The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    A minor but significant flaw in episode 4. No rational person who is a target of a criminal investigation -- let alone a high-profile politician -- would walk into a grand jury room without an attorney like Clay Davis did. It simply does not happpen in the modern age.

Sorry Johnn Cochran, but you aren't allowed to have an attorney with you in the grand jury room. they have to wait outside. you can excuse yourself to ask your attorney questions though.

I stand corrected. But I think the Clay Davis scene was played a bit too overdramatic. Clay knew he was a target of investigation, and in real life would have come to the proceedings with an attorney who would have advised him to invoke the 5th at the outset. Instead of acting like he was blindsided and didn't know what was coming.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    A minor but significant flaw in episode 4. No rational person who is a target of a criminal investigation -- let alone a high-profile politician -- would walk into a grand jury room without an attorney like Clay Davis did. It simply does not happpen in the modern age.

Sorry Johnn Cochran, but you aren't allowed to have an attorney with you in the grand jury room. they have to wait outside. you can excuse yourself to ask your attorney questions though.

I stand corrected. But I think the Clay Davis scene was played a bit too overdramatic. Clay knew he was a target of investigation, and in real life would have come to the proceedings with an attorney who would have advised him to invoke the 5th at the outset. Instead of acting like he was blindsided and didn't know what was coming.
    Clay also knows that his theatrics have benefited him in the past so why not now?

• Yeah I'm not so sure - Clay seems genuinely surprised at how deep they've gotten.

I bought it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    To me it seemed more like Clay was surprised no one had his back than how much shit they had on him. It ain't like he went out of his way to cover his tracks but he always had support to bail him out.

• Also, I'm not sure Davis thought a lot of that stuff was criminal... just "business"

• A minor but significant flaw in episode 4. No rational person who is a target of a criminal investigation -- let alone a high-profile politician -- would walk into a grand jury room without an attorney like Clay Davis did. It simply does not happpen in the modern age.

again, it doesn't work like that. the purpose of a grand jury is to see if the prosecutor has enough evidence to warrant bringing a case. in reality, its bullshit because grand juries pretty much just rubber stamp indictments.

the thing with Clay was realistic enough. if he went in there and took the 5th, its game over, the indictments are gonna get issued. his only shot was to see if he could bullshit his way out of it, but that wasn't happening. a lawyer can def be helpful but i don't see how it would have saved an indictment.

• I'm now coming around to the position that Omar may live....I mean ERRYONE thinks he's as good as got, so maybe he lives? It would defy the expectations of pretty much everyone I know at this point.

knowing the Wire and its consistent defiance of convention, I could see him surviving, albeit on some "middle plain" whereby he's alive but still doomed to live the Bmore street life, never to return to the idyllic PR paradise. after all Butchie is dead, so the possiblity of a TRULY happy ending is already shot.

Side note about the boots ripped from torrent sites. From what I understand 5-7 were distributed to jounalists and industry folks, but not 1-4 or 8-10 in order to keep the suspense up. so the torrents all seem to derive from those original promo copies, which were just 5-7 right (and the ones that have aired to date)?

And if 8-10 are truly unavailable (and NO ONE I've spoken to has seen these go up on the interwebs) I'd almost rather wait. Imagine watching 5-7 and then having to wait that much longer for the next episode....I'd rather pace myself OR be able to see them all at once....

again, it doesn't work like that. the purpose of a grand jury is to see if the prosecutor has enough evidence to warrant bringing a case. in reality, its bullshit because grand juries pretty much just rubber stamp indictments.

the thing with Clay was realistic enough. if he went in there and took the 5th, its game over, the indictments are gonna get issued. his only shot was to see if he could bullshit his way out of it, but that wasn't happening. a lawyer can def be helpful but i don't see how it would have saved an indictment.

No, the scene was not realistic. Targets of criminal nvestigation must be advised that they are indeed target so they have an opportunity to clam up. I agree that grand jury proceedings are a rubber stampe, but any person with counsel would have been advised to take the Fifth from the get go. Clay's outburst was far more damaging than if he would have invoked and kept quiet.

And oh yeah, certain jurisdictions allow counsel to accompany the person subpoenaed into the grand jury room. Guess B-more isnt one of them.

• In terms of speculating on will they LIVE or will they DIE?!

(re: Marlo, Omar, Chris, Snoop, Michael, etc.)

Remember there are other options such as wheelchair, vegetable, amputee and deaf.

• No, the scene was not realistic. Targets of criminal nvestigation must be advised that they are indeed target so they have an opportunity to clam up. I agree that grand jury proceedings are a rubber stampe, but any person with counsel would have been advised to take the Fifth from the get go. Clay's outburst was far more damaging than if he would have invoked and kept quiet.

And oh yeah, certain jurisdictions allow counsel to accompany the person subpoenaed into the grand jury room. Guess B-more isnt one of them.

i'm trying to tell you how it works and are your trying to google up a response, talking about "i agree...".

if he was summoned to appear before the grand jury they would indicate whether he was the subject or just a witness. again, attorneys are NOT allowed in the grand jury room, even if their client is just a witness. they come out and talk to us, then go back in.

back to the wire...

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

This CD just came across my desk:

The Wire: "...And all the pieces matter." Five Years Of Music From The Wire[/b]

It's a good ride for fans of the show, but wouldn't make much sense to someone who's never seen the show. Packaging is over the top. Includes an essay by the one Jeff Chang who seems to have taken really good notes on music cues in the series.

But check it: they seem to have dropped a major spoiler concerning Dukie and Michael on the interlude track 34 "You remember that one day summer past?"
    Silence speaks volumes.

Oh hell no! Nooooooooo! Tell me it doesn't go down like that.

And as for the redemption part, all the people we've talked about have had redemption at one time or another, or haven't done anything that bad. Who's one person we've all known to be shit from the beginning? - Clay Davis. I'm sticking with the fact that he's gonna do some shit still.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Everyone on the show has dirt on them and as far as the redemption thing goes, I think it was more hinted towards a major character; not Clay Davis status.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

In terms of speculating on will they LIVE or will they DIE?!

(re: Marlo, Omar, Chris, Snoop, Michael, etc.)

Remember there are other options such as wheelchair, vegetable, amputee and deaf.

So who, are you willing to put money on ending up deaf, buy the end of the season? and how do you see it happening?

[color:pink] "I don't just wanna give your ass rabies, I rather have your ass pushing up daisies" [/color]

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Clay Davis is a major. He's where the government and the streets mix. Where's all the drug money go?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

No, the scene was not realistic. Targets of criminal nvestigation must be advised that they are indeed target so they have an opportunity to clam up. I agree that grand jury proceedings are a rubber stampe, but any person with counsel would have been advised to take the Fifth from the get go. Clay's outburst was far more damaging than if he would have invoked and kept quiet.

i'm trying to tell you how it works and are your trying to google up a response, talking about "i agree...".

if he was summoned to appear before the grand jury they would indicate whether he was the subject or just a witness. again, attorneys are NOT allowed in the grand jury room, even if their client is just a witness. they come out and talk to us, then go back in.

back to the wire...

They'd subpoenaed a whole bunch of people hadn't they, none of the others seemed to have representation. And I think Davis is egotistical enough to belive he can't be caught -> didn't need a layer.
    Also, what they finally tried to charge him with was quite obscure, and not the obvious, recieveing money from known drug dealers ect. So I think, his reaction was more shock, over how hard they'ed been going after him.

back to the wire...

Chill my dude, you're not the only lawyer here and you don't have to tell me "how it works." If you truly have grand jury experience, you know the Clay Davis scene was unrealistic and played up for dramatic effect.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    **SEMI SPOILER & SPECULATION**

(BUT ONLY BASED ON WHAT WAS SHOWN IN THE HBO SPECIALS PRECEDING SEASON 5 AND NOT WHAT I SAW IN EPISODES 5 -7)

(in InvisiText)

[color:white] I believe somebody kills themself this season. In The Wire: Odyssey or one of those other specials, there's a montage of Season 5 clips. I remember seeing one scene with a pickup truck (*I think*) where a single gunshot is heard. I believe there was a flash of light too. Clay Davis? He looks distraught enough in some scenes. McNulty? Doubt it, unless he gets caught and faces prison time and/or his actions have a deathly effect on his co-workers. Reporter? Seems too much of a pussy to do that. Then again, maybe there are 2 people in the car and one gets got?[/color]

• herm your mcnulty prediction is maybe on point...if anyone were ever to take away the one thing he has (police work)....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Dark thoughts Herm. God I hope nothing like that happens.

Loving the (in InvisiText) text btw.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Loving the (in InvisiText) text btw.

Hell yeah.

Clay Davis' lawyer had to have a skullet rolled into a ponytail. Couldn't have been any other way.

[color:white]Kenard: "That's Omar? Gimpier than a motherfucker."[/color]

Kenard quote Invisified

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Maybe the redeemer is Bubbs, if not, what's gonna happen to everybody's favorite ex-junkie?

• Maybe the redeemer is Bubbs, if not, what's gonna happen to everybody's favorite ex-junkie?

I just see him pathetically shuffling off to the soup kitchen in the end.

I mean, if the junkie can go clean and make a meaningful life for himself, then one of the main underlying causes of all the strife and drama in the Wire (drugs) is shown to be overcome-able, thus giving hope to the whole story in the end.

and I don't expect any hope to the whole story in the end, so I don't see him "overcoming" or achieving redemption.

• Loving the (in InvisiText) text btw.

Hell yeah.

Clay Davis' lawyer had to have a skullet rolled into a ponytail. Couldn't have been any other way.

Kenard: "That's Omar? Gimpier than a motherfucker."

learn how to use invisi text, dickhead
    before dropping future quotes

• [color:white]I (HEART) INVISITEXT![/color]

• herm your mcnulty prediction is maybe on point...if anyone were ever to take away the one thing he has (police work)....

my roommate was watching Season 1 last night and it was the one where Rawls tries to screw McNulty and you see how depressed he gets....

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    herm your mcnulty prediction is maybe on point...if anyone were ever to take away the one thing he has (police work)....

my roommate was watching Season 1 last night and it was the one where Rawls tries to screw McNulty and you see how depressed he gets....

Does dude even own an automobile though? He's always using an unmarked. He even had to take a bus at the beginning of this season! I bet he never got a new car after he wrecked his in season 2 or whatever. Oh well, at least he got to hump that thick ass waitress!

Does dude even own an automobile though? He's always using an unmarked. He even had to take a bus at the beginning of this season! I bet he never got a new car after he wrecked his in season 2 or whatever. Oh well, at least he got to hump that thick ass waitress!

"can I get a cup of coffee?"

"you can have anything you want."

...or something to that effect. I've always wished a waitress would pull that shit on me.

MAN one of the illest scenes ever.

herm your mcnulty prediction is maybe on point...if anyone were ever to take away the one thing he has (police work)....

"can I get a cup of coffee?"

"you can have anything you want."

...or something to that effect. I've always wished a waitress would pull that shit on me.

MAN one of the illest scenes ever.

And to top off blapping the nicely-thick young waitress, McNasty leaves blood stains from his DUI accident on homegirl's nice lacey pillow and duvet cover.

• "whats with the hand"

"gimme some eggs,will ya"

• HamHam 872 Posts
    [color:white] Richard Belzer, yo? [/color]