Worst look EVAR!

Comments

• The question was ..Why is "you sound white" so offensive ?

I think its funny. Because I am white.

you may not support "Nigger King" but your first reaction is to laugh at or defend its existence

Actually, I think its funny, probably because I've lived in Asia and this just many examples of "WHAT THE FUCK!?" so by now its just funny to me. I'll give you an example.

When me and HJ went to Korea this fall we noticed girls wearing t-shirts that say "SUCK DICK" (which, unlike NIGGER KING, I heartily endorse!). Thing is, in Korea people wear clothes all the time with gobbledy-gook (no, not that gook, jesus) english on them. Shit like "Prepare the Bumblebee for love of Taco" or some shit like that. So when I started to to see these chicks in Shirts that say "SUCK DICK" I was like "oh boy... if only they knew what that meant!"

HJ, on the other hand swore up and down that they HAD to know what it means. We argued about this shit forever. I still think these girls have no idea that the "SUCK DICK" on their t-shirt is anything more than some American brand name or something. HJ found it kind of offensive, I just thought it was funny. Thing is though, Korean are ALWAYS copying random english shit and putting it on clothes with no idea what it means.

When I lived out there in the 90s, people were wearing clothes with what looked like the Gap logo, but it said Cap.

This fall I bought some socks that looked like Nike, but they said Mike, and at the end of the nike logo was a microphone. They copy shit left and right out there, and I always find it funny. Especially when it goes soooo wrong. NIGGER KING is fucking wrong. But I can see how they would have gotten there. It reminds me of the chain in Korea called "Donkey Fried Chicken". Thats a fucking chain resturaunt! Yeah, you would think that SOMEBODY would have asked a native english speaker if that made ANY FUCKING SENSE AT ALL, but no.... Because they really don't care. Their target audience isn't native english speakers.

I have no idea what the owners of NIGGER KING had in mind, but I would imagine it was like 'we sell hip hop black people things for the taiwans, bling bling, we take this part of hip hop word called NIGGA and then we mix in with american resturant BURGER KING yo! (which they have out in Taiwan) and we call it NIGGER KING! Clever!'

So yeah, I don't think NIGGER KING itslef is funny, its the disaster of it all that's funny. Its the fact that so many people can be that retarded thats funny to me. Like watching really really fat kids run. Yeah, its sad, but deep down you know there is something funny about that, even if you hate yourself for thinking it.

I hope I didn't lose my DOWN WHITE DUDE status with this post.

i love the secondary red text. that's some crazy theme they got.

Any more evidence needed that this shit sounds like it's racist but really it seems to, most likely, betray some noncomprehension shit?

Apparently the japanese like the look of english words and that's why they throw them up on shit with seemingly no regard for what the fuck they mean.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Goddamn for the last time, it's TAIWAN NOT JAPAN

http://www.alllooksame.com/

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Any more evidence needed that this shit sounds like it's racist but really it seems to, most likely, betray some noncomprehension shit?

Actually that second one is clearly meant to be conveying the msg it does...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

that's why they throw them up on shit with seemingly no regard for what the fuck they mean.
    And yet some sense of what they might mean...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Look at this if you think everyone should be held to an indelible usage of language.

How about, why is it that any time something race-related comes up (actually probably black related, because I don't think that there is much other quasi-critical race dialog going on here) the same thing happens? The post blows up, people generally spout off the same arguments, perspectives, feelings, et cetera, and then the post goes away and a week later it's the same thing. What the fuck is the point of a bunch of grown-ass men saying "fuck you" on the internet about racial issues every week?

If the issue really gets you going, then perhaps you should look further into it then a RR message board. There's tons of literature about this stuff that goes a bit deeper than "Fuck you."

And, if they don't know what the word means then it's absolutely fine, you can't trip about it. If you walk into the store, then it's another issue, but seeing as 95% of this message board will probably never visit the store, and 80% of this message board will probably never visit the country, it's like worrying about all the dudes that are saying nigger, faggot, wetback,kike, gook, broad, et cetera right now. Do you know how many people are sitting in their homes, offices, and cars, cursing a race, gender, or sexual orientation that is not theirs while I'm writing this?

Not to mention, do you know how many of us are guilty of the same behavior, just directed at a different group, and using different words?

Quick survey:
    If you think that this sign is a bad look, then would you mind disclosing how many times you've made a derogatory comment in the past week?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Quick survey:
    If you think that this sign is a bad look, then would you mind disclosing how many times you've made a derogatory comment in the past week?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Quick survey:
    If you think that this sign is a bad look, then would you mind disclosing how many times you've made a derogatory lighted sign[/b] in the past week?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    does "muthafuckin cunt" count?

• Goddamn for the last time, it's TAIWAN NOT JAPAN

yo dude, I'm not trying to say that shit, peep: if the problem is english words people don't understand I can only speak to what i've personally read, and it all relates to japan. is the situation somehow different? i mean, it seems to me that the images I posted are as good an example of what the problem is here as anything, and it's only relevant that they come from a country that uses english store names but which has a totally non-english native alphabet.

FWIW i'm pretty good at telling who is korean/japanese/chinese/vietnamese. Not probably capable of guessing taiwanese, but it's only for lack of exposure.

not trying to say japan=taiwan at all. it's like posting some pics of canada or mexico as an example of a phenomenon in the US. NOT racist.

• Any more evidence needed that this shit sounds like it's racist but really it seems to, most likely, betray some noncomprehension shit?

that's why they throw them up on shit with seemingly no regard for what the fuck they mean.
    contextually at least. but "using the child as provisions" I think is obviously just befuddled. As for the other pics, I think they know they're charged or "cool" sayings or pop culture words/phrases but their actual meaning I don't think is really appreciated.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you sound like a racist

• dayday 9,611 Posts

yo dude, I'm not trying to say that shit

yo dude, then wtf are you trying to say in a thread about a Taiwanese store

Apparently the japanese like the look of english words and that's why they throw them up on shit with seemingly no regard for what the fuck they mean.

?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

contextually at least. but "using the child as provisions" I think is obviously just befuddled. As for the other pics, I think they
    know they're charged or "cool" sayings or pop culture words/phrases but their actual meaning I don't think is really appreciated.

Bullschitt, dude--those are all clearly intended as humorous/confrontational.

?

Apparently he recognizes that Japanese technically aren't Taiwanese but believes that they are, for all practical purposes, the same.

I wouldn't waste any more keystrokes on him.

• Goddamn for the last time, it's TAIWAN NOT JAPAN

?

dude, forgive me for trying to post a representative example of what I saw to be a similar phenomenon that might explain a little bit how some shit like "N***** KING" could end up as a store name in Asia.

as for the second quote, perhaps the "the fuck" makes it sound worse than I intended.

Apparently the japanese like the look of english words and that's why they throw them up on shit with seemingly no regard for what they mean.

Peep

LINK

read the entry afterward also and tell me that my shit was racist. And tell me that my use of japanese examples was totally irrelevant to this discussion.

• Apparently he recognizes that Japanese technically aren't Taiwanese but believes that they are, for all practical purposes, the same.

wow that's a hasty conclusion. take a step back and read what I actually wrote.

and for that "alllooksame" thing I'm not perfect, but come at me with some accusations like that shit I think it's time to try it out yourself

go take that quiz:

Quiz

hatter is right.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hahahaha, this shit is priceless

Apparently he recognizes that Japanese technically aren't Taiwanese but believes that they are, for all practical purposes, the same.

wow that's a hasty conclusion. take a step back and read what I actually wrote.

and for that "alllooksame" thing I'm not perfect, but come at me with some accusations like that shit I think it's time to try it out yourself

go take that quiz:

Quiz

hatter is right.

LOL, dude, your little quiz doesn't interest me--perhaps the most racist assumption of all is that a passing impression of a person's phenotype tells you anything meaningful about them.

I don't care whether or not you can tell a Japanese person from a Taiwanese person on sight--that does little to redeem a person who has demonstrated that he thinks they both belong to a single mentally and culturally monolithic group.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i heard that all asians actually connect to a single hive mother brain that controls all their thoughts. this hive mother brain has been known to have connections to lizard people

• LOL, dude, your little quiz doesn't interest me--perhaps the most racist assumption of all is that a passing impression of a person's phenotype tells you anything meaningful about them.

I don't care whether or not you can tell a Japanese person from a Taiwanese person on sight--that does little to redeem a person who has demonstrated that he thinks they both belong to a single mentally and culturally monolithic group.

word. i'll grant that being able to distinguish nationalities does not a non-racist make, but accusing me of drawing a cultural equivalence on the basis of a single comparison of, uh, equivalence of english use is some childish reactionism.

as for demonstrating that i think they belong to a monolithic group I've done no such thing. quote me and show me where.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    i heard that all asians actually connect to a single hive mother brain that controls all their thoughts. this hive mother brain has been known to have connections to lizard people
    =hating on the dude who's getting clowned to make yourself look good through sub-par humor=nagl=immature behavior.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i was unaware that soulstrut was being touted as the bastion of maturity of the internet realm

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    i was unaware that soulstrut was being touted as the bastion of maturity of the internet realm

• Actually, I think its funny, probably because I've lived in Asia and this just many examples of "WHAT THE FUCK!?" so by now its just funny to me. I'll give you an example.

When me and HJ went to Korea this fall we noticed girls wearing t-shirts that say "SUCK DICK" (which, unlike NIGGER KING, I heartily endorse!). Thing is, in Korea people wear clothes all the time with gobbledy-gook (no, not that gook, jesus) english on them. Shit like "Prepare the Bumblebee for love of Taco" or some shit like that. So when I started to to see these chicks in Shirts that say "SUCK DICK" I was like "oh boy... if only they knew what that meant!"

korea=taiwan? obviously not what this guy is saying, but he said it first, so if you want to call names at least be consistent.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Actually, it is symptomatic not of countries, or languages, but writing formats which tend to concentrate according to geography. Any writing system based on an alphabet will not translate well to character based languages, and vice versa.

Brian you sound young. You young doggie?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Actually, I think its funny, probably because I've lived in Asia and this just many examples of "WHAT THE FUCK!?" so by now its just funny to me. I'll give you an example.

korea=taiwan? obviously not what this guy is saying, but he said it first, so if you want to call names[/b] at least be consistent.

DUDE - no one has called you ANYTHING. Your getting asshurt over my question is all on you.

I just mentioned (for the 2nd time) that we're talking about Taiwan, not Japan. Then you flipped out and took a quiz to show us you're not racist (?).

You can see how easy it would be to think that from your comments, right?
    Hopefully you're grown enough to admit that.

• not to take away from this intellectual discusion or anything, but brian, i went to this vn spot last weekend and they make their own sriracha! effen deelicious!

• DUDE - no one has called you ANYTHING. Your getting asshurt over my question is all on you.

I just mentioned (for the 2nd time) that we're talking about Taiwan, not Japan. Then you flipped out and took a quiz to show us you're not racist (?).

You can see how easy it would be to think that from your comments, right?
    Hopefully you're grown enough to admit that.

you[/b] posted the link to that quiz.

also mostly I've been replying to Faux who has accused me of:

Please paste one of my comments that makes it easy to think I'm a racist; I'd really like to know what did it. Also, please note that:

Q. Is Engrish found only in Japan?

A. No, Engrish can be found all over the world...[/b]

A. Most of the Engrish found on Engrish.com is not an attempt to communicate - English is used as a design element in Japanese products and advertising to give them a modern look and feel (or just to "look cool"). [/b] There is often no attempt to try to get it right, nor do the vast majority of the Japanese population (= consumers) ever attempt to read the English design element in question (the girl wearing the ???Spread Beaver??? shirt for example, had no idea what it said until a foreigner pointed it out to her). There is therefore less emphasis on spell checking and grammatical accuracy (note: the same can be said for the addition of Japanese or Chinese characters to hats, shirts and tattoos found in the US or Europe).

Also note that I wouldn't even use the term "Engrish" because that is kinda racist IMO.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Posting that quiz does not equate to calling you a racist. Sorry to burst your bubble olde chap.
    This thread has reached ridiculous levels of asshurtedness and I am done.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Are dudes here up on Singlish?

Phua Chu Kang!!!! That Ni**ger King ish is strictly Ah Beng.