New York's Newest Spot (b/w What I've Been Doing)

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Big shout to the God Supreme/Dee Rock...another piece of the Good Records puzzle. Look out for the exclusive Mr. Supreme meets Good Records disco mix coming soon.

Word, definitely good to meet the god.

Thanks for all the love folks, and we got some crazy shit in store (pun intended)!

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    the atmosphere will be very chill with dark wood grain (grippin) bins and shelves, plants, park bench, books, and of course, RACKORDS...

Yeah, Plants!

If I owned a record store I'd call it Jungle Music, and it would be a thick ass forest in there with all kinds of foliage hanging off the ceiling and shit. Nice touch! Plants like music so they'll be happy in there!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the atmosphere will be very chill with dark wood grain (grippin) bins and shelves, plants, park bench, books, and of course, RACKORDS...

Yeah, Plants!

If I owned a record store I'd call it Jungle Music, and it would be a thick ass forest in there with all kinds of foliage hanging off the ceiling and shit. Nice touch! Plants like music so they'll be happy in there!

And you customers could call it "Water Damage Records" as all the water the plants need drips and drabs onto your inventory!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, Plants!

And you customers could call it "Water Damage Records" as all the water the plants need drips and drabs onto your inventory!

I just want to hear more about this chill-out room thing Jonny mentioned?

• Options
    Can I use the bathroom when I roll through?

Yeah, Plants!

Well, it's not a "chill out room" as the store is only, in fact, one room, but we have invested a significant amount of resources into making this store really look incredible - all of the bins will be dark wood grain, the dollar bins roll out from underneith (also dark wood grain), the front counter all wood, glass display case as well, and the record wall display... well, that's gonna be special. I won't give it away yet but it's unlike any other store I've seen, it's lightyears easier to get records off of than the two-slat design most stores use, and it's gonna look GANGSTER. The design is by a good friend who has put together some of the hottest downtown sneaker boutiques. We are not playing!

Of course, the women in my life have made sure I take note of the girlfriends/companions of our customers and there will be books and magazines (not just XXL and W/P haha) on a table by the bench (which will be placed in front of those great windows). Instant chill out section.

Also, for the discerning gentleman like faux_rillz, we sell artwork by my man Kel5MH. Our house rocks like 5 or 6 joints, all musically-themed. A perfect touch for the apartment that has everything else.

Can I use the bathroom when I roll through?

I don't know if you'll fit (seriously)!

No, we are not the assholes that won't let you use the bathroom. Why is it I need to pee every time, fifteen minutes after I go into a record store? SERIOUSLY.

• come say hi on a sunday and talk shit to me in person.

• Options

Of course, the women in my life have made sure I take note of the girlfriends/companions of our customers and there will be books and magazines (not just XXL and W/P haha) on a table by the bench (which will be placed in front of those great windows). Instant chill out section

My girl's best friend opened a boutique on 6th St a couple years ago, I asked her if she was going to have a couch or something like that for when I come through, and she cut me off with "..you mean the asshole chair??".

Yeah, Plants!

Well, it's not a "chill out room" as the store is only, in fact, one room, but we have invested a significant amount of resources into making this store really look incredible - all of the bins will be dark wood grain, the dollar bins roll out from underneith (also dark wood grain), the front counter all wood, glass display case as well, and the record wall display... well, that's gonna be special. I won't give it away yet but it's unlike any other store I've seen, it's lightyears easier to get records off of than the two-slat design most stores use, and it's gonna look GANGSTER. The design is by a good friend who has put together some of the hottest downtown sneaker boutiques. We are not playing!

Of course, the women in my life have made sure I take note of the girlfriends/companions of our customers and there will be books and magazines (not just XXL and W/P haha) on a table by the bench (which will be placed in front of those great windows). Instant chill out section.

Also, for the discerning gentleman like faux_rillz, we sell artwork by my man Kel5MH. Our house rocks like 5 or 6 joints, all musically-themed. A perfect touch for the apartment that has everything else.

Well, that actually all sounds really nice, if not quite as promising as the prospect of PLUR DJing the chill-out room that I thought y'all were going to have.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    come say hi on a sunday and talk shit to me in person.

you know you're about to have a grip of little dudes come by just to see you on Sundays.

Fuckin' "I HATE RAPE_DONK" double decker tourists tour bus will be rolling through and stuff.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

Yeah, Plants!

I wanted to build a smoking lounge in my shop. Get all my customers really stoned and then let them loose on the racks. Every record would sound great on the headphones. I figured my weed expenses would be more than offset by the extra sales. Maybe when I open an Amsterdam or Vancouver branch...

• you know you're about to have a grip of little dudes come by just to see you on Sundays.

Fuckin' "I HATE RAPE_DONK" double decker tourists tour bus will be rolling through and stuff.

yeah, we're actually utilizing the 'i'm a fucking moark' section to point some of our favorties from the fagstrut contingent in the right direction.

edit: half joking. we'll still talke your money.

you know you're about to have a grip of little dudes come by just to see you on Sundays.

yeah, we're actually utilizing the 'i'm a fucking moark' section to point some of our favorties from the fagstrut contingent in the right direction.

"FANY"!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    we'll still talke your money.

TALKE
    MONEY

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Disgruntled employee of the week. This dude wants to go head up with the clerks at Kim's Video for title of "Surliest Pale Guy Who is Cooler than You". My money is on Donkeys.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Do you plan to have listening stations/allow portables?

Not sure if this was mentioned already or not.

We have one listening station, and I am perfectly willing to play shit on the house system as well.

Sorry, but I am not going to allow use of portables... that's what the listening station/house systems are for and there's no good way to allow folks to dig freely while keeping dudes from thrashing a $100 record on their fisher price. I'm open to suggestions though...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

We have one listening station, and I am perfectly willing to play shit on the house system as well.

Sorry, but I am not going to allow use of portables... that's what the listening station/house systems are for and there's no good way to allow folks to dig freely while keeping dudes from thrashing a $100 record on their fisher price. I'm open to suggestions though...

Nah, that's perfectly good for most people. It's just when you can't hear shit at all that people get pissy.

I recomend you have a wall of shame of little dudes (take a polaroid of cornballs that take 30 records to the listening station and not buy shit-especially when its shit like Miles Davis or Stevie).

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    flat plastic sound in the richmond dist. used to have wet-naps at the counter. i always thought that was a nice touch.

I recomend you have a wall of shame of little dudes (cornballs that take 30 records to the listening station and not buy shit-especially when its shit like Miles Davis or Stevie).

TSL keeps a box of $1 45s on the windowsill... one time while I was there this dude carried the whole damn box over to the listening station, took a seat, and proceeded to listen to its entire contents.

Hello?

You have no idea what you're looking for--the only thing you know for sure is that you're not prepared to spend any money. Get the f**k outta the store.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    maybe have a semi-seal for the $100+ records and state that only employees can open those for previewing on the house system.

Yeah that's kind of hard to enforce. For instance, say a homie comes in and wants to check out a wall piece. Why should he/she get to do it while digger #25847 can't? I mean, I know the answer to that but there's no real way to pull that off and keep customers happy.

All listening stations say, "don't touch wall records"... nobody listens though!

I will absolutely regulate on dudes breaking the rules though, that's one thing I've disagreed with other shops over.

Wet naps are a great idea, although I'm not sure you'll need them in a store that's so fresh and so clean.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Wet naps are a great idea, although I'm not sure you'll need them in a store that's so fresh and so clean.

You might need them in the bathroom, though.

That extra-special touch to help you "mint up."

You might need them in the bathroom, though.

That extra-special touch to help you "mint up."

You just reminded me of a note I took after I left Philly:

Note to self: Keep Raystar away from the 45s...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    wetnaps by the listening station would be good...........record dudes aren't known for washing around their ears.

What would be nice is a built in coffee shop, haha..........that would be extra KUFI SLAPS.

I will stop by soon and buy some smedium raers.

wetnaps by the listening station would be good...........record dudes aren't known for washing around their ears.

What would be nice is a built in coffee shop, haha..........that would be extra KUFI SLAPS.

***Young Phonics frantically retrieves the kufi/rugby/chinstrap pic from his hard drive***

• -- NYC resident and future Good Records stalwart.
    Let me know if you guys need any help on evenings/weekends.

Ha! I think we're good for right now.