noz's jay-z post

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I notice no one else mentions what their first tape was.

They wouldnt want to admit they got off to a bad start. Or they missed the bus in terms of taste.

Yes lord knows y'all were so cool when you were 8 yrs old listening to roy orbison.

This:

I have no recollection of actually listening to it, though--I just thought the cover was indescribably cool.

it had a similar theme to your bed sheets?

That accusation would be moderately funny if I hadn't been seven years old at the time.

Step your game up.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Step your game up.

Back to the topic somewhat.

A couple of yrs ago when vol3 was bubblin', my young caucasoid co-worker was all on Jay-Z's jock.
    So i hit him off w/ the Streets Is Watching VHS, to give him some insight on his early solo career.
    He comes back the next day like - It was too gully for him.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I notice no one else mentions what their first tape was.

My first tape was "Purple Rain". My first hop hop tape may have been "Crushin'" by the Fat Boys. I can't remember.

Do I get a gold star?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Why listen to Jay-Z when you've got Da Grassroots, Arcee, Kardinal, Saukrates, Nefarius, Reign, Knaan, Hilltop, Ghetto Concept, Rascalz, Mr. Roam, Marvel, Dan-e-o, Choclair, Chekmate, Thrust, Bishop, K.O., Stokes, Louwop, Sibbs, Skitz, Jeleestone, Maestro, Colizhun?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think it's awesome that the three Google ad subjects I just got for this page were:

Irritable Bowel
    Irritable Bowel Disease
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Why listen to Jay-Z when you've got Da Grassroots, Arcee, Kardinal, Saukrates, Nefarius, Reign, Knaan, Hilltop, Ghetto Concept, Rascalz, Mr. Roam, Marvel, Dan-e-o, Choclair, Chekmate, Thrust, Bishop, K.O., Stokes, Louwop, Sibbs, Skitz, Jeleestone, Maestro, Colizhun?

my man:

a lot of those dudes probally LOVE jay-z.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I think it's awesome that the three Google ad subjects I just got for this page were:

Irritable Bowel
    Irritable Bowel Disease
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Wtf this isn't a Killa Season thread.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

my man:

Who the hell are those people. More Canadians? Keep it real, eh.

my man:

so what's your point?

and i'm not your man, my girl would beg to differ.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread was crazy.

Priority Records was as major an indie as you can get. I don't consider Priority an "indie" in any meaningful definition of the term.

I'm a big Jay-Z fan but I'd never suggest RD > Illmatic.

RD > anything else Nas ever put out however.

I always liked Vol 3 despite the wack shit. Especially after the mega-wack shit on BP2, Vol 3 sounded even better.

I even like "S. Carter" despite Amil.

No comment on the Mariah joint however.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I even like "S. Carter" despite Amil.

I can see you driving over the Bay Bridge, singing into the sunroof

Competition is... NAAAADAAAAAAA

Toronto represent!

Seriously, tho. I'm not a big Jay-Z fan, but I'd rather rock his worst record than play Choclair.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Toronto represent!

Seriously, tho. I'm not a big Jay-Z fan, but I'd rather rock his worst record than play Choclair.

I dunno... Choclair -21 Years is dope besides that

Toronto represent!

ok before anyone else starts acting a wise ass and hating on me...

...let me just say, the only reason i put this list together is to show some kids that there is more to canadian hip hop than swollen members, who are long dead and buried, and have been tactically erased from my memory. ( and i know some wise ass will come in and be like but "yo what about their early shit?"... so don't bother, i'm ahead of you.)

Toronto represent!

...let me just say, the only reason i put this list together is to show some kids that there is more to canadian hip hop than swollen members, who are long dead and buried, and have been tactically erased from my memory. ( and i know some wise ass will come in and be like but "yo what about their early shit?"... so don't bother, i'm ahead of you.)

Were Swollen Members big outside of Canada? There was a time where I'd always hear their schitt played in clubs. They have to be the worst Canadian hip hop act ever.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm a big Jay-Z fan but I'd never suggest RD > Illmatic.

RD > anything else Nas ever put out however.

Absolutely.

anyone who's produced a rap record should know that MCs often have terrible taste in beats

this sets off a

debate.

can a rapper who doesn't produce really create a classic album?

to me ready to die was never a five mic album coz of the sloppy way the beats were put together.
    same thing for reasonable doubt. lifestylez ov da poor & dangerous.

was illmatic a fluke?

see labels don't give a shit to put together a classic album, thats why people are going around saying hip hop is dead, people like puffy and jay z killed it blah blah

and we should define classic... i'm saying like just coz an album sold a certain amount of records or how many gangstas bump it doesn't make it a classic. this is a crate diging forum, i'm talking about a classic piece of wax. wax that people will be digging for and buying for decades to come...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    See Ghostface. Dogs doesn't produce really (unless you count Holla and the like) but dogs has a golden ear. It is true that most rappers can't pick beats to save their lives though.

to me ready to die was never a five mic album coz of the sloppy way the beats were put together.
    crazy talk

producer talk

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

same thing for reasonable doubt.

You've never heard Reasonable Doubt, remember?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

don't you fools know the first rule of hatting??!!

1. one does not have to hear an entire album in order to hatt on it?

plus if it was really a five mic album somebody would have persuaded me to listen to it by now.

• Options

Toronto represent!

Were Swollen Members big outside of Canada? There was a time where I'd always hear their schitt played in clubs. They have to be the worst Canadian hip hop act ever.

We're they ever big in Canada? Dude are kief, straight up. Give me BRass Tacks anyday.

Scarbooooroughhhhhhhh!

K.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    soulstrut makes me cry when its commentary on canadians aludes to "swollen members"...even tom fucking green from organized rhyme or kish or mr metro would be better, but swollen members is fucking low. maybe i'l make a nickelback and swollen member mashup and put this country out of its misery

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This is one of the sillier questions I've ever seen asked. No offense.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    maybe i'l make a nickelback and swollen member mashup and put this country out of its misery

do it or youre soft

for some reason Swollen Memebers used to get lots of love in LA, I'm guiessing it had something to do with their affiliation with Evidence/ Dilated Peoples

This is one of the sillier questions I've ever seen asked. No offense.

yeh that doesn't quite sound right, i was high when i wrote that. i'm even more stoned now, so maybe i shouldn't pose any more questions.
    but thanks for keeping me in check mr. o dub. keep on, keeping on.
    i haven't had this much fun arguing about jay z since like 1997.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    was illmatic a fluke?

NO.

But I'll say this. When the album dropped the radio had played 5 songs from the LP. For months, cats had heard a handful of cuts already. So when I copped it, I expected to get at least 7 new joints. That didnt happen. So when cats talk that IILMATIC shit, I dont see it cause all i got was 5 new songs. I coundnt and still cant go bananas about this. But if your somewhere else, i could see how it got u open.

1. The Genesis - new
    2. N.Y. State Of Mind - old
    3. Life's A Bitch - old
    4. The World Is Yours - old
    5. Halftime - old
    6. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park) - new
    7. One Love - new
    8. One Time 4 Your Mind - new
    9. Represent - new
    10. It Ain't Hard To Tell - old[/b]

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hilarious thread. a lil embarrassed by my tone but overall good discussion, except for the kid who kept pushing canadian rap

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I have never met anyone who shat on OB4CL

In the several years since, not one but *two* Respected Soulstrut Dudes have dissed OB4CL in my presence! So there's that.

I have been jamming Reasonable Doubt a lot over the last 6 months, and I've never been more convinced of Noz' error.