noz's jay-z post

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Too bad L never made albums as strong as Jay's.

His one album was better than any lp Jay-Z dropped.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I missed that one.

H*ward you are a funny cat.

• okay not to change the subject hear. But we all know jay has hits and misses. BUT.......... If you take all of Jay's best songs and make a best of leaving off the cheese; Song for song he MIGHT (don't kill me for this) have the best catalogue of songs for any mc ever. (Not saying best emcee, just best songs)

OR ???????

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    How can you like rap music and not like Jay-Z? You don't have to think he's the GOAT, but if you don't like Jay-Z at any level, you're just not a very intelligent rap listener.

Dude can rap.

-b

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dude I swear that your my boy Moss but you're not. He's the only other guy I know who just doesn't listen to Jiggaman.

i know even attic had the black album in his car, i was thinking like "damn man he got to you too".

it's a shame, jigga haters are few and far between...

jigga haters stand up!

Why hate, though? Uneven as his recording career has been, he's undeniably one of the great emcees of the age. I can't understand how someone could be a fan of hip-hop and not at least want to listen to the work of a great emcee. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose, and I haven't always liked all of Jay's output, but if you've never listened to an entire album of his, then how could you realistically compare him to Big L at his peak on the basis of a freestyle?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    noz is wrong

agreed.

Reasonable Doubt = CLASSIC

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Can anyone convincingly explain why they think Reasonable Doubt is so good? I think folks who think its overrated have made a case.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How can you like rap music and not like Jay-Z? You don't have to think he's the GOAT, but if you don't like Jay-Z at any level, you're just not a very intelligent rap listener.

Dude can rap.

-b

yes and kenny g can play sax...

i don't know man, i listen to beats first, lyrics second, maybe that's why i'm not a very intelligent rap listener. i've never rapped neither, but i have some emcee friends that don't rate him either.

i don't know someone recommend me an album of his that i might enjoy, and i'll do my best to get a burned copy, or download it or something.
    the blueprint? is that the one?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

jigga haters stand up!

It's not that I haven't heard his albums. It's not that I haven't liked a few of his songs.

It's that I absolutely hate Jay-Z's personality and thus just about every aspect of his rapping, including his whiny voice, all of his biting and shine-wiping positioning, and most importantly his uncanny tendency to express just how incredibly clever he thinks he is whenever he thinks he's done something even remotely clever. My sister is like that with lying. She can't lie without making this twisted face that immediately gives her lies away. Jay's song Girls, Girls, Girls is probably the best example. He gets such a fuckin disgusting kick out of himself that I can't even begin to hear what he's saying...as in I ain't trying to hear that bullshit. It's like listening to a comedian who cracks up to all of his own jokes.

Anyway, I've just had to chalk it up as a difference in taste, because way too many sane people that I have known simply love Jay-Z. I can recognize some greatness there for sure, but I can also recognize that even John Rocker could throw a mean fastball.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Hatters rejoice, you'll find plenty of folks who dislike Jay over at thebreaks.com (along with every other rapper from the past 10 years who's still alive)

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Can anyone convincingly explain why they think Reasonable Doubt is so good? I think folks who think its overrated have made a case.

Do you really care anyway?

By the way just re-read this old O-dub review from 1995

Jay-Z: In My LIfe Time b/w I Can't Get WIt That

Last heard on the B-side of Mic Geronimo's "Masta IC", Jay-Z comes with a wicked debut single. The album cut of In My Life Time drops some ill piano drops while Jay-Z comes with a swift lyrical style that should impress people from coast-to-coast. The B ig Jaz remix comes from a whole 'nother vibe, very mellowed out and cool, kinda like the difference between Big L's versions of "MVP." I Can't Get Wit That is produced by DJ Clark Kent and the beat can only be described as fun and lively. A solid 12", d efinitely look out for this one. (PAYDAY) 89BPM, remix:85BPM, I.C.G.W.T.:90BPM.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Do you really care anyway?

No I like 'discussions' where someone just asserts their opinion without supporting it.

If yr gonna bother disagreeing with people who think Reasonable Doubt is overrated, why not make a case for its classic status?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    noz is wrong

you present a compelling argument.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Dude can rap.

In My Lifetime
    I Can't Get With That
    Ain't No Nigga
    Dead Presidents
    Brooklyn's Finest
    22 Twos
    Can't Knock the Hustle
    Friend or Foe
    Where I'm From
    A Million and One Questions
    Streets is Watching
    Friend or Foe 98
    Who You Wit
    Face Off
    Hard Knock Life
    Nigga What, Nigga Who
    So Ghetto
    Do It Again (Put Ya Hands Up)
    Snooopy Track
    Big Pimpin
    I Just Wanna Love U (Give It To Me)
    Best of Me (Remix)
    I'll Be
    This Can't Be Life
    Parking Lot Pimpin
    1-900-Hustler
    Soon You'll Understand
    Squeeze 1st
    Where Have You Been
    Do My
    Fiesta
    Takeover
    Girls, Girls, Girls
    Hola Hovito
    Heart of the City
    All I Need
    Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)
    What We Do
    Excuse Me Miss
    Excuse Me Miss Again (La La La)
    Storm
    2 Many Hoes
    Interlude
    December 4th
    Encore
    Change Clothes
    Dirt Off Your Shoulder
    Threat
    99 Problems
    Public Service Announcement
    Lucifer
    Is That Your Bitch
    South Philly Niggas
    not to mention:
    Frontin
    Guess Who's Back
    Yes
    Beware of the Boys
    Diamonds from Sierra Leone
    Crazy in Love
    It's Obvious
    Dear Summer
    Go Crazy Remix
    I Ain't Heard of That Remix
    Get Throwed
    Wake Up
    The Streets

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ...missed some of his best!

Can I Live ("Keep one eye open like CBS, you see me stressed riiiight?" Isaac Hayes jacks are classic)
    A Week Ago
    Money Cash Hoes
    It's Hot (Some Like It Hot)
    Can I Get A...
    Anything (off the Beanie Sigel album)
    Come and Get Me
    Poppin' Tags
    Meet the Parents

"No kids, but trust me I know how to raise a gun."

Also, that last studio bonus track on that jay-z unplugged CD (with that "I hear the people talk..." sample)

Good call on "I'll Be," underrated.

noz is wrong

you present a compelling argument.

There is no argument.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    shine-wiping positioning

This phrase refers to his attempts to bury the legacy of Project Blowed?

ill piano drops

Also:

1. Reasonable Doubt

2. Volume 2/Blueprint

3. Volume 3

4. Black Album

5. Volume 1/Dynasty/Blueprint 2

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    There is no argument.

I hate it when the opinion of an individual differs from my own (or the popular) opinion. Wouldn't talking about music be a lot more interesting if we all just agreed on everything?

Also:

1. Reasonable Doubt

2. Blueprint

3. Volume 3/Volume 2/Dynasty

4. Black Album

5. Volume 1/Blueprint 2

shine-wiping positioning

That should be shine-swiping, but it sounds like you took it that way anyway.

My favorite is when elitist NYC fucks say that Jay-Z "legitimized" Juvenile's Ha and thus Cash Mony at large by appearing on a remix of the song.

Same thing goes for UGK.

On a similar note, I also recall a certain strutter saying how he didn't realize that the beat to Back Then was any good until he heard it with Jay-Z rhyming over it.

And thanks to noz posting the song to his XXL blog, I'm finally going to get to listen to that old Originators track that y'all said excused Jay for his blatant Blowed biting on Nigga What, Nigga Who (the only instance of Jay biting the Blowed that I have ever made). Once I get home and I'm able to listen to the track, I'm either gonna laugh or cry...but I will be honest about it either way.

There is no argument.

I hate it when the opinion of an individual differs from my own (or the popular) opinion. Wouldn't talking about music be a lot more interesting if we all just agreed on everything?

This isn't about being contrary, it's about being incorrect. You, sir, are the latter.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

My favorite is when elitist NYC fucks say that Jay-Z "legitimized" Juvenile's Ha and thus Cash Mony at large by appearing on a remix of the song.

Are you referring to any Soulstrut member NYC fucks with this comment or just NYC fucks in general?

Are you referring to any Soulstrut member NYC fucks with this comment or just NYC fucks in general?

For whom the bell tolls...

Also:

1. Reasonable Doubt

2. Blueprint

4. Black Album

5. Volume 1/Blueprint 2

That Memph Bleek solo track on Dynasty pushes it all the way up to tier 3 for you, huh?

Also:

1. Reasonable Doubt

2. Blueprint

4. Black Album

5. Volume 1/Blueprint 2

That Memph Bleek solo track on Dynasty pushes it all the way up to tier 3 for you, huh?

Get right dude... it's the Rick Rock slap

shine-wiping positioning

That should be shine-swiping, but it sounds like you took it that way anyway.

Same thing goes for UGK.

Shied, you are boxing with straw men; while I don't doubt that this city of millions contains a few elitist f**ks that fit that description, I am not aware of any of them having contributed to this discussion.

On a similar note, I also recall a certain strutter saying how he didn't realize that the beat to Back Then was any good until he heard it with Jay-Z rhyming over it.

Yes, and?

...Drivel which requires no response...

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Dynasty is dope, i've never understand the hate for it, it's right up there with his best in my opinion... most of the beats on vol.1 and 2 were doo doo, and volume 3 was crazy average as well...
    Slap is a corny word for a beat as well, and pronouncing "tune" as "toon" is amusing to me...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This isn't about being contrary, it's about being incorrect. You, sir, are the latter.

At what point did music criticism become an empirical science?

At what point did music criticism become an empirical science?

Yeah, Paychex, it's not basketball.