THE OFFICIAL NFL 2006 THREAD

Comments

• Textbook[/b] Pats victory - keep it close, force
    turnovers, let the other team beat themselves...a couple
    miracle plays to rescue them from the dead, a last minute
    kick for the win.

BRING ON THE PONIES!!!

Cosig.
    The Troy Brown play will now take its place amongst the other plays on the Patriots mantle.
    Next week's game is gonna have people's heads blowing up- so much story here.
    If the Pats win in the dome, and then take XLI, they will ascend from the level of dynasty to Pantheon.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    4:36 LEFT IN THE GAME ...

Your defense is dog tired ..

your league MVP running back is having a great day ...

your pro bowl tight end is your leading receiver in the game

Your quaterback is playing like shit....

Your receivers are playing nervous..

Your o-line can't pick up the blitz ..

First play - L.T off the right tackle for 6 yard

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS IS THE LAST TIME L.T WOULD TOUCH THE BALL??????!!!!!!!!

ANTONIO AND LADAINIAN MARCHED YOU DOWN THE FIELD ON YOUR PREVIOUS DRIVE FOR A TOUCHDOWN ...SO..... WITH YOUR SEASON ON THE LINE YOU DECIDE YOU NEED TO GET THE BALL TO VINCENT JACKSON AND ERIC PARKER ?????

MARTY !!!! YOU FUCKIN BUM !!!

The 2 minute drill before halftime should be reason enough to fire this dude ...DID YOU NOT LEARN YOUR LESSON IN CLEVELAND ??!!! YOU MISERABLE BASTARD MARTY!!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    sad night in SD, so long Marty

• First play - L.T off the right tackle for 6 yard

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS IS THE LAST TIME L.T WOULD TOUCH THE BALL??????!!!!!!!!

ANTONIO AND LADAINIAN MARCHED YOU DOWN THE FIELD ON YOUR PREVIOUS DRIVE FOR A TOUCHDOWN ...SO..... WITH YOUR SEASON ON THE LINE YOU DECIDE YOU NEED TO GET THE BALL TO VINCENT JACKSON AND ERIC PARKER ?????

MARTY !!!! YOU FUCKIN BUM !!!

The 2 minute drill before halftime should be reason enough to fire this dude ...DID YOU NOT LEARN YOUR LESSON IN CLEVELAND ??!!! YOU MISERABLE BASTARD MARTY!!!!

I would argue that Rivers didn't play like shit; his receivers were more of the problem than he was.

But, you are dead on. 6 yard run, and that gives you what reason to stop running this guy? Crazy and unforgivable.

Oh, and on the real tip, happy birthday, Ed- football talk on here would be nothing without you.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

You CANNOT underestimate the power of experience in determining the outcome of the Chargers/Patriots game. It was evident during those final Patriot possessions, especially as exemplified by Tom Brady, that the team previously had been in these situations. Ultimately, this is what wins championships in any sport: The ability to execute effectively at crunch time. The Pats offense looked like they were on the practice field during that last drive: Cool, calm, and collected. Oh yeah, they will beat the Colts next week as the Colts have shown an inability to execute well in these situations. If they make Manning move out the pocket, then He will undoubtedly fuck up when made to improvise. He only plays well off the sheet music. Happy birthday, Ed!!! You're dude, dude!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hey,

You CANNOT underestimate the power of experience in determining the outcome of the Chargers/Patriots game. It was evident during those final Patriot possessions, especially as exemplified by Tom Brady, that the team previously had been in these situations. Ultimately, this is what wins championships in any sport: The ability to execute effectively at crunch time.

I mean, fuck the Pats and all that (nothing personal...it's just that success breeds contempt), but they are really hard to beat come January because even if they're playing what looks to be a superior team, they simply know how to get the job done and will go out and do it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Seriously, perhaps the greatest Patriot of all time.

Mr. 3rd Down.

Troy Brown is a FOOTBALL player.

RECOGNIZE THE REAL.

Thanks guys

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

You CANNOT underestimate the power of experience in determining the outcome of the Chargers/Patriots game. It was evident during those final Patriot possessions, especially as exemplified by Tom Brady, that the team previously had been in these situations. Ultimately, this is what wins championships in any sport: The ability to execute effectively at crunch time.

I mean, fuck the Pats and all that (nothing personal...it's just that success breeds contempt), but they are really hard to beat come January because even if they're playing what looks to be a superior team, they simply know how to get the job done and will go out and do it.

This is exactly why, transitioning to the NBA, the Miami Heat beat the Dallas Mavericks (who were CLEARLY more talented than the Heat) for the 2006 NBA title. It's not just about talent, but execution down the stretch. Anyone who has had to win a basketball game from the line with 0.01 left on the clock understands what I'm saying (I had to do this did this back in high school; 90%+ from the line-related). Back to the NFL, this is precisely why I have NO confidence in the Colts (or Bears) next week (shaky quarterback-related, more so with Grossman though).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• 4:36 LEFT IN THE GAME ...

Your defense is dog tired ..

your league MVP running back is having a great day ...

your pro bowl tight end is your leading receiver in the game

Your quaterback is playing like shit....

Your receivers are playing nervous..

Your o-line can't pick up the blitz ..

First play - L.T off the right tackle for 6 yard

I was scratching my head over that one as well. I knew they were losing at that very moment. This was the only losing team I picked to win this weekend...

• sad night in SD, so long Marty

No way. The team didn't execute. Can't blame Marty for that.

Ron Mexico is a retard.

Go Colts !!

Go Bears !!

We accept paypal

IT AINT OVER G.P !!!!

• If they make Manning move out the pocket, then He will undoubtedly fuck up when made to improvise. He only plays well off the sheet music.

i'm not sayin manning is a mobile qb by any means....
    but you didn't watch many colts games this year. he's made some butter throws on the run... and obviously he's constantly improvising.

i wanna see colts-bears.

So, is this "THE PATRIOTS HAVE NO CLASS" story actually
    being played around the country this week, or is it just
    a local thing? It's all they talked about for the first
    few days after the Chargers game, and it's completely retarded.

Maybe the Pats did get a little - um - loose after the win, but
    for SD to go bawling all over the place about being taunted
    after that game is just a laugh ... seeing as how the week
    BEFORE the game, the Chargers talked all kinds of shit, held
    a public rally (like what real teams do AFTER they win the
    Super Bowl, not that SD would know anything about that) where
    Merriman got up and told the crowd he was going to "hit Tom
    Brady in the mouth" ... while, throughout that whole week, all
    the Pats did was give mad respect to SD, say they were the best
    team, a huge challenge, etc, etc...

Talk mad shit before and during a huge game in which you are
    favored to win, don't be surprised if the team that beats you
    decides to give it all back when the buzzer sounds!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    LT was upset, he lost it when he saw the Pats doing the Lights Out. Oh well. There's always next year.

Happy Birthday, M**k!

Yeah, I was just wondering if it was as
    big a story as they are acting around here...
    I did see it on ESPN and stuff, it just seemed
    blown out of proportion, mainly because LT usually
    is quiet and doesn't stir shit up, so people took
    notice...

• Ron Mexico is a retard.

Go Colts !!

Go Bears !!

We accept paypal

IT AINT OVER G.P !!!!

How bout this Ed......never let it be said I'm not a sporting man......pre-season....dunno if I picked it here but I had Bears/Colts. Now, you know I'm taking the Saints in this game and that's a heart and head pick and I tell you right now don't go throw no real dough away on the Monsters of the Midway......but the matchup I need for my SAints in the Bowl? Patriots. Manning would slice and dice the Saints. Got a puncher's chance going against Gaffney and Caldwell tho (no offense Pats fans, kitchenknight knows how much respect I have for that team it's all about matchups though).

So yeah.

Saints
    Pats

You could be tied goin into the Super Bowl, but I say still up one worst case for me. Saints gon' win it.

WHO DAT? WHO DAT? WHO DAT SAY DEY GON' BEAT DEM SAINTS? WHO DAT?

• Go Bears !!

I'm interested in yr take on this game. Is this a pick more for our lil' wager or do you favor the Bears in this matchup? If the Saints can get to Rex early it's a wrap. Failing that, I still think the Bears have a hard time going score for score w/ the Saints. They'll have to force turnovers. Hester is the wild card.

So, is this "THE PATRIOTS HAVE NO CLASS" story actually
    being played around the country this week

Not really...

• So, is this "THE PATRIOTS HAVE NO CLASS" story actually

Not really...

I dunno, they explored the topic for a couple of days on both the Rome show and the Dan Patrick show, probably 2 of the biggest sports talk radio shows in the country.

Put it this way...I watched a good chunk of the Pats first Super Bowl win on NFLN last night. What a game btw. That team has come a long way as far as their demeanor and I'm sure there are peeps on this board who can verify that Bill Bels is an arrogant asshole, football geniuship not withstanding.

As to the game....sorry, but Merriman is wrong in the first place for doing that shit. If you are gonna meltdown on your home turf after a 14-2 season and literally choke away a game, you gots to deal. LT couldn't and that's a shame but I give him a pass based on emotion.

Is this a pick more for our lil' wager or do you favor the Bears in this matchup?

I actually like the Bears in this game ....The Saints loss to Washington exposed a few things.....and there's no way Chicago is going to lose this game at home ....The Saints had their Super Bowl last week....The Patriots had their Super Bowl last week....Chicago and Indy are on a mission..

Good call on your pre-season picks

• So, is this "THE PATRIOTS HAVE NO CLASS" story actually

Not really...

I dunno, they explored the topic for a couple of days on both the Rome show and the Dan Patrick show, probably 2 of the biggest sports talk radio shows in the country.

Put it this way...I watched a good chunk of the Pats first Super Bowl win on NFLN last night. What a game btw. That team has come a long way as far as their demeanor and I'm sure there are peeps on this board who can verify that Bill Bels is an arrogant asshole, football geniuship not withstanding.

As to the game....sorry, but Merriman is wrong in the first place for doing that shit. If you are gonna meltdown on your home turf after a 14-2 season and literally choke away a game, you gots to deal. LT couldn't and that's a shame but I give him a pass based on emotion.

Agreed on all counts- watch the Pats third superbowl victory, when they are flapping their arms after every TD or INT.

They're not the Steelers by any stretch- but they're not the classy individuals that they are sometimes made out to be. And, there is no greater offender than Ellis Hobbs, who was the one the set LT off.

Case in point- this season's Indy game. He's flapping his gums all day to Marvin Harrison, who is catching balls at WILL. Finally, 3rd Qtr: Harrison makes that spectacular 3 yard TD catch falling out of bounds. Gets up, sees Hobbs- I love the video here- there is a moment of realization that it is Hobbs, and he deliberately winds up and spikes the ball in front of Hobbs' and the Refs face. He KNEW he was getting the 15 yard penalty, and it was entirely worth it. its a GREAT video clip.

That said- if you're gonna do a sack dance, you best be ready to get that thrown back at you. ESPECIALLY if you melt on your home turf.

• Is this a pick more for our lil' wager or do you favor the Bears in this matchup?

I actually like the Bears in this game ....The Saints loss to Washington exposed a few things.....and there's no way Chicago is going to lose this game at home ....The Saints had their Super Bowl last week....The Patriots had their Super Bowl last week....Chicago and Indy are on a mission..

Good call on your pre-season picks

EP takes the two African-American coaches while GP rolls w/ whitey.

Honestly, I think Saints win and Colts win. You referencing the Washington game? What has been exposed on the Bears for six straight games of 300+ yards and 25+ points per game? How are they going to stop Deuce when Shaun Alex pretty much ran wild and free through the middle of that D last week? These are my points on the matchups. We shall see.

• ....The Saints had their Super Bowl last week....

Oh man this one has got me heated. C'mon bro!!! NOLA!!! That's some wack reasoning...like these cats are gonna get shook and not even show up. Well now it's 9 AM and I'm pumped already. I'm gonna go kick one of my co-workers in the face. Maybe that Bears fan that works 2 doors down........

• Who's MikeSeaver got this week? Kitchen? Philly Phil? Rockadeezy?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Who's MikeSeaver got this week? Kitchen? Philly Phill[/b]? Rockadeezy?

I have no damn idea who's gonna win this weekend... just like most of the games this season, put the names in a hat and pull one out. This has been the most confusing NFL season to figure out in my lifetime, and that's a lot of cotdamn NFL seasons My preseason predictions ended up being fairly on point, but on a week-by-week basis? Not much of a clue. Rozelle's dream of parity in the NFL have finally come to fruition and the cliche "any given sunday" has never been truer.

That being said, I am pulling for the negro coaches to be victorious in honor of Charles Follis, Henry McDonald, Fritz Pollard, Rube Marshall, Bill Willis, Marion Motley, Woody Strode, Kenny Washington, Wally Triplett, Willie Thrower, Doug Williams, Lowell Perry, Art Shell, Ozzie Newsome and all the other black pioneers in the NFL who had to overcome some serious ass obstacles to blaze the path for others to follow (dumb muthafuckas like Ron Mexico Vick better recognize and realize that schitt, too). I'd like to see Dungy and Smith continue blazing that path.
    If NO wins, though, I'm cool with that, too. ANYBODY except for those cotdamned Patriots.

• I think NO wins the NFC...I think their O is better than Chicago's D right now, and I think their D can stop Chicago's Offense. I don't see weather as too big a factor- remember when everyone made a big deal about it, and then Vick smoked*haha* favre and the Pack? at this stage, that is overblown.

In the AFC...

I just think the Pats do it. Personally, I want it to happen, because I'll get to go to Miami for XLI. But, all in all, I just think that Belichick and Brady are too tough to beat this time of year.

I'm not saying the Colts can't win- NE's secondary is very beatable- I'm just saying I think the Patriots dominance continues, and they will bring home #4.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sunday afternoon will be...

• and they will bring home #4.

This is where you lose me homeboy.

• and they will bring home #4.

This is where you lose me homeboy.

would you go to Miami if your boys make it?