Is rap killing it right now?

Comments

• I dont know about u ADD muthafuskas, but im still digesting The Rennaisance.
    Which Renaissance is that?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont know about u ADD muthafuskas, but im still digesting The Rennaisance.
    Which Renaissance is that?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For many, hip-hop has been killing it for the last thirty[/b] years.

always been killing it

life is too short > smells like teen spirit

I would say the last four or five years have been okay. I feel like the diversity really thinned out. I'm just wondering if anyone feels like things are a bit more vibrant right now. It seems like some rappers are really taking advantage of the possibilities. Kanye making 808s, Wayne doing whatever he wants, Jeezy telling people that they should save money.

The diversity of the voices out there right now just seems to make everything more exciting. I know for some of you dudes you're not interested in rappers that are deviating from a strict interpretation, but to me that kind of stuff keeps thing innovative and new.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

always been killing it

I would say the last four or five years have been okay. I feel like the diversity really thinned out. I'm just wondering if anyone feels like things are a bit more vibrant right now. It seems like some rappers are really taking advantage of the possibilities. Kanye making 808s, Wayne doing whatever he wants, Jeezy telling people that they should save money.

The diversity of the voices out there right now just seems to make everything more exciting. I know for some of you dudes you're not interested in rappers that are deviating from a strict interpretation, but to me that kind of stuff keeps thing innovative and new.

Is using an 808 that innovative?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

always been killing it

awful thread

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i took the time to clear my cookies so i could actually post that the moderators would do well to lock this thread from viewing

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

No, but making 808's and heartbreak was pretty innovative.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

No, but making 808's and heartbreak was pretty innovative.
    Please explain how that album was innovative.

• I think a lot of these guys are "different the same".

It seems like the most unorthodox thing one could do right now is make a great hip-hop record.

Not really feeling most of the stuff listed here, fwiw.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

It seems like the most unorthodox thing one could do right now is make a great hip-hop record.

You know, that's all I'm asking for. I'm not asking for much, just a GOOD HIP-HOP RECORD. Also, like I was laughing at those dudes here on some "If Freeway wants to stay relevant he should come on some Ron Browz shit. Come on with that shit - as if staying relevant means to be popular with 16 year olds.

• It seems like the most unorthodox thing one could do right now is make a great hip-hop record.

You know, that's all I'm asking for. I'm not asking for much, just a GOOD HIP-HOP RECORD. Also, like I was laughing at those dudes here on some "If Freeway wants to stay relevant he should come on some Ron Browz shit. Come on with that shit - as if staying relevant means to be popular with 16 year olds.

Wow, you should warn us before linking to that foolishness, I think my taste in music got worse with every three seconds I spent reading that. For the record this record IS coming out on Rhymesayers, which is one of the best run independent rap labels (or really indies of any kind) in the world. Atmosphere sells like thrice as many records as all of the media darling flavor of the minute bs that dudes on that board undoubtedly prop up. Free and Jake will do some really nice numbers in the high 70s to low 100s range and will both eat nicely and have complete freedom to make the LP that they want to make. Ron Browz? Seriously?

• For the record this record IS coming out on Rhymesayers, which is one of the best run independent rap labels (or really indies of any kind) in the world.

I think you just scared a majority of SoulStrut veterans from even giving this a chance.

I, on the other hand, would like to know a release date please.

• For the record this record IS coming out on Rhymesayers, which is one of the best run independent rap labels (or really indies of any kind) in the world.

I think you just scared a majority of SoulStrut veterans from even giving this a chance.

Yeah so be it. 90% of the so-called "veterans" on here have a very surface commitment to rap music. Shit will be out soon Mr. Hermsauce (like in the next six months) and you will love it.

Yeah so be it. 90% of the so-called "veterans" on here have a very surface commitment to rap music. Shit will be out soon Mr. Hermsauce (like in the next six months) and you will love it.

Well I guess this explains why the brakes were applied to Free's overdrive. Dude was dropping new songs almost every other day AFTER Month Of Madness ended! Granted, not all of 'em were produced by Jake, but I'm sure he decided to focus on getting this album done. I'm not mad at that.

For the record this record IS coming out on Rhymesayers, which is one of the best run independent rap labels (or really indies of any kind) in the world.

Why are your feelings always so hurt over things that nobody actually said or did, but that you imagine somebody might say or do?

And how is this behavior any different from the phenomenon you are always railing about of dudes trying to distance themselves from some phantom SoulStrut consensus?

I am very much looking forward to this record, btw.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I am with that. Rhymesayers also means we'll probably get a nice 2xLP.

• Hemol should write about rap for Pitchfork or The Village Voice. He's that confused.

• Who the F*ck doesn't like Freeway?

• I don't know about killing it, but this past 12 months I've picked up some of the best hiphop I???ve heard in a while. I think the purchases I made in the last year out weigh what I???ve bought in the last 4 years.

Juice Crew EP
    Lungbutters mix/ The Main Source 45
    EMC LP
    House of Reps- You Gotta Love Us 12"(the one Eclipse and Premier play on their shows all the time)
    Pete Rock CL Smooth- Back On the Block (Remix) 12" (the one on Bootleg Records )
    John Robinson/DOOM- Who Is This Man? (Probably the weakest outta the bunch, a couple nice joints on here. Too bad I've heard all the DOOM beats before though)

Anything the Soulstrut collective could recommend based on my purchases? What am I missing?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I posted the Rhymesayers comment because I thought it had a chance of coming out there and I mean, it is a bit odd going from Rocafella to Rhymesayers. I agree that it's probably one of the better options for Freeway and probably gives him a lot more options after this record.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I posted the Rhymesayers comment because I thought it had a chance of coming out there and I mean, it is a bit odd going from Rocafella to Rhymesayers.

Yet it's probably better than going from Rocafella to your mother's couch ala Neef.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    By which I mean that Neef has spent most of the post-State Prop era shacked up with Brian's mom.

• YOUNG NEEF: THE E-TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    better than anything mentioned in this thread:

Cole Boyz - Da Woodz (BAMA Remix) feat. ST from G-Side, Dirty, Lil Chappy & Fat Rat

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Cole Boyz - Da Woodz (BAMA Remix) feat. ST from G-Side, Dirty, Lil Chappy & Fat Rat

But at the end of the year what's it worth? I'm not saying I don't ride for this kind of music, but at some point it all just becomes a soundtrack to a hot minute. Cool to listen to, exciting while it's on, nothing to really come back to. On a related note I'm feeling E.S.G. Actin' Bad.

Phonics, didn't you just do a mix for Yancy Boys? I don't know why you're actin like your fusking taste in hip hop is worth something. Some dudes on here can throw shit like that around cause they actually work as critics, or they actually make records, but you're just an internet bozo chump change dj. Eat a dick you worm, and keep your shitty opinion on your myspace page.

I'll definitely check out the Freeway album.

But at the end of the year what's it worth? I'm not saying I don't ride for this kind of music, but at some point it all just becomes a soundtrack to a hot minute. Cool to listen to, exciting while it's on, nothing to really come back to. On a related note I'm feeling E.S.G. Actin' Bad.

Phonics, didn't you just do a mix for Yancy Boys? I don't know why you're actin like your fusking taste in hip hop is worth something. Some dudes on here can throw shit like that around cause they actually work as critics, or they actually make records, but you're just an internet bozo chump change dj. Eat a dick you worm, and keep your shitty opinion on your myspace page.

Yes, it's true--some college rock dude whining offbeat into a mic and calling it rap will have a more lasting effect, as it will scar all those who are subjected to it.

Leave rap alone, dude, the game does not need you.

And not that anybody needs any special credentials to speak on rap, but if you do subscribe to that belief, wouldn't a working DJ like Young Phonics be much better positioned to speak on it than you?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    some college rock dude whining offbeat into a mic and calling it rap will have a more lasting effect, as it will scar all those who are subjected to it.

BTW - Herm...I think you protesteth too much to think that people wouldn't check for a Freeway + Jake One rap album just b/c it's on Rhymesayers. I don't know anyone's snobbery that is so facile.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What's all this non-San Quinn talk going on up in this thread?

• OK. The Kid Cudi mixtape was ehhh ok. not terrible, not amazing. The Jay Electronica tape was really good. I wasn't really into the Gucci Mane tape, but I could see it growing on me. And while Rhymesayers puts out some really terrible music sometimes, it makes me no less excited for the prospect of a Jake One/Freeway album. Also, Rap is always killing it. It takes time to have perspective on things like whether something is "classic", but rap has never been all-together bad.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

But at the end of the year what's it worth? I'm not saying I don't ride for this kind of music, but at some point it all just becomes a soundtrack to a hot minute. Cool to listen to, exciting while it's on, nothing to really come back to.

Maybe it's worth someone enjoying the music at the time? The "search for the next illmatic" attitude is really tired. 99.9% of music released is not a classic. You listen, enjoy it or not, and then ultimately let it go. That's just how music is consumed.