Worst look EVAR!

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Thanks for showing that. I'm white and I found it funny. The again, I find things funny based on the "what the fuck?!?" factor. Some of you need to get a grip.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would be down to try those reggae cheese doritos. the shoyu doritos are whats really though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    reggae cheese doritos

please tell me they are ganjah flavored

please tell me they smell like Patchouilli

• there are some really bad looks on this site lately when it comes to blatent racist shit.

there are some really bad looks on this site lately when it comes to blatent racist shit.

there are some really bad looks on this site lately when it comes to blatent racist shit.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Some of you need to get a grip.

Meaning if some people can't find the humor in "Nigger King" they're just a little too uptight ................amazing

• WHITE PEOPLE I LIKE AKA "NAW HE"S ONE OF THE GOOD ONES":

BCAUSE
    MORSECODE
    ROSSHOGG
    CATCHDINI
    THE RUB DUDES
    "HAIRY BELAFONTE"
    MY BOSS GARTH
    COOLCHRIS
    WHITECASTLE
    MY COWORKERS
    JAKEUNO
    CAS-MONEY
    DIZZYBALLZ
    DEECEE

There's more but I'm forgetting some...(

Pardon me while I return your Christmas gift.

I heard you had a gerbil on your Christmas list.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This is a hip-hop clothing store.

No it is not. It is a parody of Hip Hop.

• I'm still holding out on accepting the fact that my man is white.

seasons beatings 'till the next saturnalia.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    and an ill nana to you too

• i'm pretty sure its 'international corporate culture' that sends this word around the world, not rappers.

you guys are really going out of your way to try to prove that the use of this word has nothing to do with hip-hop music & rap culture.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
    Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it
    Yeah, some 19-year-old kid makes a local snap hit w/ the n-word in it[/b] , a record company throws him a bag of money and he's supposed to be responsible for them selling that shit on some southeast asian island that is ignorant of american history? gtfowtbs for real.

The theme of this thread is taking responisibility for your actions, yet this 19-year-old kid doesn't have to? I have never used the word, and don't think it's appropriate in any circumstance, but I don't think corporations are leading the charge with its use.
    you're missing the point. Read my last post.

You're right, my bad.

• i think in a lot of these race threads, any discussion of perspective or context is confused for condoning racism.

• oh, and two other things:

1) i'll preemptively throw in that i sound white, and yes i am, but i think we'd long ago established both those things.

and

2) all the talk about character tattoos reminded me of a girl (friend of friend) who walked into a tattoo shop and said she wanted a chinese character tattoo. the artist said, "i only know one. it means, 'tattoo'." She said, "I'll take it."

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I often find it funny when people do very wrong things,
    especialy when they don't even realize it... sorry.

okay, forgive me my misled and warped sense of humor...
    let me try this a more serious way:

Why should someone in Taiwan even get the idea to name a store "Nigger King"? It is probably not very likely that this is the result of a long Taiwanese history of racial prejudice against black people. I would also doubt that the owner of this store had a grandfather in the KKK (although in the ages of globalisation just about anything is possible) or was exposed to racial slurs by his hateful and bigoted parents in his childhood. Maybe the founder of the Nigger King just heard the N-word being used a lot on Rap records and doesn't even know that it's a degratory term. Hey, Americans to this day haven't understood that an Entr??e is a fucking appetizer and not the main course... I know, I shouldn't compare a racial slur with plain stupid but if they don't know, they don't know. Just be thankful that "Entr??e" isn't french for "Heil Hitler"!

The reason is probably just idiocy, bad knowledge of the english language and too much MTV in negotiable parts.

I guess closing down the store wouldn't be an option, where else should Taiwanese people then go to buy their baggy pants and 50-cent T-Shirts? As a verdict, I would suggest forcing them to rename the store "Yigger Queen".

What about an intercontinental punishment program that would ship white hipsters who used the N-word to Taiwan for two years of forced labor at the Yigger Queen?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just found out today that I am a "cool" "white guy."

• I just found out today that I am a "cool" "white guy."

nuh-uh, SON. I just meant 'Leven and Ayers.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    all i visualize in this thread is jackie chan in rush hour in that bar scene.

i dont know if i can contribute any perspective, but just to give some people some perspective that have spent their whole lives in north america (and as mentioned by other posters, don't interpret this as rationalizing the sign, but offering and idea of WHY it may have occured in the first place...)

i went to Goa (southern India) back in 1994. I was only into hip hop then, so i was shaken when i got their and found out that my cousins who i never known more than a few months of my life time were heavily into metallica. I told them i kind of liked nirvana (this was right after the unplugged album came out) and they looked at me strange. they go, isn't nirvana one of those "devil worshipping bands"? WHAT? WHAT THE FUCK? they were fans of metallica who quoted lyrics out a bible or some shit and they were offended by nirvana? STRANGENESS...

then i had a 10 year old cousin who kept going "what the fucks man, what the fucks man what the fucks man", all the while my older uncles, aunts, grandfather, grandmother and other cousins said nothing. THIS IS PERHAPS THE MOST SINGLE MOST OFFENDING WORD LANGUAGE IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. he learned the words from north american action movie...my guess is something with arnold swatchnegger.

Dudes, they didnt know what the word FUCK meant, nevermind the severity, nevermind the multiple meanings. We have our own word for it, but they didnt know the english terminology.
    [/b]

i would have swore i was from mars after witnessing that. and that's all i have to contribute. i hope i've added to your perspective.

and i'l like to add that telling a black person NOT to be offended by the signage is just fucking stupid. i'd be offended in a similar case if they had south asian cuisine called Paki Pakoras or something. unless you've ever been addressed by a slang term that just carved into your soul,with rage and hate you will never understand this. So understand that i'm actually capable of seeing both sides here, and if you can't get that, your perspective may be limited, or your ego outweighs it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Culture gaps.

My daughter is taking some advertising classes and apparently Coca-Cola came out with a slogan some years back that translated to "eat the wax tadpole" in at least one Asian country.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    apparently Coca-Cola came out with a slogan some years back that translated to "eat the wax tadpole" in at least one Asian country.

Not exactly...

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp

• bump

• When Parker Pen marketed the ball-point pen in Mexico, the ads were supposed to say "It won't leak in your pocket and embarrass you." However, the company mistakenly thought the Spanish word "embarazar" meant embarrass. Because of this, their ads translated to "It won't leak in your pocket and make you pregnant."

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

then i had a 10 year old cousin who kept going "what the fucks man, what the fucks man what the fucks man", all the while my older uncles, aunts, grandfather, grandmother and other cousins said nothing. THIS IS PERHAPS THE MOST SINGLE MOST OFFENDING WORD LANGUAGE IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. he learned the words from north american action movie...my guess is something with arnold swatchnegger.

Dudes, they didnt know what the word FUCK meant, nevermind the severity, nevermind the multiple meanings. We have our own word for it, but they didnt know the english terminology.
    [/b]
    What do you think it was about that phrase containing the word "fuck" that made your cousin choose to repeat it? Might he have picked up on some faint sense of its meaning/power/connotation (perhaps enough to not be totally innocent)?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Why should someone in Taiwan even get the idea to name a store "Nigger King"? It is probably not very likely that this is the result of a long Taiwanese history of racial prejudice against black people. I would also doubt that the owner of this store had a grandfather in the KKK (although in the ages of globalisation just about anything is possible) or was exposed to racial slurs by his hateful and bigoted parents in his childhood. Maybe the founder of the Nigger King just heard the N-word being used a lot on Rap records and doesn't even know that it's a degratory term. Hey, Americans to this day haven't understood that an Entr??e is a fucking appetizer and not the main course... I know, I shouldn't compare a racial slur with plain stupid but if they don't know, they don't know. Just be thankful that "Entr??e" isn't french for "Heil Hitler"!

The reason is probably just idiocy, bad knowledge of the english language and too much MTV in negotiable parts.

I guess closing down the store wouldn't be an option, where else should Taiwanese people then go to buy their baggy pants and 50-cent T-Shirts? As a verdict, I would suggest forcing them to rename the store "Yigger Queen".

What about an intercontinental punishment program that would ship white hipsters who used the N-word to Taiwan for two years of forced labor at the Yigger Queen?

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THIS BULLSHIT. WHAT EVER REASON YOU WANNA CHALK IT UP TO DOESNT MAKE IT OK. DONT TRY TO INTELLECTUALIZE STUPIDITY.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THIS BULLSHIT. WHAT EVER REASON YOU WANNA CHALK IT UP TO DOESNT MAKE IT OK. DONT TRY TO INTELLECTUALIZE STUPIDITY.

I don't think Frank was making any effort to imply that it was OK. I also see him calling it "idiocy," which is kind of synonymous with stupidity. I think most people here (with few fringe exceptions) agree that this is not an acceptable or cool thing. I also think most people agree that it was done out of ignorance, in one form or another. Arguments over responsibility aside, it's ridiculous for people to try and argue that this shouldn't be seen as offensive by those who feel offended. It is highly offensive. But it's also kind of ridiculous to assume that the Taiwanese who put this up even comprehend the weight that the word carries in our society. Sure, they have the potential to, but they more than likely never will. Calling it an international faux pas wouldn't be strong enough, but it is just another illustration of the vast differences between various cultures on this planet, which sometimes produce unfortunate results.

• I often find it funny when people do very wrong things,

hey, calm down...that was probably the most lucid and logical theory of this situation yet. I havent read one word that says this is "OK". There has to be an explaination of how/why this happened..folks are throwing their theories out there...I havent read one word that says "hey, this is a great idea"

• People don't know something is offensive unless someone tells them it's offensive.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    china should just take over taiwan and things like this wouldn't happen

• china should just take over taiwan and things like this wouldn't happen

now you did it!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Can someone offer an explanation or theory on how they got the spelling correct ?

• Can someone offer an explaination or theory on how they got the spelling correct ?

Can someone offer an explaination or theory on how they got the spelling correct ?

Quite possibly someone involved did have some knowledge of the word itself and what it meant, which makes this NAGL for sure. I think what people are trying to get across is that even knowing the word and what it means doesn't give them any practical, real-life knowledge about how it affects people. I didn't wince when I saw alieNDN type "Paki," but if I lived in the UK and had Pakistani friends (or if I were from Pakistan), that word would probably seem a whole lot more offensive to me. Unfortunately, and this goes for Americans as much as anyone else, it's hard to understand the effects of your actions when they affect people you cannot see or have no contact with. Which, incidentally, is why it's easier to torture Iraqi prisoners when they have bags over their heads.