NBA PLAYOFFS'08 ALL CAPS EDITION

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You don't just happen to lose 4 playoff games through bad calls, miscues, and luck.

Even last night, even as they kept it close, Phoenix was always a step behind.

D'Antoni cannot think on his feet; big man can grab a board but he mainly just clogs the lane and can't flip any of his old moves or hooks; Nash is a shadow of his former self and more importantly is severely lacking sack. I knew it was over when Parker blew right by him in one of the first sequences.

BYE BYE

FIRE KERR
    they probably would of lost without that trade too man.

Maybe, maybe not; there was certainly no way they were winning with it. Their problems are now much larger than one first-round exit, though, since Shaq's contract ruins them for the remainder of Nash's prime.

I really don't have words for the anger and contempt I feel for Kerr and what he did to the team.

I'm not getting this on many levels.

1. Why are you driven to the point of anger? Aren't you a Hawks/Knicks fan?

2. Nash and prime are no longer seeing eye to eye. When point guards make a living being clever little devils, they unfold in ugly fashion when they continue to persist on trying to be clever past the point when they are no longer able to pull off clever. Nash, both for his own benefit as well as his team's benefit, needs to go back to the basics and quit trying to do so much of his now-definitely-lame-ass spastic shit.

3. What did Kerr do besides bring in Shaq for Marion? Wasn't Marion on his way out anyway? D'Antoni is the guy you should be mad at, if anyone. Plus, what happened to Barbosa?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    woah, the Suns totally blew it again. drag.

mylatency, here is your new avatar for the month of May.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You don't just happen to lose 4 playoff games through bad calls, miscues, and luck.

D'Antoni cannot think on his feet; big man can grab a board but he mainly just clogs the lane and can't flip any of his old moves or hooks; Nash is a shadow of his former self and more importantly is severely lacking sack. I knew it was over when Parker blew right by him in one of the first sequences.

BYE BYE

FIRE KERR

Maybe, maybe not; there was certainly no way they were winning with it. Their problems are now much larger than one first-round exit, though, since Shaq's contract ruins them for the remainder of Nash's prime.

I really don't have words for the anger and contempt I feel for Kerr and what he did to the team.

2. Nash and prime are no longer seeing eye to eye. When point guards make a living being clever little devils, they unfold in ugly fashion when they continue to persist on trying to be clever past the point when they are no longer able to pull off clever. Nash, both for his own benefit as well as his team's benefit, needs to go back to the basics and quit trying to do so much of his now-definitely-lame-ass spastic shit.

3. What did Kerr do besides bring in Shaq for Marion? Wasn't Marion on his way out anyway? D'Antoni is the guy you should be mad at, if anyone. Plus, what happened to Barbosa?

No, I am not a Hawks/Knicks fan. My loyalties shift with the team rosters. Phoenix has been a favorite for the past four years.

Marion wasn't going anywhere. Dude has been ass-hurt for the entire window of the Sun's contention and it never proved insurmountable before. As JimBeam has already pointed out, he would have been playing for a contract this go-round, and that contract would ultimately have been with the Suns; he certainly wasn't getting the raise he felt he deserved elsewhere.

BYE BYE

FIRE KERR

No, I am not a Hawks/Knicks fan. My loyalties shift with the team rosters. Phoenix has been a favorite for the past four years.

Marion wasn't going anywhere. Dude has been ass-hurt for the entire window of the Sun's contention and it never proved insurmountable before. As JimBeam has already pointed out, he would have been playing for a contract this go-round, and that contract would ultimately have been with the Suns; he certainly wasn't getting the raise he felt he deserved elsewhere.

I can't get past that you ride for the Suns...yuck and a half.

And with Duncan still being Duncan and now Tony Parker being the dynamo that he has become (don't even have to mention Manu here as more than yet another solid role player on the Spurs' roster)...in other words, the Spurs just might have improved from last year...

I don't see the combination of Nash falling off a bit, Barbosa disappearing, Diaw not completely being ready for prime time, and D'Antoni being a general bonehead being overcome with Marion fighting through injuries enough to have their overall team deterioation actually beating the Spurs this time around.

I mean, you watched the games, right? For too many strecthes, the Spurs completely owned the Suns. It wasn't even close.

• Jeez. Do we have to quote the whole argument everytime you two??

And if you are gonna cap on Josh, be funny like my man Fish from www.dallasbasketball.com:

Buried in the humiliation of being a seven-seed that played worse than one is the fact that in G5 the Mavs actually came back from a 17-point deficit in the final seven minutes to make it a one-possession game. That???s a credit to the likes of Dirk Nowitzki (a 22-point, 13-rebound night wasted), and unlikely hero Devean George. George was on the floor for the comeback and scored 11 in the final quarter in place of Josh Howard, who was presumably off somewhere smelling the colors of the Bayou.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Nash is a shadow of his former self and more importantly is severely lacking sack. I knew it was over when Parker blew right by him in one of the first sequences.

Nash is still one of the premier shooting PG's in the league (if ever). It's not his fault the offense is out of wack.

I knew it was over when Parker blew right by him in one of the first sequences.

Let's not act like this is something new for the Phoenix Suns as an organization.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    NASH FELL OFF

DEAL WITH IT

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    in other words, the Spurs just might have improved from last year...

One way they've definitely improved is via the Kurt Thomas pickup. I'm loving that for sure. And Parker is ballin' outta control like it's still last season's Finals.

This SA-NO series is gonna be some seriously good basketball.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    makes me think they have a 20% chance to pull off something crazy.

You forgot to put the decimal point between the "2" and the "0"

• The Hornets are a good, young and athletic team w/ some solid bench players. I know I seriously underrated them. I was not knowin'. I still think the Spurs will take it but I won't be surprised if they don't. The Mavs have a way of making teams look like super-ballers and I'm sure the Janerro Pargos of the world won't be able to go bonkers against the Spurs' D.

• makes me think they have a 20% chance to pull off something crazy.

WHATEVER MAN, I KNOW YOU ARE MAKING DIAMONDS OVER THERE....ALL GRIPPIN' ON TONIGHT'S GAME.

WHAT ARE JOSH JOE AND ZAZA GONNA DO NEXT?

BRING THE SWAG!!!!!!!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Suns with Marion probably get swept or win 1 game

Suns with Marion kills the teams future

Suns will always lose to Spurs because Nash can't play defense

Nash has no idea how to play with a big man.

Nash deserves more blame than Kerr and D'antoni ..terrible in game 1 ...more terrible last night

Leave the team alone ...all the big contracts have only one year left anyway.

Run and Gun has never won a championship and never will

New Orleans in 7 ....New Orleans in Six if the refs allow Chandler to be aggressive

When New Orleans kicks Spurs ass D'antoni probably loses job

Spurs aren't great anymore....they just make open shots...and they were open entire series

Spurs players whine too much...refs aren't buying flops as much

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

I can't get past that you ride for the Suns...yuck and a half.

eh, i think faux rillz and i are similar in that it was more of a fandom based on concepts more so than any specific player. It was like the version of last year's Golden State that could have actually worked.
    But that awful, awful trade.

there's a good article on truehoop that explains some of it today.

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop
    They didn't lose because the key cogs of the D'Antoni's offensive masterpiece fell short and they didn't get screwed over by referees or the League.

They lost because they were no longer them.

A lot has been made of the Shaquille O'Neal trade and how Shawn Marion was their best defender. Nash now had a crowded paint he could no longer hover in before making perfect passes. They got older and slower and lost the reckless fun that made them the Suns.

Shaq did a decent job on Duncan. Shaq blocked and altered shots, pulled down boards and kept up with a tamer Suns' offense. But he took their identity. He took one of the most beautiful teams in the league, a team that spawned the insanity in Golden State, and the "outscore all" mentality in Denver, and he ripped away their essence.

Last night, Steve Nash had his first assist in the third quarter.

Read that line again. Steve. Nash.

Amare deferred to Boris frickin' Diaw in crunch time. And you know why? Because Diaw had the height advantage. The Suns were playing match-ups -- the antithesis of themselves. The Suns were playing matchups! I almost threw up on my TV.

(although i disagree that they spawned the insanity in golden state. don nelson made nash capable of the run & gun in dallas, he's been doing it forever, and i think that d'antoni built upon concepts already established in nash's skill set. as for the w's, nelson has just taken the philosophy to the level of near-insanity now by doing the same thing with a lanky center and four shooting guards on the floor.)

makes me think they have a 20% chance to pull off something crazy.

WHATEVER MAN, I KNOW YOU ARE MAKING DIAMONDS OVER THERE....ALL GRIPPIN' ON TONIGHT'S GAME.

WHAT ARE JOSH JOE AND ZAZA GONNA DO NEXT?

BRING THE SWAG!!!!!!!
    soi sounds like you during round one of last year.

Suns with Marion probably get swept or win 1 game

When New Orleans kicks Spurs ass D'antoni probably loses job

the series was a lot closer last year with marion than it was this year, without him.

he probably already has lost his job
    Jack McCallum of Sports Illustrated: "Mike D'Antoni, the NBA's Coach of the Year for the 2004-05 season and the man credited with reinvigorating fast-break basketball in a league gone stale, will not be back to coach the Phoenix Suns for the 2008-09 season, SI.com has learned. ... One landing spot for him would seem to be Chicago, where general manager John Paxson has not yet replaced Jim Boylan, who himself replaced Scott Skiles (now in charge in Milwaukee). The Bulls underachieved this season under both coaches but would seem to have the kind of offensive nucleus (Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich, Andres Nocioni) with which D'Antoni could build. One other possibility is New York, where new president Donnie Walsh is taking his time making a head-coaching decision despite speculation that the hiring of former point guard Marc Jackson is a done deal. There has also been whispers of D'Antoni's taking over in Toronto, where Sam Mitchell's coaching future is an ongoing discussion and where Bryan Colangelo, D'Antoni's former boss in Phoenix and still a close friend, is calling the shots. But Toronto doesn't seem as comfortable a fit for D'Antoni as Chicago or even New York. Don't look for that to happen."

NASH FELL OFF

DEAL WITH IT

This is incorrect. He lost Marion, a superior do-it-all wing man, along with his run and gun offense, which he works best in. He fell off, not because of his individual talents, but because the system changed completely.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    QUIT TRYING TO JUSTIFY A WEAK PERFORMANCE WITH BIG WORDS AND COMPLICATED LOGIC. SAVE THAT SHIT FOR RISE ABOVE. WE ARE IN THE CAPS-LOCK DAYS AND TIMES. NASH IS LACKING IN SACKITUDE. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. DEAL.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    TEAMATES, NOT SACKITUDE

QUIT TRYING TO JUSTIFY A WEAK PERFORMANCE WITH BIG WORDS AND COMPLICATED LOGIC. SAVE THAT SHIT FOR RISE ABOVE. WE ARE IN THE CAPS-LOCK DAYS AND TIMES. NASH IS LACKING IN SACKITUDE. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. DEAL.

Seriously, so what explains not being able to work the pick and roll with Anmare at the end of the game when the Suns needed it to work most? That's been the team's bread and butter, right? So who's fault is it besides Nash's that the pass came in at Amare's ankles?

Or how about when Robert Horry just swiped the ball away from Nash's dribble? Was that somehow Steve Kerr's fault?

SHARKFIN, SPILLS & NASH

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

Seriously, so what explains not being able to work the pick and roll with Anmare at the end of the game when the Suns needed it to work most? That's been the team's bread and butter, right? So who's fault is it besides Nash's that the pass came in at Amare's ankles?

Or how about when Robert Horry just swiped the ball away from Nash's dribble? Was that somehow Steve Kerr's fault?

SHARKFIN, SPILLS & NASH

The fact that there wasn't many other options and they keyed on that play - Amare had three guys within a foot of him during that play.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I'm just giddy that my team is relevant again, and should be for years to come. Here's hoping 76ers/Pistons is pushed to game 7.

• WE ARE IN THE CAPS-LOCK DAYS AND TIMES.

Haha. Best shit in the NBA thread all year.

TRUST ME ON THIS. BUT HOW DOES ONE MEASURE SACKTITUDE?

DOES T-MAC LACK SACKTITUDE UNDER THIS CRITERIA?

WE ARE IN THE CAPS-LOCK DAYS AND TIMES.

Haha. Best shit in the NBA thread all year.

I BEEN DOING THIS SHIT SINCE PRE-SEASON BITCHES.[/b]

SHARKFIN, SPILLS & NASH

The fact that there wasn't many other options and they keyed on that play - Amare had three guys within a foot of him during that play.

Then don't risk the pass, Nash (not Kerr).

YALL ARE TALKING ALL KINDS OF IRRELEVANT NONSENSE. GENE, YOU NEED TO QUIT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A SACK LEFT. PARGO HAS STEPPED UP HIS GAME SUBSTANTIALLY SINCE HIS SHORT STAY IN LOS ANGELES. HE IS A BALLER. WHERE WAS JOSH HOWARD?!

JIMBEAM AND FAUX RILLZ. "MY LOYALTIES SHIFT WITH TEAM ROSTERS". FUCK OUTTA HERE. WEAKEST SHIT EVER.

S (plural)

p.s. Lakers are situated nicely. Come join me.

TRUST ME ON THIS. BUT HOW DOES ONE MEASURE SACKTITUDE?

hold a ruler up and tell us kobe's measurements.

• GENE, YOU NEED TO QUIT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A SACK LEFT.

PLEASE. I BEEN TALKIN' DUMB SHIT SINCE YOU WERE IN SHORT PANTS.

WHERE WAS JOSH HOWARD?!

presumably off somewhere smelling the colors of the Bayou.

• Seems as if Cuban already fired Avery. It's on ESPN.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    YALL ARE TALKING ALL KINDS OF IRRELEVANT NONSENSE. GENE, YOU NEED TO QUIT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A SACK LEFT. PARGO HAS STEPPED UP HIS GAME SUBSTANTIALLY SINCE HIS SHORT STAY IN LOS ANGELES. HE IS A BALLER. WHERE WAS JOSH HOWARD?!

JIMBEAM AND FAUX RILLZ. "MY LOYALTIES SHIFT WITH TEAM ROSTERS". FUCK OUTTA HERE. WEAKEST SHIT EVER.

S (plural)

p.s. Lakers are situated nicely. Come join me.

FLAGRANT CORNINESS