New York's Newest Spot (b/w What I've Been Doing)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Folks and Folls,It's my pleasure to announce the opening of Good Records! We are located at 179 East 3rd Street, Between Avenue A and Avenue B, right in the heart of the trendy "east village" and three blocks from the 2nd Avenue F stop on the subway.(add records)Starting July 1st, we will be open for business 6 days a week, 12-9 pm Tuesday through Friday and 12-10 pm weekends. For now we'll be closed on Monday (except, perhaps, by appointment or on holidays). We'll be in there working on the space for the next two weeks, feel free to drop by and say hi. We have over 2,000 records in stock. We are buying more every day. Soul, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Funk, Rock, Reggae, Brazilian, Latin, Disco, Soundtracks, Beats, etc. Used & new. $1-$1,000 (well, maybe not $1,000). We have been storing up some serious heatrocks that will be gracing the wall over the next few months! Don't sleep on the under-bins either... Come down to say hi, do some trades, and buy yourself something nice. holler at me ( [email]good.records@gmail.com[/email] ) for more info.As many of yall know, I've been working on this for a long time. I haven't done it alone. Massive, massive credit also goes to Simon, Zvi, Justin, Cosmo, Sween, Drez, Sketch, Tony, Chris V. & Josh B., Nick Catchdubs, Jake One, Dave at Baghat... of course Soul Strut, and all the tons of people I've built with here and elsewhere who have offered their valuable advice, records, and moral support. Truly there are too many to name. This store was born out of the desire for a better shopping experience in NYC - and our number one asset is yall, our customers.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah!!!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Nice, J!

I'm gonna have to make a special trip up there again soon to check you out.

You gonna have a sweet soul section??

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    the soul section will definitely be sweet...

EXCLUSIVE MIXES AVAILABLE!!!

First month:

Jonny Paycheck - Impalaville 2.1
    The Editors In Chief (Paycheck, Hoody Allen, & Jumex)

and I think we have a little something special from the hottest producer on Soul Strut... here's a hint, it goes well with activator and pomade...

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    nice! congrats, jp.

planned on going to manhattan the first week of july.. now i have even more reason to go.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Who wants to take bets on a timeline for JP's transformation from bitter record dude to bitter record store owner?

Instant?

For real though. This is huge man. I can't wait to check it out next week.

• No shit! Congrats man! I'll be stopping in this summer for sure.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    congrats man! Good to see everything panned out. I'll be there this summer!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    congrats man! thats awesome!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Can we get a grand opening shindig to plan our vacations around, JP? It would be nice to come hit the store and see the NYC Special Friends club and put in my aplication in person! Seriously, I would love to be able to be able to hit NYC and meet up with some of you knuckleheads this summer.

Yeah, we'd like to do one, it's a question of finding the right partner (ANYONE INTERESTED DON'T BE SHY - we can get some special guest action too on the wheels). Bankrolling a night at a bar/lounge/club is probably not the best use of my promotional budget... but the store itself is gonna be a good jump-off spot, the atmosphere will be very chill with dark wood grain (grippin) bins and shelves, plants, park bench, books, and of course, RACKORDS...

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    Had to return from the dead and prop up my main daimie for a quick second. The dude has put his heart and soul into this endeavor for months and I think it's really going to show in the wide array of heateretry in the bins. I mean, no offense to TSL, Gimme Gimme or Academy, but New York City is very much in need of another outlet to serve the serious collector. Not to say there's anything wrong with any of the fine establishments named above, but you would think the Rotten Apple would provide dozens of serious options for getting your shop on and it doesn't. Also, we're putting alot of emphasis on diversity of sound: we like 45 King AND Jorge Ben AND the Persuaders AND Television and don't think there's a damn thing wrong with having a store that caters to all these tastes equally, along with the Reggae, the gospel, and basically all GOOD music. Throw in some dope and affordable art by New York artists (and I don't mean some foll from Kansas who moved to Williamsburg last month), a smattering of vintage music books, and some real different and exclusive mixes, and I really think the makings of something special are going down here. Finally, Paychecks and the team want this place to be a real community: if you have things to offer in the way of art, mixes, or just wanna come by and contribute some intelligent conversation, do so by all means. Despite the perception of some foolios on here, we're all hell of laid back people. Anyways, support your peers out in the REAL world doing REAL things!!!!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Yeah, I was just thinking a wine/cheese/record storage art opening type gala at the actual store. I think you might be able to find a struggling DJ/musician to entertain...I heard they are all over NYC!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    make sure you come up with a better looking website than our local spot

http://www.goodrecords.com/

and, don't hire any indy rock dudes that inslut your taste upon checkout. and don't put that poppy picker record on the wall

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    congrats.

so what's the store's policy on industry outsiders?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    nifty. congratulations and all that. been a long time coming huh? I'm sure many a dudes have offered, but if you need any help on the web tip, I'm available.

best of luck
    rob

Noz - this is where you can come to get all the industry knowledge you currently lack.

MAD KNOWLEDGE BEING DROPPED!

• PLURPLUR 28 Posts
    HI!! R u gonna hav a BREAKZ section?

HI!! R u gonna hav a BREAKZ section?

No doubt!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Noz - this is where you can come to get all the industry knowledge you currently lack.

then i will come opening day. and i will bring a broom and dust pan for which to sweep up the many gems of knowledge scattered on your wood grained floor.

then i will come opening day. and i will bring a broom and dust pan for which to sweep up the many gems of knowledge scattered on your wood grained floor.

wood grain grippin'

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    congrats fellers.
    When's a good time to come try and sell you my Ocean and my Ramsey Lewis LPs?
    I mean my raers I dont want anymore.

Nice logo.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Congrats Paychizzle, I really should go to NYC, try to scoop raers, and argue if Uno Melodica is better than Prelude w/CPR.
    Say werd
    Peace
    T.N.
    PS If you have any rockstore leads, hollerate via pm.

Nice logo.

NICK CATCHDUBS IN DEEP CONCENTRATION

as for the sales trades and whatevers, pretty much any time. I won't be there every single day but the rest of the "Staff" is totally qualified to buy. If you're bringing in a huge amount might want to holler in advance.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yo, you need some Woody Herman and Brian Auger LPs?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    J/K. Congrats man! Nice logo btw.

Another reason I need to get out to NYC some time soon but until baby's old enough to gether 6 hr flight on...

Btw...

Yes, we will have lots of local rap otherwise unavailable in NYC. From B-Legit to Beltway8.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    SWEET!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Congratulations hommie! I will make it out in the next couple of months and take the wall home with me. Lol

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yes, we will have lots of local rap otherwise unavailable in NYC. From B-Legit to Beltway8.

i'm sold

• Options
    Yeah, we'd like to do one, it's a question of finding the right partner (ANYONE INTERESTED DON'T BE SHY - we can get some special guest action too on the wheels). Bankrolling a night at a bar/lounge/club is probably not the best use of my promotional budget... but the store itself is gonna be a good jump-off spot, the atmosphere will be very chill with dark wood grain (grippin) bins and shelves, plants, park bench, books, and of course, RACKORDS...

I could come down for the Canada Day guest spin. It's only a 1 1/2 hour flight away.

K.