THE OFFICIAL NFL 2007 THREAD

Comments

• Let's talk about this running-it-up, villian type talk.

I think the Pats are scoring a ton of points on teams, and I think some of it may be sending a message for accusations of cheating/questioning their legacy, no doubt.

BUT, keep in mind; they lost the AFC Championship last season in a game where they held a 21 point lead, and an 18 point halftime lead. Do you think that may be in mind as they play this season? With that game in mind, I think they are trying to go through EVERY game with a NEVER, EVER Let Up attitude, with the mistakes of the past in mind.

Also, do you think that Belichick, a student of the game and its history, wouldn't love to go undefeated? Absolutely. But, part of the challenge of that is in keeping your players interested over the course of a long season. I think this is also a way to keep everyone focused at all times. Did you see Brady yelling at Dan Koppen yesterday when he got a false start? The score was 45-0 in the 4th quarter, but you never would have known it. This team is trying for perfection and excellence at ALL times. Rather than risk a let down with the typical attitude of taking plays off, etc., they will never take ANYTHING off.

To the charges of passing late in the game, etc. At times, I think this could almost be seen as a sort of live practice. Take those opportunities to see what works when in live-game situations, etc.

Finally, and I think this is most important...This isn't Frickin' high school. These are grown-ass-men who get paid millions to play a sport, and it is presumed that they are so justly compensated because they are the greatest on earth at what they do.

If they are so good at what they do, it is the responsibility of opposing defenses, again, the best on earth at what they do, to stop their opponents. It is NOT the Patriots responsibility to stop themselves just because the other team can't.

• G$, I think you know where I stand on all this. I'm submitting my take on how "the sports world at large" views it.

I don't understand why you Pats fans are getting yr panties twisted. You should relish the role. I don't disagree w/ anything G$ posted above. You get paid, go out there and stop somebody. Randall Godfrey sounds like a crybaby right about now.

YEAH WE RAN UP THE SCORE ON YO ASS. DEAL.

But also, let's not act like BB isn't kinda an asshole either. DARTH HOODIE and shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For half a century or more, passing with a 30+ point 4th quarter lead has been running up the score. But when the Patriots do it, it's merely a "live practice"???

Why do you Pats fans always require that the rest of the world recalibrate our definitions of football to meet your own original takes on tried-and-true givens?

Y'all might win every Super Bowl from now until eternity, but you will simulaneously wonder why no one outside of Boston likes, appreciates, nor gives a shit about your clearly-unethical team.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    For the entire history of football it has ALWAYS been the rule that a great defense, or even just a great defensive gameplan, can neutralize a great offense. I'm starting to think that the Pats are gonna schitt all over that rule this season.

Eh, it's a saying that's been repeated ad nauseam that probably had more weight before they opened up the passing rules in the 70s. I mean, Kurt Warner's Rams, the 1998 Broncos, the 1994 49ers, etc. shat all over it before the Pats.

• G$, I think you know where I stand on all this. I'm submitting my take on how "the sports world at large" views it.

I don't understand why you Pats fans are getting yr panties twisted. You should relish the role. I don't disagree w/ anything G$ posted above. You get paid, go out there and stop somebody. Randall Godfrey sounds like a crybaby right about now.

But also, let's not act like BB isn't kinda an asshole either. DARTH HOODIE and shit.

Yo B, I wasn't reacting to you...just thoughts I've been kicking around.

And, I don't disagree there isn't a very Hoodie-esque, 'this time it's personal,' thing.

But, I DO think this is a time that's last loss was pretty crushing, and they blew a big lead. And, I think they are more focused and determined than any team I've ever seen to make sure that doesn't happen again. If some slapdick Redskins LB doesn't like it? Fuck you, get out of our way.

If Gregg Easterbrook doesn't like it? Fuck you, get out of our way.

If other people don't like it? Well, they weren't in that locker room in January, and they weren't they were the entire team's legacy was being questioned. So, fuck them, get out of the way.

*It should be noted, these are just my musings and speculations. this has nothing to do with inside info, etc.*

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    At least we have a team everyone outside of Boston can rally against. It's like the old Raiders reborn, which is sort of fun.

• They're just freaky. Mike Vrabel: 11 solos, 3 sacks, 3 Forced Fumbles AND a TD? Are you shitting me?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I can't stand the Pats...but I still can't say that they are any more annoying than Peyton Manning barking signals under center.

Yo B, I wasn't reacting to you...just thoughts I've been kicking around.

And, I don't disagree there isn't a very Hoodie-esque, 'this time it's personal,' thing.

But, I DO think this is a time that's last loss was pretty crushing, and they blew a big lead. And, I think they are more focused and determined than any team I've ever seen to make sure that doesn't happen again. If some slapdick Redskins LB doesn't like it? Fuck you, get out of our way.

If Gregg Easterbrook doesn't like it? Fuck you, get out of our way.

If other people don't like it? Well, they weren't in that locker room in January, and they weren't they were the entire team's legacy was being questioned. So, fuck them, get out of the way.

*It should be noted, these are just my musings and speculations. this has nothing to do with inside info, etc.*

All this "fuck you, pay me" talk sounds like KK is channeling his inner yankee fan.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    MEMO

TO: NFL DEFENSES AND D COORDINATORS

RE: MIKE VRABEL

If Mike Vrabel is lined up at tight end on the goalline, chances are he's gonna block and release and score on you. You might wanna think about covering him.

It's a no-win situation, because you can't just ignore the run. Teams have made that mistake before other times they lined Vrabel up at TE, concentrating on him after the first time they passed to him this season about a month or so ago.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    For the entire history of football it has ALWAYS been the rule that a great defense, or even just a great defensive gameplan, can neutralize a great offense. I'm starting to think that the Pats are gonna schitt all over that rule this season.

Eh, it's a saying that's been repeated ad nauseam that probably had more weight before they opened up the passing rules in the 70s. I mean, Kurt Warner's Rams, the 1998 Broncos, the 1994 49ers, etc. shat all over it before the Pats.

You are right about that, dgriot... I actually forgot how potent the 94 Niners and 98 Broncos offenses were. I don't think they faced any great defenses during their Super Bowl runs, though. I don't think the Pats will, either. The Ravens? No.

• Yo, Philly...Didn't see your comments on Cheapshots, but I can say the idea has been speculated upon. At length...

And, frankly, despite the fact that I think running it up talk is stupid waaaaaaaaambulance fodder, football is an emotional game, and I can easily some defender saying, 'fuck this,' and ending the Pats offense once and for all with a shot to the knees.

Like I said...we are all very aware of that threat.

• Options

I hope this game lives up to the hype.

Me too. Seriously, I know it's kind of obnoxious to say this,
    but it really is getting a little boring watching the Pats stomp
    hell out of everybody every week. I mean, it's fun for a while,
    but by the second half I'm usually snoring away on the sofa ...

You sound grandpa-old.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I hope this game lives up to the hype.

Me too. Seriously, I know it's kind of obnoxious to say this,
    but it really is getting a little boring watching the Pats stomp
    hell out of everybody every week. I mean, it's fun for a while,
    but by the second half I'm usually snoring away on the sofa ...

You sound grandpa-old.

Let's just call it "satiated with victories"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yo, Philly...Didn't see your comments on Cheapshots, but I can say the idea has been speculated upon. At length...

And, frankly, despite the fact that I think running it up talk is stupid waaaaaaaaambulance fodder, football is an emotional game, and I can easily some defender saying, 'fuck this,' and ending the Pats offense once and for all with a shot to the knees.

Like I said...we are all very aware of that threat.

i think running up the score is great. score in the damn triple digits if you can do it. beat 'em down and keep beatin' on em. houston came back last week and scored like 4 touchdowns in the last quarter, damn near beat a team that was whuppin' their azz 32-7 or whatever it was. NEVER call the dogs off. Points scored is one of the playoff tiebreakers if it comes down to it, so there is ALWAYS a valid reason for putting up as many points as humanly possible. there's no crying in football.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I pretty much agree and only have an issue with potential risk of injuries. (Still don't like the Pats, though.)

The one thing that sucks about all this Pats being unsportsmanlike talk is that it completely overshadowed one of the biggest bitch moves in football this weekend - Georgia's HC Mark Richt ordering his entire team onto the field to celebrate after the first TD. Much respect to the Florida players for not losing their cool and potentially starting a brawl that would've outdone Miami-Florida Int'l.

• The one thing that sucks about all this Pats being unsportsmanlike talk is that it completely overshadowed one of the biggest bitch moves in football this weekend - Georgia's HC Mark Richt ordering his entire team onto the field to celebrate after the first TD. Much respect to the Florida players for not losing their cool and potentially starting a brawl that would've outdone Miami-Florida Int'l.

You meant "most brilliant move of the weekend", right? Shit mighta won the game for that team.

"Congratulations Florida on not acting like the thugs you might be."

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

The one thing that sucks about all this Pats being unsportsmanlike talk is that it completely overshadowed one of the biggest bitch moves in football this weekend - Georgia's HC Mark Richt ordering his entire team onto the field to celebrate after the first TD. Much respect to the Florida players for not losing their cool and potentially starting a brawl that would've outdone Miami-Florida Int'l.

You meant "most brilliant move of the weekend", right? Shit mighta won the game for that team.

It was a pre-orchestrated mass taunting capped off with DANCING in front of Florida players. To me, that's classless, puerile shit that would piss anybody off, and set the tone for like 10 more personal fouls the rest of the game.

This is the same coach that was commended for pushing his own players off the Vandy logo that were celebrating a few weeks ago. It just comes off as a 180 and it honestly surprises me how many people considered it a great move. Agree to disagree, I guess.

• I'll say this as well...And, I am very aware that I am anything but an impartial observer, though I try to remain as objective as possible in all sports analysis.

I just think that what the Pats are doing is about more than scoring all the time; it is about never letting up under any circumstances. They want to be PERFECT on every play. BB said as much in his weekly radio interview this afternoon. Basically, when you start thinking about slowing down, or get worried about the score, that is when bad habits start. And, once bad habits set in, you never know when they are going to rear their head.

Let's remember the AFC Championship game- the Pats got a 12 men in the huddle penalty...in the 4th quarter after a time out! Caldwell was dropping balls all over the field, including a touchdown; and, on the 3-4 with 3+ minutes left and the lead, Troy Brown ran the wrong route on a timing pattern, and the Colts got the ball back and won the game.

Based on those few plays, they lost the AFC Championship, and probably the Super Bowl (they would have slaughtered the Bears...) The way they are playing right now is about eliminating any doubt in their own minds and the minds of their opponents that those plays will not happen, under any circumstances, no matter the score, game situation, etc.

One thing I find fascinating the closer I get to professional sports is the mental aspect of the game. The world is filled with great atheletes, but to find those that can maintain the pride, ego, and internal motivation to NEVER let up is fascinating. I have a lot more thoughts on this topic, but I'm tired and will get into it on a later date...but, basically, I feel like the way the Patriots are playing right now is more about getting their own mind right than any message they are trying to send to their opponents.

• The one thing that sucks about all this Pats being unsportsmanlike talk is that it completely overshadowed one of the biggest bitch moves in football this weekend - Georgia's HC Mark Richt ordering his entire team onto the field to celebrate after the first TD. Much respect to the Florida players for not losing their cool and potentially starting a brawl that would've outdone Miami-Florida Int'l.

It was a pre-orchestrated mass taunting capped off with DANCING in front of Florida players. To me, that's classless, puerile shit that would piss anybody off, and set the tone for like 10 more personal fouls the rest of the game.

This is the same coach that was commended for pushing his own players off the Vandy logo that were celebrating a few weeks ago. It just comes off as a 180 and it honestly surprises me how many people considered it a great move. Agree to disagree, I guess.

I hear you. That team seemed so outmatched coming in. Rivalry game. You gotta do what you gotta do in the SEC. You can find dirt on every team in that conference. Bad fans, coverups, whatever.

• Dude. Steve Young was HATING on the pregame tonight.

Wes Welker spiking the ball like he won the Super Bowl going up 45-0? A lil'

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'll say this as well...And, I am very aware that I am anything but an impartial observer, though I try to remain as objective as possible in all sports analysis.

I just think that what the Pats are doing is about more than scoring all the time; it is about never letting up under any circumstances. They want to be PERFECT on every play. BB said as much in his weekly radio interview this afternoon. Basically, when you start thinking about slowing down, or get worried about the score, that is when bad habits start. And, once bad habits set in, you never know when they are going to rear their head.

Let's remember the AFC Championship game- the Pats got a 12 men in the huddle penalty...in the 4th quarter after a time out! Caldwell was dropping balls all over the field, including a touchdown; and, on the 3-4 with 3+ minutes left and the lead, Troy Brown ran the wrong route on a timing pattern, and the Colts got the ball back and won the game.

Based on those few plays, they lost the AFC Championship, and probably the Super Bowl (they would have slaughtered the Bears...) The way they are playing right now is about eliminating any doubt in their own minds and the minds of their opponents that those plays will not happen, under any circumstances, no matter the score, game situation, etc.

One thing I find fascinating the closer I get to professional sports is the mental aspect of the game. The world is filled with great atheletes, but to find those that can maintain the pride, ego, and internal motivation to NEVER let up is fascinating. I have a lot more thoughts on this topic, but I'm tired and will get into it on a later date...but, basically, I feel like the way the Patriots are playing right now is more about getting their own mind right than any message they are trying to send to their opponents.

That last paragraph, I can fully agree to. Plaese to elaborate at a later date. You write AWESOMELY.

• Are the Broncos the most unlucky franchise in football right now?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I feel like the way the Patriots are playing right now is more about getting their own mind right than any message they are trying to send to their opponents.

I agree.....

Bill is trying to keep the players and coaching staff in kill mode.

nothing wrong with running up the score in footbal.....it's a man's sport.

Nevermind Indy/New England.........

Green Bay at KC =

Balt at Pitt =

Dall at Phil =

Seattle at Cleve =

Carolina at Tenn =

and "The Doo Doo Bowl" !!

SF at ATL =

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    i think the broncos would be 7-0 if the football field was 90 yards long

I want Bret Favre drug tested.

• Are the Broncos the most unlucky franchise in football right now?

Denver = shitty place to be right now as a sports fan. Frickin' BRONCOS. Oh well. Elam ALMOST did it again... Favre is a beast, Pack 6-1? 2nd Longest touchdown pass in overtime in NFL history? Dre Bly getting straight BURNT on that play? Ehhhhh.

The Nuggets will bring the Denver sports atmosphere back to acceptable soon, I hope.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    and "The Doo Doo Bowl" !!

SF at ATL =

ha - it's painful going out of my way to watch my beloved 49ers this season in Alabama. I already bought tickets to the Browns season ender, and I'm no longer looking forward to it.

The funny thing is, I expected them to be around 3-4 at this point in the season, but every game being pretty competitive for at least 3.5 quarters and gradual improvement each week. I didn't expect to see the 2006 Raiders reborn, where you have a pretty good defense that's worn out by the 2nd half and all but given up due to a shitty offense of historic proportions.

• Dall at Phil =

Philadelphia plaese to win, make Sunday Nov 11 a high stakes game.