Worst look EVAR!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I can think of no other culture that uses this word and is as far reaching as rap music & hip hop culture.

um... how about the one's who created it.

Who created it? And do they still perpetuate its use? And is their use of this word considered appropriate? For example can I turn on my local college station and hear this word used on any other show than the hip-hop shows?

This argument is truly some bizarro only on SoulStrut schitt.

People who have no right to use the word need to take responsibility for themselves and just not use it. End of story. Anybody engaging in intellectual contortions searching for ways to place some of the blame on Black people for the fact that the rest of the world continues to use it is pathetic and deluded.

Newsflash: all Black people could swear off its use tomorrow and the rest of the world would use it just as much as ever.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    I can think of no other culture that uses this word and is as far reaching as rap music & hip hop culture.

um... how about the one's who created it.

Who created it? And do they still perpetuate its use? And is their use of this word considered appropriate? For example can I turn on my local college station and hear this word used on any other show than the hip-hop shows?

This argument is truly some bizarro only on SoulStrut schitt.

People who have no right to use the word need to take responsibility for themselves and just not use it. End of story. Anybody engaging in intellectual contortions searching for ways to place some of the blame on Black people for the fact that the rest of the world continues to use it is pathetic and deluded.

Newsflash: all Black people could swear off its use tomorrow and the rest of the world would use it just as much as ever.

To clarify I didn't blame Blck people, I said that it wasn't absurd to place blame on rap music and hip-hop culture. This is a hip-hop clothing store. And you're right, if Black people stopped using this word it wouldn't disappear, there will always be hateful people perpetuating racism. But if rap music stopped abundantly using this word we probably wouldn't have signs like this and/ or young white girls calling one another N...a. Also, I agree people who have no right using this word should not us it, but as stated in an earlier post there is no manual for its usage.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i'm pretty sure its 'international corporate culture' that sends this word around the world, not rappers.

• The question was ..Why is "you sound white" so offensive ?

But nevermind ....The board is moving slow as hell and i really dont feel like taking this 5 pages ......i just want to point out that sometimes we are not who we think we are ....you may not support "Nigger King" but your first reaction is to laugh at or defend its existence

I never laughed at it or defended its existence.

My only two points were that the "You sound white" quip accomplishes nothing and that the name of this store wouldn't have existed without the abuse of the n-word in hip-hop.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you all sound white

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i'm pretty sure its 'international corporate culture' that sends this word around the world, not rappers.

you guys are really going out of your way to try to prove that the use of this word has nothing to do with hip-hop music & rap culture.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

you guys are really going out of your way to try to prove that the use of this word has nothing to do with hip-hop music & rap culture.

Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it, a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

• what about artistic license in using the word?

I.E. Patti Smith and her tune "Rock N Roll Nigger"?
    Lester Bangs in his proclaiming himself as "Last of the White Niggers"?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a snap hit w/ the n-word in it, a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

you're right.

Rappers are not responsible for the words that come out their mouth.

• i'm pretty sure its 'international corporate culture' that sends this word around the world, not rappers.

Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it, a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

Just a reminder that he's on your side.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Itaewon, Korea:

I'm sure they meant "Golden Dragon" but uh...

Not a gay bar. I think.

Gangsta King:

And my personal favorite:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    what about artistic license in using the word?

they are not responsible for thier words

there were people with bags of money forcing them to say it

• "International corporate culture" run amok.

Off Topic But Awesome:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a snap hit w/ the n-word in it, a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

you're right.

Rappers are not responsible for the words that come out their mouth.

you're right, thats exactly what i'm saying. Everything is a corporation's fault.

Or, just get one perspective.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The Hook Up- Bangs took a lot of heat (and rightfully so) for his 'racially insensitive' phase... and I believe he regretted it later on

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    The question was ..Why is "you sound white" so offensive ?

I think its funny. Because I am white.

you may not support "Nigger King" but your first reaction is to laugh at or defend its existence

Actually, I think its funny, probably because I've lived in Asia and this just many examples of "WHAT THE FUCK!?" so by now its just funny to me. I'll give you an example.

When me and HJ went to Korea this fall we noticed girls wearing t-shirts that say "SUCK DICK" (which, unlike NIGGER KING, I heartily endorse!). Thing is, in Korea people wear clothes all the time with gobbledy-gook (no, not that gook, jesus) english on them. Shit like "Prepare the Bumblebee for love of Taco" or some shit like that. So when I started to to see these chicks in Shirts that say "SUCK DICK" I was like "oh boy... if only they knew what that meant!"

HJ, on the other hand swore up and down that they HAD to know what it means. We argued about this shit forever. I still think these girls have no idea that the "SUCK DICK" on their t-shirt is anything more than some American brand name or something. HJ found it kind of offensive, I just thought it was funny. Thing is though, Korean are ALWAYS copying random english shit and putting it on clothes with no idea what it means.

When I lived out there in the 90s, people were wearing clothes with what looked like the Gap logo, but it said Cap.

This fall I bought some socks that looked like Nike, but they said Mike, and at the end of the nike logo was a microphone. They copy shit left and right out there, and I always find it funny. Especially when it goes soooo wrong. NIGGER KING is fucking wrong. But I can see how they would have gotten there. It reminds me of the chain in Korea called "Donkey Fried Chicken". Thats a fucking chain resturaunt! Yeah, you would think that SOMEBODY would have asked a native english speaker if that made ANY FUCKING SENSE AT ALL, but no.... Because they really don't care. Their target audience isn't native english speakers.

I have no idea what the owners of NIGGER KING had in mind, but I would imagine it was like 'we sell hip hop black people things for the taiwans, bling bling, we take this part of hip hop word called NIGGA and then we mix in with american resturant BURGER KING yo! (which they have out in Taiwan) and we call it NIGGER KING! Clever!'

So yeah, I don't think NIGGER KING itslef is funny, its the disaster of it all that's funny. Its the fact that so many people can be that retarded thats funny to me. Like watching really really fat kids run. Yeah, its sad, but deep down you know there is something funny about that, even if you hate yourself for thinking it.

I hope I didn't lose my DOWN WHITE DUDE status with this post.

ill just requote that since everyone seemed to ignore it. thats about how i feel. i dont think i was ever a down white dude so i dont have to worry about losing status. anyone else feel like that sign could be from a fuckin mind of mencia sketch or something? jesus christ i hate carlos mencia.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I mean fuck am I wrong that everyone's defense of this store here is that its a lack of cultural understanding? Whose fault is it that this culture is being beamed into people's homes without any historical context? Are rappers benefitting from it? Sure. Would it be nice if they were aware of it? Yes, of course. But does that mean we should blame them?

This is like zero steps away from guzzo saying 'black people should not use the n word cuz i say so.'

This is about having the proper perspective; rapper makes a track that becomes a regional hit, where people to greater or lesser degrees understand the context in which he's using the word. Record company buys the record. Kid is thrown a bag of money. Kid is happier than he was before. Record company makes money off the record by selling it in southeast asia. Southeast asian public hears the record and has no cultural context or understanding, although they find it aesthetically appealing. Store owner hears a signifier from rap records and names his store after it, conscious of its meaning and an asshole or merely ignorant.

Now we all agree that this name is horrible (I hope). The question is, who bears what responsibility for this action? Well, everyone involved in the process, to some degree. I'm just saying that blaming this kid who made a rap record for his friends is totally missing the forest for the trees.

• the abuse of the n-word in hip-hop.

Just...wow.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    The question was ..Why is "you sound white" so offensive ?

I think its funny. Because I am white.

you may not support "Nigger King" but your first reaction is to laugh at or defend its existence

Actually, I think its funny, probably because I've lived in Asia and this just many examples of "WHAT THE FUCK!?" so by now its just funny to me. I'll give you an example.

When me and HJ went to Korea this fall we noticed girls wearing t-shirts that say "SUCK DICK" (which, unlike NIGGER KING, I heartily endorse!). Thing is, in Korea people wear clothes all the time with gobbledy-gook (no, not that gook, jesus) english on them. Shit like "Prepare the Bumblebee for love of Taco" or some shit like that. So when I started to to see these chicks in Shirts that say "SUCK DICK" I was like "oh boy... if only they knew what that meant!"

HJ, on the other hand swore up and down that they HAD to know what it means. We argued about this shit forever. I still think these girls have no idea that the "SUCK DICK" on their t-shirt is anything more than some American brand name or something. HJ found it kind of offensive, I just thought it was funny. Thing is though, Korean are ALWAYS copying random english shit and putting it on clothes with no idea what it means.

When I lived out there in the 90s, people were wearing clothes with what looked like the Gap logo, but it said Cap.

This fall I bought some socks that looked like Nike, but they said Mike, and at the end of the nike logo was a microphone. They copy shit left and right out there, and I always find it funny. Especially when it goes soooo wrong. NIGGER KING is fucking wrong. But I can see how they would have gotten there. It reminds me of the chain in Korea called "Donkey Fried Chicken". Thats a fucking chain resturaunt! Yeah, you would think that SOMEBODY would have asked a native english speaker if that made ANY FUCKING SENSE AT ALL, but no.... Because they really don't care. Their target audience isn't native english speakers.

I have no idea what the owners of NIGGER KING had in mind, but I would imagine it was like 'we sell hip hop black people things for the taiwans, bling bling, we take this part of hip hop word called NIGGA and then we mix in with american resturant BURGER KING yo! (which they have out in Taiwan) and we call it NIGGER KING! Clever!'

So yeah, I don't think NIGGER KING itslef is funny, its the disaster of it all that's funny. Its the fact that so many people can be that retarded thats funny to me. Like watching really really fat kids run. Yeah, its sad, but deep down you know there is something funny about that, even if you hate yourself for thinking it.

I hope I didn't lose my DOWN WHITE DUDE status with this post.

People are so quick to point a finger.

Look, Dizzy makes a valid point. If you've ever lived in Asia, you would understand the reverse "lost in translation" culture w/ english. Neither I or Dizzy is defending the issue, but just explaining why such a cultural phenomenon happens.

This is about perspective. As most of you are born and raised in the USA, sometimes it's really hard for you folks to see beyond "YOUR" perspective. People in (insert foreign country) did not grow up barraged by the white/black racial divide. They just don't know, simply put, because they haven't lived in your shoes (vice versa).

Again for the third time, is the signage offensive? Of course it is. Can you understand the circumstances that led to its existence? It doesn't seem to be because the word elicites such a rage it clouds your judgement. Folks are only prepared to see what they want to see.

I hope I don't have to re-explain myself for the 4th time.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Imagine you using a word in mandarin because it sounds cool, but not knowing the full context of the meaning. It could just as easily happen to you.

Unlikely.

I might use a word in conversation whose meaning and history I don't fully understand, but it's unlikely I'd name my store after that word without first doing some homework.

Why is it unlikely? You're assuming from your perspective. Not everybody has the same train of thought or logic as you.

You're forgetting the fact there are billions of people in the world that are for a lack of a better word, stupid.

• i'm pretty sure its 'international corporate culture' that sends this word around the world, not rappers.

Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it
    Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it[/b] , a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

The theme of this thread is taking responisibility for your actions, yet this 19-year-old kid doesn't have to? I have never used the word, and don't think it's appropriate in any circumstance, but I don't think corporations are leading the charge with its use.

jesus christ i hate carlos mencia.

I just thought I would cosine this part really quick.... heartily...

Fake ass wannabe mexican.

Alright, back to Taiwan (which by the way is an AWESOME place, I can't wait to go back).

Also, To Sheep: Didja buy anything?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I mean fuck am I wrong that everyone's defense of this store here is that its a lack of cultural understanding? Whose fault is it that this culture is being beamed into people's homes without any historical context? Are rappers benefitting from it? Sure. Would it be nice if they were aware of it? Yes, of course. But does that mean we should blame them?

This is like zero steps away from guzzo saying 'black people should not use the n word cuz i say so.'

Don't take one snarky statement I made, rearrange its meaning and then put words in my mouth.

I'm not even speaking on race here. I'm speaking on responsibility.

Own your words. passing the buck is a bitch move.

You say something offensive you can apologize for it or stand by it, but to blame someone else for the words coming out your own mouth is beyond stupid.

• the abuse of the n-word in hip-hop.

Just...wow.

You're right. Scratch "abuse" and replace with "use."

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i seriously saw some skit where he had a sign with famous african american peoples faces and was asking people on the street if they were 'niggas' or something to that effect. it not only made no sense and was highly offensive. it wasnt funny

and method man was taking part. oof.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it
    Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it[/b] , a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

The theme of this thread is taking responisibility for your actions, yet this 19-year-old kid doesn't have to? I have never used the word, and don't think it's appropriate in any circumstance, but I don't think corporations are leading the charge with its use.
    you're missing the point. Read my last post.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Don't take one snarky statement I made, rearrange its meaning and then put words in my mouth.

I'm not even speaking on race here. I'm speaking on responsibility.

Own your words. passing the buck is a bitch move.

You say something offensive you can apologize for it or stand by it, but to blame someone else for the words coming out your own mouth is beyond stupid.
    yeah ok i agree with this but it doesn't really have anything to do w/ what i said.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    jesus christ i hate carlos mencia.

I just thought I would cosine this part really quick.... heartily...

Fake ass wannabe mexican.

Alright, back to Taiwan (which by the way is an AWESOME place, I can't wait to go back).

Also, To Sheep: Didja buy anything?

Yo Dizz,

you gotta get back out here. Things are quite ruckas right about now, nothing like last time....

I haven't actually set foot in the store, but I will be making the trek out there to cop some business cards and a souviner t-shirt or something... damn... this is a 5 pager already. I better not post any of the various "black" products they have for sale here in Taiwan...

Doritos have just released the REGGAE CHEESE flavour out here...

peace.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Doritos have just released the REGGAE CHEESE flavour out here...

Ok, that is funny.

And to keep it race related, it's a description that would fit every white kid from Oregon I've ever seen at a reggae show.