Is rap killing it right now?

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    its like people on this board dont actually listen to any contemporary rap, at all

like, theres the kid who only reps for local shit from texas (or occasionally from cali, apparently)

the dudes who rep for corny contemporary blog bullshit

then the dudes who have good taste in the extremely small # of contemporary rap records being released in new york (or new york satellite city philly), or a token southern rap record by t.i. or jeezy or trae, etc etc etc but view pretty much the rest of rap as not 'innovative' or whatever

in case u guys dont realize theres a whole world of rap music out there right now -- its really not a-few-good-tracks-per-year genre. rap is one of the most popular genres in the world. what replaced it?? whats 'more cutting edge' -- dubstep?? seriously? its f*ckin trip hop with new bassline noises.

i have trouble keeping up with rap right now. theres so much shit coming out & so much of it is good ... boosie just released a new tape. theres a new gucci tape out. theres a new gucci/oj tape out. theres a new tape by foxx. theres a great new single from royce da 5'9. project pat is doing a flood-the-industry imitation gucci thing right now. there are a bunch of up and coming dudes out of alabama who keep dropping shit. a bunch of dudes in ATL following on gucci's trail w/ the trap-a-holics tapes, guys like big stacksss. nitti has been working with dudes like 9th ward gucci & playa shaw. soulja boy had the biggest instrumental of the year w/ 'swag on'. all $tar is big in memphis. there was a new mr. sche album in memphis. yo gotti has been killing it in memphis w/ regular tapes. juvenile had a great tape a couple months back. b.g./chopper city boyz released a new tape. 40 glocc has been dropping some real solid material. dogg pound are dropping new shit semi-regularly. locally, twista & vakill are supposed to release albums this year, and twista's is apparently already done & the lead single is hot as F*ck.

seriously every damn rap thread on this board is the same -- some of you dudes should really know better. it doesnt take much work to stay up on rap people are actually listening to. i live in the midwest which maybe helps bcuz folks arent so biased against/for their own region (since obviously our region's been pretty derivative for so long) so i probably hear about more shit. but this stuff is hugely popular. many of the dudes i mentioned are pushing huge #s of mixtapes.

meanwhile on here the argument always devolves to "KID CUDI IS THE TRUTH & THE FUTURE!!!" vs. "NO RAP IS MOSTLY SHITTY EXCEPT FOR 5 ALBUMS THAT WERE GOOD THIS YEAR PS: I HATE NEW RAP BUT IM NOT CORNY ENOUGH TO GET INTO ITS REPLACEMENT GENRE HIPSTER-AUTOTUNE" vs. "MY NAME IS HARVEY CANAL & I ONLY LISTEN TO RAP MUSIC FROM TEXAS & OCCASIONALLY CALI"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    & Brian picking one real rap texas album to post a giant cover image of for the rest of the year

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I mean... that is awesome. I don't like all of the artists you mentioned but whatever. I agree that if you actually care about rap (most here don't) then there's tons of shit to get into.

The concept of being "innovative" though... I mean what does that even mean. Like I said, misguided.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ooh, how can I be more like deej?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    deej can you summarize your gigantic post or was the only relevant part for me contained in your second post?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i live in the midwest which maybe helps bcuz folks arent so biased against/for their own region

I think this has been pretty important in fostering my rap taste, for better or worse.

And I really haven't had much time to keep up with any music for the past few years as sad as that is.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah i mean im of the mind that innovative is 99% of the time only meaningful in discussions 99% of the time on a micro scale i.e. gucci's innovative use of ad libs is interesting but i dont think its going to mean THAT much in the grand scheme of things

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    deej can you summarize your gigantic post or was the only relevant part for me contained in your second post?

ha i was just busting your balls, but yah i think u might agree with me otherwise

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think anyone here wants you to change

seriously im not saying that everyone needs to listen to rap like i do or whatever, this kind of listening is as much a product of internet postmodern life as giving a shit about degrassi stars who decide to be rappers, my point is just have a little perspective

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

ha i was just busting your balls, but yah i think u might agree with me otherwise

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part but I mean, people are going to listen to what they do. It's really not hemold's fault that he has shitty taste in general. Lots of people still have eAsT sIdE rYdA syndrome but it sure as F*ck ain't hurting any independent Southern rappers who are actually doing shit. I just wish I could keep up with shit beyond albums.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    i dont think anyone here wants you to change

seriously im not saying that everyone needs to listen to rap like i do or whatever, this kind of listening is as much a product of internet postmodern life as giving a shit about degrassi stars who decide to be rappers, my point is just have a little perspective

All I've said in this thread is that San Quinn put out a good album.

Not sure what extra "perspective" out of that you are looking for.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Im too old to be worrying about 50 artists from 30 cities that have the lifespan of a stick of celery.b, 21b, 21My days of Chasing all the new shit is done. I have nothin to prove w/ that. Ive got a gang of wax/cd from cats that Ill never listen to ever again.b, 21b, 21My ear is close enuff to the street to know when the cream rises to the top.b, 21b, 21If you as a 15 year listener get mad at folks for not liking the shit you like......DILL. b, 21b, 21I really could care less if dude think that im a hatter. b, 21Ive never said once on this board that "The old Rap is better than the new", but im not gonna jump on any new bandwagon just because its hyped by 3 cats.b, 21b, 21I check what alot of u dudes thorw up here as good Hip Hop and sometimes just dont understand what the hell your thinkin. b, 21b, 21Shawwna? That Slim Thug shit? That forgotton for a reason Lil Vicious trash? Freeway's Free At Last = The Chronic???b, 21b, 21Its all good. All of our fucked up tastes make for this "Sports Radio-type" tawk.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Let's face facts - rap of this age is just not innovative music. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21the lines are much more blurred more now. b, 21r&b ( rap & bullshit ) POP img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/595.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21looking back, late 90s were so much better vs. todays new club crap. b, 21>> if anything, its become sooo formulaic its just one big song. cadence. tone. beats. hooks> the chop n screw vocal hook ( marley marl based)b, 21b, 21just saw that jim jones video... once again, money money money is the topic. come the F*ck on.b, 21b, 21its crazy to me that after all rap has seen and done, cats on here really think terms such as "new" and "innovative" come to mind. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Some people need to read more and respond less. Complete sentences would be helpful too. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21passive aggressive chat room behavior. b, 21b, 21im sure your smart enough to read and comprehend my broken sentences....as you do your favorite rappers mispronounced lyrics. you must have a tough time as you listen along, theres so much to correct.b, 21b, 21gosh darnit...im also not using capital letters. boy do i need some teachin'b, 21b, 21b, 21some people, that being me... ?b, 21b, 21seems your having trouble being direct...let me show you how its done homeboy.b, 21b, 21eat a dick and shut the F*ck up. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Haha. Thank you for your thoughtful critique. Yeah, I'm a dick for calling you out on the fact that I can't comprehend what you're saying. I actually had to read your original post twice to know that it was indeed rubbish. If you look back at the previous two pages you'll find great responses to your flawed argument that old rap is superior to new rap because they don't talk about money. I would expect someone who's been around soulstrut for over four years to dismiss college freshman, suburb rap-loving logic because it's been criticized over and over and over. That's why, RAW HAMBURGER, you should start thinking about threads before you post in them.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Im too old to be worrying about 50 artists from 30 cities that have the lifespan of a stick of celery.b,121b, 21My days of Chasing all the new shit is done. I have nothin to prove w/ that. Ive got a gang of wax/cd from cats that Ill never listen to ever again.b,121b, 21My ear is close enuff to the street to know when the cream rises to the top.b,121b,121If you as a 15 year listener get mad at folks for not liking the shit you like......DILL. b, 21b, 21I really could care less if dude think that im a hatter. b,121Ive never said once on this board that "The old Rap is better than the new", but im not gonna jump on any new bandwagon just because its hyped by 3 cats.b, 21b, 21I check what alot of u dudes thorw up here as good Hip Hop and sometimes just dont understand what the hell your thinkin. b,121b, 21Shawwna? That Slim Thug shit? That forgotton for a reason Lil Vicious trash? Freeway's Free At Last = The Chronic???b,121b,121Its all good. All of our fucked up tastes make for this "Sports Radio-type" tawk. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121no ones asking you to follow it. but your 'cream rises in the streets' theory might work a lot better if new york wasnt eternally out of touch these days. is gucci even getting radio play up there, or are they still playing asher roth?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    u guys still bumpin that chicken noodle soup?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I heard "Trap Say Aye" when I was up there last week.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    all it took was a cam'ron verse

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I still don't understand the theory about how a city or region can be out of touch. People like different shit all across the country. I know cats in East New York that only rock Jeezy and I know cats in Houston that rock Q-Tip. Who's in the wrong? I really don't understand.b,121b,121And because someone doesn't listen to something in particular, that makes them disconnected? Disconnected from what exactly?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Im too old to be worrying about 50 artists from 30 cities that have the lifespan of a stick of celery.b,121b,121My days of Chasing all the new shit is done. I have nothin to prove w/ that. Ive got a gang of wax/cd from cats that Ill never listen to ever again.b,121b,121My ear is close enuff to the street to know when the cream rises to the top.b,121b,121If you as a 15 year listener get mad at folks for not liking the shit you like......DILL. b,121b,121I really could care less if dude think that im a hatter. b,121Ive never said once on this board that "The old Rap is better than the new", but im not gonna jump on any new bandwagon just because its hyped by 3 cats.b,121b,121I check what alot of u dudes thorw up here as good Hip Hop and sometimes just dont understand what the hell your thinkin. b,121b,121Shawwna? That Slim Thug shit? That forgotton for a reason Lil Vicious trash? Freeway's Free At Last = The Chronic???b,121b,121Its all good. All of our fucked up tastes make for this "Sports Radio-type" tawk. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121no ones asking you to follow it. but your 'cream rises in the streets' theory might work a lot better if new york wasnt eternally out of touch these days. is gucci even getting radio play up there, or are they still playing asher roth? b,121b,121h,121b,121b,121I gave up listening to the radio for Hip Hop 10 years ago.b,121b,121And the whole "New York is Out of It" is a bunch of doo-doo. I do think the 5 boros have internet connections. No one w/ any sense is dependant on mainstream media to shape their tastes at this point. And DJs in NYC clubs play way different shit than what other regions play? We all got internet - right?b,121All the dudes here(SS) who play in NYC only play Local NY shit???b,121b,121What does Gucci-NYC Radio Play mean in '09. b,121b,121Its funny - u wanna to think your beyond NYC but you still continue to hold up a "Dead City" as some mark of success. Whatever. I dont CHASE - that's all.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah i never really got the eAsT sIdE rYdAh feeling from BATMON, don't know where that's coming from.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im talking about new york radio, what mixtapes you guys are buying etcb,121b,121i look at xxl's mixtape review section b,121http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?cat=2508b,121b,121and they're reviewing every charles hamilton & max b mixtapes vs. how many dudes outside new york that actually have a chance to move units?

I dont think Deej is accusing me of that.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think a regional bias is getting replaced by a blog payola bias right now

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121im talking about new york radio, what mixtapes you guys are buying etcb,121b,121i look at xxl's mixtape review section b,121http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?cat=2508b,121b,121and they're reviewing every charles hamilton & max b mixtapes vs. how many dudes outside new york that actually have a chance to move units? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121XXL?????? Seriously? They are not the barometer. b,121b,121Or at least not mine. I havent picked up an XXL since Bush's first go round.b,121b,121Who moving units anywhere besides Country Music?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Ooh, how can I be more like deej?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You should try--he made some excellent points in his poast.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121i think a regional bias is getting replaced by a blog payola bias right now
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Nah. b,121b,121Lets get back to the OG question.b,121b,121Is RAP Killin' IT rite now?b,121b,121Yes.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121i think a regional bias is getting replaced by a blog payola bias right now
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's a good thing because regional bias tends to have a more lasting and significant impact versus blog payola which won't last past the first single for most raps.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im sure someone posted this on soulstrut already but:b,121b,121object width="480" height="295"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"1/embed1/object1

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'll be the first to admit that New York radio is shit for the most part but mixshows are still okay... but isn't that the case across the country? Admittedly I don't really listen to radio that much. And dude is right XXL is not a barometer at all.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I saw DJ Premier spin on Saturday, so, in my private mind garden, rap is killing it right now.