THE NBA PLAYOFFS - '09!!!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Forgot to mention this interview with Ron Artest before Houston's game 6 win, talking about Brandon Roy and his boy from QB being better than Kobe and Lebron. It was pretty funny and the studio reaction was great.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Compare Kobe's second year (1997-1998) to Roy's second year (2008-2009):

Points per game: Kobe - 15.4, Roy - 22.6

Field Goal percentage: Kobe - 42.8, Roy - 48.0

Assists per game: Kobe - 2.5, Roy - 5.1

Rebounds per game: Kobe - 2, Roy - 4.7

Steals per game: Kobe - 2.3, Roy - 1.13

Free throw percentage: Kobe - 79.4, Roy - 82.4

Artest is on to something.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This was Roy's third year. Plus, he's two(?) years older than Kobe was at analogous stages of his career and is playing more minutes.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

This was Roy's third year. Plus, he's two(?) years older than Kobe was at analogous stages of his career and is playing more minutes.

Time flies when you're having fun. Here's the comparisons second year to second year:

Points per game: Kobe - 15.4, Roy - 19.1

Field Goal percentage: Kobe - 42.8, Roy - 45.4

Assists per game: Kobe - 2.5, Roy - 5.8

Steals per game: Kobe - 2.3, Roy - 1.1

Free throw percentage: Kobe - 79.4, Roy - 75.3

Here's the comparisons third year to third year:

Points per game: Kobe - 19.9, Roy - 22.6

Field Goal percentage: Kobe - 46.5, Roy - 48.0

Assists per game: Kobe - 3.8, Roy - 5.1

Rebounds per game: Kobe - 5.3, Roy - 4.7

Steals per game: Kobe - 1.4, Roy - 1.13

Free throw percentage: Kobe - 83.9, Roy - 82.4

Roy stands up very well by comparison in either case.

He is older -- and he has a college degree -- but Roy is NOT playing more minutes than Kobe.

Third year comparison: Kobe - 37.9 minutes/game, Roy - 37.2 minutes/game.

Also, I leave you with this excerpt from an interview with Roy regarding his decision to obtain the college degree:

Q. You've enjoyed immense success as a pro basketball player and yet you returned to the UW to finish up your degree. What motivated you to come back and do that?
    A. I did four years at the University of Washington, but still had one last quarter to go. Then I had a baby boy. I thought, I want my son to grow up to say his dad not only made it to the NBA, but he has a degree from the University of Washington. When Brandon Jr. was born, I said, "I have to go back and do this." I want him to be able to look up to me and not only say his dad was a great basketball player, but he also was a college graduate. I want to be able to teach him to be a student first and I have to practice what I preach, so he can't point a finger at me. That's one of the biggest reasons I decided to go back.

Q. What are your hopes for your son's future - Brandon Jr.?
    A. Making it to the pros is my dream, and I don't want to make that his dream. I want him to be able to grow up and do whatever he likes. I'm definitely going to push him in the classroom. When you have an education, there are so many different doors you can open up for yourself. I'm definitely going to make sure he's reading. I read books to him now and am just there for him - just trying to teach him everything I know.

I chose Roy over Bryant ten times out of ten.

Apparently, when it comes to who to guard, Artest would choose Bryant over Roy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Kobe must have more "style"

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Kobe definitely has more experience and more success. Playing in L.A. versus Portland helps get him more exposure, too.

I hate Kobe as a player -- he plays for my team's hated rival and he is really damn good. His chief weakness is his selfishness and overconfidence -- he doesn't seem to be able to recognize when he's having a bad night. Those also happen to be two of my least favorite attributes of basketball players -- selfishness and overconfidence. Also, and I know this gets some people pissed off (he was acquitted, innocent, et cetera...), but the rape thing still bugs me, too. Not trying to start all that mess again, but its part of why I really hate Kobe.

I'm not trying to suggest that Roy's career at present is better than Kobe's. It's not. But the statistics suggest that Roy's career in a decade will be as good as Kobe's, which gets me and all Trailblazer fans very excited.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    uhh someone took artest seriously after watching that clip?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I can't see the clip. Artest is a clown, but a clown that plays great defense.

I take Brandon Roy seriously.

Time flies when you're having fun. Here's the comparisons second year to second year:

Points per game: Kobe - 15.4, Roy - 19.1

Field Goal percentage: Kobe - 42.8, Roy - 45.4

Assists per game: Kobe - 2.5, Roy - 5.8

Steals per game: Kobe - 2.3, Roy - 1.1

Free throw percentage: Kobe - 79.4, Roy - 75.3

Here's the comparisons third year to third year:

Points per game: Kobe - 19.9, Roy - 22.6

Field Goal percentage: Kobe - 46.5, Roy - 48.0

Assists per game: Kobe - 3.8, Roy - 5.1

Rebounds per game: Kobe - 5.3, Roy - 4.7

Steals per game: Kobe - 1.4, Roy - 1.13

Free throw percentage: Kobe - 83.9, Roy - 82.4

Roy stands up very well by comparison in either case.

He is older -- and he has a college degree -- but Roy is NOT playing more minutes than Kobe.

Third year comparison: Kobe - 37.9 minutes/game, Roy - 37.2 minutes/game.

Okay, how about this?

Big man with whom Kobe was forced to share ball: Shaq

Big man with whom Roy forced to share ball: Greg "Le Bum" Oden

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm not trying to suggest that Roy's career at present is better than Kobe's. It's not. But the statistics suggest that Roy's career in a decade will be as good as Kobe's, which gets me and all Trailblazer fans very excited.

Are u going to include an MVP award,a Brian McKnight collabo,Defensive Team/All Team awards and a one trip to the Finals? I wont even include the Shaq years.

Roy is one my favs right now, but he's a long way from K.O.B.E.

Has Bryant ever get knocked out of the first round?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Are u going to include an MVP award,a Brian McKnight collabo,Defensive Team/All Team awards and a one trip to the Finals? I wont even include the Shaq years.

Roy is one my favs right now, but he's a long way from K.O.B.E.

I include all of the above accolades and more to be absolutely within the grasp of Brandon Roy's next dozen years as a basketball professional. He is playing excellent basketball in his third season, which compares comfortably to the players in the absolute most elite strata of this game.

Has Bryant ever get knocked out of the first round?

Revisit the 2006 and 2007 seasons for Mr. Bryant's first round exits. Don't overlook the 2005 campaign either, in which his squad watched the playoffs from the sidelines. During these three years, he was scoring more points per game on average than in any other three year stretch of his career to date.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Okay, how about this?

Team comparisons cut both ways, as Shaquille's dominance inside should have opened up more opportunities for Kobe to score when he had the basketball, which in turn should have led to him shooting a higher percentage from the field. He did not shoot a higher percentage in his third season than Brandon Roy did, though Roy is clearly the Trailblazers go to player on offense.

I'm frankly surprised that this is such catnip to you, D*****. Did Yuichi hack into your account?

Okay, how about this?

Big man with whom Kobe was forced to share ball: Shaq, is the reason he has rings.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Can Roy really hold a candle to Mike from Queens Bridge though?

Okay, how about this?

Team comparisons cut both ways, as Shaquille's dominance inside should have opened up more opportunities for Kobe to score when he had the basketball, which in turn should have led to him shooting a higher percentage from the field. He did not shoot a higher percentage in his third season than Brandon Roy did, though Roy is clearly the Trailblazers go to player on offense.

I'm frankly surprised that this is such catnip to you, D*****. Did Yuichi hack into your account?

Actually, I really like Brandon Roy. No axe to grind here.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Kevin Durant is better than Roy and Kobe

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Durant is better than Greg Oden, but the Trailblazers still should not have drafted Durant when they had the chance.

Durant is better than Greg Oden, but the Trailblazers still should not have drafted Durant when they had the chance.

I think they blew it by not taking him.....Aldridge can develop into a legit big man in the middle....more so than Oden(imo).

And is there any question that Durant is 5x the player Michael Beasley is?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

MVP

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Okay, how about this?

Big man with whom Kobe was forced to share ball: Shaq, is the reason he has rings.

c'mon now.
    i'm not quick to jump to the defense of kobe, but that's just silly.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Aldridge is great, but he cannot develop into a legit NBA big man and it would be a big mistake to push him that direction.

Oden by virtue of his size and ability entered the league as a semi-legit big man. In this his first full season, he averaged 9 points and 7 boards a game. That's a decent contribution. No blockbuster, but very solid inside.

He kinda froze up against Yao in the playoffs, but I credit that to inexperience, height disadvantage, and some whistlehappy refs

Oden will probably not develop into Patrick Ewing, but he probably will develop into Robert Parish. I can handle the chief.

Okay, how about this?

c'mon now.

Silly that Shaq is the reason the Lakers & Heat won rings with him.

Are you a Hockey fan?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Okay, how about this?

c'mon now.

Are you a Hockey fan?

shaq wasn't the only player on those teams. if i recall correctly, he had a guy who was awarded finals mvp in miami, and kobe in LA.
    it's like saying shaq can't win a ring without a kobe/wade type player, which is completely baseless (although probably true at this stage in his career).

and no, i don't watch hockey at all.

Okay, how about this?

c'mon now.

Are you a Hockey fan?

shaq wasn't the only player on those teams. if i recall correctly, he had a guy who was awarded finals mvp in miami, and kobe in LA.
    it's like saying shaq can't win a ring without a kobe/wade type player, which is completely baseless (although probably true at this stage in his career).

and no, i don't watch hockey at all.

The history of the NBA, which unfortunately I have witnessed more than half of, is that big men win Championships.

This isn't my opinion, it's a proven fact based on what teams have won championships.

Every once in a while an exception to the rule comes along ala MJ, but 80%+ of the NBA Champs had a dominant big man(men).

It's a stat that I have become a firm believer in.

In my lifetime Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Parrish/McHale, Tim Duncan, Walton, and yes, Shaq.

No doubt they all had some great players on their teams, but the dominant big man is the common denominator.

Shaq has made every team he joined an automatic contender up until Phoenix.

Kobe & DWade, while great, have both proven they can't carry a team the way a dominant big man can.

It may change in the future, but not recognizing what Shaq, and other big men, did in the past is what seems silly to me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think Rock's argument is that crazy. A Shaq-less Lakers team, Kobe or not, wouldn't have racked up 3 rings. That said, I might also say the same thing about a Kobe-less Lakers team even with Shaq.

And hell, even with both, they weren't invincible. Pistons, holler.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock: That said, the MJ-lead Bulls kind of fucks your argument up and you're not giving that enough credit. I mean, six rings isn't exactly a statistically aberration!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Don't sleep on old bald beard himself...BILL CARTWRIGHT HOLLER!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There's no argument against the Big Man Theory.

None of these current teams are those Bulls.

This currrent Lakers team has no Scottie Pippen. Horace Grant was an above average Power Forward.

And during the second run, Dennis Rodman rebounds like a Big Man.

Even if they didnt win w/ a Classic Center, dont try to paint a picture like it was guard driven team. The Triangle Offense compensates for the lack of a "need the ball Center".

Thw whole Shaq vs Kobe shit is tired. That was nipped in the bud when Shaq went to Miami.

The Lakers didnt turn the corner until Pau Gasol came to the team.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Kobe better recover from his cold and Lakers better get that rust off QUICK! I only caught the game from the end of the 3rd but this is ugly.