The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Also, we're forgetting that Marlo could very well get dealt with by the greeks, should he push the wrong buttons.

• that would be nice

• Having just seen episode 4:

I am wondering how The Greek feels comfortable hanging out in Baltimore back at the same little diner. The last we saw of him, he was making quick tracks out of the country at the end of Season 2. He was apparently in such a hurry that he left his precious beads behind in the hotel room.

Obviously with the police dept. budget and leadership in shambles, there's going to be no official, ongoing investigation. But one would think that out of all the people involved, esp. Freaman, Daniels, Pearlman, that they wouldn't all just let that schitt go. I can't remember though, to what extent the cops were on to the little diner by the docks as Vondas' meeting spot.

I'm just surprised the Greek is back in town. I was imagining something more akin to the storyline from French Connection 2, such as McNulty drinking his way around shipping docks in Southern Europe, on the trail of #1. I will save this idea for one of my fan fiction entries once this final season is complete.

• i think there are definitely some suspensions of reality that we need to play along with for a good show/story.

its probably what? 3 years later?
    that connected ass dude probably doesnt have to worry about getting a passport with a new name

i was wondering how marlo got to antilles??? who gave him a passport????

and Omar?? what kind of documents do yo uneed to get to PR???

• i was wondering how marlo got to antilles??? who gave him a passport????

and Omar?? what kind of documents do yo uneed to get to PR???

You don't need much to go to PR - it's a US possession. You might as well be flying to Florida.

Marlo got a passport through Prop Joe, who asked him "do you have any priors?" to which Marlo answered, "nothing that rates".

• oh yeah, you right

eagle eye!

johnny, what direction you think slim is going in now?

• I think he's gonna make a move for self, I doubt he'll "team up" with Omar but he might help him out.

Charles has always been wary of Marlo... and let's not forget he was brought into the Barksdale gang on retainer, he's from the east side originally so I doubt he's going to get back up with Avon unless Avon starts plotting on Marlo (which he may already be doing).

• Michael K Williams is up today: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18299087 the audio is usually up by about 1PM (Pacific)

Dope, thank you. Never noticed the meters in the background of that scene before. Michael the actor is really humble and amazing too.

• More predictions... I love this shit.

Anybody else remember Rawls is gay? You saw a brief glimpse of him in the gay bar in season 3 when Brother Mouzon is tracking him down. That's got to come out in the media with Rawls climbing up the ranks.

Templeton pussies out or slips up and reveals there's no real killer. McNulty goes to jail and drags Lester down with him. There's got to be more drama here.

Omar kills Michael OR snoop gets taken out so he can rise.

Omar dies. His character is about 4 seasons overdue from original expiration date. I can't see him coming back from this spider man shit and going back into retirement.

Some mix of Marlo's crew gets taken out by disenfranchised co-op members. This could easily be used to wrap up loose ends late in the game. Maybe Cheese backstabs Marlo & crew and gives it up they bodied Joe, which one of the co-op members (forget which one, minor character) knows from when Omar stuck him up to send a message.

Maybe Levy goes down too... (good call FYBS).

Cutty gets more ladies and rides off into the sunset with curtis mayfield playing

• You forgot one major factor/character though, Michael.

yeah he's obviously a major player in the story and will factor into the conclusion. I just see him as somewhat apart from the Omar/Snoop/Chris/Marlo axis which has developed this season. I was only speculating on them, not him. plus with him it's a little more ambiguous. there's a prety clear good guy/bad guy theme that has been set up with Omar/Snoop/Chris/Marlo whereas Michael doesn't fit so easily into that.

• with him it's a little more ambiguous. there's a prety clear good guy/bad guy theme that has been set up with Omar/Snoop/Chris/Marlo whereas Michael doesn't fit so easily into that.

Ambiguous definitely. This season Michael's been portrayed more sympathetically. Remember season 4 ended with Michael's first killing and chris saying "you look em right in the eye." He was set up to be Avon rising. This season, it's his brother, sparing the kid running out the back door, helping Dukie, and going to 6 flags.

• Anybody else remember Rawls is gay? You saw a brief glimpse of him in the gay bar in season 3 when Brother Mouzon is tracking him down. That's got to come out in the media with Rawls climbing up the ranks.

I can see this coming up again, but only in a very minor way. Like a throwaway comic line in the newsroom, or as a minor part in a much bigger something else. I don't see the Rawls gay thing as being a major factor in anything. I think Simon and Burns will reference it for the real headz and move on.

Omar dies. His character is about 4 seasons overdue from original expiration date. I can't see him coming back from this spider man shit and going back into retirement.

there's no doubt. his peace and happiness lasted exactly one scene for us: him walking along the sea wall with his man and the kids. once he got pulled back to Bmore it was game over for him. it's only a question of which epidose will he die in die at this point.

• More predictions... I love this shit.

Anybody else remember Rawls is gay? You saw a brief glimpse of him in the gay bar in season 3 when Brother Mouzon is tracking him down. That's got to come out in the media with Rawls climbing up the ranks.

the only other reference to rawls being gay that i have noticed is a scene where (i think its) mcnulty is in some restroom at the precinct and written on the wall is "rawls sucks cock". whoever it is in the restroom sees it and chuckles to himself. im about 95% sure it was mcnulty. i think it was last season too, but im not sure.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone else think something might happen to dukie and michael won't have anyone to take care of bug so he gets out of the game somehow?

• anyone else think something might happen to dukie and michael won't have anyone to take care of bug so he gets out of the game somehow?

Naw I think Dukie will make it. One of the themes in the Wire is authenticity... he just has to not pretend to be a gangster because it doesn't suite him. Thinking of Cutty's talk with Dukie about what kind of person he wants to be.

• yeah, the previews for 55 had michael teaching dookie how to shoot. bad news getting him embroiled.

it was j.landsman in the bathroom, wiping bubs vomit off his shirt, weeing the rawls sucks cock on the wall. i say that turns into a media issue. the news needs dirt on everyone

i dont see omar or marlo dying. or slim or michael or chris.
    but of course, some of em got to go. snoop is not major...about as big in stature as reynaldo.

i didnt realize slim charles was on retainer! ill

• anyone else think something might happen to dukie and michael won't have anyone to take care of bug so he gets out of the game somehow?

Naw I think Dukie will make it. One of the themes in the Wire is authenticity... he just has to not pretend to be a gangster because it doesn't suite him. Thinking of Cutty's talk with Dukie about what kind of person he wants to be.

SPOILER ALERT PLAESE
    are there any boundaries in this thread? cause i'm on demand like a mother fucker

• yeah, Slim's an eastsider who's just always had a knack for greasing the wheel with the west side gangs. He's one of the only characters on the show that gets universal respect.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, the previews for 55 had michael teaching dookie how to shoot.
    this

• yeah, the previews for 55 had michael teaching dookie how to shoot. bad news getting him embroiled.

it was j.landsman in the bathroom, wiping bubs vomit off his shirt, weeing the rawls sucks cock on the wall. i say that turns into a media issue. the news needs dirt on everyone

i dont see omar or marlo dying. or slim or michael or chris.
    but of course, some of em got to go. snoop is not major...about as big in stature as reynaldo.

i didnt realize slim charles was on retainer! ill

ahh yeah, thats right!
    i agree that its gonna come out eventually.
    a friend of mine whose house i watch the show at didnt even know about that scene, he almost didnt believe me.

i dont think omar will die either, time will tell.

• I just read that Stephen Glass Boy is the same guy who directed the film The Station Agent.

BTW I really resent that this dude is referred to as "Stephen Glass" and not Jason Blair.

JOKING.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    More predictions... I love this shit.

Anybody catch the rawls sucks dick scrawled on the bathroom wall after bubbs throws up on the fat homicide guy (forget his name, but I love that dude) at the end of season 4? That was classic.

As far as the levy thing, I can totally see it. If Levy goes down, that dude's not gonna spend a day in jail. He'd give up the entire city to keep his ass out of the pen. Could nicely wrap up the whole thing, plus Joe kinda fucked that up the same way he did the connect by putting all the city's eggs in one basket. Anybody gets the connect from joe - instant crown. Anybody takes down Levy - Instant career case. These two things are the key for me, and we've already seen one of them switch hands.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    shit, I posted that before I finished reading the newer posts, guess I wasn't the only guy who saw that.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    A minor but significant flaw in episode 4. No rational person who is a target of a criminal investigation -- let alone a high-profile politician -- would walk into a grand jury room without an attorney like Clay Davis did. It simply does not happpen in the modern age.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    A minor but significant flaw in episode 4. No rational person who is a target of a criminal investigation -- let alone a high-profile politician -- would walk into a grand jury room without an attorney like Clay Davis did. It simply does not happpen in the modern age.

I'm no legal expert, but it was only the pre-trial (?) part (sorry to all the law grads on board), and Davis aint no fool.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone remember david simon talking about a single character who receives "redemption" this season? going on what we know so far, i think it's got to be either michael or mcnutty.

i was initially thinking omar but his story parallels stringer's too much now. stringer tried to go legit just like omar tried to go on his little hideaway but both of them got pulled back in because of their past actions. it seems to match up too well.

michael being redeemed would be good for a super happy ending but i'm not really sure on that. i could see him being killed or locked up and then bug being placed in foster care or dukie having to raise him to continue to theme of child abandonment.

sadly, mcnutty seems like he would be the most likely to be okay at the end of the season. as fucked up as the stunts he seems to be pulling now, it seems like the things he has done have drawn in too many others and beyond those acts, most of those people have done nothing wrong throughout the course of the show. mcnutty could get busted and blame it all on himself but there's no way they are going to believe that he came up with all of that on his own. it also seems like it would be very easy to trace where and who covered up what so far.

i dont know

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    CLAY DAVIS IS DOING THE LORD'S WORK AND THEREFORE HAS THE LORD ON HIS SIDE. NO ONE CAN TOUCH HIM.

• A minor but significant flaw in episode 4. No rational person who is a target of a criminal investigation -- let alone a high-profile politician -- would walk into a grand jury room without an attorney like Clay Davis did. It simply does not happpen in the modern age.

Sorry Johnn Cochran, but you aren't allowed to have an attorney with you in the grand jury room. they have to wait outside. you can excuse yourself to ask your attorney questions though.

• This CD just came across my desk:

The Wire: "...And all the pieces matter." Five Years Of Music From The Wire[/b]

It's a good ride for fans of the show, but wouldn't make much sense to someone who's never seen the show. Packaging is over the top. Includes an essay by the one Jeff Chang who seems to have taken really good notes on music cues in the series.

But check it: they seem to have dropped a major spoiler concerning Dukie and Michael on the interlude track 34 "You remember that one day summer past?"
    Silence speaks volumes.

• Includes an essay by the one Jeff Chang who seems to have taken really good notes on music cues in the series.

oh schitt DJ Zen getting that HBO paper!