NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Rogue ref's bookies old HS chums[/b]

BY MIKE JACCARINO in Harverton, Pa.,
    and JOHN MARZULLI and BILL HUTCHINSON in New York
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, July 26th 2007, 4:00 AM

Two catholic high school chums of disgraced referee Tim Donaghy have been identified as the bookies in a gambling scandal rocking the NBA, the Daily News has learned.

But the two bet-takers apparently exaggerated their Mafia connections. "They're nobodies," a law enforcement source said.

The mob wanna-bes attended Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, Pa., with Donaghy, who was a varsity standout on the school's basketball and baseball teams. Donaghy, 40, has become the focus of the federal investigation into bets he allegedly made on NBA games, including some he officiated.

The veteran referee, who earned $260,000 a year for whistling fouls on the hardwood, allegedly gave the bookies advance word on officiating crews of games they planned to take action on, the source said.

Donaghy is expected to surrender to the FBI by next week to plead guilty to gambling charges, federal sources have told The News. An educator at Cardinal O'Hara, who requested anonymity, confirmed the feds have identified two alums of the school as the bookies. He said both men graduated a couple of years ahead of Donaghy.

One of the men named by the school source refused to comment when contacted yesterday by The News.

"I'm not talking about anything," the man said. "Don't come on my property at all."

Donaghy has been holed up inside his two-story home in Bradenton, Fla., refusing to make any statements and claiming to be "the butler" when reporters knock on his door.

Known as a hothead, he apparently turned his lawn sprinklers on a freelance photographer for The New York Times yesterday, drenching the shutterbug for getting too close to the hedges outside his house.[/b]

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Known as a hothead, he apparently turned his lawn sprinklers on a freelance photographer for The New York Times yesterday, drenching the shutterbug for getting too close to the hedges outside his house.[/b]

The closest he'll ever get to calling another three-second violation.

Ba-ba-bum.

I'd like to hear more about the fellow refs who also supposedly went to the same high school. I can't believe they wouldn't have at least been suspicious.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fuck this ref bullshit.

The Suns Starting 5?

Stoudmire - C
    Marion - PF
    Hill - 3
    Bell - 2
    Nash - 1

Or does Hill come off the bench w/ the Brazillian Blur?

Fuck this ref bullshit.

The Suns Starting 5?

Stoudmire - C
    Marion - PF
    Hill - 3
    Bell - 2
    Nash - 1

I think Hill's starting. One of the reasons he supposedly went to the Suns is that he wouldn't be relegated to token bench veteran status.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Fuck this ref bullshit.

The Suns Starting 5?

Stoudmire - C
    Marion - PF
    Hill - 3
    Bell - 2
    Nash - 1

I think that depending on the defensive matchups (esp. considering a few teams "retooling" to play uptempo next season) you'll see a lot more of Barbosa starting at the 2 and playing a combo-guard role and I imagine Diaw will start at the 3 or 4, rotating Marion to the 3 and leaving Hill on the bench (at least for the first part of the season.)

Who knows though?... they have no legit bigs left, and unless Amare steps up his defense, maybe Diaw will start at C a la 05/06

• What do it matter? The league is rigged.

What do it matter? The league is rigged.

What do it matter? The league is rigged.
    plaese to take your mouth off. you don't know the true.

• What do it matter? The league is rigged.

Who can forget Stu Scott interviewing Michael Irvin after the drug incident of a couple of years ago.

"Was it a crack pipe Micheal?"

b/w

Are you saying there are no cokeheads in the NBA?

b/w

What's this gotta do with the WWENBA??

c'mon you folls! here's some catnip- now post!

1. Kobe
    2. Dirk is soft
    3. The Pacers should be a d-league team
    4. Chris Bosh = MVP 08
    5. Kobe in Chicago
    6. White People in the NBA = some variation of Kirk Hinrich
    7. Kirk Hinrich's hot sister?
    edit: MORE
    8. Tyrus Thomas needs a better nickname
    9. Wade = Ginobli = horrible
    10. Suns
    11. Warriors sweep Mavs in regular season 2008. Bets?

• c'mon you folls! here's some catnip- now post!

1. Kobe
    2. Dirk is soft
    4. Chris Bosh = MVP 08
    5. Kobe in Chicago

8. Stories about getting beer poured on you at Bulls games.

1. Kobe
    2. Dirk is soft
    4. Chris Bosh = MVP 08
    5. Kobe in Chicago

1) The Best
    2) Theyll change their strategy and not be so dependant on his offense
    3) Thank Larry Bird
    4) First Team NBA
    5) That's for the Telepath to answer
    6) Caucasoids like Jason Williams more
    7) Post pics or U soff

8. Stories about getting beer poured on you at Bulls games.
    I GOT FREE BOOZE AND A MUFUGGIN T-SHIRT.

Luvabulls = worse than any dancers I've ever seen. Seriously. Someone needs to revamp that tepid missteppin squad. DAEL.

Luvabulls = worse than any dancers I've ever seen. Seriously. Someone needs to revamp that tepid missteppin squad. DAEL.

Sad but true. They look like a community college poms squad, except they're all "taking night classes," i.e. a little too old to be dancing. What they lack in sexiness they don't make up with enthusiasm.

Sad but true. They look like a community college poms squad, except they're all "taking night classes," i.e. a little too old to be dancing. What they lack in sexiness they don't make up with enthusiasm.
    I saw Caron Butler knee one of them in the head. I didn't feel good about it though. I don't think bad dancing deserves a knee in the head from Caron Butler. I'm not a great dancer. Then again, I don't get paid for it.
    She seemed ok afterward. Why do they have them sit baseline? Is that safe? I think I'd rather see some photographer get stepped on by a 230 lb. man than a 103 lb. dancer.
    (Good seats are awesome)

GILBERT > KOBE
    (I know he's around somewhere...)

7) Post pics or U soff

couldn't find any. can't remember if she is or not, thus the question mark. (she was on a TNT broadcast sitting next to his mom.)

Who's ur team JimBean?

I like several teams, mostly western conference. If forced to pick, I guess I'd pick Suns. Or W's. Or new look Denver. Maybe the Lakers, simply because I like watching footage of train wrecks. I actually tried to map how I came to that team, (suns in a "gun to your head" picking situation) and it had to do more with the team hopping of Don Nelson since his first go-around in GS than anything else. I'm just obsessed with the sport in general.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like several teams, mostly western conference. If forced to pick, I guess I'd pick Suns. Or W's. Or new look Denver. Maybe the Lakers, simply because I like watching footage of train wrecks. I actually tried to map how I came to that team, (suns in a "gun to your head" picking situation) and it had to do more with the team hopping of Don Nelson since his first go-around in GS than anything else. I'm just obsessed with the sport in general.

Ha--those are my teams! Except Knicks, rather than Warriors.

Now prepare for Rockadelic to explain why your approach to fandom is invalid.

Suns/Warriors/Nuggets/Lakers.......pick one foll.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I saw Caron Butler knee one of them in the head. I didn't feel good about it though. I don't think bad dancing deserves a knee in the head from Caron Butler. I'm not a great dancer.
    Then again, I don't get paid for it.[/b]

NBA dance teams barely get paid. The girls get $100 a game in Denver. Probably not much different anywhere else.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Denver didn't solve their biggest issue yet really, but I am hoping for a great season and better success in the playoffs. More chemistry developing with the stars and the rest of the team, stronger contribution from the bench, better team defense. Better perimeter shooting is what we lack, and I guess we're now relying on Chucky Atkins to help change that. He could fit better on this team than any team he's been on yet. We'll see. Season can't fuckin' get here fast enough, that's for sure.

Who's still out there worth a fuck in the Free Agent world?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Ha--those are my teams! Except Knicks, rather than Warriors.

Now prepare for Rockadelic to explain why your approach to fandom is invalid.

If I put a gun to your head would you pick just one???

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Please, please let the Suns dismantle before they ever win anything, otherwise we won't hear the end of it from the "new breed" of NBA fans.

Denver didn't solve their biggest issue yet really, but I am hoping for a great season and better success in the playoffs. More chemistry developing with the stars and the rest of the team, stronger contribution from the bench, better team defense. Better perimeter shooting is what we lack, and I guess we're now relying on Chucky Atkins to help change that. He could fit better on this team than any team he's been on yet. We'll see. Season can't fuckin' get here fast enough, that's for sure.

Is Chuky Atkins that much better than Steve Blake?
    And where does that place JR Smith?
    Nene HAS to breakout this season.

Please, please let the Suns dismantle before they ever win anything, otherwise we won't hear the end of it from the "new breed" of NBA fans.

Harry Potter/Run-N-Gun Reader-Fans

And where does that place JR Smith?
    Nene HAS to breakout this season.

All of those players are mediocre at best. And they won't provide you with much in the long-run.

Harry Potter/Run-N-Gun Reader-Fans

Exactly. I'm more of the Patrick Ewing Nostrils-flaring Inside-Outside type of fan.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I think you go with Chuck for consistency and veteran leadership.
    Blake was on some now you see me, now you don't ish.