NBA PLAYOFFS'08 ALL CAPS EDITION

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    gilbert shuts it down for the remaining playoff games.

Your use of "shuts it down" in the Ebonics context is incorrect. Just thought I'd point that out. Peace.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    and is t. duncan gonna guard t. chandler or d. west?

i like new orleans' chances.

I would guess Duncan on West and Oberto/Thomas dealing w/ Chandler. They'll have more success keeping that dude in check than the Mavs did.

Hmmm, I would've said the opposite. Put Duncan on Chandler, who is a pretty one-dimensional offensive player. The biggest job there is to keep him off the offensive glass, which could be a problem when Duncan gives help on D, but generally, Chandler's not gonna tax him that hard, leaving Duncan plenty of energy to go to work on the offensive end. Plus, West is more likely than Chandler to stick fouls on Duncan, and the Spurs definitely don't want Duncan getting in foul trouble.

Meanwhile, Krazy-Eyes Kurt can beat up on West a little bit, make him work a bit harder than the Mavs did. West is probably gonna get his because he's a fuckin' beast right now, but Thomas is a tough defender in his own right, and West's points won't come easy.

But I can definitely see the Spurs putting Duncan on West if West starts going off--or even just to change up the defensive look.

• and is t. duncan gonna guard t. chandler or d. west?

I would guess Duncan on West and Oberto/Thomas dealing w/ Chandler. They'll have more success keeping that dude in check than the Mavs did.

Hmmm, I would've said the opposite. Put Duncan on Chandler, who is a pretty one-dimensional offensive player. The biggest job there is to keep him off the offensive glass, which could be a problem when Duncan gives help on D, but generally, Chandler's not gonna tax him that hard, leaving Duncan plenty of energy to go to work on the offensive end. Plus, West is more likely than Chandler to stick fouls on Duncan, and the Spurs definitely don't want Duncan getting in foul trouble.

Meanwhile, Krazy-Eyes Kurt can beat up on West a little bit, make him work a bit harder than the Mavs did. West is probably gonna get his because he's a fuckin' beast right now, but Thomas is a tough defender in his own right, and West's points won't come easy.

But I can definitely see the Spurs putting Duncan on West if West starts going off--or even just to change up the defensive look.

I agree w/ your analysis of Chandler. I just thought Oberto/Thomas might have the energy/fouls to deal w/ keeping Chandler off the offensive glass, because that is where he will KILL you. The Mavs basically ceded a lot of those plays by sticking Dirk on Chandler. Once it was apparent that Damps could do ntohing out there, they had to put Bass on West, and he was effective in stretches.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

West is gonna two-finger slap Timmy!

• I think that qualifies as restraint.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    You have to like the Pistons if it goes 7 which I think it will. Been liking this series.

i like the sixers but they lack a superstar.

iguadola has been exposed as a limited, stackhouse type player. he can score and finish but his jumper is streaky, he can't consistently hit 3s, and he can get to the basket, but not with an arsenal of moves.

andre miller is a great pg but he's not athletic enough to take over a game, so that restricts him from being a real go to player, especially without the height of someone like magic, or a decent 3 point game.

the sixers could pull out game 6 but probably not the series.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    also, quick plug...

if anyone wants to buy 2 lower level tix for Game 6 tomorrow, pm me, i will probably let them go for right around face value, even though i paid a lot more a few days ago.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm sorry but Jeff Van Gundy should've never been a head coach. He has no idea how to coach offense on a team. That's why he should be a life long assistant.

I have my issues with Van Gundy but he did pretty good with some average teams....He's a good defensive coach...he's familar with the division and i think Cuban will play it safe with his choice......The Mavs are going to score points no matter who coaches the team.

Not with Van Gundy they wouldn't. Here is Van Gundy's only offensive play. Walk the ball up court. Kick it to a man in the post. Stand around and waste time on the clock, praying for a basket. Repeat. Hey, maybe he'll force Dirk to play in the paint then!?! Of maybe Dampier!

I would disagree. West seems more like a face the basket/jump shot player, while Chandler is mostly all hustle and dunks, puts backs. Chandler is more likely to create fouls, which means you need to keep Duncan off of him.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im still not sold on the Hornets.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I would disagree. West seems more like a face the basket/jump shot player, while Chandler is mostly all hustle and dunks, puts backs. Chandler is more likely to create fouls, which means you need to keep Duncan off of him.

Good point. And GeneP made a good one, too, about Thomas/Oberto having the energy/fouls to keep Chandler off the glass (and away from the lob passes). My first instinct may have been the wrong call here.

The other big question is who guards Paul. Parker will have to do it for a while, but I imagine they'll stick Bowen on him at some point as well, maybe even Ginobili.

The other big question is who guards Paul. Parker will have to do it for a while, but I imagine they'll stick Bowen on him at some point as well, maybe even Ginobili.

Pop is not gonna let one dude have that assisgnment. He'll give Paul different defensive looks like u said. Paul is gonna get his regardless.

I think the Hornets-Spurs is going to be a great series. I gotta say though, the Spurs are looking like a machine right now, just like last year, so I'm picking them to beat the Hornets in the end.

I think the Hornets-Spurs is going to be a great series. I gotta say though, the Spurs are looking like a machine right now, just like last year, so I'm picking them to beat the Hornets in the end.

• I think the Hornets-Spurs is going to be a great series. I gotta say though, the Spurs are looking like a machine right now, just like last year, so I'm picking them to beat the Hornets in the end.

Double co-sine.

The Spurs are mystifying. It's like the laws of nature don't apply to them. They don't age. They have no troubles matching up w/ young, athletic teams. I said it way back in the old thread and I'm still stickin' to it: look for them to take it all.

Double co-sine.

The Spurs are mystifying. It's like the laws of nature don't apply to them. They don't age. They have no troubles matching up w/ young, athletic teams. I said it way back in the old thread and I'm still stickin' to it: look for them to take it all.

think theyll son the Lakers if they meet?

• think theyll son the Lakers if they meet?

Like you and the Nuggs....yes!

I'm viewing the Lakers as they are at this point. Even if Bynum *does* come back, how much can he bring to the table (young player/long layoff)?

So yeah, I think they can take Kobe/Pau/Odom. Shit, I'm wondering how the Spurs had seasons where they *didn't* win rings. (Kobe/Shaq/Phillip...I know....oh and the Mavs once! )

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I'm sorry but Jeff Van Gundy should've never been a head coach. He has no idea how to coach offense on a team. That's why he should be a life long assistant.

I have my issues with Van Gundy but he did pretty good with some average teams....He's a good defensive coach...he's familar with the division and i think Cuban will play it safe with his choice......The Mavs are going to score points no matter who coaches the team.

Not with Van Gundy they wouldn't. Here is Van Gundy's only offensive play. Walk the ball up court. Kick it to a man in the post. Stand around and waste time on the clock, praying for a basket. Repeat. Hey, maybe he'll force Dirk to play in the paint then!?! Of maybe Dampier!

On second thought...you're right ......I'm reminded of those Rocket teams being lost as hell on offense.....I stand corrected

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Double co-sine.

So i'm the only person taking the Hornets ? New Orleans is the truth people. Spurs are done

• My picking of the Spurs has nothing to do w/ how I regard the Hornets, more how I regard the Spurs. It'll be great for NOLA and the young Hornets if they pull off the upset. They do have home-court and everything....

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    To me...when it comes to basketball, yuichi seems more informed than either of faux or jimbeam.

To me...when it comes to basketball, yuichi seems more informed than either of faux or jimbeam.
    yeah, he probably is. with totally substantive commentary like "Kidd didn't underachieve. He was handed the keys to a very dynamic team that was still finding its identity " which has layers upon layers of objective meaning, we are all but knaves in the kingdom of lil' yuki's tomes.

"Dynamic" (meaning their offense of the last few years was the most versatile one in the L; learning the nuances is tough) and "Still finding its identity" (meaning, they had to make huge adjustments in few games) is key. Read closely lil Abbott (no rza).

Mavericks offense has not been dynamic over the past couple of years. They have no go-to post player for the 4th quarter (including Dirk). Their offense consists of the following:

--ignore luxury tax and overpay for talent while ignoring chemistry. Jamison, Dampier, Walker, Finley, Howard, Terry, Stackhouse, Kidd, Nash, etc. Some of the most tepid screens this playoffs came from this Mavericks team. No one diving on the floor, taking charges--you know the deal.

--Devin Harris was the closest thing this team had as a bridge between older talent and a chance to be relevant for the next few years, and they blew that.

--this team consistently shoots jumpers in the half-court set, which is part of why they made it to the Finals before the Suns did.

--Only Brandon Bass is not afraid to consistently play defense on this team. Thought he was nice coming out of LSU, and just needed to find the right situation.

Yuichi has a little basketball game and knowledge, but it reads more like fantasy blogging than actually paying attention to what happens on the floor.

Mavericks offense has not been dynamic over the past couple of years. They have no go-to post player for the 4th quarter (including Dirk). Their offense consists of the following:

A non-"dynamic" offense get 50+ wins for 5 years str8?

The weak Post play is a glaring deficiency but they still managed to get by.

The Spurs define anti-dynamic and manage to get by. It's not an either/or situation.

• Mavericks offense has not been dynamic over the past couple of years. They have no go-to post player for the 4th quarter (including Dirk). Their offense consists of the following:

The Spurs define anti-dynamic and manage to get by. It's not an either/or situation.

No, you did qualify with "last couple of years" and I think it's apt to say the offense was not dynamic under Avery.

I might quibble a bit w/ the "overpaying for talent" part. They got a good deal for Stack and Devin. They probably shouldn'tve re-upped Stack, in hindsight. I think the deal they signed Jet to is managable though. And also, people are talking about Nash wearing down and that is *exactly* the reason Cuban did not match the Phoenix deal because he felt the years were too many. I don't feel like they've overpaid anyone since Damps, they just made some bad moves putting too much faith in some over-the-hill guys.

Now, they probably did overpay to acquire J Kidd. They got scurred. Avery and Kidd never really finding a "happy place" did not help that situation much either.

Arent we talkin about the Mavs?

Good points all-around. I think where the Suns and Mavericks both slipped a bit was not trusting the draft more. When the Mavericks did, they generally turned out to be in better shape--Josh Howard being the prime example. The Suns decimated many chances to have a great bench by not trying to grow their talent base--imagine keeping Deng in '04 or the players (Jefferson, Kevin Martin, Josh Smith) or '03 (David West, Josh Howard) or '05 (Monta Ellis). With some shrewd drafting, this could've been their roster:

PG--Nash, Rando
    SG--Bell, Martin, Ellis
    SF--Marion, Josh Howard
    PF--Stoudemire, Diaw
    C--Jefferson

Both teams commitment to win now has been a disaster for both teams.

Sure. We're also talking about teams that don't play with a fast-break/fluid/dynamic style. The point being: you don't have to play at that pace to get real (i.e. championship) results. If you're satisfied with the regular season wins and frustration in the playoffs, then this team is for you.

Sure. We're also talking about teams that don't play with a fast-break/fluid/dynamic style. The point being: you don't have to play at that pace to get real (i.e. championship) results. If you're satisfied with the regular season wins and frustration in the playoffs, then this team is for you.

Dude, the Dallas team that went against Miami in the Finals were NOT a Stickly Run-N-Gun team. We might have different ideas of what constitutes Dynamism.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Atlanta looks lucky to be down only fifteen.

The block-of-the-fastbreak-layup is one of my favorite plays in basketball. Josh Smith is a freak.