NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what do people think about phx letting go of kurt thomas? seems like a money/salary cap thing, mostly...but wasn't he their best low-post defender? who will guard duncan or boozer or yao???

I was gonna ask this as well. Dude is a savvy low post player. I guess they feel like Duncan n them are gonna score regardless. Is this Steve Kerr's first power move since arriving in PHX.

And who are the "Big Men" in Phx....Pat Burke....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Is this Steve Kerr's first power move since arriving in PHX.

"Hahahhaa, he said 'power move!'"

• what do people think about phx letting go of kurt thomas? seems like a money/salary cap thing, mostly...but wasn't he their best low-post defender? who will guard duncan or boozer or yao???

I was gonna ask this as well. Dude is a savvy low post player. I guess they feel like Duncan n them are gonna score regardless. Is this Steve Kerr's first power move since arriving in PHX.

And who are the "Big Men" in Phx....Pat Burke....

I think they are going to make another move with that $8 million exception to get another big-Jeff Foster, Jarron Collins, P.J. Brown, Camby.

Right now their bigs are Stat and Sean Marks.

So, is that video insinuating that several of the refs were in on the fix? Because the only time I see Donaghy call a foul, or even mentioned for that matter, occurs at the beginning of the game clip.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    So, is that video insinuating that several of the refs were in on the fix? Because the only time I see Donaghy call a foul, or even mentioned for that matter, occurs at the beginning of the game clip.

^^ I have to agree, but the lack of a foul call on Nash at the end was pretty suspect, too.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

^^ I have to agree, but the lack of a foul call on Nash at the end was pretty suspect, too.

this is a pandora's box, amigos, now wide open for all previous bad calls and all those bad calls to come as well.

Stern press conference @ 11 a.m. EST peepable on ESPN and on the web at www.nba.com

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I'm listening to it now, pretty boring so far, but I think I missed the first 10 or 15 minutes. However, I did just see the All-Star gaem will be in NO next year. All star game and Mardi Gras are around the same time, no? NO gon' be crackin' next February!

I'm listening to it now, pretty boring so far, but I think I missed the first 10 or 15 minutes.

You didn't miss anything. Getting more relevant now. The questions will be where it's at.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yuichi: please to speak on Kobe's dramatic weight loss.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    breaking rumor at work:

garnett to BOS for Jefferson, Gerald Green, and Theo Ratliff.

Just what the kids in PR are telling us...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

ha! I don't know. I think you might see a more explosive KB. I'm assuming that the weight loss was intentional. He's gonna be half a step quicker than before, and also have more energy in crunch time. There's only so much added weight that is beneficial for guards. And Kobe, being the dedicated player that he is, probably watched tape, looked at himself settling for too many jumpers, and figured he would be more effective shedding a few pounds. A good look in my opinion.

breaking rumor at work:

I read about a week ago that KG's not going anywhere....

Also, the severity of this Donaghy betting scandal just intensified with Stern's speech. lol And who's really buying this "isolated case, involving an NBA referee".
    Seriously....Such a bad look for the NBA.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Anyone think Stern might step down behind this? Seems like a pretty big fuck up on his watch.

I sincerely doubt this is limited to one ref. Seems like at least someone else would have to be in on it.

breaking rumor at work:

Yuichi may I recommend the basketball rumor clearinghouse www.hoopshype.com to you?

Bookmark it and you will no longer have to rely upon things you heard a week ago; you can, like me, be conversant with the very latest in unfounded fatuous rumor-mongering.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

ha! I don't know. I think you might see a more explosive KB. I'm assuming that the weight loss was intentional. He's gonna be half a step quicker than before, and also have more energy in crunch time. There's only so much added weight that is beneficial for guards. And Kobe, being the dedicated player that he is, probably watched tape, looked at himself settling for too many jumpers, and figured he would be more effective shedding a few pounds. A good look in my opinion.

Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ.

One imagines that, had Kobe gained twenty pounds, Yuichi's post on the subject would also have ended with "a good look in my opinion"...

breaking rumor at work:

Yuichi may I recommend the basketball rumor clearinghouse www.hoopshype.com to you?

Bookmark it and you will no longer have to rely upon things you heard a week ago; you can, like me, be conversant with the very latest in unfounded fatuous rumor-mongering.

hahaha. I think I've come across that site one time, but I quickly dismissed it as "blah blah blah". I will bookmark it though. It might be good fodder for highly speculative chatter on my blog. haha.

Jesus Christ.

He asked me to speak on it, so I spoke on it, you Chi-town non-baller.

Jesus Christ.

Might it be that luck was not expressing exasperation but was, in fact, offering a concurrence--referring to the greatest force in basketball history by one of the many nicknames by which we have come to know him?

Jesus Christ.

Might it be that luck was not expressing exasperation but was, in fact, offering a concurrence--referring to the greatest force in basketball history by one of the many nicknames by which we have come to know him?

ha! doubt it.

• Anyone think Stern might step down behind this? Seems like a pretty big fuck up on his watch.

This is what I'm saying dude.

Look how he spent his time and energy last offseason w/ the balls and dress codes.

I think it depends on how deep it goes (or attendantly how quickly they're able to silence the noise), but I could see it going so bad that it's an irrevokable black eye on Da Commish.

Anyone think Stern might step down behind this? Seems like a pretty big fuck up on his watch.

Look how he spent his time and energy last offseason w/ the balls and dress codes.

I think it depends on how deep it goes (or attendantly how quickly they're able to silence the noise), but I could see it going so bad that it's an irrevokable black eye on Da Commish.

Some of the games they're examining too... I mean that Suns game is a doozy... The NYTimes even showed clips of some shit he did in a Bulls Warriors game mid-season.

Please be serious, both of you.

This is David Stern.

They will have to pry the reigns of the League from his cold, dead hands; stepping down is not even in his vocabulary.

• Anyone think Stern might step down behind this? Seems like a pretty big fuck up on his watch.

Please be serious, both of you.

This is David Stern.

They will have to pry the reigns of the League from his cold, dead hands; stepping down is not even in his vocabulary.

This is true. Perhaps the discussion should be framed thusly, "If this were any other league not run by a power-mad egomaniac with a Napoleon complex, would the Commissioner have to step down?".

Anyone think they might asterisk this past season?

There are some pretty shocking numbers related to over/unders on ESPN.com...

• Anyone think they might asterisk this past season?

There are some pretty shocking numbers related to over/unders on ESPN.com...

I can think of one particular playoff series I'd like to see asterisked.....

Tim Donaghy made Baron Davis go insane for a week. GIMME BACK MY SON!!!!!!!!

Did he even officiate any of that series?

• Did he even officiate any of that series?

I dunno. Straws. Grasping. The hurting. The crying. It'll be okay.

(huddles in corner, clutches a football, rocks back and forth, mumbling something about "#41")