New York's Newest Spot (b/w What I've Been Doing)

15678911»

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    As far as TSL goes- Jared's a good dude.

That's the only dude I fucks with in TSL. All them other dudes are snobs.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Jared is alright man, he has always been cool with me. Rob kinda flipped out on someone I was in the store with once but never gave me any ill vibe. He just seems kinda quiet and to the point (like me!) lol. I actually met Rob a long time ago at Bleeker Bobs. I was in there shopping and he asked me what I was looking for? I told him and he whispered to meet him at noon the next day one block away. So I did and he was there with the records. He brought them from him and I guess this was his side hustle, he would find out what customers wanted and then do this shit! Gotta love that.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    haha...rob the robot. thats a funny story. someone told me him and steve used to troop through the streets handing out "hustlers convention" business cards "we buy and sell records". if its true, very weird choice of album theme.
    steve is a good guy, just blessed/cursed with extra sarcastic brittish sense of humor. never saw rob exhibit emotion, let alone a sense of humor, but who cares? TSL is the shit and has been for a long as time. jared is like coolchris of the eastcoast, so lets appreciate. plus there was that whole shingaling+jared vs. soulstrut hilarious thread thing. damn that was good.

i really feel that good records is an understatement, and i havent even been there yet. im a bustout of philly some day soon and put rape dunky in a headlock.hooooohaaaaaaa

supreme, yall had the best record store guy in seattle = jimmy j.a.m.....hilarious erratic hilarious individual. shame the shop closed

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Jimmy was straight crazy!!! That was my man, in fact I need to track him down cause' he got some heat rocks in storage. He really annoyed 90% of his customers but the other 10% loved him. I had no problems with him at all. he was always drinking or getting high and would offer his customers "a beer".

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Jimmy was straight crazy!!! That was my man, in fact I need to track him down cause' he got some heat rocks in storage. He really annoyed 90% of his customers but the other 10% loved him. I had no problems with him at all. he was always drinking or getting high and would offer his customers "a beer"[/b].

how can anyone be mad at that?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Jimmy was straight crazy!!! That was my man, in fact I need to track him down cause' he got some heat rocks in storage. He really annoyed 90% of his customers but the other 10% loved him. I had no problems with him at all. he was always drinking or getting high and would offer his customers "a beer"[/b].

Yo jonny
    where is my beer ?!?
    that was the only thing missing @ good records yesterday afternoon
    the records were good, but damn, the bins looked like you was running a 1/2 price,
    buy one get 5 free sale shit.
    fill those bad boys up,
    all that space & you didn't want to buy any of my ez listening shit
    you needz that stock.
    Keep that westcoast vibe on the lower east side,
    stop having all those raers on the floor in nice carring cases sooo close by the exit,
    almost had to pick em up, looking all lonely & not in the bins.
    don't become that eastcoast record store owner grouch,
    unpriced raers on the floor, got to check with some other dude about price & shit,
    i thought you were the young boss !
    don't be tempting me like that, put that shit behind the counter,
    & quit killing me by showing me all that shit back behind the counter too !
    mellow out when me & my holmes need to finger them $$$ raers,
    got to see if them covers can stand some wear & tear & bending,
    & what's up with all the attitude just because we want to hear a couple dozen of them $$$,
    got a haul & pull up a few times on that wax,
    see how a quick edit would feel, do a bit of etch-o-sketch on that vinyl,
    shit, don't u know about scratchin ???
    anyway,
    keep away from good records, shhhh
    nothing for you to see there, keep a away,
    go look overthere, nothing happening over here

HA ! the joints are raer & $ not $$$,
    paycheck, you gonna sell out fast when people find out
    stay real, coming back today for round 2
    where is my beer bitch !

good records =

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I would like to point out that Johnny did offer me a beer. Although it was while he asked me to run to the deli to buy him a beer, his heart was in the right place.

But to be perfectly honest, at these prices I think we should all show up with a beer for Johnny.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Yo jonny
    where is my beer ?!?
    that was the only thing missing @ good records yesterday afternoon
    the records were good, but damn, the bins looked like you was running a 1/2 price,
    buy one get 5 free sale shit.
    fill those bad boys up,
    all that space & you didn't want to buy any of my ez listening shit
    you needz that stock.
    Keep that westcoast vibe on the lower east side,
    stop having all those raers on the floor in nice carring cases sooo close by the exit,
    almost had to pick em up, looking all lonely & not in the bins.
    don't become that eastcoast record store owner grouch,
    unpriced raers on the floor, got to check with some other dude about price & shit,
    i thought you were the young boss !
    don't be tempting me like that, put that shit behind the counter,
    & quit killing me by showing me all that shit back behind the counter too !
    mellow out when me & my holmes need to finger them $$$ raers,
    got to see if them covers can stand some wear & tear & bending,
    & what's up with all the attitude just because we want to hear a couple dozen of them $$$,
    got a haul & pull up a few times on that wax,
    see how a quick edit would feel, do a bit of etch-o-sketch on that vinyl,
    shit, don't u know about scratchin ???

???

Sorry man, I am not going to let you run through $250+ records on the listening station. Maybe some other store lets you do that (although I doubt it). That's not how my shop goes brother.

You asked to go through some unpriced, unsorted stock and I try to look out... and yall want to run through expensive records and be like, "i got that... oh, that's crazy..." but no they can't stand a little bending or needle popping or scratching, and I don't really let cats who spend $12 go through backstock. So in the future, you bring the bread and I'll bring the beer. But it's all coming off that floor because I didn't like how yall handled that.

Seriously though brother, yall went through the entire store and bought $40 worth of shit. The next dude in dropped nearly $300. Customers who break bread are able to look through backstock. Customers who haggle on $100 records do not. And brother green walked off with the $1 bin records I bought from him, so you owe me $11 now. I'm saying though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

damn paycheck,
    my term to serve you,

howz about a case of brew,
    what's yer brand ?

good records = good people

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    im gonna be in new york for 4 days / 3 nights in august (6th-9th) i will pop in for sure and check it out while im there.. gonnna start a new post about this anyway, peace.

im gonna be in new york for 4 days / 3 nights in august (6th-9th) i will pop in for sure and check it out while im there.. gonnna start a new post about this anyway, peace.

just don't finger them raers !!

JONNY
    youz gotz me confused with dem next guyz,
    i was strictly being Niney in there,
    sorry i didn't buy anything,
    or steal anything,
    if i was gonna boost something
    it woulda been them raers by the door,
    not the dollar hollers
    i swear i didn't finger them raers on the floor or in the back,
    didn't touch the vinyl or ttables,
    just checkin out others bad behavior.
    when i come today itz with pockets of green,
    you can pick the raers,
    say the price,
    i'm not even checking the condition,
    Good Records is good records
    sorry for yanking yer chain,
    saw how those guyz was pressing your buttons
    pure respect from me to you
    jest funning ya
    yer in the rekkid bidnes nows
    i'm bringing the beers & we'll whip those
    bastards with the empties if they come back
    paycheck rules 3rd street !!
    i found raers theres !!
    pleaze don't ban my ass
    i needz good rekkids !!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Who's corny alter ego is coffin joe? Headz wanna know thee deal.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    motherfuckers like that make you contemplate the ebay only basement.

it must be hell to deal with fools like this on a daily. grabbing all the wall jammies and just to point out some track that a friend of theirs had looped at one time and did nothing with. then they'll try to get on your good side by taking some $10 record off the rack telling you that they saw this on ebay for $40.

for real though jonny, try to keep your hair pigment as long as you can.

Jose Mojia Marins
    Good Records new #1 customer

Jose Mojia Marins
    Good Records new #1 customer

Sorry if I have you confused my man... so who are you??? I'm trying to think who was there at the time, Wrasslin Tim, Paul... ??? Come back through and introduce theeeself! Anyways cheers on the beers, records no longer near the door

But we did make an "expensive shit" bin

But we did make an "expensive shit" bin

raers at a bargain
    nutten but holy grails & smiles
    i'll stop by & say "cello" next time
    (i know, i suck )

love them Good Records !!

i'll stop by & say "cello" next time

Now I know who you are! ha!

I was thinking that when I read the bit about the "Norman" 12"... I was like, uh.. I heard this story before...

No worries, I will see you in a few weeks and say "cello"

OH BTW...

For anyone who's thinking of racking... couple things.

#1, I used to rack HEAVY. I know the tricks.

#2, the spot is under camera serveilance inside and out. I've seen some pics from it and that thing is SHARP...

#3. Spiked 2x4s behind the counter. I will chase that ass down the block!

#4. It's all love in my shop. Why hate?

Cheers yall,
    Sdot

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

#3. Spiked 2x4s behind the counter. I will chase that ass down the block!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Stopped in on Saturday afternoon after a Turkey Burger from Mama's

Very comfortable and intimate record buying atmosphere Good got goin' on. Too much good shit in there and had to run though as much as possible in a reasonably short period of time because Ms. Lady...well, you know the deal. Witness to the notion that JP will chase your ass down, almost happened while I was there, but fortunately no actual drama. Crossed a couple items off the want list and was turned on to some others. After I paid for a wall piece and turned to leave, J filled the space with another must have of mine - it took real discipline (and a phone call from shorty) to pull myself away. Left more than satisfide! Will definitely return this summer, props to making a living doing what you love. Respect for life and you'll get it back in return.

• I love Good Records NYC.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Witness to the notion that JP will chase your ass down, almost happened while I was there, but fortunately no actual drama.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21here's the game plan that's worked for me over the past few years:b, 21b, 21find someone on the street who will work for a sawbuck.b, 21he racks the dollar bin and moseys on out.b, 21while JP is chasing him down the street you've got 45 seconds to work the backroom

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21while JP is chasing him down the street you've got 45 seconds to work the backroom
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21^^^ obviously never been to GRNYC - "backroom" is a bathroom ^^^