/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121who actually cares?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Um, dudes on messageboards? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121forgot to mention young phonics bringin up TRIPLE P KUFI RAPS in my post
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121who actually cares?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Um, dudes on messageboards?
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" /1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121everyone is getting up in a lather over stuff and I'm just thinking "damn is this really worth arguing? Is this a priority to dudes?".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121who actually cares? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Um, dudes on messageboards? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121everyone is getting up in a lather over stuff and I'm just thinking "damn is this really worth arguing? Is this a priority to dudes?". b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121This is a priority to dudes.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It will be a priority for the next three hours and seven minutes I am at work.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Ooh, how can I be more like deej? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You should try--he made some excellent points in his poast. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Batmon's already knocked him with that having to "chase" after shit point.b,121b,121Using the internet to research mixtapes and spending $80 on limited pressing 12"s is some nerd shit.b,121b,121And here y'all are trying to lord the nerd juice you've acquired over people who live in the sticks. b,121b,121I'm not saying it's not rough where you are. I'm saying that real folks don't have the time nor the inclination to have to chase after their music. That's some white privilege shit. Used to be hip-hop was making due with what you already had in hand.b,121b,121I've always been someone to submerge myself in the rap going on in the city/state that I live in. That means I listen to a lot of locals. It's really just a taste thing. I like a certain strain of rap the best. That's just the way it is. And it's not like I'm still developing this taste. It's pretty much been the same since Boyz N the Hood and I Ain't Trippin. So point being, I've got my trusted sources and I'm not really in the business right now to be keeping track of stuff outside of that realm. If I hear something different that I like, I'm typically open to it. But I'm not one to buy a bunch of mixtapes, searching for the next big thing. That's what I have Rapid Ric and DJ Grip and clubs/bars for anyway.b,121b,121My thought has always been that regionalism should be embraced. One, because that's just the way it is. And two, because rivalries are healthy just as long as you understand the rules of the game. I hate New York with a passion. But I don't hate New York at all. Some of y'all get that and others not so much.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Im Art-Schooled
    really?

but im Black.....
    no it's more of a not bringing up the fact that you went to art school in a completely unrelated topic deal

i was just making fun of that dude from that other thread

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Im Art-Schooled
    really?

but im Black.....

You sure you don't just mean "SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS"?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Im Art-Schooled
    really?

but im Black.....

You sure you don't just mean "SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS"?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'll be the first to admit that New York radio is shit for the most part but mixshows are still okay... but isn't that the case across the country? Admittedly I don't really listen to radio that much. And dude is right XXL is not a barometer at all.

You know, I remarked twice today how you can still tune into Hot97 pretty much prime time and hear live mixing of classic hip-hop any given day. Now that may not be the same as hearing whatever cutting edge non-NY-based hip-hop record is burning up the underground but it's not something you can say for many cities in this country. I will randomly turn on the radio on the drive home and catch Flex going in on some 80s house, throwback rap stuff or even just Tunnel Classics and we all take that for granted I think.

I would love something like that.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah man like not too long ago I tuned into Hot 97 and it was Funkmaster Flex doing doubles of King Tee "Played Like A Piano" for about five minutes straight. At like 9:30. On a Friday. That shit is pretty much hard as F*ck, and that is the NORM actually.

That's what I'm saying.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    thats hot

related: power 92 in chicago just said they wont let their djs play house music or 'old school' (meaining like disco/house old school) any more

• thats hot

related: power 92 in chicago just said they wont let their djs play house music or 'old school' (meaining like disco/house old school) any more

they gotta stay relevant, that's what is most important.

Actually, what me and R***ie were talking about was that Chicago was probably the only other place where you might hear some old school (house though, not rap) on a prime time drive.

Wild

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn, I would bump that all the time if KMEL did it in the Bay.

Someone dig up that old post about how underappreciated Flex is by most underground/old-school dudes.

My mans always calls me up and says " Flex Is killin it right now.."

I put on the radio and he's rockin an album cut from PE's first album.

I take it for granted cause i grew up on the shit and sometimes I just cant take hearing "the Classics" anymore.

NYC is lucky to have a wealth of jams to rock like this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    thats hot

Hahaha, that combined with your avatar is killing right now dude.

• Yeah when I was in New York last I think it was Camillo(?) he was playing Craig Mack "Get Down" remix. I haven't heard that in a minute.

Our old school classics hour usually just plays HITS from the past 30 years. Nothing really surprising beyond the fact it's "old school".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I take it for granted cause i grew up on the shit and sometimes I just cant take hearing "the Classics" anymore.

It's one thing to be sick of the classics but it's another thing to be hearing them played in a classic way like Flex does, if that makes any sense.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think its important for radio to stay relevent but apparently that makes me a gap toothed internet youtuber nerd

• thats hot

Hahaha, that combined with your avatar is killing right now dude.

F*ck YOU DICKHEAD, I GOT BRACES!!!! NO HATERS PLEASE!

It's one thing to be sick of the classics but it's another thing to be hearing them played in a classic way like Flex does, if that makes any sense.

Oh no doubt.

I remember the same type of mixes back when. So for me its nostalgia/comfort food.

Flex will bring the beat back on certain joints that any DJ from '89 would have.

The entire package is good Hip Hop History.

• Let's face facts - rap of this age is just not innovative music.

the lines are much more blurred more now.
    r&b ( rap & bullshit ) POP

looking back, late 90s were so much better vs. todays new club crap.

t-pain, lil wayne, young this, lil that>>> if anything, its become sooo formulaic its just one big song. cadence. tone. beats. hooks> the chop n screw vocal hook ( marley marl based)

just saw that jim jones video... once again, money money money is the topic. come the F*ck on.

its crazy to me that after all rap has seen and done, cats on here really think terms such as "new" and "innovative" come to mind.

Some people need to read more and respond less. Complete sentences would be helpful too.

passive aggressive chat room behavior.

im sure your smart enough to read and comprehend my broken sentences....as you do your favorite rappers mispronounced lyrics. you must have a tough time as you listen along, theres so much to correct.

gosh darnit...im also not using capital letters. boy do i need some teachin'

some people, that being me... ?

seems your having trouble being direct...let me show you how its done homeboy.

eat a dick and shut the F*ck up.

Haha. Thank you for your thoughtful critique. Yeah, I'm a dick for calling you out on the fact that I can't comprehend what you're saying. I actually had to read your original post twice to know that it was indeed rubbish. If you look back at the previous two pages you'll find great responses to your flawed argument that old rap is superior to new rap because they don't talk about money. I would expect someone who's been around soulstrut for over four years to dismiss college freshman, suburb rap-loving logic because it's been criticized over and over and over. That's why, RAW HAMBURGER, you should start thinking about threads before you post in them.

zzzz.......yawwwwn. you done yet ?

not sure how old you are..you sound young, so logically you could never know what exactly the times of true innovation and hip hop from the heart was really about, simply because you were not there and you didnt live it.

maybe you should do what you had to do with my "rubbish" non comprehensive post,
    take another listen to the club crap death/coke/get money/F*ck the world rap thats running shit nowadays.

where did i say superior ? where did i say mcs back in the days werent talmbout getting money ?

i thought so.

these rap threads on soulstrut are so dead. like talking to a wall. why i got invovled....i do not know.

since this thread now seems to be about old vs new rap and the pursuit of money within. i will waste my time and post my thoughts about it.

diversity and innovation, which would cover original flow, style and new approaches to old ideas... i hear alot of clones, and hyped up garbage based on image, marketing and promotion.
    do you not ?

next.

eric b & rakim.

instead of just posting the image of paid in full to make the argument that old school mcs were on the get money shit too.......post the lyrics.

"now i learn to earn, cuz im righteous i feel great" ...

i dont hear an ounce of that today.

funny how such a righteous mc could get the respect of the biggest drug dealers and killers of that era...and never make ignorant records.

no talk of how much coke hes about to go sell, the bitches hes f*cking, the bodies hes bagging...you get what im saying...if you count the word "shit" he may have cursed once or twice on wax to get his point across. thats real style. when you can make a jam from the heart and still have it bang over 20 years later...now were talking.

all this formulaic garbage in the club and on the radio is so frail in comparison to the innovations and diversity that has already came and went. you have to be blind not to see this.

thanks clear channel. you have 1 or 2 extremely powerful radio djs (flex) who can basically do what ever he wants.

this is big business, based on tricks. which we know are for kids. im neither a trick nor kid.

im not talking about records being put out by stonesthrow...or the 5 decent mcs not doing this to make a dollar that happen to get lucky with cross over appeal.

seriously for all the shit that rises to the top....its all the same old pop bottles at the club, the whips, the frozen wrist and chains, the goons and guns..sex money murder shit everytime.

dont get it twisted
    i like ugk, 36 mafia, clipse, scarface and getto boys..its not about region for me...if its good music i like it. period. im not looking for the next illmatic...or the next death certificate, just something that moves me enough to actually care.

i guess when i see whats on the top of the billboard and whats currently banging in top 40 hip hop clubs it all sounds and looks the same...its depressing.

with akon songs like im so paid, i count my money blah blah blah..maybe im wrong in thinking its not diverse and innovative..( i seriously doubt it tho )

there really is no debate.

thinking back to 86,87,88 being in nyc in a time where the very thought of rap as a music itself was innovating.....and taping red alert and marleys shows, frantically back and forth on the dial, to hear the world premiers of aint no half steppin, risin to the top, biz, whodini, black rock and ron, run dmc, ultramag, kool g. rap and so many more truly dynamic artists, who were being themselves and maybe hoping they could make some money from it...yet never actually knew they could cuz the industry for it didnt exist...yet.
    therefore no real formula of commercial success was there to copy, just to get paid. the art was still coming from the heart.
    you could not come out sounding the same as who ever else was hot back then...you just couldnt.
    youd be overlooked and considered a wack ass biter.

yet, thats so acceptable today. who evers winning...sound like them, wash, rinse and repeat.

crack was just hitting then, so most mcs were just mcs...which we should all be able to agree is just not the case today.

to get excited about what some of yall consider to be todays new and innovative rap is pathetic to me.

im not wishing for a time machine, i could care less. its just a business now...a means to make money.

ive been over rap music for so long now. i dont buy ringtones.

music is our gauge for the social climate. shit is stale.

im done wasting my time posting here, in my spare time maybe ill check in and read about yall wasting your time.
    some of yall.... ill see in the real world.

i think its important for radio to stay relevent but apparently that makes me a gap toothed internet youtuber nerd

I disagree.

At this point The Radio isnt the leader like it was.

U think 16 year olds follow the radio?

Yes, there needs to be dudes pushing the envelope but to think that should be its top priority is crazy in these days of media monopolization and tech.

Let's face facts - rap of this age is just not innovative music.

the lines are much more blurred more now.
    r&b ( rap & bullshit ) POP

looking back, late 90s were so much better vs. todays new club crap.

t-pain, lil wayne, young this, lil that>>> if anything, its become sooo formulaic its just one big song. cadence. tone. beats. hooks> the chop n screw vocal hook ( marley marl based)

just saw that jim jones video... once again, money money money is the topic. come the F*ck on.

its crazy to me that after all rap has seen and done, cats on here really think terms such as "new" and "innovative" come to mind.

Some people need to read more and respond less. Complete sentences would be helpful too.

passive aggressive chat room behavior.

im sure your smart enough to read and comprehend my broken sentences....as you do your favorite rappers mispronounced lyrics. you must have a tough time as you listen along, theres so much to correct.

gosh darnit...im also not using capital letters. boy do i need some teachin'

some people, that being me... ?

seems your having trouble being direct...let me show you how its done homeboy.

eat a dick and shut the F*ck up.

Haha. Thank you for your thoughtful critique. Yeah, I'm a dick for calling you out on the fact that I can't comprehend what you're saying. I actually had to read your original post twice to know that it was indeed rubbish. If you look back at the previous two pages you'll find great responses to your flawed argument that old rap is superior to new rap because they don't talk about money. I would expect someone who's been around soulstrut for over four years to dismiss college freshman, suburb rap-loving logic because it's been criticized over and over and over. That's why, RAW HAMBURGER, you should start thinking about threads before you post in them.

zzzz.......yawwwwn. you done yet ?

not sure how old you are..you sound young, so logically you could never know what exactly the times of true innovation and hip hop from the heart was really about, simply because you were not there and you didnt live it.

maybe you should do what you had to do with my "rubbish" non comprehensive post,
    take another listen to the club crap death/coke/get money/F*ck the world rap thats running shit nowadays.

where did i say superior ? where did i say mcs back in the days werent talmbout getting money ?

i thought so.

these rap threads on soulstrut are so dead. like talking to a wall. why i got invovled....i do not know.

since this thread now seems to be about old vs new rap and the pursuit of money within. i will waste my time and post my thoughts about it.

diversity and innovation, which would cover original flow, style and new approaches to old ideas... i hear alot of clones, and hyped up garbage based on image, marketing and promotion.
    do you not ?

next.

eric b & rakim.

instead of just posting the image of paid in full to make the argument that old school mcs were on the get money shit too.......post the lyrics.

"now i learn to earn, cuz im righteous i feel great" ...

i dont hear an ounce of that today.

funny how such a righteous mc could get the respect of the biggest drug dealers and killers of that era...and never make ignorant records.

no talk of how much coke hes about to go sell, the bitches hes f*cking, the bodies hes bagging...you get what im saying...if you count the word "shit" he may have cursed once or twice on wax to get his point across. thats real style. when you can make a jam from the heart and still have it bang over 20 years later...now were talking.

all this formulaic garbage in the club and on the radio is so frail in comparison to the innovations and diversity that has already came and went. you have to be blind not to see this.

thanks clear channel. you have 1 or 2 extremely powerful radio djs (flex) who can basically do what ever he wants.

this is big business, based on tricks. which we know are for kids. im neither a trick nor kid.

im not talking about records being put out by stonesthrow...or the 5 decent mcs not doing this to make a dollar that happen to get lucky with cross over appeal.

seriously for all the shit that rises to the top....its all the same old pop bottles at the club, the whips, the frozen wrist and chains, the goons and guns..sex money murder shit everytime.

dont get it twisted
    i like ugk, 36 mafia, clipse, scarface and getto boys..its not about region for me...if its good music i like it. period. im not looking for the next illmatic...or the next death certificate, just something that moves me enough to actually care.

i guess when i see whats on the top of the billboard and whats currently banging in top 40 hip hop clubs it all sounds and looks the same...its depressing.

with akon songs like im so paid, i count my money blah blah blah..maybe im wrong in thinking its not diverse and innovative..( i seriously doubt it tho )

there really is no debate.

thinking back to 86,87,88 being in nyc in a time where the very thought of rap as a music itself was innovating.....and taping red alert and marleys shows, frantically back and forth on the dial, to hear the world premiers of aint no half steppin, risin to the top, biz, whodini, black rock and ron, run dmc, ultramag, kool g. rap and so many more truly dynamic artists, who were being themselves and maybe hoping they could make some money from it...yet never actually knew they could cuz the industry for it didnt exist...yet.
    therefore no real formula of commercial success was there to copy, just to get paid. the art was still coming from the heart.
    you could not come out sounding the same as who ever else was hot back then...you just couldnt.
    youd be overlooked and considered a wack ass biter.

yet, thats so acceptable today. who evers winning...sound like them, wash, rinse and repeat.

crack was just hitting then, so most mcs were just mcs...which we should all be able to agree is just not the case today.

to get excited about what some of yall consider to be todays new and innovative rap is pathetic to me.

im not wishing for a time machine, i could care less. its just a business now...a means to make money.

ive been over rap music for so long now. i dont buy ringtones.

music is our gauge for the social climate. shit is stale.

im done wasting my time posting here, in my spare time maybe ill check in and read about yall wasting your time.
    some of yall.... ill see in the real world.

I wont go there. There's still good Hip Hop being made.
    Well never progress if we continue to hold on to the "Golden Age".

This is the problem. There too much shit in t he field to hatt the game beacuse of Billboard/BET/&The Club. Hip Hop always survived w/out these venues.

If your from the time of "Innovative Rap" u should still have the EAR to know when new cats bring something "new".

And for all the dudes that get bigged up in the "Golden Age", they were expanding on styles done before them. Alot of Golden age styles were Fathered in the 70's, so the whole "New & Innovative" claim for the mid/late 80's is ALMOST the same.

PS. Eric B.'s Street Cred helped Rakim persona. Putting Alpo & 50 Cent on the back cover was an obvious reference to the Drug Game. Isolating the Lyrics is too sterile an approach..IMO.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    RAW HAMBURGER's brain is leaking

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I disagree.

At this point The Radio isnt the leader like it was.

U think 16 year olds follow the radio?

Yes, there needs to be dudes pushing the envelope but to think that should be its top priority is crazy in these days of media monopolization and tech.
    if anything it seems like media monopolization is losing most of its teeth in the internet age