Worst look EVAR!

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited April 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)

Here is a picture from the front of a store that sells "hip-hop" (gunit) gear in Taiwan...not a good look... they have business cards and all that shit...peace.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

• ...and yet, with the color scheme of your typical fast food burger joint.

amazing the kind of shit other countries seem to get away with.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Apparently the business card and t-shirt are modelled after the "Burger King" logo...hmmmmmm... I hope no one from Taiwan decided to wear that shirt on their trip to the Bronx...

peace.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I hope someone from Taiwan decides to wear that shirt on their trip to the Bronx...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I hope someone from Taiwan decides to wear that shirt on their trip to the Bronx...

I'll be waiting.

• lets turn this into a :5 pager:

whats worse? this or the nazi/Hitler restarant in India?

discuss.

Im going to go get my coffee...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    lets turn this into a :5 pager:

discuss.

I'd venture to say the Cleveland Indians logo is a worse look. This look and the india/hitler look can at least be attributed to some stupid/ignorant entrepreneur/individual in either of those places. For a logo like the Cleveland Indians to be acceptable in such a grand scale, in a MAINSTREAM avenue is a much worse look. My opinion.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Here is a picture from the front of a store that sells "hip-hop" (gunit) gear in Taiwan...

not a good look... they have business cards and all that shit...

peace.

Considering the abundant use of ???the N-word??? in hip-hop culture, is it a surprise that when a culture appropriates another culture they might not understand the severity of the words they hear and choose to repeat. For example, if I listened to Taiwanese rap and the equivalent of ???the N-word??? was used excessively I might not believe that it was potentially one of the most offensive words in the Taiwanese or Mandarin language.

• lets turn this into a :5 pager:

discuss.

I'd venture to say the Cleveland Indians logo is a worse look. This look and the india/hitler look can at least be attributed to some stupid/ignorant entrepreneur/individual in either of those places. For a logo like the Cleveland Indians to be acceptable in such a grand scale, in a MAINSTREAM avenue is a much worse look. My opinion.

good point

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    For a logo like the Cleveland Indians to be acceptable in such a grand scale, in a MAINSTREAM avenue is a much worse look.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    For a logo like the Cleveland Indians to be acceptable in such a grand scale, in a MAINSTREAM avenue is a much worse look.

Not as bad as the Minnesota Vikings.....now that's REALLY offensive!!!!

• For a logo like the Cleveland Indians to be acceptable in such a grand scale, in a MAINSTREAM avenue is a much worse look.

I know, considering the Vikings were all but exterminated by American settlers.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Are you seriously trying to have this argument?

• You two need to take a break from Soulstrut.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Are you seriously trying to have this argument?

Yeah....you're right....

The folks in Minnesota are just trying to play up the positive angle of Raping & Pillaging.....I guess most people forget about all the good things those Vikings did back in the day.

Can you imagine the outrage back 60 years ago when there was a team called the Atlanta Black Crackers!!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    You two need to take a break from Soulstrut.

To whom are you referring? Because if it's me, best believe I will have an argument with you (and if it isn't, my mouse finger is poised and ready to click the "cosign" graemlin for anyone who argues against you). I am also capable of calling in hommies to cosign anything I say, because we all know that if enough people say something on soulstrut it becomes the truth.

Ok, maybe I do need a break.

• Here is a picture from the front of a store that sells "hip-hop" (gunit) gear in Taiwan...

not a good look... they have business cards and all that shit...

peace.

Considering the abundant use of “the N-word” in hip-hop culture, is it a surprise that when a culture appropriates another culture they might not understand the severity of the words they hear and choose to repeat. For example, if I listened to Taiwanese rap and the equivalent of “the N-word” was used excessively I might not believe that it was potentially one of the most offensive words in the Taiwanese or Mandarin language.

Well said. That store name is not cool, but they probably don't see it as disrespectful, seeing as how they're jocking the "hip hop" culture.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

that is FUCKED UP.
    I would hope that pic doesn't make it to any publications in the states. Could cause hysteria possibly. That picture/store is a big F U to all people in America.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Asians and Europeans are a bit more oblivious about the state of racial matters in the states. That's all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Asians and Europeans are a bit more oblivious about the state of racial matters in the states. That's all.

Um - "NI**ER" is hardly a slur exclusive to the United States.

Why the Japanese get some sort of cultural pass for their racist
    views of blacks is beyond me ... from "Darkie Toothpaste" to
    "NI**ER KING" I seem to always hear excuses that it's "not the same."

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Um - "NI**ER" is hardly a slur exclusive to the United States.

Why the Japanese get some sort of cultural pass for their racist
    views of blacks is beyond me ... from "Darkie Toothpaste" to
    "NI**ER KING" I seem to always hear excuses that it's "not the same."

Just to clarify, this isn't Japan, it's Taiwan.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    that is FUCKED UP.
    I would hope that pic doesn't make it to any publications in the states. Could cause hysteria possibly. That picture/store is a big F U to all people in America.

I see your point, but I don't know. How much hysteria did mackaka cause? There is certainly a gap in cultural translation; it doesn't make it right, but it accounts for how it can happen. I think at this point in time racial slurs can only cause so much damage as it is such a well-trodden path. I'm not sure that people get as up-in-arms about this kind of stuff anymore. It could be conetmporary apathy, or it could just be redundancy giving way to stunted reactions, or it could be that I don't have a valid perspective on the issue. Hipster girls on my space calling themselves N is another issue though.

On a seperate but related issue, this message board often feels like a critical race theory course.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    a lot of you white folk are assuming they are native speakers of english.

You can bet these folks have no clue what the word really means, they just heard it in lyrics and took it out of context. Is it right? Hell no. Are they lacking a bit of forsight? Yup.

Imagine you using a word in mandarin because it sounds cool, but not knowing the full context of the meaning. It could just as easily happen to you.

Just to clarify, this isn't Japan, it's Taiwan.

oof - my bad, not a good look on my part.

a lot of you white folk are assuming they are native speakers of english.

You can bet these folks have no clue what the word really means, they just heard it in lyrics and took it out of context. Is it right? Hell no. Are they lacking a bit of forsight? Yup.

Imagine you using a word in mandarin because it sounds cool, but not knowing the full context of the meaning. It could just as easily happen to you.

I hear what you are saying, but you are also assuming quite a bit yourself.
    While it's very possible this is the case, it's also quite possible that
    a certain cultural insensitivity - or straight ignorant racism - is at play here.
    There are images of blacks used in Asia and Europe that were once common in
    the USA but are completely unacceptable here today - and I feel like the
    "they don't know what they are saying/doing" argument is a bit too much
    of a free pass for this behavior. I just think it's sad and more than
    a little messed up.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    [young_phon]I can't believe people are defending this[/young_phon]

if they have the resources to drop loot on g-unit gear and rare dj screw and 45 king b-sides, then they have the resources to learn the bare bone basics of the culture they so fetishize.

• a lot of you white folk are assuming they are native speakers of english.

But when you think of the logo job getting sent to the sign maker, graphic designer, printer, etc... and not one person bothered to say hey, wait a minute here? Can that many people in Taiwan really be so clueless? If I were opening the equivalent store here in the US and wanted to call it something in Taiwanese, the first thing I would do is clear it with someone from Taiwan first to make sure I wasn't calling my store "(insert offense here) KING" or something. Actually I'd probably call it "made in Taiwan". But seriously it's hard to imagine that NOBODY there knows the implications of the N word.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

But when you think of the logo job getting sent to the sign maker, graphic designer, printer, etc... and not one person bothered to say hey, wait a minute here? Can that many people in Taiwan really be so clueless?

you've listed 3 people in the chain, and yup, that can certainly happen. English is not as commonly spoken as you would imagine.

which also explains all those non-sensical engrish t-shirts you see jpegs of.

I am not defending it, but explaining why it can and has happened. Big difference!