting history has been debated ad nauseum--here and elsewhere. No minds are being changed. No one is being enlightened.

Every thread about his football performance can't descend into yet another re-evaluation of his crimes. It's incredibly boring and tedious."

Yes, but creaming in our pants over Vick becoming the first quarterback to throw for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns and run for more than 50 and 2 touchdowns in a single game, which is indeed great but hardly the caliber of "record breaking" that people keep quoting since Monday night, is a bit too much to be giving up to anyone, let alone a convictd felon.

Plus, the Eagles still won't make the Super Bowl.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    edpowers said:
    Michael Vick is the MVP......He's pretty much the runaway MVP.......The Eagles are undefeated when dude QBs an entire game vs a legit schedule with a shitty defense.....The NFL jumped on public relations early....as they should.

Legit schedule? They have one impressive win with Vick, and that's against the Colts. They beat the Falcons with Kolb.

I'm not blown away by an MVP candidate who has barely played half the season. Not when Manning and Brady and Rivers and Roddy White are out there.

And this "when dude QBs an entire game" is funny, funny stuff, since Vick took over on the SECOND SERIES against Green Bay and the Eagles lost. When you have to resort to silly qualifications to make a case for a part-time player then you're not making a great case.

Let's see him stay healthy for a few more games and keep producing against teams more impressive than the Racialslurs before we get crazy. I think there's a 50% chance he doesn't make it out of this week's game against the Giants without getting his ass broken in half Romo-style.

Jon Kitna just torched the Giants w/o an offensive line.

Total fluke of a game. The Giants came in laughing, thinking the Cowboys were just going to roll over like they'd been doing all season. The Giants have knocked 4 or 5 QBs out of games already this year.

• Even as a Giants fan I have to disagree that it was a fluke game. The Giants never take a divisional game lightly, especially when staying alone at the top the division is on the line. I will say though that the Dallas offensive line played their game of the season, they effectivly took out our defensive ends, and their game plan took away our pass rush. They were stacking TE's on one side of the scrimmage, which confused our linebackers and secondary, they hadn't done that before for some reason. Giants didn't make proper adjustments during the game. I'll give the Cowboys credit for playing the best they've played on Sunday all season.

The Cowboys got a new coaching staff which put together a better game plan, and we had to fight them first. I think it sucks that we had to play Dallas twice, and the Eagles and Redskins played twice in the same weeks. The schedule should've been mixed up better.

Remember this guy?

James Stewart: He rushed for 6 touchdowns in a single game back in '97. That's a bigger accomplishment than what Vick did the other night. Yet hardly a panty became drenched with stanberry juice over it.

Shit, just 3 weeks ago David Garrard had a game against the Cowboys that was at least close to comparable to what Vick did against the Redskins. And Philip Rivers has probably had at least 3 games this season in the same ballpark.

Again, great game by Vick...but I just don't get the worship that has gone along with it.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Again, great game by Vick...but I just don't get the worship that has gone along with it.

Please, if it was Vince Young who had done the same thing you'd be shouting MVP from the rooftops. Its just since Vick is an ex-Falcon you can't stand that he's doing well ;)

Garcia_Vega said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Please, if it was Vince Young who had done the same thing you'd be shouting MVP from the rooftops. Its just since Vick is an ex-Falcon you can't stand that he's doing well ;)

Funny on both counts, but no.

In fact, my mid-season MVP goes to: Roddy White.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Remember this guy?

James Stewart: He rushed for 6 touchdowns in a single game back in '97.

It was 5, not 6, and I don't think that really compares to what Vick did - like him or not.

Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Remember this guy?

It was 5, not 6, and I don't think that really compares to what Vick did - like him or not.

You're right, it was only 5, my mistake. But he became only the 4th player ever to do so.

How many qb's this season alone have thrown for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns in a game? Including Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Running for an additional 80 yards and 2 td's is indeed remarkable.

But MVP?

Y'all might as well just put up posters of him and Lebron James making out.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    NOT jumping on the Mike Vick Power just yet.... The Giants game will be a true test.
    Attached files

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Remember this guy?

James Stewart: He rushed for 6 touchdowns in a single game back in '97. That's a bigger accomplishment than what Vick did the other night. Yet hardly a panty became drenched with stanberry juice over it.

Shit, just 3 weeks ago David Garrard had a game against the Cowboys that was at least close to comparable to what Vick did against the Redskins. And Philip Rivers has probably had at least 3 games this season in the same ballpark.

I get the worship--it's tied to the whole "Vick's redepmtion!" angle--but I agree that it's overblown. Great game? Absolutely. But motherfuckers have busted so many nuts over it that they're starting to pull knee cartilage.

I'm saying though, why do they want Vick redeemed so badly?

I'm not even really mad at dude and have always been somewhat of a fan, despite him consistently killing my Saints as a Falcon...and I'll be the first to say he kicked major ass the other night.

But again, why do they even want to play the redemption card with this dude?

Say he came out of jail and became the next Marlin Perkins, as in he dedicated his life to the animal kingdom...that would be redemption.

Being a thug successful at playing a thug game...yep, the sky is still blue too.

In fact, Peyton Hillis > Michael Vick as well in the MVP category.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Remember this guy?

You're right, it was only 5, my mistake. But he became only the 4th player ever to do so.

How many qb's this season alone have thrown for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns in a game? Including Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Running for an additional 80 yards and 2 td's is indeed remarkable.

But MVP?

Y'all might as well just put up posters of him and Lebron James making out.

Yeah, it's too soon, especially because he hasn't played the whole year.

It's too soon to anoint anybody MVP yet, but the hype machine is voracious.

• Horseleech said:

It's too soon to anoint anybody MVP yet, but the hype machine is voracious.

Yup, but lets keep it going.

What about Darren McFadden? He's averaging 108 yards per game!

• i'm definitely more excited about Vick than ive been about donovan in a looong time. i got bored with poor clock management, fifteen yard grounders and a complete neglect of the running game he used to have. im still not n andy reid fan at all, but its nice to see vick redeem himself, stay out of trouble and score a lot of points. its a little early to call write him in as mvp, but hes definitely meant a lot to the team. we can have a deeper discussion if the birds spank the giants

• i think what a lot of people are overlooking in the vick situation is the fact that stats are only half the story.....dude was out of the game completely for 2 years...years that could be considered the prime of an athlete's career...and returned as good if not BETTER than before(not to mention the whole 'who wants to sign a rusty dog killer to their roster?' stuff)...add to that the obvious controversy and vilification that surrounds him personally( and could've taken a toll on anyone mentally, vince young anyone?) and that makes what he did that much more impressive to me....the fact that a large group of people dislike you and what you do for a living could affect many people in a negative way....i'm glad to see that is not the case here....while he is nothing more than simply a gifted athlete, its good to see someone pay for their crime, return from the lowest low and reach this level..even if it does all end here and even if many still dont like it....

Ted Williams was still pretty good at baseball after serving in a combat capacity during the Korean War.

Oh no, Michael Vick went to jail for a minute.

I mean, I'm all for ex-cons getting back on their feet after serving their time.

But you're telling me that society at large suddenly gives a fuck?

I'm just not buying it at all.

Great game, successful come-back...leave it at that please.

• harvey, society at large gives a fuck about exciting football, probably more than any talk of rehabilitation and recidivism and incarceration rates and redemption. vick is providing some great fucking football plus theres a good background story.

• harvey, society at large gives a fuck about exciting football, probably more than any talk of rehabilitation and recidivism and incarceration rates and redemption. vick is providing some great fucking football plus theres a good background story.

• Options
    Digger_Phelps_II said:
    i think what a lot of people are overlooking in the vick situation is the fact that stats are only half the story.....dude was out of the game completely for 2 years...years that could be considered the prime of an athlete's career...and returned as good if not BETTER than before(not to mention the whole 'who wants to sign a rusty dog killer to their roster?' stuff)...add to that the obvious controversy and vilification that surrounds him personally( and could've taken a toll on anyone mentally, vince young anyone?) and that makes what he did that much more impressive to me....the fact that a large group of people dislike you and what you do for a living could affect many people in a negative way....i'm glad to see that is not the case here....while he is nothing more than simply a gifted athlete, its good to see someone pay for their crime, return from the lowest low and reach this level..even if it does all end here and even if many still dont like it....

Let's be serious about this "vilification" nonsense. Vick is surrounded by friends who kiss his ass every single moment of every single day. You make it sound like his house is surrounded by PETA members with torches and pitchforks every single night. And his "lowest of the low" point still saw him owning houses and cars worth more than most people will ever be worth. He's making $5 million this year, if I remember correctly, and if he stays healthy he'll be signing a contract in the high 8 figure/low 9 figure range in the off season.

People are pulling this "redemption" bullshit out about Tiger Woods now, too. Woods himself is even doing it, and it sounds silly to me. And Woods never even murdered anything.

I'll reserve my respect for someone like Muhammad Ali, who lost a chunk of his career at his peak for non-despicable reasons and came all the way back and then some. This instant redemption crap with Vick is just marketing schtick.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Ted Williams was still pretty good at baseball after serving in a combat capacity during the Korean War.

Ted missed a few years during WW2, also. So many players did, and it cost a few of them what would probably have been HOF careers.

I wonder how Ron LeFlore is doing these days.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I'm saying though, why do they want Vick redeemed so badly?

I don't know who *wants* Vick redeemed besides 1) current Eagles fans and 2) Vick's fans from before the dog-fighting scandal who didn't the dog-fighting was that big a deal.

I think the *interest* in "Vick's redemption" isn't necessarily specific to him so much as it is the American love affair with redemption tales in general. It speaks to the ideals of competitive individualism and the American Dream - that you can be down and out (as down and out as Vick ever was considering that he wasn't exactly broke and homeless throughout all this) and still fight your way back to the top.

I mean, dude, Sylvester Stallone's whole career was built from redemptive characters like Rocky and Rambo. Ain't no mystery that Vick's story is captivating for some (and stomach turning for others). On that note, this LA Times piece was pretty good at getting at some of this in a way that isn't annoyingly polemical: http://lat.ms/bfnndn

Seriously, the only thing better than watching someone become a champion through sheer excellence is if they also have to fight through adversity to get there. Vick just happens to be the current flavor-of-the-month who fulfills that collective desire.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    harvey, society at large gives a fuck about exciting football, probably more than any talk of rehabilitation and recidivism and incarceration rates and redemption. vick is providing some great fucking football plus theres a good background story.

Uh, isn't the "good background story" basically the "talk of rehabilitation and redemption"?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

In fact, Peyton Hillis > Michael Vick as well in the MVP category.

FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Enough Vicktalk, plaese:

Week 11 predictions:

Chicago > Miami: Miami can't run on Chi-town and has a third string er at QB who can't win as a starter
    Pittsburgh > Oakland: RunDMC will not Run on PGH. Jason Campbell is NOT Tom Brady. Steelers EASY win.
    Jacksonville > Cleveland Gonna be a shootout, but Jags will prevail after that emotional win last week.
    Washington > Tennessee McNabb will rebound... I don't like the Titans QB situation
    NY Jets > Houston Tempted for an upset special with this one but the Houston pass D - STINKS! Big Day for the Jets WRs
    Baltimore > Carolina This will get UGLY.
    Green Bay > Minnesota I like Green Bay and the way they have prevailed through the injuries... they will prevail and go on a late season run to the Super Bowl
    Kansas City > Arizona KC will run the ball down their throats.
    Dallas > Detroit repeat for Dallas last week. They play with emotion.
    Buffalo > Cincinnati Two in a row for the Bills
    New Orleans > Seattle Breesus is Back!
    San Francisco > Tampa Bay Troy Smith is playing lights out
    St. Louis > Atlanta Upset Special. Bradford will have a big passing day. Still NOT a believer in the Dirty Birds.
    New England > Indianapolis I'm rooting for the Colts, but not a believer in their defense. Pats get it done.
    Philadelphia > NY Giants Eagles are scary right now.
    San Diego > Denver SD is good against the pass and that's all Denva does.

• mannybolone said:
    tripledouble said:
    harvey, society at large gives a fuck about exciting football, probably more than any talk of rehabilitation and recidivism and incarceration rates and redemption. vick is providing some great fucking football plus theres a good background story.

Uh, isn't the "good background story" basically the "talk of rehabilitation and redemption"?

yes, and its just a plus. if he was sill the third stringer in simply for wildcat formation twice a game, the press would be on some low murmur by now. hes gettng a lot of press now cause hes been lighting it up first and foremost. the rest is window dressing. take out his whole dog mess and people would still be yapping about how michael vick finally put all the pieces together and fulfilled his promise.

• Drew Magary on Deadspin has the following for MoeLarryDesperado...

I've seen on any number of message boards retard fans who had this to say about Vick taking apart the Redskins last week: "Well, I'd never want him on MY team. I'd be ashamed if he were my quarterback." If you find someone who says this in person, you walk up to them and you rub your scrotum against them. I fucking hate uppity sports fans who have some kind of imaginary, subjective criteria for what kind of athlete they deem acceptable for their team and which they don't. It's bullshit. BULLSHIT. If you're into sports because you want athletes to be good people, stop watching fucking sports. Because no team at no time will be 100% stocked with perfect, moral citizens of the universe. You just happen to know more about Mike Vick's transgressions than you do most any other athlete's. If you're a Giants fan and you say you'd never have Vick on your team, you have no fucking clue if there's some prick already ON the Giants who is an even worse person than Vick, someone who hasn't at all paid for his sins. Mario Manningham could rape goats. I don't know. How the fuck would I know?

Anyone who applies this sort of ethical standard to pro sports is a retard. It's professional sports. It's not even some cockamamie "amateur" enterprise like the NCAA or the Olympics, which are both terminally fucked because of the same kind of hypocrisy. I don't root for players on my team to stay faithful to their wives and take cancer babies to the State Fair. I root for them to do a job. Anything outside of that purview is pointless and unrealistic. It's a transparent exercise in cheap self-esteem boosting. It's basically a way of deluding yourself into thinking you're somehow a good person by saying you'll never root for Vick, or that your team would NEVER dare employ such a horrible monster on its squad. It's all a load of shit. If Vick were on my team right now, I'd buy 800 pieces of Vick memorabilia, even the commemorative #7 Valtrex travel pack. The fuck do I care? He's destroying the world right now. I don't give a shit if he took a dog and chopped its dick off with a pizza cutter. I already know he's a moron who's liable to do something idiotic at any second. But ANY player on the squad could also be that way. I don't know them. I CAN'T know them. And to assume otherwise makes you a swollen dickhole.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Week 11 predictions:

Oakland > Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh owes me this......they also play down to the level of their competition..........I see Pittsburgh scoring easy on the first drive...then taking their foot off the gas....Oakland sneaks in

Jacksonville > Cleveland Jacksonville is not a good team....Cleveland isn't either......Mangini wins big games...loses games like this.

Washington > Tennessee Old Man pride kicks in.....Tenn gets shoved around

Houston > NYJ You have to throw the ball to beat Houston....still not convinced Sanchez can do it and if Schotenheimer can coordinate it.

Baltimore > Carolina Baltimore loves to pick on hopeless teams...over by halftime

Green Bay > Minnesota Minnesota's D-Line is old and finished....Rodgers with all day to pass is giving me second thoughts about starting Vick as fantasy QB this week.....Vikings hang for 3 qtrs

Kansas City > Arizona KC

Detroit > Dallas not sure why this is considered an upset

Cincinnati > Buffalo Finally a game where Marvin Lewis can get the running game he's been forcing all season going.....

New Orleans > Seattle Seattle is only good for one thing......beating Arizona

Josh Freeman > Troy Smith

Atlanta > STL The Rams are better than expected....Atlanta is better than The Rams

New England > Indianapolis Bill and Brady circled this game on the calendar

Philadelphia > NY Giants Turnovers and special teams game....Edge Philly

San Diego > Denver

• Options
    gareth said:
    Drew Magary on Deadspin has the following for MoeLarryDesperado...

I've seen on any number of message boards retard fans who had this to say about Vick taking apart the Redskins last week: "Well, I'd never want him on MY team. I'd be ashamed if he were my quarterback." If you find someone who says this in person, you walk up to them and you rub your scrotum against them. I fucking hate uppity sports fans who have some kind of imaginary, subjective criteria for what kind of athlete they deem acceptable for their team and which they don't. It's bullshit. BULLSHIT. If you're into sports because you want athletes to be good people, stop watching fucking sports. Because no team at no time will be 100% stocked with perfect, moral citizens of the universe. You just happen to know more about Mike Vick's transgressions than you do most any other athlete's. If you're a Giants fan and you say you'd never have Vick on your team, you have no fucking clue if there's some prick already ON the Giants who is an even worse person than Vick, someone who hasn't at all paid for his sins. Mario Manningham could rape goats. I don't know. How the fuck would I know?

Anyone who applies this sort of ethical standard to pro sports is a retard. It's professional sports. It's not even some cockamamie "amateur" enterprise like the NCAA or the Olympics, which are both terminally fucked because of the same kind of hypocrisy. I don't root for players on my team to stay faithful to their wives and take cancer babies to the State Fair. I root for them to do a job. Anything outside of that purview is pointless and unrealistic. It's a transparent exercise in cheap self-esteem boosting. It's basically a way of deluding yourself into thinking you're somehow a good person by saying you'll never root for Vick, or that your team would NEVER dare employ such a horrible monster on its squad. It's all a load of shit. If Vick were on my team right now, I'd buy 800 pieces of Vick memorabilia, even the commemorative #7 Valtrex travel pack. The fuck do I care? He's destroying the world right now. I don't give a shit if he took a dog and chopped its dick off with a pizza cutter. I already know he's a moron who's liable to do something idiotic at any second. But ANY player on the squad could also be that way. I don't know them. I CAN'T know them. And to assume otherwise makes you a swollen dickhole.

Yeah, because I care what some asshole from Deadspin has to say.

No one should have an opinion about anyone in any endeavor of life because, like, you never know, they might rape goats.

Gareth, maybe if you found out next week that Tom Brady goes to Thailand 3 times a year and has sex with 5 year olds you'd still keep his Fathead on your wall, but I promise you I would not. Maybe that earns you more Hipster Style Points than I'll ever have on the Deadspinmeter, but I could not give two shits either way.

And there's a difference between being a dickhead and doing what Vick did. Curt Schilling was and is a dickhead, but I had no problem rooting for him as a member of the "best Red Sox team ever assembled."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    gareth said:
    Drew Magary on Deadspin has the following for MoeLarryDesperado...

Yeah, because I care what some asshole from Deadspin has to say.

No one should have an opinion about anyone in any endeavor of life because, like, you never know, they might rape goats.

Gareth, maybe if you found out next week that Tom Brady goes to Thailand 3 times a year and has sex with 5 year olds you'd still keep his Fathead on your wall, but I promise you I would not. Maybe that earns you more Hipster Style Points than I'll ever have on the Deadspinmeter, but I could not give two shits either way.

And there's a difference between being a dickhead and doing what Vick did. Curt Schilling was and is a dickhead, but I had no problem rooting for him as a member of the "best Red Sox team ever assembled."

I'm not a big Michael Vick fan for a variety of reasons including that he plays for a rival of the team I root for.

But jeeez, the guy committed a crime, was found guilty and paid the penalty....and quite honestly I don't think he got off easy.

Even if he murdered a human, and did his time, I would not want to prevent him from making a living at his chosen profession of playing a friggin game.

Michael Vick > Jack Abbott

• Wow you guys really think the Redskins will beat the Titans on the road with short rest, no way in hell. And the Redskins saying they won't take the McNabb escape clause is total bs.

Rams over Falcons is my pick for big upset of the week.