World Cup 2010 - Bastards Speak Up 2.0!!!

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central

http://www.marca.com/deporte/futbol/mundial/sudafrica-2010/calendario-english.html

So we are exactly 1 month away. Is anyone going to South Africa?COME ON ENGLAND!!!Who's cheering for who? Strutters post your team or be soft.Which team will surprise?Which match up are you looking forward to??A strutters fav USA vs EnglandI'm extremely happy Portugal will play Brazil in the group stage.And since there is no Canadian team representin'I'll have to drop this song.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've got the Would Cup app. Pulling for the USA, of course. Hope my man from BITD, Frankie Hejduk, can get some minutes in his twilight.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

A strutters fav USA vs England

THis match-up will crack a rift in the very fabric of SoulStrut, and make or break either teams' campaign.

b/w

I would have said Spain, but now that Torres is not 100%

Ivory Coast[/b] or good 'ol USA[/b]

England won't make it past the second round

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    USA USA USA USA USA

Can't wait. I'm USA all the way, but if Maradona is at least partially medicated when he makes his final selections for Argentina, they should do some serious damage. Also I'm partial toward the Dutch.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Jolly good chaps[/b]

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

You really think Spain can't win it all without Torres? I mean, any team in the world would improve with Torres on the pitch, but David Villa is already the odds-on favorite to be the Tournament's leading scorer. Maybe they'll play 1 striker and take advantage of their embarassment of riches in midfield: Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Fabregas, Busquets, Cazorla, Mata, Navas, Pedro and Senna OH MY

Not to mention David Silva is in the mix

You also have to think about the fact that many of the Spanish players are teammates. According to Wikipedia, there are 7 Barca players on their roster, 5 Real players, 4 Villareal players, 3 Valencia players, and 2 Sevilla, Bilbao and Liverpool players. In fact, there are only 4 players on the team without a teammate from their club. This probably makes for some good chemistry, not to mention they can pick and choose from among best goalkeepers in the world (though Casillas will likely be the #1).

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

You really think Spain can't win it all without Torres? I mean, any team in the world would improve with Torres on the pitch, but David Villa is already the odds-on favorite to be the Tournament's leading scorer. Maybe they'll play 1 striker and take advantage of their embarassment of riches in midfield: Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Fabregas, Busquets, Cazorla, Mata, Navas, Pedro and Senna OH MY

Not to mention David Silva is in the mix

You also have to think about the fact that many of the Spanish players are teammates. According to Wikipedia, there are 7 Barca players on their roster, 5 Real players, 4 Villareal players, 3 Valencia players, and 2 Sevilla, Bilbao and Liverpool players. In fact, there are only 4 players on the team without a teammate from their club. This probably makes for some good chemistry, not to mention they can pick and choose from among best goalkeepers in the world (though Casillas will likely be the #1).

That was a joke; of course Spain will do thangs. Nice post, though!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    New Zealand, first time at a world cup since 82. I am excited but at the same time fully prepared to come away winless lol

• Australia baybee....

We have a HELLISH group draw, fuck it though, we lose we go to the beach and sink some piss.

• ......and for the record, fuck Italy.

• FIFA rankings......

1 Brazil
    2 Spain
    3 Portugal
    4 Netherlands
    5 Italy
    6 Germany
    7 Argentina
    8 England
    9 Croatia
    10 France
    11 Russia
    12 Greece
    13 Egypt
    14 USA
    15 Chile
    16 Serbia
    17 Mexico
    18 Uruguay
    19 Cameroon
    20 Nigeria
    20 Australia
    22 Norway
    23 Slovenia
    24 Israel
    25 Ukraine
    26 Switzerland
    27 C?te d'Ivoire
    28 Romania
    29 Czech Republic
    30 Paraguay
    31 Algeria
    32 Ghana
    33 Turkey
    34 Colombia
    35 Denmark
    36 Ecuador
    37 Sweden
    38 Slovakia
    39 Bulgaria
    40 Honduras
    41 Gabon
    42 Costa Rica
    43 Republic of Ireland
    44 Scotland
    45 Japan
    46 Latvia
    47 Korea Republic
    48 Lithuania
    49 Venezuela
    50 Finland
    51 Bosnia-Herzegovina
    52 Burkina Faso
    53 Peru
    54 Mali
    55 Tunisia
    56 Hungary
    57 Northern Ireland
    58 Poland
    59 Benin
    60 Iran
    61 FYR Macedonia
    62 Belgium
    63 Canada
    64 Austria
    65 Montenegro
    66 Saudi Arabia
    67 Bolivia
    68 Cyprus
    69 Bahrain
    70 Morocco
    71 Zambia
    71 El Salvador
    73 Togo
    74 Uganda
    75 Wales
    76 Panama
    77 Senegal
    78 New Zealand
    79 Jamaica
    80 Albania
    81 Belarus
    82 Malawi
    82 Iraq
    84 Moldova
    85 China
    85 Angola
    87 Haiti
    87 Guinea
    89 Mozambique
    90 South Africa
    91 Iceland
    91 Trinidad & Tobago
    93 Gambia
    94 Uzbekistan
    95 Qatar
    96 Kuwait
    97 Oman
    98 Syria
    99 Armenia
    100 United Arab Emirates
    101 Congo
    102 Libya
    103 Jordan
    104 Estonia
    105 Thailand
    106 Korea DPR
    107 Rwanda
    108 Tanzania
    109 Yemen
    110 Azerbaijan
    111 Congo DR
    112 Namibia
    113 Zimbabwe
    114 Kenya
    115 Guatemala
    116 Botswana
    117 Cape Verde Islands
    118 Vietnam
    119 Georgia Botswana
    120 Antigua and Barbuda
    121 Sudan
    122 Guyana
    123 Ethiopia
    124 Grenada
    125 Faroe Islands
    126 Cuba
    127 Singapore
    127 Luxembourg
    129 Kazakhstan
    130 Fiji
    131 Swaziland
    132 India
    133 Sierra Leone
    134 Bermuda
    135 Tajikistan
    135 Barbados
    137 Turkmenistan
    137 Indonesia
    139 Hong Kong
    140 Suriname
    141 Equatorial Guinea
    142 Myanmar
    143 Maldives
    144 Chad
    145 Burundi
    146 New Caledonia
    147 Malaysia
    148 Liechtenstein
    149 Lesotho
    150 Madagascar
    151 St Kitts and Nevis
    152 Liberia
    153 Vanuatu
    154 Malta
    155 Nicaragua
    156 Sri Lanka
    157 Lebanon
    157 Netherlands Antilles
    159 Eritrea
    160 Bangladesh
    161 Kyrgyzstan
    161 Nepal
    161 Niger
    164 St Vincent and the Grenadines
    165 Mauritania
    166 Chinese Taipei
    166 Pakistan
    168 Puerto Rico
    169 Solomon Islands
    170 Philippines
    171 Cambodia
    172 Comoros
    173 Mauritius
    174 Palestine
    174 Seychelles
    174 Somalia
    174 Cayman Islands
    174 Laos
    179 Samoa
    180 Mongolia
    181 Cook Islands
    181 Belize
    181 Bahamas
    184 Dominica
    185 Turks & Caicos Islands
    186 Tonga
    187 Dominican Republic
    188 Djibouti
    189 St. Lucia
    189 Guinea-Bissau
    189 Tahiti
    192 British Virgin Islands
    193 Guam
    193 Afghanistan
    193 Brunei Darussalam
    196 Macau
    197 Bhutan
    197 Aruba
    199 US Virgin Islands
    200 Timor Leste
    201 Andorra
    202 San Marino
    202 Anguilla
    202 Montserrat
    202 American Samoa
    202 Central African Republic
    202 Papua New Guinea

• I think football will be the winner on the day.

That said, if NZ win a game that'd be sensational.

• I'll probably be backing Spain.

And will definitely be behind USA against England.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    What I dont get is that they got Shakira to sing the official World Cup 2010 anthem - SHAKIRA????
    A lot of great S-African musicians got shat on by that move.

With all the problems facing this summer's World Cup in South Africa, the last thing it needed was trouble over something as silly as the tournament's official anthem, but that's exactly what Shakira's "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" is causing among South Africans and many others who have endured it.

The song hit radio stations last week, with Johannesburg locals responding with comments like "It's horrible" and "How is Shakira going to sing the African part of it?" (My guess is with her voice, but a Speak & Spell could be a fun choice, too.)

The Colombian singer collaborated with South African band Freshlyground on the track, which borrows from a Cameroonian song called "Zangalewa." But the fact that the anthem for South Africa's World Cup is not being sung by a South African is the sticking point for the critics who aren't just opposed to the new tune itself.

This isn't even the first time this World Cup's organizers have been given headaches over their musical selection. The tournament's kickoff concert that will take place the night before matches begin on June 11 was also criticized for featuring too many foreign acts like the Black Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys and John Legend, and not local musicians. The organizing committee eventually bowed to the complaints and made the lineup more "representative."

Shakira is scheduled to perform "Waka Waka" with Freshlyground in front of 94,000 people at the final match on July 11. That should be interesting. Even more interesting? The actual tournament.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I am going to stick my neck out here and say that 99.99% of the world will not be familiar with the musical styleways of "Serth Ifirika" and may tune out. BEP and dem is are global brands.

Ideally, I would have stuck with the likes of these, and had them do songs about the country (but without the nasty bits like Apartheid and Soweto Neckties) and unity and that.

George Clinton/Gaga to close it out with "One Nation Under A Groove..." with Clint "Deuce" Dempsey & Nelson Mandela trading rapse.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    See my first post.

Coke beat them to the real World Cup anthem.

Tho, the song is a touch played out with it being out for awhile. And also a big Haiti track as well as for Coke.

But I like the video that goes with the song.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Anything has to be better than Ricky Martin.

Very disappointed by the lack of an official England team song this time round, the kind of musical assault that's sure to strike terror into any opponents.

They shouldve repped South African culture to the fullest for this one - thats what hosting the World Cup represents as an opportunity to South Africans -

not effing BEP and Shakira who dont have an inkling about S-African music and do not represent the hosting nation. That is some ignorant shit right there - like the hollow idolizing of Nelson Mandela by vacuous and completely ignorant popstars who are just making a fashion statement, and in doing so are degrading what he really represents.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

ENGLAND. Bring on the penalty shoot-out exit at the quarters.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    THIS ^^^.

Worth a punt down the bookies doe, to soften the blow.

Probably odds-on though!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Heart: England

Head: Spain.

England/USA should be good. Always interested to see Holland, Brazil, Italy and Argentina, and I'll be looking out for Mexico, who never seem to do as well as perhaps they should, and France, who don't deserve to do as well as they probably will.

I will be praying to God that, at least once, Chile's starting line-up includes Kevin Harbottle of Club Deportivo O'Higgins, and I also hope for the redemption of Mark Gonzalez, ex-LFC, who made his Old Trafford debut as a proud Red with a great future ahead of him, only to have an absolute nightmare and leave the field a shattered husk of a man. Despite his confidence being completely shot following that game, he remains one of the handful of Benitez-era flops that genuinely could-have-been.

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    Hup Holland Hup!

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my heart is with brazil or any african team (algeria)
    my head (and my enjoyment for beautiful football) is Spain
    Underdog is PARAGUAY

i hope holland does better and italy does poorly (please don't injurre anyone)

Most anticipated match...brazilvsPortugal

Some of the television coverage of the World Cup is going to be in 3D - to generate more interest I suppose

ESPN 3D launches in June with World Cup soccer -- our football to follow later[/b]

Need any more proof this is the year of 3D? USA Today is reporting ESPN 3D will start broadcasting this summer with a World Cup soccer match, with additional content coming from the Summer X Games (we won't have to wait for the flick to hit theaters this time) NBA games, and college basketball & football. DirecTV still hasn't confirmed its rumored plans for 3D, but CableLabs CEO Paul Liao is quoted calling the level of engagement 3D sports presents viewers as "unprecedented." More details on exactly how 3D in the home will happen are sure to come throughout the week -- we've already been blown away by 3D sports, it looks like everyone else will have their chance in just a few months.

I wonder how they plan to approach 3d coverage of this...

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    Thanks Chizzle, wonderful memories...

just as this one:

one of the hat[/b]ful of Benitez-era flops

Fixed.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    one of the hat[/b]ful of Benitez-era flops

Fixed.

And after I qualified it and all. Git.