Is rap killing it right now?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited February 2009 in Music Talk
None of this stuff is super recent but:Chip the Ripper's Money tape.Kid Cuddi's Kid Named Cuddi tape.Wale's Mixtape About Nothing.Drake's So Far Gone tape.I've been bumping all of these in rotation for the last week or so and feeling like a rap super hero walking around the city. These dudes are all on it, but just a little bit outside of what's expected. It's like they've dropped all the shitty baggage that rap picked up, and they're going for it big time. For me it's fulfilling music, big spiritual components, and they're mad good at what they do, but most importantly they're catching shine too.Anyone else feeling optimistic off of this? Or maybe just what's your opinion on rap lately, and the near future?

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    awful thread

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "I dont like rap -- what kinds of rap should i be listening to? thanx!!"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Why is it so hard for me to DL the Gucci Mane/Drama tape?

Other than the obvious...not so smart

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    None of this stuff is super recent but:

Chip the Ripper's Money tape.

Kid Cuddi's Kid Named Cuddi tape.

Wale's Mixtape About Nothing.

Drake's So Far Gone tape.

maybe its just me or maybe its the way these are written down but ive been laughing at the names of these. they sound like shit but im sure the mixes are just fine.

chip the ripper. kid named cuddi. just awful sounding. im sure dudes are good people (not that i care) but really this is the best they came up with?

hiphop makes me sad b/w im old as dirt and my ears are filled with gopher poop

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    At probably any point in rap history (or at least the last 10 or 12 years) you could point to four or five artists who were supposedly "saving hip-hop" from whatever was ailing/harming it. Four years ago fools were coming out of the woodwork saying "Little Brother is the truth!" Sure, I liked that first album, but it was simply "a good album." Not "a throwback to the Pete Rock era" or "anti-mainstream" or whatever.

You've found a handful of artists you like. Good for you. But don't act like your tastes are indicative of some paradigmatic shift in the world of hip-hop. For many, hip-hop has been killing it for the last five years.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Based on this evidence, I would have to say, no, rap is not killing it right now.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

my wife called me to the computer the other day saying she found an emcee on myspace that she really liked...

san quinn

i was proud.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    For many, hip-hop has been killing it for the last thirty[/b] years.

• escoeescoe 113 Posts

• I will download these.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i hope your avatar is responding to your post

• im sure dudes are good people (not that i care)

ha ha.

I've heard some of those names, but don't really know them besides that Nite and Day song. I guess I've gotten old.

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    you not diggin the jay eletronica?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    At probably any point in rap history (or at least the last 10 or 12 years) you could point to four or five artists who were supposedly "saving hip-hop" from whatever was ailing/harming it. Four years ago fools were coming out of the woodwork saying "Little Brother is the truth!" Sure, I liked that first album, but it was simply "a good album." Not "a throwback to the Pete Rock era" or "anti-mainstream" or whatever.

You've found a handful of artists you like. Good for you. But don't act like your tastes are indicative of some paradigmatic shift in the world of hip-hop. For many, hip-hop has been killing it for the last five years.

I didn't think I was acting like my tastes were indicative of anything more than being happy about rap right now. Hence the use of words like 'feeling'. All I did was post how I'm feeling, and ask if anyone else is feeling the same, and then further modify that statement to ask how people are feeling about rapping right now. So, should I assume that you've been feeling like rap music has been killing it for the last five years?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    awful thread

Due to presence of second poaster.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Based on this evidence, I would have to say, no, rap is not killing it right now.

To be perfectly frank, you and i have very different taste in rap music. But thanks for telling me your opinion.

• None of this stuff is super recent but:

I've been bumping all of these in rotation for the last week or so and feeling like a rap super hero walking around the city. These dudes are all on it, but just a little bit outside of what's expected. It's like they've dropped all the shitty baggage that rap picked up, and they're going for it big time. For me it's fulfilling music, big spiritual components, and they're mad good at what they do, but most importantly they're catching shine too.

Anyone else feeling optimistic off of this? Or maybe just what's your opinion on rap lately, and the near future?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

To be perfectly frank, you and i have very different taste in rap music. But thanks for telling me your opinion.

Thanks for being perfectly frank.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    plz ban hemol from posting about rapps

• For many, hip-hop has been killing it for the last thirty[/b] years.

always been killing it

life is too short > smells like teen spirit

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I actually like this. Well, about 75% of it. I played "November 18th" in the clurb and womens people were all asking what it was so they could cop/dl. Just saying.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "November 18th"

So far gone.. D/L Hughley

• I can't front, wale has joints and I like Cudi as a hook dude. If we're taking about these type of rap dudes I would recomend Blu, Fashawn, and Che Grand.

• I liked Kid Cudi's Day N Nite ok...i heard a mixtape joint he did that sampled Band Of Horses..it was horrendous as were a few other tracks.
    so many of these hipster rappers these days...i'm waiting for one of them to impress me.

in other news:
    I've heard some stuff from the new Doom record and it's sounding pretty solid.
    SS's finest Jake One did some work on it as well.

01 Supervillain Intro
    02 Gazillion Ear
    03 Ballskin
    04 Yessir [ft. Raekwon]
    05 Absolutely
    06 Rap Ambush
    07 Lightworks
    08 Batty-Boys
    09 Angelz [ft. Tony Starks]
    09 Cellz
    10 Still Dope [ft. Empress Sharhh]
    11 Microwave Mayo
    12 More Rhymin' [ft. Kurious]
    13 That's That
    14 Suppervillainz
    15 Bump's Message
    16 Thank Ya

• awful thread
    I must say, no one's killing anything right now as far as hip hop goes...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Let's revisit this thread when the new Clipse album drops.

• I like that Wale mixtape.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont know about u ADD muthafuskas, but im still digesting The Rennaisance.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Thanks for being perfectly frank.

I knew you'd be into that one.