Is rap killing it right now?

Comments

• an internet bozo chump change dj. Eat a dick you worm, and keep your shitty opinion on your myspace page.

• Some dudes on here can throw shit like that around cause they actually work as critics, or they actually make records, but you're just an internet bozo chump change dj.

Huh?? So someone who "works as a critic" has the right to state their opinion and others don't? That's interesting, because I often find myself feeling like most professional music critics are the least qualified people on Earth to hold forth on the music they write about (let's call it Breihanism). Just because some out of touch publication pays you to offer up your opinions on music, doesn't mean you hold shit weight in the real world. Why is everything out of your mouth so consistently stupid and stuck up?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Some dudes on here can throw shit like that around cause they actually work as critics, or they actually make records, but you're just an internet bozo chump change dj.

Huh?? So someone who "works as a critic" has the right to state their opinion and others don't? That's interesting, because I often find myself feeling like most professional music critics are the least qualified people on Earth to hold forth on the music they write about (let's call it Breihanism). Just because some out of touch publication pays you to offer up your opinions on music, doesn't mean you hold shit weight in the real world. Why is everything out of your mouth so consistently stupid and stuck up?

For real: a critic's opinion isn't generally worth shit just b/c he or she is a critic. It's consistency of performance that makes an opinion worth its salt; not the fact that you're earning salt for it. That's why whenever James writes something on Strut, I'm likely to pay far more attention to that than the majority of what I might read in a mag or a newspaper. He may not get paid to offer his opinion but he's a shitload more interesting and insightful than those who earn a wage to do so.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Rhymesayers puts out some really terrible music sometimes

Actually they rarely do.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Who's Freeway?

• The diversity of the voices out there right now just seems to make everything more exciting.
    innovative and new.

as far as rap music is concerned, where can i hear something truly new and innovative ?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Some dudes on here can throw shit like that around cause they actually work as critics, or they actually make records, but you're just an internet bozo chump change dj.

For real: a critic's opinion isn't generally worth shit just b/c he or she is a critic. It's consistency of performance that makes an opinion worth its salt; not the fact that you're earning salt for it.

I believe your dude hemold is actually enrolled in a graduate program in "Performance Studies" at a high-priced private university here in New York.

That is to say, he pays to do this, son!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    hemold

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I like Jay Electronica!

Z-Ro all day and ABN

Some of the Max B stuff

everyone else is tired or wack!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Why is everything out of your mouth so consistently stupid and stuck up?

Because you want it it be. Seriously, instead of finding a way to make me into your whipping post it might be more interesting to find a way to be engaging. If you disagree, ask a question first instead of launching into some tirade that makes you feel like you're beating me at something.

I'm not talking about 'a critic' as in any music critic. The fact that I said "Some dudes on here," should have indicated that I was referring to critics who post on this forum, and not critics in general. I was thinking of Odub when I made that comment. And yes, some people on here have better opinions than others. Young Phonics' opinion is neither better nor good.

And, to further address my original point: things are different right now. If you think the state of rap is the same now as 30 years ago you're not seeing the bigger picture. Spoonie G's mixtape didn't have 25,000 downloads the first day it was put out. The four dudes that I listed originally are getting a lot of shine right now, and none of them even have an album that you can buy in stores (with the exception of Cudi's single).

Wayne and Kanye are doing the kind of stuff that they couldn't have done early on in their career. And they're doing stuff that doesn't have much of a precedent. How many songs was Wayne on last year? How many songs of his own did he record?

I think some music really does last longer, but it happens at a personal level, and less so at an institutional/historical level. I'm not hoping for the next illmatic, or the next classic album. But, I do want to hear rappers that are speaking on more than the status quo. That's why I'm excited about dudes making mixtapes and catching so much fame off of them. They arrive through different avenues, and thus share different experiences. That's why I started listening to Living Legends 10 years ago, I just wanted to hear people rapping about a broader range of subjects. And, that's why I started listening to Anticon, it's just a different voice. As far as I know rapping is about sharing your experiences with your audience. I enjoy a lot of the stuff that's out there, but it doesn't mean I want to hear the same thing all the time.

For Faux Rillz, I really don't think you should be talking, because you clearly haven't listened to the dudes I posted up if you think it's college rap. If you want to further your missions to insult me,then fine, but take that shit to a seperate thread. I know that your fear of life keeps you shut in most of the time, but you're more disconnected than I could have ever imagined if you think any of that stuff is 'college rap'. But hey, being bald, old, and sexless since you were born does things to people that I wouldn't understand.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I believe your dude hemold is actually enrolled in a graduate program in "Performance Studies" at a high-priced private university here in New York.

That is to say, he pays to do this, son!

Actually, I graduated 2 years ago, but thanks for paying attention. I assume you got your law degree from a bargaing-priced public institution?

Toot toot with your trumpet.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    This man is a moderator! A little respect!

But every post he makes is a trainwreck.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Faux doesn???t need my help, but who???s being insulting now?

I don???t think anyone here is saying rap hasn???t changed for 30 years. A lot of the same (types of) rappers you dismiss also started on mixtapes, so not sure of your point there.

And I would ask that you to re-read anything you???ve written in the past week, or give it to someone off the board and ask them if you sound stuck-up and chiding.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

as far as rap music is concerned, where can i hear something truly new and innovative ?

808's and Heartbreak, and all of the stuff I listed in my first post.

And, to further address my original point: things are different right now. If you think the state of rap is the same now as 30 years ago you're not seeing the bigger picture. Spoonie G's mixtape didn't have 25,000 downloads the first day it was put out. The four dudes that I listed originally are getting a lot of shine right now, and none of them even have an album that you can buy in stores (with the exception of Cudi's single).

There is something annoyingly ahistorical about the comparison here despite the attempt to argue that "things done changed."

Straight up: if it took more work to get a mixtape from Kid Cudi - you had to find a friend of a friend who had a copy and trying to get him to make you a dub vs. clicking a link - you think dude would be getting 25,000 looks?

Also, compare how many singles Spoonie Gee sold off "Spoonin Rap" with whatever numbers any of those dudes manage to post up. I'm going to wager advantage = Spoonie Gee. Yes yes ya'll.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I don???t think anyone here is saying rap hasn???t changed for 30 years. A lot of the same (types of) rappers you dismiss also started on mixtapes, so not sure of your point there.

Who am I dismissing?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wale is innovative? Nah son I think you're sipping the juice. Look, I'm as open as the next man for new and innovative shit but Wale isn't innovative. He sounds like a poor man's Consequence. I'll give it to Kanye for trying to something different with "808s" even though in my opinion the it really missed the mark. But to call Cudi and Wale innovative is like to call Cool Kids innovative, when they're really not doing anything new.

808's and Heartbreak, and all of the stuff I listed in my first post.

Dude...

For the record, I respected Kanye's new CD and I thought it was "creative" but that's not really the same thing as "innovative."

A rapper using Autotune in late 2008 = anything but "new" or"innovative."

He sounds like a poor man's Consequence.

Ouch! I'm not sure if that's a bigger diss on Wale...or Consequence...

And hey, when's the last time a rapper did a whole album's worth of songs about Seinfeld? You gotta admit - no one's taken the game there before.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Straight up: if it took more work to get a mixtape from Kid Cudi - you had to find a friend of a friend who had a copy and trying to get him to make you a dub vs. clicking a link - you think dude would be getting 25,000 looks?

Yeah, but we'll never know will we? It isn't about who is better, it's about distribution, and people hearing your music.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

A rapper putting out a record with not much rapping on it in 2008=innovative.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Wale is innovative? Nah son I think you're sipping the juice. Look, I'm as open as the next man for new and innovative shit but Wale isn't innovative. He sounds like a poor man's Consequence. I'll give it to Kanye for trying to something different with "808s" even though in my opinion the it really missed the mark. But to call Cudi and Wale innovative is like to call Cool Kids innovative, when they're really not doing anything new.

The innovative comment was way more about Wayne, and Kanye. Wale, Cudi, Chip, and Drake are just fresh voices right now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Let's face facts - rap of this age is just not innovative music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    And who needs it to be? Honestly man. Misguided thread...

A rapper putting out a record with not much rapping on it in 2008=innovative.

Not really.

Rappers refusing to rap has been an annoying trend for close to a decade now.

For Faux Rillz, I really don't think you should be talking, because you clearly haven't listened to the dudes I posted up if you think it's college rap. If you want to further your missions to insult me,then fine, but take that shit to a seperate thread. I know that your fear of life keeps you shut in most of the time, but you're more disconnected than I could have ever imagined if you think any of that stuff is 'college rap'. But hey, being bald, old, and sexless since you were born does things to people that I wouldn't understand.

Touchy!

I wasn't talking about those dudes--I was referring to your own recorded efforts and those of the dudes you were always propping up on here until you discovered that Black people made rap music, too.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    And who needs it to be? Honestly man. Misguided thread...

It was an Outkast reference when I posted it originally "keep it in innovative and new with mad crazy bust your shit open beats," but it got sidetracked.

I feel like rap is doing better right now than it has in recent history. It seems like a few people disagree with that. Some people are into the examples I posted, some people are not.

Thanks.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    the dudes you were always propping up on here until you discovered that Black people made rap music, too.

This is the part that gets me though. Anticon, and UGK aren't mutually exclusive. Plus, what do you think I was listening to in middle school, and high school? Definitely not Anticon. I was bumping Outkast, Heltah Skeltah, I.M.P., Dre Dog, Wu Tang, et cetera. It's not like I just discovered hip hop, I'm as vested in it as anyone else on here I just go about it a little differently, and seem to catch endless ridicule for it (with you often playing the role of primary pitchfork barer).

The tracks that you're referring to were old as hell. I'm not ashamed of them, but they weren't accurate. One of them was a joke. Art comes out however it comes out. I'm not ashamed of any music I've made, but, here is a recording of me rapping more recently (for accuracy):

http://www.divshare.com/download/5705976-309

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I feel like rap is doing better right now than it has in recent history. It seems like a few people disagree with that. Some people are into the examples I posted, some people are not.

So far, I think most of the folks here have disagreed with your conclusion, even if they like the artists you've posted.

I'm not sure I care how rap is doing. I'm even less sure that the current crop of artists you've mentioned are doing anything different, other than simply following the trends.

Rap doing more or less well... there is always good and bad music. There are always people pushing boundaries, sometimes too far other times not enough. There is great commercial music, and boring underground music. And the other way around.

This is like you just read the "Freshman Class" issue of The Source and got really hyped.

And Young Phonics was actually agreeing with you.

This is like you just read the "Freshman Class" issue of The Source and got really hyped.

Hemol: a case study in the effectiveness of blog payola