Is rap killing it right now?

Comments

• dude, lil wayne's verse on the "don't touch me" remix alone proves dudes an MC, lumping him in w/ "bullshit" is really unfair. he's killed q-tip, busta, big daddy kane, raekwon, game and nas on posse tracks.

I thought everyone killed it on that track.

the last freeway

Batmon:

Was DOPE. Is there any rap you like that is somewhat current? Maybe my memory isn't serving me right but I rarely see you big up any recent hip-hop.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    the last freeway

Batmon:

Was DOPE. Is there any rap you like that is somewhat current? Maybe my memory isn't serving me right but I rarely see you big up any recent hip-hop.

I enjoyed Devin The Dude's Waiting To Inhale and Kanye's Graduation more than Freeway's Free At Last.

But then again "I hatt Southern and 80's Retro" shit.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Let's face facts - rap of this age is just not innovative music.

the lines are much more blurred more now.
    r&b ( rap & bullshit ) POP

looking back, late 90s were so much better vs. todays new club crap.

t-pain, lil wayne, young this, lil that>>> if anything, its become sooo formulaic its just one big song. cadence. tone. beats. hooks> the chop n screw vocal hook ( marley marl based)

just saw that jim jones video... once again, money money money is the topic. come the F*ck on.

its crazy to me that after all rap has seen and done, cats on here really think terms such as "new" and "innovative" come to mind.

Some people need to read more and respond less. Complete sentences would be helpful too.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ahhhh, another Soulstrut classique!

Someone drop the "rap threads" gif, por favor.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That last Freeway album wasnt much to write home about.

Dude, you're tripping.

That last Freeway album wasnt much to write home about.

Dude, you're tripping.

Ya'll was up in here talmbout "Its That shit!!!" -

I found it very uneven.

Plus Ive never been a fan.

Feel free to hatt.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    last freeway > last q-tip

last freeway > last q-tip

• Let's face facts - rap of this age is just not innovative music.

the lines are much more blurred more now.
    r&b ( rap & bullshit ) POP

looking back, late 90s were so much better vs. todays new club crap.

t-pain, lil wayne, young this, lil that>>> if anything, its become sooo formulaic its just one big song. cadence. tone. beats. hooks> the chop n screw vocal hook ( marley marl based)

just saw that jim jones video... once again, money money money is the topic. come the F*ck on.

its crazy to me that after all rap has seen and done, cats on here really think terms such as "new" and "innovative" come to mind.

Some people need to read more and respond less. Complete sentences would be helpful too.

passive aggressive chat room behavior.

im sure your smart enough to read and comprehend my broken sentences....as you do your favorite rappers mispronounced lyrics. you must have a tough time as you listen along, theres so much to correct.

gosh darnit...im also not using capital letters. boy do i need some teachin'

some people, that being me... ?

seems your having trouble being direct...let me show you how its done homeboy.

eat a dick and shut the F*ck up.

• Options

Sometimes I second guess myself and wonder if the reason I'm not feeling most of the new shit is due to being older, or if it's the formulaic-sounding, auto-tune using tsunami of crap coming from these clons with retarded names...

The new shit is typically conceived in the minds of dudes who want to get rich and famous--at least it sounds that way.

The old shit was mostly conceived from the hearts of dudes who described real experiences.

My $0.02

• last freeway > last q-tip

both are great but kinda apples and oranges. I guess Free had Scarface on his album and you people love scarface =P

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Someone drop the "rap threads" gif, por favor.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The new shit is typically conceived in the minds of dudes who want to get rich and famous--at least it sounds that way.

The old shit was mostly conceived from the hearts of dudes who described real experiences.

If you're older, then surely you have some memory of the kind of "old shit" that was all party-hearty, hotel-motel-holiday-inn, ladies-what's-your-zodiac-sign? If you're not that old, you might remember the ugly-people-be-quiet, Brenda-got-a-big-ol-butt, let's-do-the-dance-called-the-Pee-Wee-Herman days.

I get the feeling that, if you were to take a random sample of broke-ass old-school rappers and ask them to make a choice between compromising The Culture and getting mad zlotys, you'd be a lot more surprised by their answers than I would.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's true - back in the day nobody wanted to get rich and famous! That's a really recent phenomenon. I think it was P-Diddy that started that whole mess.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "I got bodyguards, I got two big cars
    that definitely ain't the wack
    I got a Lincoln Continental and a chartreuse Cadillac
    So after school, I take a dip in the pool
    Which is really off the wall
    I got a color TV so I can see
    the Knicks play basketball
    I'ma talk about checkbooks, credit cards, more money
    than a sucker could ever spend,
    But I wouldnt give a sucker or a bum from the Rucker
    not a dime til I made it again"

Yeah, all this materialism is really ruining rap music nowadays.

If you're older, then surely you have some memory of the kind of "old shit" that was all party-hearty, hotel-motel-holiday-inn, ladies-what's-your-zodiac-sign? If you're not that old, you might remember the ugly-people-be-quiet, Brenda-got-a-big-ol-butt, let's-do-the-dance-called-the-Pee-Wee-Herman days.

I get the feeling that, if you were to take a random sample of broke-ass old-school rappers and ask them to make a choice between compromising The Culture and getting mad zlotys, you'd be a lot more surprised by their answers than I would.

The most annoying thing about people who talk this "back in the day" shit is how limited their awareness of history seems.

The most annoying thing about people who talk this "back in the day" shit is how limited their awareness of history seems.

"But my friends and I got high to Raising Hell on the daily!"

• Uh-oh....we are REALLY entering classic soulstrut rap territory.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Its like a well rehearsed play. I forgot which part comes next.

Oh yeah its "Yeah there was that stuff back in the day but that was only part of it and it was so diverse and now its ONLY that shit"

and then the response of "well obviously you don't listen to much rap music or you would know about blah blah blah".

I'm almost positive that comes next, but now that I've said it, I'm afraid it won't happen.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Well, there can be a case made that rap back in the day was better (I hate to use that word). But not on some "It's so materialistic now" type deal.

Its like a well rehearsed play. I forgot which part comes next.

Oh yeah its "Yeah there was that stuff back in the day but that was only part of it and it was so diverse and now its ONLY that shit"

and then the response of "well obviously you don't listen to much rap music or you would know about blah blah blah".

I'm almost positive that comes next, but now that I've said it, I'm afraid it won't happen.

U dont listen to the Rapp music

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I just copped this.

Also, I know there was a lot of shit talking on Skillz "Million Dollar Backpack" on here a while ago. I just got done doing a tour with the dude and he's ill. Really great live show and terrific stage presence. So I copped the "Million Dollar Backpack" CD and it's got some really good joints on it. I just wanted to put that out there.

PS: Thank You Jay Dee Part 4

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah, and yet I still sometimes read the threads....

weird.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

I just copped this.

Also, I know there was a lot of shit talking on Skillz "Million Dollar Backpack" on here a while ago. I just got done doing a tour with the dude and he's ill. Really great live show and terrific stage presence. So I copped the "Million Dollar Backpack" CD and it's got some really good joints on it. I just wanted to put that out there.

PS: Thank You Jay Dee Part 4

I like vol 5 more than 6.

this mix is dope...J Rocc still mixes like no other.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah 5 is the business.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is that what asher roth really looks like? i mean i was kinda expecting that but i like to be surprised sometimes

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Wale and Tyga joints are the best.