NBA 07-08 Set Thangs STR8

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    here's an interesting perspective on why Baron Davis won't be on the all- star team:

Link

By the way, this is the kind of game that shows why Baron won???t be an All-Star, probably ever again, and almost certainly not this season.

He was incredible in the San Antonio victory. Almost a perfect game, except for some bad defense. He set himself up for laurels, he led his team, he just needed one more huge effort to put himself back on the All-Star landscape.

Then this. Steve Nash doesn???t hit the bottom like this. Kobe doesn???t. Tony Parker??? Chris Paul??? Deron Williams??? Iverson, Carmelo, Marion??? They might not shoot it well every night, but they show up, usually, and give you something.

Tonight, Baron gave nothing.

Other coaches have gotten disgusted with Baron about this kind of stuff???just shutting it down when things get tough fast. Baron hasn???t done much of it as a Warrior. He has been a great Warrior, as I???ve said often and recently. The greatest since Rick Barry.

But he shut it down tonight. 1-for-6 shooting, 1 assist, 3 fouls (bad), 4 points in 14 minutes??? with a plus/minus of -29. That???s MINUS 29, out of a great player, in 14 minutes.

I think that this may be a little harsh considering that the whole Warriors team was flat against the Blazers last night after a grueling win over the Spurs on Tuesday.

And he only played 14 minutes. The team was down 16 in the first half, down 20 for much of the rest of the game no matter who they had out there.

that's the kawakami article. the guy writes ok and has great access to the team that nobody else does, but is melodramatic to a fault with this shit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

Who would the East all-defensive Allstars be????

Whichever team gets to 50 first, wins. The game will last 3hrs though.

• Kidd
    Wade
    LeBron
    KG
    Howard

West Starting 5:

T-Mac (ghey, AI is 80k votes behind)
    Kobe
    Melo (FINALLY)
    Duncan
    Yao

You see this is good, but it's the same stars. Same predictable outcome. Scrimmage for most part of the game, and then play real ball for 5 minutes.

West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

Mostly predictable, yes. With the exeption of Carmelo, who is hopefully going to get his first voted in appearance of his career, which I think is crazy that it took 5 years, but whatever.

No way I could cosine anybody on your west 5 other than Camby though. You just listed 4 players that combined don't put up the numbers that 2 all stars do.

West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring

if you actually want to see a mess like that, go catch a d-league game.

This is obviously a joke 5. But it's based on defense.

SASHA VUJACIC VS ALLEN IVERSON WITH ONE BROKEN HAND.

WHO WOULD WIN?

MARK CUBAN VS PAT CROCE.

WHO WINS IN A BRAWL?

• West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

Half time will be an hour and a half. Haha.

East defense? Dwight Howard, Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Caron Butler, Josh Smith??? That's a tough one.

STEVEN A. SMITH VS MICHAEL WILBON.

WHO WINS IN A DEBATE?

• here's an interesting perspective on why Baron Davis won't be on the all- star team:

Link

By the way, this is the kind of game that shows why Baron won???t be an All-Star, probably ever again, and almost certainly not this season.

He was incredible in the San Antonio victory. Almost a perfect game, except for some bad defense. He set himself up for laurels, he led his team, he just needed one more huge effort to put himself back on the All-Star landscape.

Then this. Steve Nash doesn???t hit the bottom like this. Kobe doesn???t. Tony Parker??? Chris Paul??? Deron Williams??? Iverson, Carmelo, Marion??? They might not shoot it well every night, but they show up, usually, and give you something.

Tonight, Baron gave nothing.

Other coaches have gotten disgusted with Baron about this kind of stuff???just shutting it down when things get tough fast. Baron hasn???t done much of it as a Warrior. He has been a great Warrior, as I???ve said often and recently. The greatest since Rick Barry.

But he shut it down tonight. 1-for-6 shooting, 1 assist, 3 fouls (bad), 4 points in 14 minutes??? with a plus/minus of -29. That???s MINUS 29, out of a great player, in 14 minutes.

I think that this may be a little harsh considering that the whole Warriors team was flat against the Blazers last night after a grueling win over the Spurs on Tuesday.

And he only played 14 minutes. The team was down 16 in the first half, down 20 for much of the rest of the game no matter who they had out there.

that's the kawakami article. the guy writes ok and has great access to the team that nobody else does, but is melodramatic to a fault with this shit.

I find it puzzling that Nelson never put the starters back in that game. It seems like they basically hung it up during the third quarter. Most coaches would have put the starters out there to try and at least make the game respectable in the second half. It sounds weird to say after the Warriors gutty performance in the playoffs last year, but the team as a whole may have some "mental toughness" issues.

West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

East defense? Dwight Howard, Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Caron Butler, Josh Smith??? That's a tough one.

I started building an East defensive 5, but then I realized KG, Howard, can also shoot....and I wanted to make it so that my West 5 was looking hard as fuck.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

East:

Josh Smith
    Richard Prince
    Desmond Mason
    James Posey
    Jermaine O'Neal

• West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

I started building an East defensive 5, but then I realized KG, Howard, can also shoot....and I wanted to make it so that my West 5 was looking hard as fuck.

Yeah, the best players in the east seem to be pretty damn well rounded.

West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

East:

Josh Smith
    Tay Prince
    Desmond Mason
    James Posey
    Jermaine O'Neal

nelson did put the starters in at the beginning of the second half. they fucked it up again and were quickly pulled.
    i like his direct take on the game better:
    "I wouldn't put too much on what happened here,'' said Warriors coach Don Nelson, standing in the hallway next to me holding a beer while I was holding the stat sheet, thus giving him the upper hand.

Nelson realized in the opening three minutes that his team was flatter than ale from a bathtub. He tried to shake it up by calling a couple of timeouts early in the first quarter, but the Warriors were passively determined to lose 109-91 to Portland and there was no way to change it.

"There was just nothing there,'' he said. "It's not the worst thing in the world. It's hard to accept, but I think I've got to put this one behind me.'' At that moment, for emphasis, he could have downed the beer in one big gulp, which I'm sure he's capable of doing. But discipline was shown.

I congratulated Nelson for limiting Davis to 14 minutes amid concerns that he has been playing far too much recently.

"That's a good way to do it,'' the coach said as he walked away before mumbling something I couldn't hear. So I asked a fellow reporter. "He said, 'Next time he can coach the ---damn game,' '' he reported.

West:

Bruce Bowen
    Raja Bell
    Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Marcus Camby

East:

Josh Smith
    Tay Prince
    Desmond Mason
    James Posey
    Jermaine O'Neal

That's pretty fuckin'

• nelson did put the starters in at the beginning of the second half. they fucked it up again and were quickly pulled.
    "I wouldn't put too much on what happened here,'' said Warriors coach Don Nelson, standing in the hallway next to me holding a beer while I was holding the stat sheet, thus giving him the upper hand.

Nelson realized in the opening three minutes that his team was flatter than ale from a bathtub. He tried to shake it up by calling a couple of timeouts early in the first quarter, but the Warriors were passively determined to lose 109-91 to Portland and there was no way to change it.

"There was just nothing there,'' he said. "It's not the worst thing in the world. It's hard to accept, but I think I've got to put this one behind me.'' At that moment, for emphasis, he could have downed the beer in one big gulp, which I'm sure he's capable of doing. But discipline was shown.

I congratulated Nelson for limiting Davis to 14 minutes amid concerns that he has been playing far too much recently.

"That's a good way to do it,'' the coach said as he walked away before mumbling something I couldn't hear. So I asked a fellow reporter. "He said, 'Next time he can coach the ---damn game,' '' he reported.

What a bad look for a coach to be acting like a blowout loss to a western conference opponent is no big deal. Apparently the "mental toughness" issues start at the top. And yes I am beating up on the Warriors a little bit but there is no good reason for them to be flat for this game. We Oregonians were very nervously excited about this game, because we thought Golden State would want revenge for the last loss in the Rose Garden. Instead we got this crappy performance.

Nelson is a genius. Dude is mad non-chalant, and it works.

• Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

Nelson is a genius.

Nelson is a alcoholic[/b].
    because he has a beer after work?

Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

NewCocky Portland Fan.......

• What a bad look for a coach to be acting like a blowout loss to a western conference opponent is no big deal. Apparently the "mental toughness" issues start at the top. And yes I am beating up on the Warriors a little bit but there is no good reason for them to be flat for this game. We Oregonians were very nervously excited about this game, because we thought Golden State would want revenge for the last loss in the Rose Garden. Instead we got this crappy performance.

I hear you, but it's really not that big of a deal in January. Every team has its bad nights. Every team gets blown out every now and then. Nelson doesn't really seem like the type to get upset over losing a game to a bottom seed contender that's not in his division in January (even though GSW is a bottom seed contender as well). I could imagine you guys were expecting a good game though, so that kinda sucks. At least you got another W though.

• Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

I had this opinion about Nelson long before the current Blazer resurgence.

Nelson is a alcoholic[/b]. Dude is mad oblivious[/b], and it works 50% of the time[/b] .

An innovator, Nelson is credited with, among other things, inventing the concept of the point forward, a tactic which is frequently employed by teams at every level today. His unique brand of basketball is often referred to as Nellie Ball.[/b]

Don Nelson, the second-winningest coach in NBA history[/b]

And he built the Dallas Mavs team that you see today.

• Here is basketbawfull's take on last nights game:

Golden State Warriors: Remember last month when Don Nelson "pulled the plug early" against the Pistons, basically conceding a game because he figured they wouldn't win it anyway? At the time, Nelson said: "That's the way it goes sometimes. We pulled the plug early on this one. We weren't playing well enough to beat these guys today." Does anybody get the feeling he did the same thing last night against the Blazers? I mean, Baron Davis only played 13 minutes. Austin Croshere played almost twice as many minutes as the Warriors' starters (except Monta Ellis). You know, Phil Jackson once claimed (in his book The Last Season) that Nelson would sometimes get ejected from a game so that he could leave early and hit the bars (and we all know that Nelson loves him some beer). Is he conceding games to save his players' legs (especially the injury-prone Davis), or is he simply in a hurry to go crack open a frosty beverage?
    link

nelson did put the starters in at the beginning of the second half. they fucked it up again and were quickly pulled.

What a bad look for a coach to be acting like a blowout loss to a western conference opponent is no big deal. Apparently the "mental toughness" issues start at the top. And yes I am beating up on the Warriors a little bit but there is no good reason for them to be flat for this game. We Oregonians were very nervously excited about this game, because we thought Golden State would want revenge for the last loss in the Rose Garden. Instead we got this crappy performance.

It's what distinguishes the elite from above average.

Here is basketbawfull's take on last nights game:

Golden State Warriors: Remember last month when Don Nelson "pulled the plug early" against the Pistons, basically conceding a game because he figured they wouldn't win it anyway? At the time, Nelson said: "That's the way it goes sometimes. We pulled the plug early on this one. We weren't playing well enough to beat these guys today." Does anybody get the feeling he did the same thing last night against the Blazers? I mean, Baron Davis only played 13 minutes. Austin Croshere played almost twice as many minutes as the Warriors' starters (except Monta Ellis). You know, Phil Jackson once claimed (in his book The Last Season) that Nelson would sometimes get ejected from a game so that he could leave early and hit the bars (and we all know that Nelson loves him some beer). Is he conceding games to save his players' legs (especially the injury-prone Davis), or is he simply in a hurry to go crack open a frosty beverage?
    link

And?

An innovator, Nelson is credited with, among other things, inventing the concept of the point forward, a tactic which is frequently employed by teams at every level today. His unique brand of basketball is often referred to as Nellie Ball.[/b]

Don Nelson, the second-winningest coach in NBA history[/b]

And he built the Dallas Mavs team that you see today.

whatever. I have been watching Nelson's teams play mediocre defense for many years. Does anyone think that the Mavs were better with Nelson as a coach than Avery Johnson? Oh, and don't forget his amazing performance as coach of the Knicks.

Top 3 reasons why high-scoring offense doesn't win you titles:

1. Phoenix Suns
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Denver Nuggets