NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• T-Mac = 2000s Bernard King

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I've never really understood the concept of players "deserving" a championship. You either go out and take it, or you don't. And Pierce/McGrady???? GTFOHWTBS.

You know what it is...great players stuck on a terrible teams. Possibly because they make too much for the team to afford any serious help or just have a plain dysfunctional management.

Is there a better current example than Iverson?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've never really understood the concept of players "deserving" a championship. You either go out and take it, or you don't. And Pierce/McGrady???? GTFOHWTBS.

You know what it is...great players stuck on a terrible teams. Possibly because they make too much for the team to afford any serious help or just have a plain dysfunctional management.

Is there a better example than Iverson?

Uhh, Iverson probably deserves one, but his issue is unique to himself.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Meaning..?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I've never really understood the concept of players "deserving" a championship.

^^^mad because nobody ever mentions dirk in these sorts of statements^^^

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

no

edit: i was under the impression you meant "current" example

Meaning..?

Uhh, Iverson kinda has Carmelo right now. But 30+30 = 60. And usually not more.

• I've never really understood the concept of players "deserving" a championship. You either go out and take it, or you don't. And Pierce/McGrady???? GTFOHWTBS.

Is there a better current example than Iverson?

Iverson currently has a lot of talent around him. For his Sixers career, however, I would agree.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Meaning..?

Iverson plays a much bigger part in his failure to get a ring than Iverson fans want to admit.

• The one time AI got close enough to smell a ring, he carried his entire team on his back.

I fail to see what "his issues" are that prevent him from winning a championship.

I fail to see what "his issues" are that prevent him from winning a championship.

Poor shooting
    Still shooting lots and lots anyway
    Dominating the ball, stalling the offense
    Lots of turnovers
    Poor-to-nonexistant defense
    "We talkin' 'bout practice!"

Please don't misconstrue my answering your question as a desire to spend the next 50 posts arguing about how Iverson plays hard and has never had a decent teammate in his career and blah blah blah.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The one time AI got close enough to smell a ring, he carried his entire team on his back.

You're addressing a Spurs fan; he's allergic to swagger. It gives him an annoying rash.

• Please don't misconstrue my answering your question as a desire to spend the next 50 posts arguing about how Iverson plays hard and has never had a decent teammate in his career and blah blah blah.

You'd rather just write some unsubstantiated shit and back out right?

I mean, he's not a perfect player but none of those things you mentioned prevented him from winning a championship. Even the best players can't do it without support.

The one time AI got close enough to smell a ring, he carried his entire team on his back.

I thought it was now common knowledge that AI ain't gonna win you rings Apparently not. Same with Melo.

30+30=60[/b] Nothing more, nothing less.

• The one time AI got close enough to smell a ring, he carried his entire team on his back.

I thought it was now common knowledge that AI ain't gonna win you rings Apparently not. Same with Melo.

What was Kobe doing last season?

When Iverson gets the ball, his mentality becomes one on five, instead of five on five.

You'd rather just write some unsubstantiated shit and back out right?

Iverson's career is my substantiation. Don't get mad at me just because I pointed out that dude is hardly blameless for his ringless state.

What was Kobe doing last season?

Let's not get derailed.

Drewnice suggested that "AI is the perfect example of a player who deserves a ring but can't because of his teammates". I am merely contesting his suggestion.

When Iverson gets the ball, his mentality becomes one on five, instead of five on five.

I hereby challenge you to post something--anything--other than a cliche. Seriously.

• You'd rather just write some unsubstantiated shit and back out right?

Iverson's career is my substantiation. Don't get mad at me just because I pointed out that dude is hardly blameless for his ringless state.

I'm not saying he's blameless - I'm saying, had he been on a stronger team in his prime we wouldn't be having this discussion. Your point was that he is MORE to blame than anything else.

I mean... you're a Spurs fan. Isn't it pretty clear to you that it takes more than one star player to win a championship?

Is there any team like the Sixers of '01, that had such an utter cast of HUMPS surrounding their franchise player? And still made it to the finals??

I hereby challenge you to post something--anything--other than a cliche. Seriously.

It's hard, when the facts are so blatantly obvious. And you sir, don't understand the mechanics of the game.

It's hard, when the facts are so blatantly obvious. And you sir, don't understand the mechanics of the game.

Right. Very few non-Scientists do.

Is there any team like the Sixers of '01, that had such an utter cast of HUMPS surrounding their franchise player? And still made it to the finals??

This argument is tired and has holes.

1) He had solid role players, (Erick Snow, Aaron Mckie, etc)
    2) I can't even remember who else was playing in the East at the time. JV league yo.

• the last two seasons of Kobe-Ball out in LA are a distant memory - hindsight may be 20/20 but telepathy is 40/40!

• I've never really understood the concept of players "deserving" a championship.

^^^mad because nobody ever mentions dirk in these sorts of statements^^^

That's just it though. I may defend the dude in many ways but I'd never make that statement about him. Or Barkley, or Malone/Stockton or Ewing or AI or JKidd. These dudes all played in NBA Finals.

If anything, I would say maybe you could apply that term to an amazing player who played on absolutely horrible teams his whole career. I can't call to mind a good NBA example, directly. In football, Archie Manning would be a good example.

• 1) He had solid role players, (Erick Snow, Aaron Mckie, etc)

LOL - solid role players???

HUMPS, dude.

An apt comparison (not least so because of Eric Snow's presence) would be last year's Cavaliers.

You guys gonna blame LeBron for his own lack of rings too?

AI has Melo, Martin, Camby....

And yet, his team still ain't getting no where. What's the hold up?

• AI has Melo, Martin, Camby....

And yet, his team still ain't getting no where. What's the hold up?

This argument is tired and has holes.

It's a non-issue at this point. The dude is well into the twilight of his career.

1) He had solid role players, (Erick Snow, Aaron Mckie, etc)

LOL - solid role players???

HUMPS, dude.

An apt comparison (not least so because of Eric Snow's presence) would be last year's Cavaliers.

You guys gonna blame LeBron for his own lack of rings too?

Let's keep focused here.

Do you remember who was in the East at the time??? I certainly don't. Nuff said.

• Do you remember who was in the East at the time??? I certainly don't. Nuff said.

You didn't have cable!