THE NBA PLAYOFFS - '09!!!

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I can't believe the refs don't call Artest's stiff arm. He does that shit every time he drives it to the rack.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I want the Nuggets to destroy the Lakers. Rockets suck, they have no chance.

I want the Nuggets to destroy the Lakers. Rockets suck, they have no chance.

uhhh, were you just watching the game? That game was not easy by any means. Anytime KB scores 40 points, it's usually not a good sign.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Rockets suck, but will make it interesting. They have more heart than talent. Scola is a total stiff.

They got talent and heart. I wouldn't be surprised if they take the next one at home. They're tough.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    They got talent and heart. I wouldn't be surprised if they take the next one at home. They're tough.

its the coaching and their approach to the game (team discipline high bbal IQ)

sure the last 2 minutes they gave up (read up on your readups on that NYT battier article)

but before that they were close to coming back anytime

game 3 will be intense...

kobe was spectacular but if he chokes even slightly rockets can win at anytime

dont underestimate this series

i hope the nuggets new and improved defense will have the same effect on the lakers since the nuggets are deeper (although i liked how the rockets bench played)

vamos a ver

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

(read up on your readups on that NYT battier article)

please no.
    that stroke-piece on his "cerebral" approach to the game is simply retarded.
    i give a F*ck if some stats intern gives him a john hollinger based printout of kobe's shot selection before every game.
    sager's "he updates this right before the game!!!" waving of papers in the camera lens last night was awful television.
    battier face guards kobe really well on every shot, that doesn't take a statistician. hooray, he's a good defender-- but i don't understand why the literati have jumped on his nuts.

oh, and this rockets/lakers thing-- i'm praying it goes to 7 games. it is fantastic basketball, and i'm not really a fan of either team.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

please no.
    i give a F*ck if some stats intern gives him a john hollinger based printout of kobe's shot selection before every game.
    sager's "he updates this right before the game!!!" waving of papers in the camera lens last night was awful television.
    battier face guards kobe really well on every shot, that doesn't take a statistician. hooray, he's a good defender-- but i don't understand why the literati have jumped on his nuts.

Dude "speaks well" and shit, so white folks like to prop his ass up for contrast. Grant Hill type shit.

"He's so articulate compared to those Hip Hoppity dudes..." "He studies really hard..."

please no.

Dude "speaks well" and shit, so white folks like to prop his ass up for contrast. Grant Hill type shit.

"He's so articulate compared to those Hip Hoppity dudes..." "He studies really hard..."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

"He's so articulate compared to that Birdman dude[/b] ..." "

Have u noticed before the Playoffs they were like - "Anderson, w./ the block.."

Now they NEVER miss an opportunity to say "BIRDMAN". Its overkill now.

I can't think of another player in the NBA that was referred to by his nickname more than their real name......even "Pistol Pete" had his real name in there.

Can y'all think of any??

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

please no.

After having intensely disliked him for years, that article kind of made me warm to him.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

please no.

Actually, that's not really what the article was about. It took a tangent into the realm of how Shane wasn't "hood" enough or whatever, but mostly, it's about how basketball players help their teams win games in ways that are very difficult to quantify. The main point of the article was: "Shane Battier is looked upon as an OK player, nothing too special, yet he invariably makes his team win a lot more games. Why is that?"

I can't think of another player in the NBA that was referred to by his nickname more than their real name......even "Pistol Pete" had his real name in there.

Can y'all think of any??

Magic is a one word dude.

Magic is a one word dude.

Indeed.

please no.

Actually, that's not really what the article was about. It took a tangent into the realm of how Shane wasn't "hood" enough or whatever, but mostly, it's about how basketball players help their teams win games in ways that are very difficult to quantify. The main point of the article was: "Shane Battier is looked upon as an OK player, nothing too special, yet he invariably makes his team win a lot more games. Why is that?"
    because his game is sooooooooooooooo cerebral.

and yeah, it mostly talked about a movement (specifically in the rockets front office, which has been written about a million times) to utilize new statistics to analyze the contributions of players that don't show up big in the box scores. it was on some billy bean shit, which is nothing new in the L-- i think it's that the times utilized battier's riveting background story and grinning mug to sell the article (as opposed to say, ron artest's or another hip-hoppity type who is a good perimeter/wing defender) to better satiate the target audience of the piece.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

please no.

Is that supposed to be some sort of denigration?

b/w

Do you think Shane Battier's game is built upon superior athleticism?

please no.

b/w

White Guys are "Cerebral" cause they cant jump as high/etc.

Whitified Black Guys are "Cerebral" because they "Speak so well", do more research than Daquan Cook,and had high scores in College.

b/w

it's more directed at the people/writers/analysts that overstate his significance than to him as a player. he's a good defender. in the current series, he face guards kobe. i hardly think that warrants the "ZOMG!!!'s" that he regularly receives.

b/w

not at all, nor do i think it takes a statistical genius to effectively guard talented players. he's simply good (not great-- he makes scorers less efficient, not less effective, check the last paragraph of the aforementioned nyt piece) at it, regardless of his athletic shortcomings relative to other players in the league.

Ron Artest is like a Dennis Rodman throwback right about now! I like it.

Imagine him sitting over at TNT and being a commentator! That would be some shit.

Ernie Johnson the other night saying, "Ron Artest always gives great SOUND." I agree.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

please no.

After having intensely disliked him for years, that article kind of made me warm to him.

I really abhored him in his days at duke and the article had the same effect

i was not referring to him personnaly but the team as a whole playing smart basketball and minimising mistakes while maximising opportunities
    i like their approach like you said Great basketball

artest could be the x factor (as clich?? as it ounds)

but this all rets on 2 kobe offnights at least

All you Dork haters can expect a delivery via silver platter when today's local story about him hits nationally.

Have fun!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    All you Dork haters can expect a delivery via silver platter when today's local story about him hits nationally.

Have fun!

the 8 aliases stalker at his house - story

Have fun!

the 8 aliases supposed pregnant girlfriend at his house - story

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Have fun!

Sybil and them

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Have fun!

Sybil and them

^^^^

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Battier has no game...He's an average spot up shooter and overrated defender...After playing 40 minutes in game 1 Yao wanted no parts of Game 2...Scola is the typical floppy Euro...Artest allowed Kobe to get in his head again and quit on his team ,not to mention he should have been suspended for not leaving the court in a timely manner...Adelman is coach of the decade if he takes this series to 6 games.....As a Laker fan only 2 teams scare me Denver and Boston but the Lakers have home court in both....How anyone can sit through 4 qtrs of the boring ass Cavs is beyond me

How anyone can sit through 4 qtrs of the boring ass Cavs is beyond me

I've been saying this for a minute.